5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Maxima 6-spd Times

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 01:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Maxima 6-spd Times

Originally posted by Paul D.

Bought it at Walkley, dynoed it at Tapp Automotive on Cleopatra last Friday and am going back tomorrow morning to see what impact Stillen exhaust and intake systems have. If you wanna talk e-mail me and I'll give you my phone numbers.
Paul, please post the numbers!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 03:03 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

For those that really want to understand drag racing....DYNO your car! Go to this website: http://www.boostaholic.com/maxima/dyno/shiftpoints.html and learn how to calculate your shift points from your gear ratios and torque output. This is the right way you do it fellas. I don't know how many times I've gotten into debates with 4th gen guys who swear up and down that holding on till redline in every gear makes them quicker. If they would dyno their car and learn how to calculate their shift points, they'd see that they are "over shooting" some of their gears. You want to ride as much of the troque curve as you can in each gear. If you over shoot the gear, you've got less power to ride and accelerate with. The 2k-2k1 Maxima continues to make power (ie continues to climb) straight to 6500. I've only seen one 2k2 Max dyno (auto done in the wrong gear) and the hp curve hangs after 5800rpms. It hardly falls off, but it doesn't climb. You've got to ride the "climb". I hope you guys take time to read over this site. Hopefully many will realize that just because the engine revs out to 6550rpms doesn't mean that's where all the power is at. It is important NOT to confuse the power curves of the 2k-2k1 Max with the power curves of the 2k2 Max. They are completely different.

Dave
Old 12-05-2001, 03:06 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Driven EF9

It's actually closer to 98%

Wow... TL-S/CL-S excuse. Who can afford what? what next? You're gonna start bragging that you have a secret armrest compartment that I don't have?

I'm done replying to you. Your chose of a nickname/handle, your behavior, your retorts, all show a little boy hiding behind a computer. Your posts are (here comes a completely made up statistic) 90% negative and rarely offer any valuable piece of information.

Of a positive note:
JD Powers did a survey on most dependable cars... the Maxima was rated as the most dependable Premium Sedan...
the Supra was rated as the most dependable sports car.

I'll post a link when i locate it.
Blah blah blah

Anyways I have met close to 30 org members in real life so no "hiding behind a computer" for me. You got a problem with my handle on the .org? Too bad! Your right and wrong about one thing. All my posts towards you either to contradict some of your lousy posts or cut down that awesome Honda you drive. 99% of my other posts are Maxima related and either asking a question or giving feedback. Sorry you could not afford your Maxima anymore! As for your petition please sign up for it here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=82763

If you have anything else to say to me feel free to use the PM feature and I will do the same except for cutting down your Honda and your posts about how you beat Maxima's on the highway!

Old 12-05-2001, 03:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Maxima 6-spd Times

Bought it at Walkley, dynoed it at Tapp Automotive on Cleopatra last Friday and am going back tomorrow morning to see what impact Stillen exhaust and intake systems have. If you wanna talk e-mail me and I'll give you my phone numbers.
stillen has an intake for the 2k2?
Old 12-05-2001, 03:20 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Maxima 6-spd Times

Originally posted by Amazing2

Paul, please post the numbers!!!
I know the numbers! The torque number is awesome! The HP number seems off?? I will let Paul post up if he wants. To confirm what gear should a 2k1 5spd and 2k2 6spd be dynoed at? 4th gear?

Old 12-05-2001, 05:45 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

4th gear for 5/6spd's

3rd gear for automagics.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Maxima 6-spd Times

Originally posted by Newman96SE

stillen has an intake for the 2k2?

Yep.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:49 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Track Temperatures and Conditions?

Does anyone know what the track temperature / humidity was when dmbmaxima88 ran?
Old 12-06-2001, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Re: Track Temperatures and Conditions?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Does anyone know what the track temperature / humidity was when dmbmaxima88 ran?
the conditions were awesome
Old 12-06-2001, 02:49 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Track Temperatures and Conditions?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
i think it was around 45-50 and humidity was less then 50%.
Old 12-06-2001, 02:52 PM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Maxima 6-spd Times

Yep.
And made a significant difference! 2K2 6spd owners should get one or a CAI! I drove a 6spd today with stillen intake/muffler (thanks Rick) and it flies! 2nd-3rd gear shifts didn't just chirp the wheels they lit up big time! The torque is awesome!!! Dyno showed 227ft/lbs at 3250 vs 219 (stock).

Old 12-10-2001, 07:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
For those that really want to understand drag racing....DYNO your car! Go to this website: http://www.boostaholic.com/maxima/dyno/shiftpoints.html and learn how to calculate your shift points from your gear ratios and torque output. This is the right way you do it fellas.

Dave
Dave,

FYI.. While the method I used in /maxima/dyno/shiftpoints.html on my website is correct... I found out about a year ago it's a relatively convaluted approach. Why?

HP = tq * rpm. Not counting drivetrain losses, it passes through the drivetrain unchanged. All the gearbox does is change the distribution of torque and rotational speed that together make up the HP. What does this mean?

At any given speed, to get the most torque at the wheels (the most accelerative force), since hp is directly proportional to torque, that means we must be in the gear that has the most HP at the wheels. Luckily HP goes through the gearbox without being multiplied/etc, so you can simply skip all the torque output calculations/etc from my shift points findings, and just look to be in the gear that has the most HP.

I've followed this better methodology on this page for example:
http://www.boostaholic.com/supra/shiftpoints.html

BTW both of these methods come up with the exact same results, as mathematically they are the same thing. The new method just let's the dyno machine do most of the math for you (since it already gave you the HP) rather than re-calculating it yourself.

Regards,
Andi