5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Doors, Help ! WHAT THE HELL

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:30 AM

Doors, Help ! WHAT THE HELL

So last year my rear door decided it did not want to work anymore, it was in the winter ofcourse, it would not close and stay closed, after a few tries it stayed close and not it wont open and the lock feels jammed up, So today, 19F outside, i get in, the drivers door does the same thing, 3 times and it closes, i go to get out and wtf it wont open and the lock feels all jammed up, this is on the drivers side, so now i have 2 jammed doors , i dont know what to do, i had the cover off in the back and i cant get it open, now i have no way of getting the cover off the front to even attempt to work on it.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Try giving all the door locks a bit of WD-40 to loosen the locking mechanism up
Old 12-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try to lock/umlock with the key, when you get it open, take off the panel right away and take a look at the locking mechanism, might need to be lubricated.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
try to lock/umlock with the key, when you get it open, take off the panel right away and take a look at the locking mechanism, might need to be lubricated.
i can 2nd this and what ghost said my friends max did this last year and it was the problem for him
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 AM

Just get A lambo kit for your doors and you can ride with the doors open when its cold and not have to worry.......> jk WD40 those suckas
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

back door stays 'locked'

My Max has same problem, except it happened this summer. you can open with key for drivers/front door, but in my case its one of the rear doors. How can you get the door opened or the panel off while its closed?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by josealopez
My Max has same problem, except it happened this summer. you can open with key for drivers/front door, but in my case its one of the rear doors. How can you get the door opened or the panel off while its closed?
Can you open it manualy from inside the car?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
Can you open it manualy from inside the car?
Nope....tried manually unlocking/opening the door from the inside but no luck there. When i hit the unlock button the lock solenoid in the door makes a funny sound.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Nope....tried manually unlocking/opening the door from the inside but no luck there. When i hit the unlock button the lock solenoid in the door makes a funny sound.
I have GLE model and it comes with small levers just above door handles inside the car; by 'manually' I meant to unlock the door using those and not the power door switches. Not sure if yours has them as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have GLE model and it comes with small levers just above door handles inside the car; by 'manually' I meant to unlock the door using those and not the power door switches. Not sure if yours has them as well.
yea...sorry for confusion...i tried unlocking manually like you just described. the manual lever moves, but doesn't go all the way to the unlocked position.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM

yea...sorry for confusion...i tried unlocking manually like you just described. the manual lever moves, but doesn't go all the way to the unlocked position.
If the weather is crazy freezing like here then it might be just frozen water and it will start working when it warms up or slowly evaporates. If it was like this even in summer then you might try your luck by removing trim around handle and switch panel to gain some access to the internals of the door. The door plastic has screws only on top and all of them can be removed with door closed. The sides/bottom are held in place with bunch of plastic clips. If you remove all the screws and the top of the plastic it might give you more room to access the door internals.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM

To remove the door panels you need to remove the rear bench seat if since the door will not open up. There should be one or two black strap hooks sticking out under the seat. You want to pull on them. This will give you access to the door panels. You probably need to grease up some of the parts inside. gl
Old 01-03-2010, 04:59 PM

If the weather is crazy freezing like here then it might be just frozen water and it will start working when it warms up or slowly evaporates. If it was like this even in summer then you might try your luck by removing trim around handle and switch panel to gain some access to the internals of the door. The door plastic has screws only on top and all of them can be removed with door closed. The sides/bottom are held in place with bunch of plastic clips. If you remove all the screws and the top of the plastic it might give you more room to access the door internals.
Pull the lever and while its pulled try opening the door or messing around like that, My front door was goofy and stuck but after trying that method its working again.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Professor
So last year my rear door decided it did not want to work anymore, it was in the winter ofcourse, it would not close and stay closed, after a few tries it stayed close and not it wont open and the lock feels jammed up, So today, 19F outside, i get in, the drivers door does the same thing, 3 times and it closes, i go to get out and wtf it wont open and the lock feels all jammed up, this is on the drivers side, so now i have 2 jammed doors , i dont know what to do, i had the cover off in the back and i cant get it open, now i have no way of getting the cover off the front to even attempt to work on it.
If you look called a nissan dealership they will tell you that the doors have recalls on them my door had the same problem and i got that fix plus some struts that were on the recall list and my od. and of course recalls are free to get fix . hope it helps
Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 AM

Spray cooking oil on rubber seals and wipe with paper towels. This will prevent melted snow and water from freezing in and around the seals thus creating difficulty with doors during harsh winter days/nights.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 AM

my rear driver door opens to a point and then stops. im gonna try wd-40 today. only happens in cold weather. also i washed my car after the snow and froze myself out of my car! hahaha careful. I am going to call up the stealership and check out if my model had any recalls, cross my fingers
Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm THAt is the national recall list from the governemnt so u can look at that site to see cause for some reason some dealership be like oh nah u don't have any recalls and I'm like *** hole I have recall number and then all of a sudden their computer comes on and say oh wait u do have recalls lol good luck hopefully they don't play no games with u

Originally Posted by arcueda
my rear driver door opens to a point and then stops. im

gonna try wd-40 today. only happens in cold weather. also i washed my car after the snow and froze myself out of my car! hahaha careful. I am going to call up the stealership and check out if my model had any recalls, cross my fingers