5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Guys I really need your help on this one!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Guys I really need your help on this one!!

hey guys, a few weeks ago my starter went. About a week ago i got the starter in the mail, and installed it myself the same day. I went to start my car, and started right away, i went to rev it, and it wouldn't rev above 2500rpms. Did a quick search on the org, and found out i needed a maf. I ordered one on ebay for about $45 i just got finished installing it, but now when i slam on the gas in neutral it chokes and feels as if its going to stall. But when i rev it up slowly and steadily it will make to about 5000rpms then choke. Guys i really need help on this one. I don't know if its the maf again or maybe a detached hose from installing the starter. Please help me!!!!! (2000 Maxima) btw i'm noticing a rotten egg smell from my exhaust that was not their before. thanks again!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

i think it could be 2 things. was the MAF OEM? used? bc 45 bucks seems cheap....other than that maybe a coil is going out, have you ever changed those? I had a slightly similar problem once in a while and finally it threw a code and replaced a coil hasn't happened since. that could contribute to the rotten egg smell too since fuel is not being burned in the area of the coil that is failing.

if you think its coils try this:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ow-w-pics.html

it didn't really work for me though, but when my max would choked/bogged i was going on a freeway and had to really gas it, guess that caused it to throw a code that told me exactly what coil it was. hope that helps.

Last edited by Maxima112; 02-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:47 PM

rotten egg smell is normally the catalytic converter is going bad, and needs replacing
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM

thanks guys for the reply's i checked what the seller said on the listing for the maf and it said "00 01 Maxima I30 Air Flow Meter AFM G20 Mass AFM" I'm beginning to think maybe its the maf?? He wrote g20, and isn't the g20 a 4 cylinder?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
rotten egg smell is normally the catalytic converter is going bad, and needs replacing
some times, but in reality all it means is that there is excessive sulfur being emitted from the tailpipe.......
Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Im pretty confident my cat is going (173K) and I have that smell aswell. Never had it before.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by bgawad
thanks guys for the reply's i checked what the seller said on the listing for the maf and it said "00 01 Maxima I30 Air Flow Meter AFM G20 Mass AFM" I'm beginning to think maybe its the maf?? He wrote g20, and isn't the g20 a 4 cylinder?

While yes its true the G20 is a 4 cylinder, the MAF is still the same. At least the part numbers are the same. But it could still be that it is just a bad MAF?? Good luck bro!!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:29 PM

thanks again guys, i'm really upset, Ive been dishing so much $$$ on this car. Before my starter went my car was running perfectly. Any ideas; its weird when i throw it in neutral and gun it, it stumbles. When slowly revving it, the rpms increase as they should but only to about 5000rpms then chokes. Another thing i noticed is when i slam on the gas it will choke at 3000rpms when i release the peddle the engine increases idle to 3300rpms then goes back down. Really need all the input i can get on this one.... im clueless.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 PM

thanks again guys, i'm really upset, Ive been dishing so much $$$ on this car. Before my starter went my car was running perfectly. Any ideas; its weird when i throw it in neutral and gun it, it stumbles. When slowly revving it, the rpms increase as they should but only to about 5000rpms then chokes. Another thing i noticed is when i slam on the gas it will choke at 3000rpms when i release the peddle the engine increases idle to 3300rpms then goes back down. Really need all the input i can get on this one.... im clueless.
TPS sensor? Search for symptoms of a bad TPS on google. See if anything comes up and relates to your issue. Check engine light on?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:34 PM

Alright guys, i just went outside and opened the hood while the engine was
running. I was so pist at my car so i disconnected every air hose and reattached them, to see if that would help. I held the throttle to the max.... i went back inside the car and my ces light was on. I read the code and got p0505. I think this code is wrong and my ces only went on because of me fooling around with the hoses. After searching; this code usually comes with stalling, and bad idle. My car however does not stall, it chokes but it stays on when i play with the throttle. As for the tps i'm not sure. Tps is also associated with unstabe idle and stalling. But my car seems to have a decent idle, little choking heard from the exhaust but it remains on. Ugh this problem is really stressing me out. As for now my car is bricked in the driveway.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Toolie

if the MAF you got is different from the original one you may need to hit the stealership for a reprogram. Check your old part number and compare it with the new. If they are different that could be the problem
Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm prob just going to return the maf i bought off ebay and buy one from Dave B. This problem sucks i'm throwing $$ into something im not sure about. Atleast once i get the maf from Dave B. I can move on to other things besides the maf. Guys i searched for hours and i cant find a similar problem to mine. I was thinking maybe fuel pump?? If you guys come across any threads that i missed with similar problems to mine, please let me know! Any other ideas what this might be??
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

If this issue just "suddenly" came up after installing your new starter, I would definitely go back under the car and see if something was done wrong. The car was running perfectly before you installed the new starter, right?
Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 AM

yeapp, the car was excellent before the starter no cel, and it ran fine. When my starter was done i made numerous attempts to start it... a friend of mine said by doing this i may have put to much stress on one of the sensors. Today i went outside, i started the car, it started first crank, and the idle was high like it was supposed to be in cold weather. I slammed on the gas and it wouldn't go above 3000 rpms soon as i released the peddle it jumped to 3400 rpms and went back to about 800 rpms. Its like my car is suffocating when i slam on the gas. I have no idea what the problem may be. I cleared the p0505 code yesterday, and as of today i still don't have a new code.

Last edited by bgawad; 02-13-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:52 AM

my bet is the MAF, also make sure there are no vacuum leaks. i know you did this already but it always good to double and triple check...but im still leaning towards the MAF...GL
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I replaced the MAF in mine and it fixed my issues similar to you....did you make it relearn the new MAF? ...on mine I just left the batt dissconnected overnight to reset everything....also I bought my MAF off ebay and it works great for 74.25...
Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 AM

yeapp, the car was excellent before the starter no cel, and it ran fine. When my starter was done i made numerous attempts to start it... a friend of mine said by doing this i may have put to much stress on one of the sensors. Today i went outside, i started the car, it started first crank, and the idle was high like it was supposed to be in cold weather. I slammed on the gas and it wouldn't go above 3000 rpms soon as i released the peddle it jumped to 3400 rpms and went back to about 800 rpms. Its like my car is suffocating when i slam on the gas. I have no idea what the problem may be. I cleared the p0505 code yesterday, and as of today i still don't have a new code.
Typical MAF issue. Search and read about MAFs.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:32 PM

guys!!!! i think i may know what the problem is...... can it be a large hole in my exhaust?? I went outside tonight revved the car when it was cold and it would not go above 3000 rpms. When the car was warmed i could bring it to 4500 rpms. But i tried everything to bring above 5200rpms and its a no go. Does this make sense, this may explain my rotten egg smell. I need your advice guys it makes sense right?? When i slam on the gas the exhaust is escaping probably before the cats (i gota check). But when i give it a slow steady rev the exhaust makes it to the end. It may still be the maf, im waiting for my refund from the seller on ebay. But can it be the exhaust?? would my car lose that much power from a hole in the exhaust? thanks so much guys!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:49 PM

Yes, a hole of size will definitely cost you the ability to get any RPM's ... I had a hole in an older car happen while driving home one evening and the best speed I could get was 50 kmph ... the car had no power whats so ever. o I would have to say it is a contributing factor