5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

whats this? (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM

whats this? (pictures)

so i did the battery re-locate and the only problem that i am having is that the negative cable isnt long enough to reach the negative terminal on the battery. so what i did to make it long was :

the negative cable is bolted down to the fender so i un-bolted it to give it more slack to connect it to the negative battery terminal. is this ok to do? whats the purpose of the negative cable to be bolted to the fender? any help would be appreciated. thanks alot.

Last edited by 914Max914; 03-10-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM

umm....ground?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 AM

drill a new hole, tap it and screw it down
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM

What a waste of time...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
What a waste of time...
For you it may have been simple to figure out, but for the poster it was something he needed help with. I don't think it was a waste of time at all. He posted pictures and clearly explained his problem. Comments like the above discourage other users from asking questions when they need help.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Actually, for someone to take the time to relocate the battery and not know that they need to at minimum maintain the existing grounding pattern, he's probably lucky the posts haven't gotten worse. I mean, the more grounding the better, you take away some of those points, you're liable to have all sorts of issues until you resolve it.

My advice, get some longer cable, and add a grounding kit across the entire engine compartment...not hard to do, and you should see some basic improvements with regards to your electric systems...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
For you it may have been simple to figure out, but for the poster it was something he needed help with. I don't think it was a waste of time at all. He posted pictures and clearly explained his problem. Comments like the above discourage other users from asking questions when they need help.

At least the question was thorough and well-documented. I don't understand why someone expects everyone to know something like that. Just because it's common knowledge to you doesn't mean it is to everyone.

Although I do feel that if you're unsure about running electrical wires, etc, and how they work, you probably should have someone who knows what they're doing help you out. Just for future reference.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
This is rare. The kind of response that makes you appreciate the better nature in people. Well done, kiyakerz.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 PM

What a waste of time...
lets try to keep pointless comments away from the org.. this is a place where people come to ask questions...its not like he is sayin.."yo *** check oUt maH HAwT new window decal" .....ahh...i wish we still had mods on the 5g's ... where can we vote for a new one.. ROCHESTER-- you have my vote.

on topic..you need to connect the battery to the frame... I advise using some sandpaper and scratching off the paint where your going to make the connection(drill new hole).. and also on the metal clip, to improve the metal to metal connection, and thus in thory provide a better ground.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
lets try to keep pointless comments away from the org.. this is a place where people come to ask questions...its not like he is sayin.."yo *** check oUt maH HAwT new window decal" .....ahh...i wish we still had mods on the 5g's ... where can we vote for a new one.. ROCHESTER-- you have my vote.
Wait, our forum has no mods?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

In for Rochester as a mod. My vote is in...
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM

I can add my .02 cents whenever I want. If you don't like my response, then move along.

I don't know why people think relocating the battery will do anything at all except for take too much time and unnecessary money. If you say that you are trying to get more proportial weight from front to rear, it will take moving 330+ lbs from the front, to the back to achieve 50/50. Moving a battery doesn't do anything.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
.....ahh...i wish we still had mods on the 5g's ... where can we vote for a new one.. ROCHESTER-- you have my vote.
This thread didn't need moderator input, you guys did it yourselves.

And be honest, which of you read this and didn't also think it was a dumb thread? It wasn't until kiyakerz pointed out a better perspective that I realized he was right. It's humbling. I love those moments.

I think the 5th gen forum is doing just fine. There's a good crew of regulars keeping it real, moderators or no moderators.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM

I can add my .02 cents whenever I want. If you don't like my response, then move along.

I don't know why people think relocating the battery will do anything at all except for take too much time and unnecessary money. If you say that you are trying to get more proportial weight from front to rear, it will take moving 330+ lbs from the front, to the back to achieve 50/50. Moving a battery doesn't do anything.

Let the flaming begin.
It has nothing to do with the battery relocation begin a waste of time or not. It's more about the fact that instead of just saying, "that's the ground wire," you had to come back with such a retarded response. That's something I'd expect out of a Honda fanboy forum, not the org.

Maybe he's not doing the relocation because he wants to save weight. Maybe it's for asthetic purposes. To each their own. I'm sure there are things you've done with your car that some people don't necessarily think is worthwhile.

I'm not saying I'm not guilty of this kind of ish, either. But the kid took pictures and everything for crissakes. I give him props for that.

Sure this may be a goofy question, but not everyone has infinite knowledge when it comes to cars. I just last night figured out the difference between rev-up and non rev-up parts, even after spending months in threads about them.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 03-10-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM

definitely goes to show how crappy the factory ground can get over the years GL with the relocation man
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
It has nothing to do with the battery relocation begin a waste of time or not. It's more about the fact that instead of just saying, "that's the ground wire," you had to come back with such a retarded response. That's something I'd expect out of a Honda fanboy forum, not the org.

Maybe he's not doing the relocation because he wants to save weight. Maybe it's for asthetic purposes. To each their own. I'm sure there are things you've done with your car that some people don't necessarily think is worthwhile.

I'm not saying I'm not guilty of this kind of ish, either. But the kid took pictures and everything for crissakes. I give him props for that.

Sure this may be a goofy question, but not everyone has infinite knowledge when it comes to cars. I just last night figured out the difference between rev-up and non rev-up parts, even after spending months in threads about them.

When I posted "what a waste of time', I was referring to relocating the battery, not the posters questions. Let's all move on
Old 03-10-2010, 04:28 PM

When I posted "what a waste of time', I was referring to relocating the battery, not the posters questions. Let's all move on
NO, you get back here. I am NOT done with this argument.

I'm kidding.

Maybe I took your post in the wrong context.

I apologize. I'm not looking for a fight. I've just gotten sick of the amount of crap I've seen newbs getting lately. Even if it's a simple question that's been answered 1,000 times, it's probably easier to just answer it than go on a rant about why searching is so important. You know?

Granted, I understand going after a newb who says some bull ish like, "I'm getting an R34 bodykit 'cause daddy's paying for it, what do you guys think?!" But legit questions, that's a different story.

The Maxima fanbase is small enough as it is. I don't see why we shouldn't take every opportunity we can to let it get bigger. That's all.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:04 PM

I apologize. I'm not looking for a fight. I've just gotten sick of the amount of crap I've seen newbs getting lately. Even if it's a simple question that's been answered 1,000 times, it's probably easier to just answer it than go on a rant about why searching is so important. You know?
i couldnt agree more its alot easier to just help out instead of lashing out esp when they are genuinely looking for help everybody knows how it feels to be in that situation
Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 PM

thanks alot for all the response's people. I appreciate them all except for the people who bashed on me because i didnt know what it was exactly. the battery relocate isnt pointless in my case because im going to extend the intake to the headlight and remove the head light when i go to the track (1/4 mile). then put the intake back and then put the headlight back for the streets. thanks for the people who gave real responses and took time to answer my question without being a jerk about it.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 914Max914
the battery relocate isnt pointless in my case because im going to extend the intake to the headlight and remove the head light when i go to the track (1/4 mile). then put the intake back and then put the headlight back for the streets.
Awesome. Relocating the battery for a totally credible reason.

Have you thought about using the driver's side fog for that purpose instead of the headlight? It's a lot easier removing the fog.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Awesome. Relocating the battery for a totally credible reason.

Have you thought about using the driver's side fog for that purpose instead of the headlight? It's a lot easier removing the fog.
I've seen tons of people relocate it just to extend or create a true cai.

Let's not bash his reasons with-out his opinion. Also tons of people are relocating their battery in many different cars, it makes the engine bay look cleaner, especially if you hide all the wires around. However in our cars I think it makes the engine bay look too empty considering our motors aren't centered, but you get it..

Gl op
Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
I've seen tons of people relocate it just to extend or create a true cai.

Let's not bash his reasons with-out his opinion. Also tons of people are relocating their battery in many different cars, it makes the engine bay look cleaner, especially if you hide all the wires around. However in our cars I think it makes the engine bay look too empty considering our motors aren't centered, but you get it..

Gl op
Putting a short ram on our cars makes the engine bay look pretty empty, too, if you remove the factory airbox.

But, if you're looking for performance over looks, it really shouldn't matter...
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM

thanks alot people for your help i appreciate it. and yea i never thought about removing the fog light and doing a true CAI. good point ima look into that.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Putting a short ram on our cars makes the engine bay look pretty empty, too, if you remove the factory airbox.

But, if you're looking for performance over looks, it really shouldn't matter...
I mainly meant for a true cai, since injen makes a pretty pos one imo.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 AM

Now that I have seen the picture, I need to re-ground that. Clean the terminal and make sure it is well GROUNDED.

Thanks for this thread!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 AM

Seriously you need to scour that connection, clean it up and tap in tight.