5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:58 PM

Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

I'm sure that i'm just as frustrated as you are in your mind right now as you are reading this. Nissan has a paint probelm, and they are ignoring it and us. Well, not anymore. Here is what I am doing and I want everyone who has a problem with Nissan and thier paint to join in. I've okayed it with Kev to turn this thread into a sticky so everyone can see it.

If you have a problem with your paint on your 5th gen (only), Write a letter (as professional as possable) to Nissan explaining your problem in explicit detail. Don't leave anything to question. Include your driving style and/or history. How many miles you have on your car. What your mileage was when the problem started. What you have done about it as far as contacting Nissan (include incident number that you got from Nissan if you have it) and/or going to the dealership(s) with a complaint about the paint and what was said/done. Include information about how you wash your car and with what product line(s) and how often. Do you have a bra, carflector or mudguards? Include anything you feel is pertinant to your situation. Pretend you are pleaing your case to a judge that Nissan is at fault here, not you; that you take care of your car better than most people you will meet in your lifetime. Also, include photos of your car. I'd enclose more than one so they can't say it's something on the lens or in the camera. Also be sure to wash your car or at least the area the problem occurs in so that they can't say it's just dirt or debris.

Give Nissan some background information too. Let them know how long you've been a customer, even let them know you're a member of the ORG. Tell them what a fan you are of thier cars and upcoming products, but also let them know how dissappointed you are in the quality aspect of your car and how you feel that Nissan should fix the problem to make you a satisfied customer. I would stay away from threatening them, just explain your situation and what you want done.

Im setting up a PO box either later today or tomorrow for you to mail in your letters. Ill keep the address open for at least a month or as long as the letters keep coming.

Now as for what I will do; I have secured an audience with the rep of the Northeast operations. He will see me once I have all your letters and photos and we will go from there.

Will all of us in this together, Nissan can't ignore us anymore.

I will post the address here within 48 hours, so check back. If you have any questions or comments, PM me or post them here.

-Maxima-Ness
Old 12-12-2001, 10:40 PM

**UPDATE**

Sorry guys, I havent been able to get out and set up the box, ive been really busy with school and *trying to shop for the holidays. I am off today so I will go to the post office to set up the account today, I promise

Anybody got thier letters ready?
Old 12-17-2001, 12:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ive' got one.......****in 2002 maxima se sterling mist..got 3000 miles and ive' got about 9-10 paint chips..each over 1mm wide/tall.....so i figure..in about 10 years...i'll have about 300 paint chips?..hmm i'll run out of paint

Larry
Bay aera, cali
Old 12-19-2001, 02:04 PM

When are you meeting with the Nissan rep ?
Old 12-19-2001, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: **UPDATE**

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
Sorry guys, I havent been able to get out and set up the box, ive been really busy with school and *trying to shop for the holidays. I am off today so I will go to the post office to set up the account today, I promise

Anybody got thier letters ready?
I wouldn't sweat it, It's the busiest mail week of the year anyway.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

I'm sure that i'm just as frustrated as you are in your mind right now as you are reading this. Nissan has a paint probelm, and they are ignoring it and us. Well, not anymore. Here is what I am doing and I want everyone who has a problem with Nissan and thier paint to join in. I've okayed it with Kev to turn this thread into a sticky so everyone can see it.

If you have a problem with your paint on your 5th gen (only), Write a letter (as professional as possable) to Nissan explaining your problem in explicit detail. Don't leave anything to question. Include your driving style and/or history. How many miles you have on your car. What your mileage was when the problem started. What you have done about it as far as contacting Nissan (include incident number that you got from Nissan if you have it) and/or going to the dealership(s) with a complaint about the paint and what was said/done. Include information about how you wash your car and with what product line(s) and how often. Do you have a bra, carflector or mudguards? Include anything you feel is pertinant to your situation. Pretend you are pleaing your case to a judge that Nissan is at fault here, not you; that you take care of your car better than most people you will meet in your lifetime. Also, include photos of your car. I'd enclose more than one so they can't say it's something on the lens or in the camera. Also be sure to wash your car or at least the area the problem occurs in so that they can't say it's just dirt or debris.

Give Nissan some background information too. Let them know how long you've been a customer, even let them know you're a member of the ORG. Tell them what a fan you are of thier cars and upcoming products, but also let them know how dissappointed you are in the quality aspect of your car and how you feel that Nissan should fix the problem to make you a satisfied customer. I would stay away from threatening them, just explain your situation and what you want done.

Im setting up a PO box either later today or tomorrow for you to mail in your letters. Ill keep the address open for at least a month or as long as the letters keep coming.

Now as for what I will do; I have secured an audience with the rep of the Northeast operations. He will see me once I have all your letters and photos and we will go from there.

I will post the address here within 48 hours, so check back. If you have any questions or comments, PM me or post them here.

-Maxima-Ness
I think I'm actually going to put a flyer together to give to people as I see them on the street, with the pertinant info... PO Box, copy of some of this thread, etc. Is that ok? I'll run it by ya first.

FYI: I have one small chip so far, but my biggest problem is black trunk run off on each side of the rear bumper that won't come clean (rubber?)

Thanx for your help.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:55 AM

Re: Re: Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

As soon as I get the letters ill meet the rep.

Originally posted by cargasm

I think I'm actually going to put a flyer together to give to people as I see them on the street, with the pertinant info... PO Box, copy of some of this thread, etc. Is that ok? I'll run it by ya first.

FYI: I have one small chip so far, but my biggest problem is black trunk run off on each side of the rear bumper that won't come clean (rubber?)

Thanx for your help.
I dont mind if you hand out fliers, at least we will get a response. Im hoping that the ORG sends in thier letters and I get the desired amount that the rep is asking for so he wont laugh. Look for an update this afternoon...
Old 12-26-2001, 05:29 PM

hey ness is the P.O. box set up yet? My letter has been completed along with the pictures and is ready to go!
Old 12-27-2001, 11:10 AM

Re: Re: Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

HEY CARGASM DO YOU HAVE A PO BOX SET UP SO ICAN SEND YOU THE LETTER ALONG W/PICS?
Old 01-01-2002, 03:15 PM

Just to let all you guys know I've had chip promblems on my '01 Max SE.......I found this site http://www.nissanpaint.com/ & filled out the complaint form about the paint......
Old 01-02-2002, 07:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

Originally posted by pcante1
HEY CARGASM DO YOU HAVE A PO BOX SET UP SO ICAN SEND YOU THE LETTER ALONG W/PICS?
I was waiting for maxima-ness to set one up.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

ok then we'll have to wait then. thanks
Old 01-02-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
Just to let all you guys know I've had chip promblems on my '01 Max SE.......I found this site http://www.nissanpaint.com/ & filled out the complaint form about the paint......
Thanks, I submitted my complaint!
Old 01-04-2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Ollie
Thanks, I submitted my complaint!
Thanks guys...we're at 75 complaints on that site now. Honestly, that's still not enough to convince Nissan of a major paint problem with a vehicle that has sold over 100,000 copies of the 5th gen, but it looks like 100 is a good target for us.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:06 PM

Whatever happened to Ness ?

Old 01-06-2002, 05:20 PM

for real! what happened to ness?
Old 01-06-2002, 06:00 PM

for real! what happened to ness?
Care to expand on your question?
Old 01-06-2002, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Care to expand on your question?
What happened to Maxima-ness? He was supposed to get back to us with a p.o. box address.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:59 PM

What happened to Maxima-ness? He was supposed to get back to us with a p.o. box address.
Probably not the smartest thing, but the closet im gonna come....

MAIL ALL YOUR LETTERS TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS....

Matt Fravert
2816 Sheila Dr.
Louisville, KY 40220

Couldnt find a POBox for under 60 bucks. Not worht the trouble. Just send them my way and we'll cut out the middle man.

Thanx, and sorry for the delay.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:30 PM

**UPDATE**

Please post here letting me know that you have sent the letter. Just a simple "Sent" will work..

Thanx
Old 01-13-2002, 08:06 PM

Please post here letting me know that you have sent the letter. Just a simple "Sent" will work..

Thanx
sent a week ago!thanks
Old 01-16-2002, 12:23 PM

my car has tons of chips on it too...
Old 01-16-2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by mclee45
my car has tons of chips on it too...
goto www.nissanpaint.com
Old 01-16-2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Ollie

goto www.nissanpaint.com
we've tried that, hello?

Now I have a physical audience, thats the whole difference here. keep sending the letters; ill meet with him as son as ive gotten the last one.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:58 AM

Specific Paint Problems

Can anyone be specific about the paint problems??? What else is there besides chips, I just bought a 2002 Maxima SE and I wanna look for paint problems in the future
Old 01-21-2002, 10:06 PM

PAINT

yeah i have been having paint problems since about 3000-4000 miles after i got the car...any updates on what is being done??? paint chips are severe and im at 25000 miles now...at the rate they are going i wont have any paint left in a couple years. UPDATES????
Old 01-22-2002, 12:17 AM
SkyTerri

Re: Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...

-Maxima-Ness

Old 01-22-2002, 12:31 AM

we've tried that, hello?

Now I have a physical audience, thats the whole difference here. keep sending the letters; ill meet with him as son as ive gotten the last one.
You do realize that nissanpaint.com is a site setup by me to gather enough data to report to Nissan on a real paint problem, right? Its not a Nissan site or anything along those lines. It might have turned into something if even 100 of the thousands of people who have viewed this thread would actually register there. However, I continue to emphasize that 75 or so people with paint chips is in no way an adequate sampling to suggest a real paint problem beyond anything we can all read about on other car enthusiast sites.

In addition...I surmise that if you present these letters you are getting from people to somebody from Nissan, the likely result will be that you get your car repainted but the rest of the people participating in your effort never even get a letter of apology or any reparation. This is not intended to be a dig on you, its just that Nissan sells 10's of thousands of Nissans and we have a sampling of around 100 of them driven, primarily, by young men who heavily modify and street or track race their car. Members of this site are just not a very convincing story as a demographic.

I will continue to keep the nissanpaint.com site up and hope that we soon receive an adequate sampling (minimum of 100 registrants) and will follow-through with my promise to send the letter written by Scott along with the data.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Wat

5th gen paint

The paint on the 5th gen is flat out horrible. i have had the car for 5 months and the paint is very scratched and chipped. I wash the car weekly. I use nothing but a wool wash mitt and a chamois. When the car was delivered to me, the paint had teflon wax on it, it hides all scratches and imperfections. when it comes off, they appear quite noticably. I want to rectify this problem ASAP. Gimme the address for ur PO box, and i will send a letter. Thanx
Old 01-22-2002, 11:22 PM

Re: 5th gen paint

Originally posted by E55AMG2
The paint on the 5th gen is flat out horrible. i have had the car for 5 months and the paint is very scratched and chipped. I wash the car weekly. I use nothing but a wool wash mitt and a chamois. When the car was delivered to me, the paint had teflon wax on it, it hides all scratches and imperfections. when it comes off, they appear quite noticably. I want to rectify this problem ASAP. Gimme the address for ur PO box, and i will send a letter. Thanx

What color is your car? Mine is grey lustre. mine gets chips and scratches very easily also.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:17 AM

Gimme the address for ur PO box, and i will send a letter. Thanx
The address you need to send the letters to is in this thread.

As far as what Michael said, I intend to get everyones problem fixed. I do realize that nissanpaint.com is not a Nissan site, but how long has it been up now? I am at least attempting to do something right now that is a different approach so give me some credit here. Im not ******* your efforts so dont dog mine. I am one of those people who filled out the form on your site, and yes it is easier to fill out the form than to write a letter but i have a litte more faith in the guys on here to send something a little more personal to get some attention.

With each day that brings a new letter, I inform the Nissan rep and when he deems the number worthy (he originally said 50) he will sit down with me. At least its something, so at least lets try!

Ive got someone, a person, a physical being ready and willing to talk to me about this and im not going to let someone talk me out of doing it. Im going to get my car fixed. You can all decide if you want to join me. Send the letters, ill do my part if you do yours.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:18 AM

Re: Re: 5th gen paint

The address you need to send the letters to is in this thread.

As far as what Michael said, I intend to get everyones problem fixed. I do realize that nissanpaint.com is not a Nissan site, but how long has it been up now? I am at least attempting to do something right now that is a different approach so give me some credit here. Im not ******* your efforts so dont dog mine. I am one of those people who filled out the form on your site, and yes it is easier to fill out the form than to write a letter but i have a litte more faith in the guys on here to send something a little more personal to get some attention.

With each day that brings a new letter, I inform the Nissan rep and when he deems the number worthy (he originally said 50) he will sit down with me. At least its something, so at least lets try!

Ive got someone, a person, a physical being ready and willing to talk to me about this and im not going to let someone talk me out of doing it. Im going to get my car fixed. You can all decide if you want to join me. Send the letters, ill do my part if you do yours.
Whoever is ******* you should apologize. You are doing more than you have to! you could just get your car fixed,and say screw the rest of the people they are on their own! I appreciate what you are doing for ALL of us, and send you a THANK YOU a million times over!!!!!
Old 01-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Wat

What color is your car? Mine is grey lustre. mine gets chips and scratches very easily also.
Super Black
Old 01-23-2002, 05:17 PM
01MAXAE

Paint Complaint Web Site

Michael has opened a site where you can fill out a form regarding your paint chips and degradation. www.nissanpaint.com We have a 01 Merlot AE and the front end after only 20K miles looks 10 times worse than our 96 did with 125K miles. The color is awesome, the car is awesome,but the front end looks terrible. Thanks so much to Michael for his efforts. Is there an address to send a hard copy to also?

Old 01-25-2002, 01:09 AM

As far as what Michael said, I intend to get everyones problem fixed. I do realize that nissanpaint.com is not a Nissan site, but how long has it been up now? I am at least attempting to do something right now that is a different approach so give me some credit here.
I am not ******* your work...just a reality check. I think that you have a really good chance of getting your Maxima repainted as a result of your efforts and I wish you luck in getting that as it will have been deserved.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:59 PM

Re: Paint Complaint Web Site

Originally posted by 01MAXAE
Michael has opened a site where you can fill out a form regarding your paint chips and degradation. www.nissanpaint.com We have a 01 Merlot AE and the front end after only 20K miles looks 10 times worse than our 96 did with 125K miles. The color is awesome, the car is awesome,but the front end looks terrible. Thanks so much to Michael for his efforts. Is there an address to send a hard copy to also?
Old 01-30-2002, 06:15 PM

Bastards! I think they used the same wax on my super black SE before I bought it. After it washed away it looked like crap. Where do you buy teflon wax at ?
Old 01-31-2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

I submitted my complaint hope it helps
Old 02-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

For those checking this thread, for what it is worth, I was at a dealer getting my 95 SE serviced. For something to do, I visited the back lot where the serviced cars are parked. There were two used 02's sitting there. Looked closely at the front ends and saw chips on both. Since both owners could not have had the car more than 90 days, I would say that this looks like a legitmate complaint.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:21 PM

Guys, what should I do: my car is 1/5 yrs old and 23K mi on it. My first signs of bad paint came on before 1st oil change. I came to the dealership, and they told me it is "reg. wear and tear". I have no pics, no other documentation, except the multiple touchup spots on my front end. Will the letter alone do?

I partially stopped the chipping by using a full front-end cover, but there's a visible line appeared on the hood. I took the hood piece off for a few weeks to let it "breathe", and now f*** I have few more chips.

Quick Reply: Paint Quality Issues with your 5th gen?!? PLEASE READ...