5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

3rd cv axle in 3 months?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 AM

3rd cv axle in 3 months?

I have a 00 SE, and have gone thru 3 passenger side axles in 3 months, although the 2st lasted 2 1/2 months. Normal Driving, it's the inner cv that goes. I just installed number 3 yesterday. the last one lasted 1 week. All were from advanced auto, the gsp brand.

I have also installed all new suspension during this time , new struts, mounts, wheel bearing, drivers side axle, stab link, tie rod ends, lower control arm.

Could this just be bad axles, I know raxles, I didn't have time to wait, car is a daily driver, by my wife, car has 140k miles on it. I still love it, and is is a 5 speed.

Ideas?
thanks!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 AM

how low is the car? is it lowered? if so maybe its too low u might have to raise it
Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by NYC2K2MaXx
how low is the car? is it lowered? if so maybe its too low u might have to raise it

Doesn't have anything to do with it.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by dstrawsb
I have a 00 SE, and have gone thru 3 passenger side axles in 3 months, although the 2st lasted 2 1/2 months. Normal Driving, it's the inner cv that goes. I just installed number 3 yesterday. the last one lasted 1 week. All were from advanced auto, the gsp brand.

I have also installed all new suspension during this time , new struts, mounts, wheel bearing, drivers side axle, stab link, tie rod ends, lower control arm.

Could this just be bad axles, I know raxles, I didn't have time to wait, car is a daily driver, by my wife, car has 140k miles on it. I still love it, and is is a 5 speed.

Ideas?
thanks!
Is it the boot itself blowing, or the actual joint giving out?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM

what do you mean you have gone through 3 in three months? they started popping or failed in some other way? Being extremely lowered puts a ton of stress on cv joints but since it's your wives dd i doubt it is that low.

I am pretty sure the axles you are getting from advanced are rebuilt. So as i see it you have two options, keep replacing with advanced axles until you get one that wasn't put together by a retard or get one from raxles. If the joint is just popping a little bit you are ok to drive on it for a little while
Old 11-01-2009, 11:26 AM

3rd axle, reply

First I'd like to say, you guys are awesome, maxima.org rocks!

These are all new GSP Axles, not remanufactured, not lowered sitting on stock shocks and springs. I just put on KYB GR2's.
When I say gone thru", the failure is a thump thump, under the car, at the inner cv, it starts thumping during deceleration or bumps in the road, really bad vibration.

The first axle didn't want to install right, the inner joint pulled out and wouldn't go in, had to assist it with some light tapping. The inner joint seemed to pull right out of the cv cage. The 2cd one went in much better, no problems, but about 20 miles after the install it started to clunk during acceleration and deceleration, the inner joint, clunked for 4 days then thump thump thump, then figured take it out before it causes damage.

3rd one is in now, I heard a thump yesterday on the test drive, I thought maybe engine mounts, they are stock from factory.

I am going to order a raxle.com half shaft next week, but just wondering what could cause it to fail.

Wheels are factory 17's, and new tires fro tirerack.

Advanced Auto counter clerks, had lots of stupid ideas, but didn't want to finger the $69 axle as the problem.

Thanks, again!

Don
Old 11-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I have the same issue but a vibration that is killing me. The mech has replace it 3 times both sides and still there is the F*&^* vibration.. wondering is that what the problem is. GSP is made in China... I have to replace a motor mount.. once that is done if it still vibrating.. will talk to the mech so he can order from raxels
Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 PM

it's not usually the inner joint that has problems, the outer joint does a lot more articulation. This would make me lean towards the clunk you are hearing being related to something else, possible engine mounts like you said.

On the other hand if the noise goes away when you replace the half shaft then that is pretty telling. like you implied, for $69 you cant expect great quality.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 AM

let me know how it goes after you install the half shaft because i'm in the same boat you are. had the axle replaced but there is still some vibration at WOT. i thought maybe the wheels need balancing, but i've had bent wheels before and it's not quite the same vibration im feeling now.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM

3 days into new cv axle

well, i'm 3 days into the new axle. No complaints from my wife yet, but I have heard a clunk, i'm betting motor mount, so I'm going to be proactive and replace the right motor mount this weekend.

I expect a bad motor mount is stressing the axle.

Don
Old 11-04-2009, 10:35 AM

Wheel bearing?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 AM

that's all what I wanted to know
Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Wheel bearing?

Originally Posted by 2slow
Wheel bearing?
Nope, wheel bearing is new installed by a professional machine shop 3 months ago. Wheel bearings usually growl then grind.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Another week, no major axle noise

Well another week has gone by, axle is still functional, although, I do here a noise, sound like a low hum, not sure what it is, could be cv joint. I know the back tires are getting near the end of life, gonna check them tomorrow. Sean and I replaced the right motor mount on Wednesday. It was missing the upper portion of rubber, idle is much more steady, going to order the rest of the motor mounts and just replace them all. I just hope the hum isn't the transmission.

The manuals are as hard as nails I thought. I have 175k on my 00 Max, 5 speed and no problems.

I'll keep updating the post.
Don

Originally Posted by dstrawsb

Ideas?
thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:41 PM

RAXLES only makes CV axles for the L (driver's side) of 5th gens.
I'm am currently running on Advance Auto (GSP) axles as well. I'm lowered on coilovers.
The GSP axles are new, NOT remanufactured, but obviously aren't of equal quality to OEM Nissan axles. I feel a slight vibration here n there under acceleration but no other issues.
Perhaps, it's a motor mount in my ride too. An 02 SE with 157,000 miles.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

GSP axles

So . . . what's the word on GSP axles? I'm currently running a GSP (advance auto) on the right side of my 00 SE, MT. I've noticed a slight vibration above
70mph that started just after I installed axle. I'm also trying to identify what is causing the right transmission seal to leak. I installed a new seal (beck/arnley) when I first changed shaft and then tried again with a Nissan seal. Both leaked. I'm wondering if it's the axle? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'd rather not spend another Saturday morning under my car.