5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hard knocking noise when going WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM

hard knocking noise when going WOT

ok so this is weird... i dont know if its a motor mount or what.. but all i know is when i'm going WOT, it feets like there is a hard inconsistant knocking... its strong enough that i feel it in my feet on the floor board...

it happens a couple times and so today i went home... I parked the car, popped the hood... didnt see anything outta whack... pull the ebrake on, put it in reverse, motor rocks just a tad.. then kinda quickly jab the throttle and it rocks but i dont know how much is too much... put it in drive.. and same thing.. rocks pretty good but i dont know how much makes it considered a bad mount..

Arent there poly inserts? vs trying to press out the rubber?

any clue?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Exhaust thumping the floorboards, maybe? Used to get the same thing before replacing the mount bushings. Hated it. WOT was kind of embarrassing.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Exhaust thumping the floorboards, maybe? Used to get the same thing before replacing the mount bushings. Hated it. WOT was kind of embarrassing.
ok do what? the motor mounts you mean? yea its like when i go wot.. its just banging away!

the car is smooth, the gears are smooth, its not like when i'm going WOT that the car shakes or studders all the way to red line no... its smooth but its banging as it goes when i'm wot..

if it is the motor mounts, what makes it do that? the engine rocking back and forth? but if its under staight WOT wouldnt it be pushing and pushing?

So what did you do Rochester? just replaced the front and rear motor mounts? is there inserts? or do i just buy good used low mileage motor mounts from the junk yard or something?

i thought i read somewhere you take off the motor mounts, depress the rubber and the metal ring.. and press in the ES motor mounts...

i wish there were just inserts..
Old 10-28-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MidN1te
ok do what? the motor mounts you mean? yea its like when i go wot.. its just banging away!

the car is smooth, the gears are smooth, its not like when i'm going WOT that the car shakes or studders all the way to red line no... its smooth but its banging as it goes when i'm wot..

if it is the motor mounts, what makes it do that? the engine rocking back and forth? but if its under staight WOT wouldnt it be pushing and pushing?

So what did you do Rochester? just replaced the front and rear motor mounts? is there inserts? or do i just buy good used low mileage motor mounts from the junk yard or something?

i thought i read somewhere you take off the motor mounts, depress the rubber and the metal ring.. and press in the ES motor mounts...

i wish there were just inserts..
Under load, the engine will lift. Your original mount inserts are getting less ridged with age, so the engine lifts a little more even, thereby moving your exhaust just enough so that the resonance causes it to bang against something. Or so the theory goes... I'm not a mechanic.

I had the front and rear mount inserts replaced with ES bushings; (in reality, the side-mounts since our FWD engine is sideways.) For me, the knocking went away just like that. Gone.

Of course, I've got this visceral vibration now, but I rather like that.

You have an automatic, however, and the mounts are different. You're going to have to research the AT mounts.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:37 PM

Under load, the engine will lift. Your original mount inserts are getting less ridged with age, so the engine lifts a little more even, thereby moving your exhaust just enough so that the resonance causes it to bang against something. Or so the theory goes... I'm not a mechanic.

I had the front and rear mount inserts replaced with ES bushings; (in reality, the side-mounts since our FWD engine is sideways.) For me, the knocking went away just like that. Gone.

You have an automatic, however, and the mounts are different. You're going to have to research the AT mounts.
DAMNIT! lol

i need automatic ones then i suppose..

if anything i'm sure low mileage mounts for the auto would be suffice for awhile ya?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have polyurethane filled mounts front & back for an auto 5.5 gen. $100 shipped, paypal is Kevgoods@hotmail.com
Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
I have polyurethane filled mounts front & back for an auto 5.5 gen. $100 shipped, paypal is Kevgoods@hotmail.com
And there you go! See, you've got options. This forum is awesome.

Take your time to research mount bushings for the AT 5.5, and lay off the throttle for a while. (Yeah, right )
Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 PM

And there you go! See, you've got options. This forum is awesome.

Take your time to research mount bushings for the AT 5.5, and lay off the throttle for a while. (Yeah, right )
DAAAhahaha... i was thinking year right and then BAM you said it lol..

actually i have been laying off because of this.. kinda freaks me out..
Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM

how long have they been used? why are you getting rid of them now?

how is the vibration problem?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:34 PM

see the thing is, i'm still not sure if thats my problem..

but then again.. i'm not really feeling the knocking at the wheels or anything, i can feel it in the floor board.. like at my feet..
Old 10-28-2009, 06:44 PM

i have a rear motor mount broken that ive been too poor to fix (dealer wants $330 WTF)

my only problems are some funny sounds between 2000-3000 rpm that you can only hear if you turn off the air and the radio.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
i have a rear motor mount broken that ive been too poor to fix (dealer wants $330 WTF)

my only problems are some funny sounds between 2000-3000 rpm that you can only hear if you turn off the air and the radio.
see my problem is its like knocking like crazy when i'm flooring it...
Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Either your mounts or it could be your flex pipe.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM

actually i have been laying off because of this.. kinda freaks me out..
Yep. I went through the same thing at the beginning of the year. I was so self-conscious about hard acceleration, knowing I'd go over the edge and then BANG! BANG! BANG! under the car. I'd immediately lay off the throttle and feel like an idiot. It's like the whole world is watching as your Maxima sounds like a clunker.

Your exhaust is slapping the underside of the car. You could possibly adjust how the pipes are hung, but in all likelihood your engine has too much vertical play because of tired engine mount bushings.

What else could it possibly be?

You could install the NWP Torque Link Connector, but I suspect Aaron would suggest you only use that if you had strong mount bushings.

Here's a suggestion: contact Brian Catts at Cattman. If he can't sell you bushings, he'll surely give you good advice.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 PM

Check your axles and bearings.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 AM

worst case scenario have a mechanic do a VI. or if youre equally desperate, take it to your friendly nissan dealer and pay $110. I'm sure they'll find something wrong.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM

Thanks..

Rochester it makes sense.. seems like i'm having the same symptoms..

i think i'm going to get those motor mounts from KRRZ350 but he hasnt replied to me yet..
Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks..

Rochester it makes sense.. seems like i'm having the same symptoms..

i think i'm going to get those motor mounts from KRRZ350 but he hasnt replied to me yet..
Do you have any sense that the banging is on the driver or passenger side of your car?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Do you have any sense that the banging is on the driver or passenger side of your car?
man it feels at my feet lol...like the middle front of the car or something... its not on the left or right.. its just the whole frontal area where my feet are...

simliar to your situation?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM

man it feels at my feet lol...like the middle front of the car or something... its not on the left or right.. its just the whole frontal area where my feet are...

simliar to your situation?
Not the way I remember it. I always felt the knock was a passenger-side thing in the floorboards. But that could all be in my head, making sense of it once the problem was identified. Sorry, I probably just messed you up with that line of thought. Oops.

Whether your exhaust needs adjustment, or the mount bushings are weak with age, or both... regardless, the banging your describing is probably exhaust pipe slapping the floorboards.

I'm curious now to hear to solution. Get her fixed and let us know.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 PM

Not the way I remember it. I always felt the knock was a passenger-side thing in the floorboards. But that could all be in my head, making sense of it once the problem was identified. Sorry, I probably just messed you up with that line of thought. Oops.

Whether your exhaust needs adjustment, or the mount bushings are weak with age, or both... regardless, the banging your describing is probably exhaust pipe slapping the floorboards.

I'm curious now to hear to solution. Get her fixed and let us know.
hmmm i drove around tonight right quick... did a pull and it is kinda on the passenger side...

i think it may be the mounts.. either way i already sent him money tonight. If its not the problem, which i beg it to be, at least when i do the whole modding that the extra power is held strong with the mounts...

cuz i'm curious as to the fix as well...

i'm wondering if the bearings and hubs need replacing at this age and miles too
Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 AM

i'm wondering if the bearings and hubs need replacing at this age and miles too
That's a very slippery slope, replacing things as preventative maintenance. I'm totally supportive of upgrades, but otherwise I mostly recommend you wait for things to go bad or break.

If you really got the itch to head things off, then spend a little up-front money at a trusted mechanic for diagnosis on whether its necessary. Because really all you want is peace of mind. It's a lot cheaper if you spend $50 to hear your mechanic say, "Don't worry about it."
Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 AM

this is true..

Well i guess first things first.. mounts... i'm waiting for dood to hit me back cuz i sent him the cash requested..

i guess we'll just start there...like i said i figured that would be a good thing to have any which way i look at it...
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 AM

I have several of them, here's a quick faq:

Originally Posted by vastmax
are these new? how is the in-cabin vibration? This is my DD and I dont want it to feel/sound like my car is going to fall apart.
Thanks!
"I've installed these and the ES inserts quite a few times and everybody is always scared about the vibration etc like you, but then once it's done all they feel is a barely noticeable increased firmness to the normal steering wheel vibration at idle. I actually like it, others like it as well, and I haven't had anybody that was bothered by it at all. It's the same thing with aluminum flywheels, everytime I sell one people are scared it's going to cause there car to drop revs to quickly between shifts, or chatter, but then once they get it on they were like "What was I thinking, I love this thing"
"......and the nice thing is it's the entire mounts, so you just have to unbolt the crossmember & mounts, switch these mounts onto the crossmember, and then re-install crossmember, vs the ES ones which are a PITA to cut & chisel out the old ones and put the new ones in."
Explain to me your process to fill these with poly... From what you've written, it just sounds like you drained them them added silicone. What grade silicone did you use?
It's not silicone, it's a 2-part urethane casting, 80A hardness shore is perfect. Also, I don't use the liquid filled electronic auto mounts to start with, harder to work with + I don't like to use trashed ones anyways, and those ones are usually trashed. I start with good condition manual ones, they come out as good or better than ES ones and the install for you or whoever does it is sooooo much easier. $100 shipped, paypal is Kevgoods@hotmail.com.
Sounds awesome! well in my case... do you think its actually the mounts? i ask this because when i floor it i can feel like hard knocking under my foot board and its sometimes when i go over rough roads... i can feel play in the front... but i dont know of the engine and tranny is bouncin up n down or something..

its not the shocks or mounts cuz those have been replaced....

either way i think these are great investments.. but its like, i hope i'm not spending money toward the wrong direction...

How fast can you get them to me?

another question... with them being in, is there any play? rocking? when i drive i want the power to go to the wheels if you know what i mean.. its like when im cruising... and i left of the pedal its like i let off, then a split second the power goes down.. i push the gas and kinda takes the split second to hit again but it feels there is movement in the engine bay.... does sound like mounts huh...

well i'm gonna paypal you the money..

so all i gotta do is unbolt the bolt between the bushing attached to the motor, on front and back.. then just unbolt that cross member? and it just pulls right down?

do you think my knocking is what Rochester was saying? maybe the exhaust is hitting? and bouncing off something?
Yes, it's more than likely the exhaust hitting from too much play in the mounts, the fact that you can really FEEL it in the floorboard tells me that, keep in mind allthough I am a mechanic I'm not looking at the car. You can do a visual inspection, from underneath, you must move the thin rubber insulators around and make a very close look at the mount all the way around the inner sleeve. Or you'll know when you do the install, your (Most likely rear) mount will probably have the inner metal sleeve seperated bad.

Correct on the install, auto's may have to snip wires for electronic mounts, preferably close to the mount and then taped. This causes no lights or issues.

I have two sets getting done over the weekend, will have them out by Wednsday, will receive by next weekend.

Quick rundown on install, don't mind the gatorade on my keyboard.

Estimated time is about 1-1.5 hr's for a novice. Have jack/stands/chocks, 17 & 19mm 1/2" sockets & wrenches handy + typical maxima tools. (Pliers, flatheads, 8,10, 12, 14 <-- you won't use most of those but you should have them anyways because you can pull your entire car apart with them)

Safely jack car up & on stands with wheels chocked.

Remove the 4 17mm bolts holding x-member to chassis.

Disconnect any splashield clips/bolts, etc.

Unclip any harness' attaching to the motor mounts (o2 sensor, cps). Auto's must snip & tape wires for electronic mounts, don't worry: no lights.

Get as many 1/2" extensions as you can, you need like 2ft' worth to do this the easier way, and a 17mm. Turn steering wheel all the way to the right. Reach in through driverside wheel well, following tie rod end stick extensions + socket far in and unbolt the rear mount bolt all the way. Alternative is doing it from underneath but it's harder.

Unbolt the front mount from engine bay.

Get underneath again and pull bolts & crossmember.

Swap the new mounts onto the crossmember, preferably on a nice bench or your knees will hurt the next day.

Install the x-member, don't worry, you'll get all the bolts in after a few tries. Don't tighten any yet. Do the 2 long mount bolts first, and be prepared to tilt the engine by pushing up or down on exhaust, pass axle, etc to get the 2nd long bolt in & started. Don't be an idiot and strip the threads because you didn't actually get it in. Then do the 4 others, loose. If you can handle it, final tightening of all 6 bolts should be done with the vehicle on all 4 wheels, getting the front wheels on a little mound or curb can help.

Sorry no FSM's handy, I'll have tourqe specs + FSM pages included with mounts.

Last edited by KRRZ350; 10-30-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Good lord..

ok.. lol
Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 PM

I also have an AT 5.5 gen have swapped out my front & rear motor mounts, I was not getting noises simply wanted the engine to stay still in place, knight_yyz did the swap for me, he picked up for me a used cross member and mount and swapped all the sub bushing as well as made a sleeve which was pressed into the front mount first before pressing in the ES bushing. My engine now sits like rock no movement what so ever. below is a pic of the crossmember with all the new ES bushings just before being installed.

This is also AT with headers on the dyno machine with stock engine mounts you will see just how much the engine lifts under WOT, with the ES bushing in place the engine has no movement at all.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:52 PM

^^^
At 26 seconds into that, made me jump out of my chair!

Very cool, Ghost.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:42 PM

SERIOUSLY hahahaha i was like...umm... nothing's happening...............then BAM! hahahaha....

Sheesh!!! my engine moved like that when i had the car parked, ebrake on, in drive with the brake on and i would jab the gas and it rocks like that.. even worse i think...

not sure if its normal because i know at idle the liquid is soft.. but when pushed, it hardens up....

welp.. thats a convincer for me...

now i just gotta wait LOL!!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Thought the visual would convince you, here's the two videos that convinced me, The first one is in desperate need of some ES bushings before the engine climbs straight out - The second video is a 5.5 gen 6spd manual, headers a whole mess of other stuff on the dyno for a bit of fine tuning it has the ES bushings installed and you will see no movement

first vid lots of movement:
http://upload.streetfire.net/video/S...yno_111916.htm

one very sweet 5.5 6spd manual no movement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7FO-AhN64

Last edited by Ghost_54; 10-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Toolie

exhaust hanger in front of the cat.

If you snip the engine mount wires, disconnect the battery first, or you will blow a fuse. Been there done that.

that's a really hot maxima in the second vid

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-30-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
exhaust hanger in front of the cat.

If you snip the engine mount wires, disconnect the battery first, or you will blow a fuse. Been there done that.

that's a really hot maxima in the second vid

That def IS a very nice max! lol.. how much did the tune net on the gain of hp and tq?

Also that is very convincing.. even though that was a sentra but i see the point...

man i hope i can put down some good numbers lol
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 PM

OH and Knight.. you said you had a bad wheel bearing.. wat were your symptoms? sounds? feel like something is loose at the suspension? humming noise? thinking of replacing my hubs and bearings..
Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Toolie

253 whp 249 tq. The wheel bearing was like a whiny grinding noise, and was actually causing my y-pipe to bang against the engine crossmember.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
253 whp 249 tq. The wheel bearing was like a whiny grinding noise, and was actually causing my y-pipe to bang against the engine crossmember.
i'm wondering if that maybe my next project then...I'd like to go ahead and replace the wheel bearings whether i need them or not...

but that's in due time... first i wanna make sure the mounts fix my issue...

did you by any chance dyno the headers and bolts on FIRST before you tuned? becuase i'm wondering how much more power did the tune make after the initial install of headers and stuff.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 AM

I'd like to go ahead and replace the wheel bearings whether i need them or not...
...and the ball joints, and the tie-rod ends, and the radiator, and the brake lines, and the alternator, and the MAF. And maybe the windshield too, because that might crack.

I'm using sarcasm to make a point. Can you tell?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:16 AM

uh..................the brake lines are already coming...Stainless Steel to be exact!

the tie rods might be a good idea though lol

and yes i got the sarcasm
Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 AM

the tie rods might be a good idea though
Oh, crap.

MidN1te, if it gives you peace-of-mind or makes you happy, just do it, man.

Sometimes practical decisions can take the fun out of a hobby. I get that.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:06 AM

Be careful though, I wouldn't replace unnecessary oem parts with cheap replacements
Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 AM

OH and Knight.. you said you had a bad wheel bearing.. wat were your symptoms? sounds? feel like something is loose at the suspension? humming noise? thinking of replacing my hubs and bearings..
I have had to replace my wheel bearings and the symptom for me was the humming noise, not so noticable under 40km but the humming sound would increase as the speed increased.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
I have had to replace my wheel bearings and the symptom for me was the humming noise, not so noticable under 40km but the humming sound would increase as the speed increased.
What's the (approximate) parts & labor cost for a job like that, Ghost?

Quick Reply: hard knocking noise when going WOT