5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Not a fan of the chrome window trim... What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:17 AM

Not a fan of the chrome window trim... What are my options?

I recently picked up a 2002 Maxima SE and am just not a big fan of the chrome OEM window trim. In searching threads, I've noticed that some 5th gens don't have that. What are my options as far as making a switch? Any idea how much it would cost? And how hard is it to make the switch?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 AM

Go figure... The search function does work well on this site:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ndow-trim.html

But, I do have a friend who is a powdercoater and could do it for free. Wouldn't that look much cleaner than tape??
Old 11-07-2009, 05:55 AM

I'm sure it would look better powdercoated. That would even be better than painting. If you can have it done that would be the way to go.

Here's a pick of mine with the painted trim.

If you really want to black out you can do this too.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 11-07-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:18 AM

I know I've said this before, but it's worth repeating if it helps you make a decision.

Go to radio shack and spend $4 on some black electrical tape. Tape up one side of your car. Stand back and look at it. Take a picture, forget about it for a few days, then come back to your picture and give it due consideration. It will give you a good-enough idea of what blacking out the chrome will look like.

I think the black trim looks good on a black car. And it might look good on yours, too. IMO, it doesn't work well on my sheer silver SE.

BTW, I remember when you bought that ride and posted that pic the first time. Very, very nice. So clean it hurts to look at.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM

Blackout tape search for trimbrite, thats what its called go to autozone or car parts store. or order it only
Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Personaly, I think gray luster with everything blacked out is sweet. Someone here had pictures of a gray luster blacked out and it was beautiful. I wish I could find those pictures again. They were very well done.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I know I've said this before, but it's worth repeating if it helps you make a decision.

Go to radio shack and spend $4 on some black electrical tape. Tape up one side of your car. Stand back and look at it. Take a picture, forget about it for a few days, then come back to your picture and give it due consideration. It will give you a good-enough idea of what blacking out the chrome will look like.

I think the black trim looks good on a black car. And it might look good on yours, too. IMO, it doesn't work well on my sheer silver SE.

BTW, I remember when you bought that ride and posted that pic the first time. Very, very nice. So clean it hurts to look at.
Are you serious about using electrical tape? Or is it just temporary to see how it would look? Electrical tape would not stick. You need to get trimbrite blackout tape. It has lasted through all sorts of weather and STILL looks amazing. And I think it looks amazing on lighter colored cars too. here it is on my sheer silver:

Old 11-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by pbn85
Are you serious about using electrical tape? Or is it just temporary to see how it would look? Electrical tape would not stick. You need to get trimbrite blackout tape. It has lasted through all sorts of weather and STILL looks amazing. And I think it looks amazing on lighter colored cars too. here it is on my sheer silver:
Of course not, man. I'm not an idiot. Well, not about this, at least.

My suggestion was for a simple way to see if you like the look before committing money and time.

Nice, clear picture, BTW. It should certainly help the OP consider this mod. You like it on the silver, I don't -- just a difference of opinion. My windows aren't tinted like yours, which probably has a lot to do with where I landed on the whole trim blackout thing.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM

Of course not, man. I'm not an idiot. Well, not about this, at least.

My suggestion was for a simple way to see if you like the look before committing money and time.

Nice, clear picture, BTW. It should certainly help the OP consider this mod. You like it on the silver, I don't -- just a difference of opinion. My windows aren't tinted like yours, which probably has a lot to do with where I landed on the whole trim blackout thing.
haha, yea I should have known you werent serious. Its a good idea to use electrical tape just to see how it looks then if he likes it he can go ahead and buy the proper tape.

The tint you see in that pic isnt there anymore...NYPD gave me way too many tickets for my tint (its 20% in that pic). Now I have it at 50% and during the day it almost looks like factory glass and the trimbrite tape is even MORE noticeable.

Come on, do it, you know you want to
Old 11-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Thanks man... I've really got a thing for Maxima's (since a 1997 was the first car I ever bought) and I take pride in making this one look as close to new as possible. I've still got a few things I want to do such as painting the rear bumper, new struts/spings (think I'm going with Illumina with H&R in front and EOM springs in rear), new short throw shifter with bushings, and then I'm done.

BTW: Just tinted in windows today with Carbon 42%. She looks sweet!

Back to the threat topic... If I do black out the trim, I'd like to make it a bit more perm. than tape. Plus, the tape looks like it would be a PITA to apply. How hard would it be to take off the trim and send it to my buddy to powdercoat?

Last edited by perfectmax; 11-07-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Here we go (blacked out trim with 50% tint - btw 50% tint looks amazing at night)

Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Here we go (blacked out trim with 50% tint - btw 50% tint looks amazing at night)
I like the new tint, it looks great in that photo. But without the dark windows, now I'm not feeling the love for the blacked-out trim against your sheer silver.

Where'd your rear window visor go? Could have swore I saw that in one of your photos.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:23 PM

why so light on the tint? cops in nyc busting your chops with darker tint?

Old 11-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Think I should paint my window trim black, too? If I do that, I'd also like to paint the chrome strip in the front/back bumpers, too. (Also, what kind of paint did ya'll use?)

I love this pict, but I think it would look better without the chrome strip in the bumpers.

Last edited by ZGadson; 11-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
why so light on the tint? cops in nyc busting your chops with darker tint?
haha, yea I should have known you werent serious. Its a good idea to use electrical tape just to see how it looks then if he likes it he can go ahead and buy the proper tape.

The tint you see in that pic isnt there anymore...NYPD gave me way too many tickets for my tint (its 20% in that pic). Now I have it at 50% and during the day it almost looks like factory glass and the trimbrite tape is even MORE noticeable.

Come on, do it, you know you want to
knock on wood, so far so good
Old 11-07-2009, 01:25 PM

20% ftl..had it on my other car, always got tickets. put 35% on, never had a problem. funny thing is, i couldnt see out the car at night with 20%!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:28 PM

I like the new tint, it looks great in that photo. But without the dark windows, now I'm not feeling the love for the blacked-out trim against your sheer silver.

Where'd your rear window visor go? Could have swore I saw that in one of your photos.
Ditto, like the tint but not the black trim. On Sheer Silver and Glacier Pearl and that other light goldish color the chrome trims looks better.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by perfectmax
Thanks man... I've really got a thing for Maxima's (since a 1997 was the first car I ever bought) and I take pride in making this one look as close to new as possible. I've still got a few things I want to do such as painting the rear bumper, new struts/spings (think I'm going with Illumina with H&R in front and EOM springs in rear), new short throw shifter with bushings, and then I'm done.

BTW: Just tinted in windows today with Carbon 42%. She looks sweet!

Back to the threat topic... If I do black out the trim, I'd like to make it a bit more perm. than tape. Plus, the tape looks like it would be a PITA to apply. How hard would it be to take off the trim and send it to my buddy to powdercoat?

2nd on that, it's real clean and enjoy it!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 PM

I like the chrome trim honestly, I was pumped when I bought my max and realized it had it... but I have sterling mist so its a little different than your's.

Did you tint your windows urself or pay a shop to do it?
I just had a shop do mine in sept... 5% on rear and sunroof with 30% on front, it looks real nice. So far no problems with the cops (knock on wood)

Anybody from NY know if I will get harassed by cops for tint as an out of towner when I come for maxus 10? Or is it mostly only a big deal for locals... Im not taking off my tint just for that trip
Old 11-08-2009, 06:16 PM

im going to be doing mine as well im tired of the chrome i want the murdered out look esp if i get my windows tinted in the spring
Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
Anybody from NY know if I will get harassed by cops for tint as an out of towner when I come for maxus 10?
You're driving all the way from Calgary? That's amazing.

I would guess NYC cops wouldn't harass someone with Canadian tags just because of tint.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Turbo'd Saab

wow this thread is all over the place.

removing the trim is a major PITA, the tape hold up just fine, it should last a good 7 years or better.

50% is the best tint to go with in NY, I haven't been harrassed yet for mine on my GTP
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 PM

I know in NY the back window can be as dark as you want. The sides are limited to 70%.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:28 PM

yea I took it off for that pic...I was in the process of re-doing the 3m double-sided tape to make it stick better

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
wow this thread is all over the place.

removing the trim is a major PITA, the tape hold up just fine, it should last a good 7 years or better.

50% is the best tint to go with in NY, I haven't been harrassed yet for mine on my GTP
yes, the trimbrite tape sticks amazingly well to the chrome. The way I did it looks factory. The only part where you can tell its tape is where the trim bends around the window...thats pretty hard, even considering how much the tape can be stretched. Im not THAT **** about these little imperfections though
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
RL.

I blacked out my trim with trimbrite tape..and I love how it looks...but then again my car is black, windows are black, wheels are black, sidemarkers are black...so I have a theme going on.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:14 PM

I recently bought a black max, it has the chrome strip too i hate it, im thinking of painting it soon.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 AM

I cant stand that chrome window trim on my sterling mist. IMO, I dont think plastic should ever be chrome. Whenever I see it, all I can think is cheap plastic.

If I ever find the time I will definitely black it out.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:57 PM

When i saw pbn85's under MOTM with the blacked out trim I thought it looked great.. I hate the chrome trim so much.. I bought the trimbrite tape and put it on last tuesday with little trouble.. Took me about 2 hours and all you need is a razor and some patience because you will make a mistake here and there.. in the end its well worth it
Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 PM

About the tints in NY, I have 20% in the backdoors and rear window and 35% upfront. I have been pulled over...a couple of times, during day and night, never got a ticket for it. I personally like the chrome trim but I have a sterling mist....
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM

self etching primer, trim paint(both rattle can), and a heck of alot of patience..just take ur time taping off...mine came out great
should have seen everyones face when i was doin it tho...suckers

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM

You're driving all the way from Calgary? That's amazing.

I would guess NYC cops wouldn't harass someone with Canadian tags just because of tint.
Yeah thats the plan... as long as I get get a couple weeks off work. I figure a week there, spend the weekend for maxus then a week home. Im gonna make a road trip out of it. I want to get to sea level and tear up the strip and see how I compare... I cant crack 15's at 1+mile but down in NY I should experience something quite different. Especially since I have my headers now. By the time that gets goin I should have a few more go fast goodies to help me out too.

As for the tint, thats what I figured... they can't expect out of towners to modify thier cars just for a visit.

arcrueda... that looks real nice with a black max for sure! just not my style... hell I might even be doing chrome door pillars later. To each his own
Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM

thanks..i took my pillars down to body paint
front window were just as dark tint, but nh statey made me rip em :P
Old 11-12-2009, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
IMO, I dont think plastic should ever be chrome. Whenever I see it, all I can think is cheap plastic.
That sounds like something I would say.