5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rough Idle, Some Questions-- Ive Searched

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Rough Idle, Some Questions-- Ive Searched

Okay I have a bad idle right now. No codes.
Seems to run fine until the idle drops below 1000 and when warmed up. Idle gets real low and you can hear a miss somewhere through the exhaust

Check the following:

Checked all ignition coils, all made idle worse

Check spark plugs, looked find, replaced with NGK Iridiums, no difference

Checked all fuel injectors for resistance, front 3 - 13.6 -- back 3 - 24 (when checking through the plug with UIM still on).. Is this right? The engine was off when checking them too. I dont see how it would be good on the motor to unplug it when they are off. This correct?

A 2000 Maxima injectors should be between 14-15 ohms. I just thought its weird that all three of the rears are 24 ohms and all the same

A little more info. This idle seems to be bad since I installed my headers. My EGR is removed and I made plates to put on. The sensor are still plugged in, as if you take the plugs out you cant rev past 2600rmp..

Im really hoping its not a leak somewhere, although I dont see how it could be since you can hear a misfire. I will be cleaning the TB out if its not the injectors

Am I doing this correct? Any other ideas on my problem. Ive searched a lot over the last few weeks and it really could be many problems..

Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm at a loss when it comes to headers, but I know that when I replaced my fuel filter my car had a much smoother idle. Also seemed to have a little bit more get up and go once changed.

Also, it may have something to do with your EGR (or lack thereof). I'm not sure how cars react with no EGR, but depending on whether the exhaust loop is open or closed could have something to do with your idle when the car is warm.

Do you feel like you have less power at all when the car is warm?

Last edited by ZGadson; 02-20-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM

My first guess is blocking the EGR will lean your idle which might make it idle rough. Truth be told however my bone stock 2002 with 90K on it has the OEM plugs and is doing the same thing - missing sometimes at idle when warm. It runs great otherwise though. I planned to install NGK V-power plugs in it along with a complete tune-up in the spring.

If it got worse when you messed with our wires, you could have one or more spark plug wires getting weak or going bad. If they've never been replaced, it might be time.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
I'm at a loss when it comes to headers, but I know that when I replaced my fuel filter my car had a much smoother idle. Also seemed to have a little bit more get up and go once changed.

Also, it may have something to do with your EGR (or lack thereof). I'm not sure how cars react with no EGR, but depending on whether the exhaust loop is open or closed could have something to do with your idle when the car is warm.

Do you feel like you have less power at all when the car is warm?
Originally Posted by Wurf
My first guess is blocking the EGR will lean your idle which might make it idle rough. Truth be told however my bone stock 2002 with 90K on it has the OEM plugs and is doing the same thing - missing sometimes at idle when warm. It runs great otherwise though. I planned to install NGK V-power plugs in it along with a complete tune-up in the spring.

If it got worse when you messed with our wires, you could have one or more spark plug wires getting weak or going bad. If they've never been replaced, it might be time.
Sounds like the EGR could be an issue.
Anyone knowledgeable with the EGR? I believe it only works when the engine is warmed up and at idle. Can something be done to fix the lean idle? Or am I going to need to tune the engine with something like an EU/Wideband?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 PM

I was thinking, could it be the IACV? Is that something that would make this an issue? Id like to find a cheaper way then getting an EU/wideband and tuning it, and even then Im not sure it would fix the problem..

Any ideas?????
Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 PM

Bump for anyne who knows about egr???
Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 PM

Randomly died today at a stop. Has never done this before. Seems like the idle is getting worse, might be IACV? I am going to clean it tomorrow and replace the gasket.. Along with the TB and replace the UIM gaskets..
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Rough idle and died at stops can be dirty TB / IACV. I would clean them first. My friend's car (not maxima) had the same problem, I just clean them and it fixed the problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Rough idle and died at stops can be dirty TB / IACV. I would clean them first. My friend's car (not maxima) had the same problem, I just clean them and it fixed the problem.
Its only stalled once. The idle issue has been an issue since I did my headers (deleted my EGR)..

Does anyone know what the issues are when removing the EGR and leaving the sensors out?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:05 PM

bump for any answers..... Im clueless..

I also went to the stealership earlier today and apparently they cant sell me a TB or IACV gaskets... Time to call DaveB