5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

DexronVI no good for JATCO auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 AM

DexronVI no good for JATCO auto

I have tried all kinds of legal soups on my tranny and recently had DexVI for 10K miles.

I would strongly suggest not trying it out since the fluid is so low in vis (6.0 cst) that my tranny started to slip. The slips didn't happen immediately meaning while the visocity was close to 6 cst it was fine but when it wore down it acted up.

I promptly switched back to Castrol MV Import ATF and the tranny behavior is back normal.

In short, DONT try DexVI on our trannies, it is not suited for our application.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:11 AM

How did you decide to use Dex VI? I thought DEX VI was specific to certain applications only and ours (Max) was not part of it.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
How did you decide to use Dex VI? I thought DEX VI was specific to certain applications only and ours (Max) was not part of it.
Good question. When I did a UOA on another ATF sample sometime back with <6.0cst the numbers were just fine and also the tranny shift predictably (remember Dexron starts off with 7.8 cst and fell below 6cst in this case). The visocity improvers don't hold up well on regular Dex.

DexVI solved that with a fortified friction modifiers and stable vis in and around 6 cst. But my tranny must have shredded it so much the pressure was so low resulting in slips. 6.0cst can be sustained only in the newer GM trannies.

Anyway, higher cst resulting in higher pressure and no slips.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 PM

Wow, how do you know so much about viscosities and such?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:01 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

ZOMG, lemme whip out my rheological p3n0r as well!!!!!

Seriously, the reason for which you're posting such tech-heavy terms is...
Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Anyone use B&M's Trick Shift ATF in a Maxima? I used it in my Chevelle, Cutlass and Accord with excellent results. The friction modifiers definitely firm up shifts. The original formula says not for use in 1998 and newer or electronically controlled transmissions but the synthetic version has no such disclaimer.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Flu...12-qt-box-only

Last edited by Scottwax; 11-14-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Good question. When I did a UOA on another ATF sample sometime back with <6.0cst the numbers were just fine and also the tranny shift predictably (remember Dexron starts off with 7.8 cst and fell below 6cst in this case). The visocity improvers don't hold up well on regular Dex.

DexVI solved that with a fortified friction modifiers and stable vis in and around 6 cst. But my tranny must have shredded it so much the pressure was so low resulting in slips. 6.0cst can be sustained only in the newer GM trannies.

Anyway, higher cst resulting in higher pressure and no slips.
Thanks for the heads up. Cst, HT/HS and VII are important indicators of transmission fluid compatibility with Maximas apparently and there is very little information on the actual fluid/oil characteristics so its easy to see how you were blindsided. Its better with lubricating oils but even there the actions of the last decade and a half have caused more confusion than knowledge. With the "M" oils, its looks like a trend that will continue.

I've noted that the difference in product data and MSDS between Mobil 1's Synthetic ATF and their ATF D/M are very similar with the Dino based ATF D/M actually looking better on several important characteristics such as superior flash point. Manufacturers have been slow to endorse the Synthetic while the ATK D/M has more endorsements. There may be a clever economic ploy with customers' price acceptance behind their endorsements, however, and a reluctance to give up routine maintenance dollars.

The long list on Mobil's website is actually their "wish list" although I'm relatively confident that the fluid is all that Mobil claims. Besides costs though, I'm disturbed by the Mobil 1 Synthetic's lack of differentiation from the ATF D/M. It makes the dexron III/mercon route look more like the economically justifiable and best maintenance route to follow. Simple matter to drain 4+ quarts once a year at $10 cost and replace so the average age of all the fluid is consistently at 3 years.

To their credit, however, Mobil has publicly stated that their Mobil 5000 lubricating oils are actually their best offering for the money and having seen that drain oil after 5000 miles, I'd have to agree it is a very good product.

So its Nissan Matic D or dexronIII/mercon or Mobil Synthetic ATF.

Does anyone that used Mobil ATF D/M have anything pro or con to contribute? It appears that dexronIII/mercon from other producers has had a positive following.

Last edited by FloydMax; 11-15-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Currently, I'm using Penzoil's Dextron III/Mercon ATF, plus Lucas Transmission Fix, since I have the typical cold weather soft/flare 2-3 shift until the transmission fully warms up. The Lucas additive definitely seems to help in that regard.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 PM

I used ford motorcraft mercon atf (it was free, and that's okay with me) for about 20,000 miles with no real issues (other than the 2-3 flare scottwax referred to). I recently just drained and filled with some Cam2 ATF (I'll have to check exactly what it was). After that, it felt like the transmission shifted a little firmer and less sloppy, but that might just be in my head - who knows. Not sure if that really helps anyone though
Old 11-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was under the impression that Dexron VI was compatable to DexronIII. Although I've read that VI is synthetic and III is not.