5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:25 PM

I was looking at someone selling the new oem headlights for about $750, lol

I would much prefer sticking with the eBay Halo. I already got 5000K HID's, I'll just need to get a different bulb size for them.

btw, drunkie; In total, all what parts did you need for the 5.5 Front End?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM
jss
Newbie - Just Registered

if anyones interested i have oem AE lights.. 150+ shipping obo.. message me for my number/pics
Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 PM

those are the same one i bought but i retrofitted some junkyard projectors off of a BMW idk series and i didnt bother to look, i saw the projectors and snatched them b4 anyone else lol. everything is plug and play. beware they have the turn signal light it the small corner of the head light without any amber houseing and in broad sunny daylight u see it almost clear or dim. so i swaped my signal lights to the bottom larger circle ones works alot better and left the above corner one for parking light. halos are ok though very dim in day time though, what do u expect theyre not BMW halos so i guess it does the job at night. good deal for 140.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Yeah, I just want them because they have the 5.5 style not the plain ol' 5th Gen. I will be getting these along with the 5.5 Bumper. A new set of my fog lights will be required. Another $100 thrown to the trash for the 5.5 fogs Do you have any pictures of yours? Which ones did you get? Chrome or Smoked?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 PM

I have been thinking doing a projector swap into my housings for a while but this thread has actually made me put some serious thought into it. I have read a few threads where the e55 projector housing from the 6th gen max swaps right into the ebay projectors anybody know if this is the case for the reflector style ebay lights? From the pics on ebay the mounting system looks identical.

I am tempted to buy a set of projectors to see for myself and if it doesnt i am sure i can recoup at least some of my money or find a way to retrofit it.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by KBCobra
Yeah, I just want them because they have the 5.5 style not the plain ol' 5th Gen. I will be getting these along with the 5.5 Bumper. A new set of my fog lights will be required. Another $100 thrown to the trash for the 5.5 fogs Do you have any pictures of yours? Which ones did you get? Chrome or Smoked?
The ebays aren't a bad jump-off point if you're trying to go above 5th gen stock in the interim. In the end, all roads lead to hid anyway (in some form or another lol)
Old 02-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Yup... I just can't decide because I read 50/50 good and bad reviews about the eBay headlights.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 AM

Yup... I just can't decide because I read 50/50 good and bad reviews about the eBay headlights.

In all honesty, if you're looking more for an immediate 'facelift' (2k2 bumper, grill, etc.), I'd go for the ebay lights initially.

It's not as if you won't ever be able to upgrade to the oem 2k2 lights...and the ebay lights won't punch a dent in your wallet. You'd have time to save and upgrade to the 2k2 lights if you ever decided you did indeed want them.

I don't know what other folks experience was, but the ebay lights (reflector style) were definitely brighter than my 00 01 oems were (before the retrofit)
Old 02-21-2010, 12:35 AM

I need a bumper anyway. 5.5 has detachable grille so obviously I need a grille as well. Same price as the 5th gen one for me so might as well get the 5.5. I'm also getting a new hood (hopefully 5.5 is the same as the 5th gen) and hopefully the fenders don't change. You make a very good point.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:38 AM

night pics plz for the ebay Projection Headlights
Old 02-21-2010, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by A-BOY
night pics plz for the ebay Projection Headlights
I am also looking for some, preferably with 5000K/6000K HID
Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM

What do you guys think about the Anzo USA projectro headlights? They look pretty good but the price? Hmm...
Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM

For that price, I'd rather throw in about $100 more and get the OEM 5.5 headlights. They look good, though.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 PM

I would love to upgrade my 2k headlights to the ebay 2k2 one's but i don't wanna loseing lighting bc my front windsheild is tinted (try drivin at night with sunglasses . . . PAIN ) but i plan on gettin hid's anyways so should i go with the ebay's?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by 00NisMaxSE
I would love to upgrade my 2k headlights to the ebay 2k2 one's but i don't wanna loseing lighting bc my front windsheild is tinted (try drivin at night with sunglasses . . . PAIN ) but i plan on gettin hid's anyways so should i go with the ebay's?

hahaha ur haveing visability issues with your lightoutput b.c u cant see with your front windshield tinted and sunglasses on? idk what to say.

-shouldnt have to buy a fender.
if your buying that much, why not just do and i30/i35 front end swap, i always drool at the thought.
or you can just do what i want to do(or the idea i want to steal from nexus)....just retro to bi-xenon projectors in your ae housing and rep the 00-01 look
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by arcueda
hahaha ur haveing visability issues with your lightoutput b.c u cant see with your front windshield tinted and sunglasses on? idk what to say.
haha no. my front windsheild is tinted and at night it's LIKE driving with your sunglasses on. i just wanted to know if the light out put from the ebay 2k2 headlights with HID's is better or worse than the light out put of the 2k OEM headlights?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 AM

I found these headlights courtesy of 03VIPMAX

They look much better than the eBay halo ones
I will be getting these for sure when I get my tax return.
About $200 that I actually am willing to spend
Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Here's the reason why I'm getting my 5.5 front

Bent hood

Hood don't close all the way, it's bent in half

i don't even know what the hell this is

Pushed in headlight

It's hard to reach the handle when I pop the hood
Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Here's the reason why I'm getting my 5.5 front

Bent hood

Poor max

Replacing the hood is going to suck.
All the parts, painting, and installation (if you pay to get it done, I probably would) is going to cost you an arm and a leg. Good luck, let us know how it all goes.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Agreed on the hood. That should probably be your first move (the others you mentioned are 5.5 specific)
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM

I found the hood and bumper for $245 both. My friend works at a bodyshop that does estimates for insurances and he's giving me the employee discount. I'm just waiting to get some money $$$. The painting can wait, I want to paint my entire car
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM

What about these? Anybody got em?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item45f122df3a
Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Most of the aftermarket lights you find look absolutely cheap, but I have seen others that looked surprisingly good. It's hard to tell though because it's seems that there is like 3 to 5 different styles probably all made by the same company. Like most I wanted a set of new OEM 5.5 gen lights but like most didn't want to spend $500-$800 on the lights plus a harness to wire them correctly and than a set of HID's. I looked at alot of headlight options and ended up with the black housing OEM style a few months back with a set of 8k HID. I'd be in the market for a different syle if a company would make a QUALITY black housing OEM style w/projector and w/out the damn halo rings... Or something completely new who knows, just give us something quality.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
I have been thinking doing a projector swap into my housings for a while but this thread has actually made me put some serious thought into it. I have read a few threads where the e55 projector housing from the 6th gen max swaps right into the ebay projectors anybody know if this is the case for the reflector style ebay lights? From the pics on ebay the mounting system looks identical.

I am tempted to buy a set of projectors to see for myself and if it doesnt i am sure i can recoup at least some of my money or find a way to retrofit it.
Read up on my retrofit project on my cardomain page. There should be a metal frame that holds the two reflector bowls, although mine are one bowl and projector. But the only way you will know is if you take apart the headlight.

I think e55s will fit but i think it's a bi-xenon projector. If you are willing to go from a two bulb setup to one, then you'll have to figure out the wiring to make it a working hi/low beam projector.

I retro-ed mine with the bosch e46 single, but I would like to do another with either a MDX or RX330. I'll try to post more pic since my retro is finally done.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM

I hate eBay lights
I'd go stock, smoked housing, or 5.5 HID
Old 02-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
I hate eBay lights
I'd go stock, smoked housing, or 5.5 HID
I would but OEM AE's look too plain and gay
I love the 5.5 but no way in hell am I going to pay $500+ for a pair of headlights.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 PM

The 5.5's kinda wanna make me take one for a G Ride and strip the front end, the VQ35 +6spd, and the leather interior! But then again, I'm no criminal, lmfao
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM

I love the 5.5 but no way in hell am I going to pay $500+ for a pair of headlights.[/QUOTE]

Good write-up Max-Spec.

Last edited by LILMAN; 02-26-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM

I'm really tempted to get these. I just sanded my headlights exactly one week ago, and they're starting to fog up again! Why didn't Nissan use glass??? And what do you guys think about spraying clearcoat on the headlights right after sanding them? I heard that that works pretty well if done right.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 PM

If you do get those, don't get them off that website. Those are the same eBay ones so get them from eBay, they're much cheaper. About the clear coat, read up on how to do it correctly, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have never thought about doing that. I just wax and buff my headlights every time I wash it to prevent any fogging =)
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM

^ I read up on it, but I talked to a guy at a collision shop, and he said certain clear coats can eat away at the head lights. I don't know how true that is though.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am also looking to buy new headlights for my 2000 GLE max. Now I dont wont anything expensive but I was looking at these halo's on ebay. All of the halo's i find are made in the US. I live in Canada and the cars are installed with their daylight running lights. Will US halo's fit into my car and work? If not, is there a way that I can wire them up so that they will work? thankss
Old 05-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i am buying a 2003 maxima and i want to know if the head lights change colour like in the new bmws or range rovers and if not how do i get that look please help me
Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 AM

Well I have the same black look with the halos but mines have the crystal Ball look in it had it since o6 and still looks brand new and the halos are white bright at night with 6oook hid set......and yes get the 5.5. Bumper looks much better than the
00 01.....and just connect the halos to the parking lights I have a day and night pic in my profile
Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM

yup, see below. plug + play
hey feldman.. do u have a picture of ur light output with the HIDs in the halo housing??
Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5th Gen Headlamp Swap

Is it possible to swap the factory HID headlamps off of 2003 Maxima on to a 2000 Maxima and will they work? If so, what all is entailed in doing so? Or is it plug and play? Thanks in advance for your help!

yup, see below. plug + play
Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 AM

^Very possible and many members have done it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/539334...-maxima/page-5

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...guide-diy.html

It's not plug n play and you need a wiring harness for a 02/03 headlight to splice into your oem factory harness. Otherwise, you gotta use the search tab up-top and compile more info.

Last edited by Nexus67; 09-14-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:07 AM

They do look good!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Hello everyone, from a newbie here from So Cal. Just picked up my first Maxi a couple of weeks ago (2K1 SE - passed up a Mercedes C230 after I saw my brother's '00 GLE he picked up 2 days earlier) after blowing out the tranny on my 735 BMW. Got this as an interim car, but really liking it so far and already addicted to facelifting it as much as I can (added JDM fogs, replaced head unit, speakers, brakes & rotors, replaced the "Grand Am"-looking wheels with 17" GLE wheels, tint, ordered clear sidemarkers & clear taillights. Now I want Stillen lip, maybe slam it an inch or so). I went ahead and got the fleabay halo projector headlights before reading up on these boards. (Racer Innovations - "an Eagle Eyes Product") and did HID retrofits for both low and high beam (shop was supposed to do HID's on lows and fogs, but instead did low/high beams - not offended since I was worried about HID's in JDM-stlye fogs with no reflector cap). Indeed, these lights produce a tremendous amount of scatter.

At first, right beam seemed good and left beam was so scattered it was practically ineffective. However, after some degree of adjustment, left beam looks decent and right beam is now really scattered (adjustment screws seem to be almost useless in these). Can't tell yet if I'm better off than stocks until I take a night drive in the mountains - will report later.

Here's my questions for the moment:
1) If I turn on the high beams, the low beams turn off. Is this normal, or is this a screw-up by the shop?
2) Is there something I can do by taking them out to improve adjustability? and
3) On a totally unrelated subject, I'm converting all the park/turn/stop/reverse and sidemarker bulbs to LED. In anticipation (and having already put LED's in the front), I have installed the digital flasher relay to prevent hyperflashing. Will this also prevent the "bulb out" warning, or is there even a bulb warning lamp on the '01 SE?

Thanks in advance, will post pics of my "new" ride after 15 posts...

Last edited by EuroDriver; 09-15-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 PM

Oh and by the way...for those of you considering the fleabay lights, fitment is not perferct. There is a gap on the inner lower corner (as mentioned previously) and the inner tab does not sit flush on the frame inside the hood (tab is a little too tall). However, they do bolt right on without modification or to much hassle and overall they do look good (gap is not glaring or anything), IMHO, much better than the stocks) but just something to consider if you're a perfectionist or something (my $0.02)

Last edited by EuroDriver; 09-15-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Maxima Headlights