5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Blower motor issue..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Blower motor issue..

I searched but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Some stated that their certain speeds didn't work correctly. All mine work, however it is now just loud as crap and rattles like a ****. I noticed when I turn left though it stops and as soon as my steering is straightened out again it starts knocking away. It started light but i'm assuming it some how has gotten worse with the cold weather we're all receiving. Literally starts off sounding like it's going to just blow up. I know it's more of an annoyance but anyone come up with any tricks yet to quiet it down or is it just a matter of replacing it? thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM

it could be small stuff caught in the fan
Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM

It's really easy to remove. All you need is a philips head screwdriver.

1) remove glovebox- The whole panel comes off with a few screws.
2)With the glovebox removed the van and motor will come out of the housing by removing a few screws. It's not even hard to reach.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
I searched but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Some stated that their certain speeds didn't work correctly. All mine work, however it is now just loud as crap and rattles like a ****. I noticed when I turn left though it stops and as soon as my steering is straightened out again it starts knocking away. It started light but i'm assuming it some how has gotten worse with the cold weather we're all receiving. Literally starts off sounding like it's going to just blow up. I know it's more of an annoyance but anyone come up with any tricks yet to quiet it down or is it just a matter of replacing it? thanks.
I pulled mine out last weekend as the high pitch squeal when it's on 3 is starting to get annoying. Anyway someone in another thread said to check for leaves in the blower. There were two very small leaves but I knew they weren't causing the noise. I also blew out the motor housing itself as it was full of a bunch of black stuff. Made a lot of dust in the garage.

Anyway today as soon as the temps went below 20F the squealing on 3 started up again. I don't know if I should bother to replace it for that or not though. Since it happens so rarely it's not worth it to me, but I worry about the fan just dying one day at the worst time, say a road trip at night in the middle of winter.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by kbohip
I pulled mine out last weekend as the high pitch squeal when it's on 3 is starting to get annoying. Anyway someone in another thread said to check for leaves in the blower. There were two very small leaves but I knew they weren't causing the noise. I also blew out the motor housing itself as it was full of a bunch of black stuff. Made a lot of dust in the garage.

Anyway today as soon as the temps went below 20F the squealing on 3 started up again. I don't know if I should bother to replace it for that or not though. Since it happens so rarely it's not worth it to me, but I worry about the fan just dying one day at the worst time, say a road trip at night in the middle of winter.
replace it if youre worried.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 AM

Well, everyone keeps saying it squeeks/squeels... Mine is far from that it's more of a knocking pinging louder than anything I can hear in my interior knock. Like a rocks in there just bouncing around. This wat you all mean?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:54 AM

Well, everyone keeps saying it squeeks/squeels... Mine is far from that it's more of a knocking pinging louder than anything I can hear in my interior knock. Like a rocks in there just bouncing around. This wat you all mean?
Just replace it before it gets like mine. When I first got my Max, the fan would only rattle a little on speed one, so I thought, "No big deal, I'll just run it on higher speeds."

Wrong.

After a year and a half of owning my Max, the resistor burnt out, so I had to run it on four at any time that I had my heat/AC on. Eventually that little speed one rattle turned into a speed four rattle. And then into a speed four oncoming train.

When I pulled my fan apart, there was a bunch of dirt and leaves trapped around the filter which, I'm guessing, is part of what lead to the fan's ultimate demise.

I'd say replace + yearly cleaning to avoid another rattling fan would be the best bet...

And I still have yet to replace that resistor. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Nissan $50 for it.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 AM

So pull it out and see what's in there.

The squealing noise is different. It's a high pitch very even sounding squeal which happens as the fan motor starts to wear out. For anyone with that sound, it will eventually fail without any other warning. That noise is the warning.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 AM

There is either debris in the fan, a failing motor/motor bearings or both. Remove the assembly and inspect for debris. If debris is found, clean it out, reinstall and test. If no debris is found replace the motor.

On a side note, I replaced the OE motor with a Siemans equivalent (metal housing) and it is loud even at low speeds; motor noise. I would recommend something other than this model.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Will do today, in freezing 17* wether....fml.
haha
thnx
Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Man, my 2002 started doing the same thing today (15 degrees here). It's a loud rattling almost like the blower is hitting the case, intermittent though and sometimes changing fan speeds makes it go away for awhile. Just pulled the glove box and blower but found no debris, a very dirty cabin filter though. Put it back together, still intermittent.

I made the mistake of disconnecting the yellow connector on top of the glove box, what I now know is air bag power, and am now printing all the air bag reset instructions from the org as I have the flashing air bag lite.

So, don't disconnect the yellow connectors.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM

The ^^^^^ problem could be the motor's bearings are worn out allowing shaft/fan to rattle.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by blueridge
Man, my 2002 started doing the same thing today (15 degrees here). It's a loud rattling almost like the blower is hitting the case, intermittent though and sometimes changing fan speeds makes it go away for awhile. Just pulled the glove box and blower but found no debris, a very dirty cabin filter though. Put it back together, still intermittent.

I made the mistake of disconnecting the yellow connector on top of the glove box, what I now know is air bag power, and am now printing all the air bag reset instructions from the org as I have the flashing air bag lite.

So, don't disconnect the yellow connectors.
That yellow plug makes me nervous. I'm always afraid if I even look at it the wrong way it'll send the air bag off.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 AM

The ^^^^^ problem could be the motor's bearings are worn out allowing shaft/fan to rattle.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's something terminal like that, I pulled over and checked it out at one point when it was at it's worst to see if maybe it was loose mounting or cover screw or something along those lines but didn't feel anything.

Any suggestions as best source for a replacement blower/fan assembly? I plan on keeping the car for some time so I just as soon go new and be done with it for while.

Regarding airbag reset:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...need-help.html

Rydicule's post #13 seemed to work perfect, so thanks org.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Any suggestions as best source for a replacement blower/fan assembly? I plan on keeping the car for some time so I just as soon go new and be done with it for while.
I would stay away from the metal housing versions based upon my experience (noted above). Perhaps OE is the best replacement? The OE part comes as an assembly with a new fan, whereas the aftermarket replacements are just motors.

Will do today, in freezing 17* wether....fml.
haha
thnx
Mine failed last February, so I can feel your pain. Luckily the replacement should only take ~30 minutes.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 AM

Yeah, I'm guessing it's something terminal like that, I pulled over and checked it out at one point when it was at it's worst to see if maybe it was loose mounting or cover screw or something along those lines but didn't feel anything.

I know you don't want a used one but you can get a low mile used one from http://car-part.com/ for 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a new one. Even if it only lasts 2 or 3 years it's a good deal because the install is so easy and they give a good warning before going out.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 AM

Just goto roackauto.com they have the motor unit for like 40 bucks! I've had their replacement for about a yr and hlaf now.. no issues.

TYC GENERA Part # 700050 {#272202Y910}
27220-2Y910; Assembly
Assembly; 27220-2Y910

$38.79
Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Here's the weird thing, anytime I turn ONLY left it stops...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 AM

Just goto roackauto.com they have the motor unit for like 40 bucks! I've had their replacement for about a yr and hlaf now.. no issues.

TYC GENERA Part # 700050 {#272202Y910}
27220-2Y910; Assembly
Assembly; 27220-2Y910

$38.79
Awesome, still is this price plus about $10 for shipping, it is complete motor and fan assembly, just ordered it. Thanks,
NAPA was around $109, OEM was lot more than that. Was going to get the cabin filter as well but extra freight cost made it more than local source.

Yeah it's weird, for me turning right seems to trigger the rattling.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 PM

I literally just replaced my blower motor cuz it was doing the locomotive rattling noise on all settings and my wife was embarassed to ride with me anywhere so I finally got it done. And now it works perfectly. Now I think Im gonna go and sit in my car for an hour and clean the inside and thaw out the floor now that the fan works without sounding like a train.

BTW: My airbag light was blinking and I fixed it using the link posted above. Im new to this site but man o man that was a relief to fix that part so easily. Thanks maxima.org!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
So pull it out and see what's in there.

The squealing noise is different. It's a high pitch very even sounding squeal which happens as the fan motor starts to wear out. For anyone with that sound, it will eventually fail without any other warning. That noise is the warning.
After reading this post I decided to just go ahead and replace the motor. I wasn't as worried as it only squeals in very cold weather (below 20F) but tonight on the way home in warmer weather (32...a freakin' heat wave!) it was squealing like crazy. Glad I ordered the new part last night.

Edit: I got my replacement fan and blower cage off Ebay. $46.95 delivered so we'll see how long this one lasts. Courtesy wanted $173.00 plus shipping so it was an easy choice. Even if this thing dies in a few years it's worth the money savings.

Last edited by kbohip; 01-08-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM

mine does the same thing, maybe i should check for debris soon....hmmmm tryin to put it off til spring when its warmer but dont want the resistor to burn out!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Careful about debris in the fan. I actually had a rodent (chipmunk maybe) build a nest in the fan box in a matter of a week while the family was on vacation. I was able to easily remove the fan and clean it out.....enough stuffing to fill a shoe box. Vac'd out the ductwork as well.....tons of shell particles. 4-5 screws for the glove box and 3-4 for the fan/motor unit. Was done in <30 minutes. Cost for new replacement is outrageous based on dealer quotation for motor and control module.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Works fine now, ran it on 4 for 10 minutes and now it seems to work fine.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 AM

LOL same thing happens to mine too! Thought I had some kinda special powers that made it stop when I turned left.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by kbohip
That yellow plug makes me nervous. I'm always afraid if I even look at it the wrong way it'll send the air bag off.
I'm looking at climbing-in and replacing either the resistor or the blower motor, too. I've never removed the glove box and this talk about yellow airbag connectors has me a bit concerned (because I'm the guy who would probably set-off the airbag, if possible)

What're the proper steps to removing the glovebox? How does one deal with the airbag connector? Is it connected to the glovebox itself?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad
I'm looking at climbing-in and replacing either the resistor or the blower motor, too. I've never removed the glove box and this talk about yellow airbag connectors has me a bit concerned (because I'm the guy who would probably set-off the airbag, if possible)

What're the proper steps to removing the glovebox? How does one deal with the airbag connector? Is it connected to the glovebox itself?
Don't worry too much. The yellow connectors are obvious and it (the connectors) can be removed from glove box (or whatever other part must be reomved; at least according to my memory.

Overall this is a 30 minute (or fewer) job.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 AM

Much thanks, 2slow!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 AM

Okay,
Got the glovebox out of the way.

So, what all has to be moved/disconnected to get the blower out? I see three obvious silver screws holding it on. Is that it?

Last edited by Thorzdad; 02-25-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 AM

Okay,
Back to that airbag connector question....
Is is safe to disconnect the connector from the harness? I'm not seeing an easy way to detatch the whole harness itself from the glovebox. It looks like the whole harness connector should just slide off the little tab it's on, but I can't get it to budge.

Should I disconnect the battery first, before I mess with this? I forget...positive or negative wire?
Look behind it. I got at the back of the clips holding it in with a needle nose pliers. Just squeeze the back of the clip together and they should pop right out.

And yes, if you're concerned, you can disconnect the battery. Negative cable. Although, FWIW, I never did, since I never unplugged anything other than the blower motor.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 02-25-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM

Heh. Sorry about re-editing my question. Right after I posted, I saw the clips and gave them a try. Thanks, though.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 AM

Heh. Sorry about re-editing my question. Right after I posted, I saw the clips and gave them a try. Thanks, though.
It's okay.

If memory serves, there should be a cover with two removable clips. Removable as in when you hit them with a screw driver, they'll fall right off. Take those off and remove the cover. Pull out your filter and check that out.

And yeah, as far as I remember, there are the three silver screws plus the electric plug holding the fan in place. Oh, make sure you unhook the hose running into it, too.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:23 AM

Cool. Thanks!
Got it out and tested it using the "one wire to positive and one wire to ground" method. The blower spins, so it must be the very grungy-looking resistor. Odd that it failed all at once, and not gradually.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM

My blower makes a noise like its rubbing in 3rd and 4th speed. I guess I am going to go out and see what I can do to fix it. Thanks for the instrutions on how to get to it. Muchly appreciated
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by efanatic
My blower makes a noise like its rubbing in 3rd and 4th speed. I guess I am going to go out and see what I can do to fix it. Thanks for the instrutions on how to get to it. Muchly appreciated
You're just going to need to straight up replace it. Mine did the same thing, and then eventually started making noises at all speeds.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
You're just going to need to straight up replace it. Mine did the same thing, and then eventually started making noises at all speeds.
Dang. It did start with just 4th about a week ago and now its doing it in 3rd too. Never fails.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Well, the new resistor didn't do the trick. Re-tested the blower and it doesn't spin. Guess, I'm replacing the blower now. Anyone have any parts sales going on?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Sorry to hear about the blower. If you find a good spot to get one. Let us know.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM

Well, everyone is about 2-4 dollars within each other, so it's really a tossup who you go to for the part. Some have the part for less but their shipping is higher, others have lower shipping, so it all balances out. So, I guess it doesn't really matter who you order from on a part like this one.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Look in the classifieds here on the org. There are three or four guys who have parts cars listed for sale. See if they have a blower motor they'll sell you.

Quick Reply: Blower motor issue..