5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I35 Seats in an 00 maxima help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 AM

I35 Seats in an 00 maxima help!!

i know, I know, i see many threads on this topic and they always lead me to a dead end. I recently saw 2003 i35 seats online they are heated front and back for about $300 but there in RI so there goes another $100 on gas. I see many people saying its a simple swap but when i was looking at the picture of the seats, there seems to be a an ecu looking box with like 40 wires comming out of under the driver seat it???? What color wires do i plug in for all the power options on the seat to work? Also there heated... i noticed i have the wiring harness under my console for the switches but they lead to no where..... how exactly do i wire the harness to seats regarding power, and grounds.... i know theres plenty of threads on the wiring but all the pics they take are to far for me to see what wires go where... i just need someone to tell me colors of each wire, and where they should go.... lastly how would i wire the rear heated switch?? ill try to make a writeup for future use. My goal is to have a very specific write up on the wiring, and heating seat thread so theyll be less threads on these topics.. Thanks again!!! (my 97 maxima leather swap seemed to be 100% easier lol)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Boy, you have taken on a huge DIY. Do you even have a circuit dedicated for heaters? That's a huge draw!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Is this really a huge DIY?????? i thought this was much easier power and ground for the power seats, and some wiring for the heated seats..... i really thought this was a lot easier, i heard of many people doing this swap how difficult can it be??? any insight please before i pick these up!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Who were the people who did many of them? From this board?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 AM

in an even harder case, wires to a 4th gen:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...o-4th-gen.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...h-gen-how.html

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/272891-installing-02-i35-black-leather-seats.html

now for the 5th gen:

this guy says its a dfinate fit:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-2003-max.html

i dont feel like searching anymore but from what i seen it doesent look to bad(you can search as well), and what do u mean when u say Do you even have a circuit dedicated for heaters??? the seats already have the heaters in them im just going to connect it to the on/off heated seat switch...(similar to aftermarket fog light.. just a switch thaty provides power to the sorce when the car is on the accesory mide) anyone else know what there talking about and has some advice on the install??
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Just swap them first and worry about the wires later
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM

First off.. its a definite fit.

Secondly.. wiring is alot easier than you think.

BECAUSE.. i have done this swap already. For the front seats, YOU MUST swap out the entire seat cushions and put it onto YOUR MAXIMA seat frame. I wish i had my old laptop working because i had tons of pictures of the swap. The work is pretty involved, but in the end, the goal is having the I35 seats, but on your Maxima seat frame so you are able to just plug the seat right up to your car.

Reason why you should switch the whole frame is because the big box/computer looking thing on the I35 seat you see, is the brain for the memory seat option that came in the I35.. its just ALOT easier getting rid of the memory seat stuff than trying to integrate it into your Maxima (2000-01 with no memory seat, im sure its do-able for the 2002-03 with memory seat option).

As far as the rear seat heater goes, i cant help you there. I didnt wire them up. But im pretty sure you'll have to have the factory switches installed somewhere, then wire that to a relay that you'll have to put in, then have the actual heater elements wired directly to the power source on the fuse box using a seperate fuse for that whole system. Just so you dont burn your car down.

Last edited by s1mply_v; 03-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM

ohhh ok my front seats are currently not powered is there away i can just take the memory seat box out? and us the same rails? i realllllllly want the heated seats in the front if anyone can just tell me how to wire the 4 prong adapter that'll be awesome. i have no idea what the point of the loose heated seat wires are doing in my middle console not sure if i can use them in any way... So is it possible to wire the i35 seats with the same rails if so what wires do i use to power them? passenger is easy just the drive concerns me a little.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM

subscribed
Old 03-11-2010, 02:08 PM

heres an example of the box under the seats
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-In...ht_3459wt_1075
1 pic shows the box under the drivers seat..... where are the 2 wires for power and ground to make the seats powered??
Old 03-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This may help you and it may not.

I'm not sure about the 5th gen with I35 seats but I just put heated memory seats into my 5.5. If you can get the harnesses from the donor car you can get the memory function to work. You need the harness that runs from the center console to the seat and the complete door harness and memory buttons from the donor car. The part numbers are different for the door harness without memory function (the plug for the memory buttons isn't there).

There are 6 wires that run from the center console harness under the seat and over to the B pillar. You need to get a length of these wires.

white/red +12V - tap this into the white/red from the original 2 wire harness
YELLOW/BLUE +12V - tap this into the white/red from the original 2 wire harness
BLACK GROUND - tap this into the black from the original 2 wire harness
Red/green Needed for the "automatic drive positioner". Supposed to get 12V when the key is in ignition.
light green DOOR SWITCH - WORKS WITH GROUND - also needed for "automatic drive positioner"

I couldn't get the drive postioner to work no matter what I did. It could of been a simple programming of the module or something else but in any case I don't need it as my seat stays all the way back. The plugs for the heat switches should be taped up inside the center console. Just get the switches and plug them in. My car had the plug for heat under the seat already. I didn't need to add any fuses or relays.

If you cant get the harnesses you may be able to get power to the seats by supplying 12V to the yellow wire in pin 1 and brown wire in pin 11. Then ground the black wires in 16 and 33. You are on your own for the rear heat. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Reizy thanks so much!!! biggest help on this thread... i went to my car took my cloth driver seat out i noticed there was the seatbelt wire, power and ground clip (for the power seats), and a third harness. The third harness was 3 prong, is this for my heated seats?? also my passenger does not have one wire under it it's completely empty, this makes no sense to me because where is the second harness under the console going too? if one harness goes to the switch for the driver, the other part connects to the seat which is under my driver side. But the passenger side switch has another harness under the console for the switch but its not under my passenger side seat.. where could the passenger heated harness be?? (i bought these seats online so chances are its gonna be hard to get the harness for the memory seats, i will try to ask though... also do i need the memory computer harness to power the seats or is there a different wire under the seat for power?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM

The passenger plugs may be under the carpet?

In my pic that bigger plug on the right supplies power to the seat. I tapped into the original power (center) and the heat is on the left.

But like I said, you may be able to power the seat without the harness by tapping 12V to the yellow wire in pin 1 and brown wire in pin 11. Then ground the black wires. Hell, you could even make your own harness from the center console to the seat if you have the FSM. Wiring to the memory switch in the door may be a bit more difficult.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:27 PM

ok so the does the large harness for the memory have power, ground, and memory wire for the seat? i know u said brown and yellow are pos. and ground all the blacks... so the heated element of the seat is a different harness or connected with the power,ground, memory clip?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 PM

wow....what a great thread...kinda makes me glad my SE has heated leather seats. what an intense swap.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:45 AM

w/e im going to go with the sale.... ill try to do a write up the only good thing is that the seats are going to mount perfectly in the stock holes, and the passenger side should be a plug and play since the wiring is only for power and heated, driver is going to give me the most problems..
Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 AM

I recenlty added I35 heated front and rear seats to my I30. There is a separate harness on the I35 seats for the heat, it's not included with the memory or power harness. The switch wiring was under the console for the heat, but not under the seats. My seats included the harness so I just had to run wires from the switch to the harness on the seat. I am not sure if this helps you, but I thought I would share the experience. I used the FSMs found on the NICO forum to figure out the wiring. I should note however, that one of the wires on the FSM was not the same color on the harness that came with the seat.

For the rear seats, I had only had the plugs on the seats and not the harness. I was able to find the rear window switches with the seat heater controls on ebay, and already had an extra harness for the switches, they are the same as the front. I used an add-a-fuse fuse holder to the heated seat fuse on the panel and ran the hot to rear switches. Ran wires from the switches to seats. I took off the interior/door panels and ran all wires with existing wiring, through the pillar between the doors and also through rubber loom going from the pillar to the door - no exposed wires.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 AM

heyy

thanks so much

Last edited by bgawad; 03-16-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 AM

Great to see that you are on your way for a swap! Good for you. Take pics and do a DIY for others to use! Good job!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 AM

subscribed to see end results!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Subscribed as well. I have cloth seats on mine and I'd love to put leather in.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM

ok i'm going to pick up the seats tomorrow. Ill let you guys know how it goes.. in the mean time is there anyone willing to but my front and rear cloth gray seats for $30 front and really really desperate to sell em i might just throw em out but any takers?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 PM

alright guys just got the seats today and there awesome no wrinkles or tears anywhere. I came late so i tried to install my drivers side seat, it mounted where it should of, i wired the power option, then wired the heated harness. Now everything works but the heated driver side... idk what the problem could be the the heated light switch flickered and went off, but the fuse it good. Does anyone know how to bypass the switch and what wires i have to put together to manually override the switch (4 prong harness) to see that the seats are not the problem? It would be big help for quick responses because i want to finish the install asap and provide a write up. thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 PM

As I read the FSM for the 2000 Max, the connectors in the console for the switches are 4 wire connectors, square shaped.

Driver's seat switch:
Pin 1 - Green with red stripe - 12 volts from 10 amp fuse # 9
Pin 2 - gray - to seat heater element # 1
Pin 3 - gray with red stripe - to seat heater element # 2
Pin 4 - black wire - chassis ground.
only needed for indicator lights built into the switch.

Passenger seat switch:
Pin 1 - Green with red stripe - 12 volts from 10 amp fuse # 9
Pin 2 - gray with ??? stripe- to seat heater element # 1
Pin 3 - gray with black stripe - to seat heater element # 2
Pin 4 - black wire - chassis ground.
only needed for indicator lights built into the switch.

In low heat mode, only heater element 1 is used (pin 2).
In high heat mode, both heater elements are used (pins 2&3).

The 2000 Max FSM does not show anything about heated rear seats.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM

I tried to wire as it says in this thread, but it did not work. Am I missing anything? I have the harnesses from the donor car. I would just like to power the seats
Originally Posted by Reizy
This may help you and it may not.

I'm not sure about the 5th gen with I35 seats but I just put heated memory seats into my 5.5. If you can get the harnesses from the donor car you can get the memory function to work. You need the harness that runs from the center console to the seat and the complete door harness and memory buttons from the donor car. The part numbers are different for the door harness without memory function (the plug for the memory buttons isn't there).

There are 6 wires that run from the center console harness under the seat and over to the B pillar. You need to get a length of these wires.

white/red +12V - tap this into the white/red from the original 2 wire harness
YELLOW/BLUE +12V - tap this into the white/red from the original 2 wire harness
Red/green Needed for the "automatic drive positioner". Supposed to get 12V when the key is in ignition.
light green DOOR SWITCH - WORKS WITH GROUND - also needed for "automatic drive positioner"

I couldn't get the drive postioner to work no matter what I did. It could of been a simple programming of the module or something else but in any case I don't need it as my seat stays all the way back. The plugs for the heat switches should be taped up inside the center console. Just get the switches and plug them in. My car had the plug for heat under the seat already. I didn't need to add any fuses or relays.

If you cant get the harnesses you may be able to get power to the seats by supplying 12V to the yellow wire in pin 1 and brown wire in pin 11. Then ground the black wires in 16 and 33. You are on your own for the rear heat. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM

You tapped both the white/red and yellow/blue into the original white/red and also tapped both black wires to the black on the original 2 wire harness? Its been a while but I think that is all you need to move the seats. All of the other wires are for memory functions.

What year are the new seats from? All of mine were swapped 02 cloth to 02 leather so wiring may be different from year to year.

Check the fuses. Also find and download the FSM.

If you have the harness from the donor car it should go like this:

tap those into this:

Last edited by Reizy; 02-17-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 AM
RR5

Link in my signature might have the i30 FSM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 AM

The leather seats are from a 2003 GLE Max and I'm putting them into a 2002 SE Max. I tapped the white/red and yellow/blue to positive and the the two blacks to negative of an 18V battery to test. Nothing has worked. I was able to get the passenger side to work, but the driver side won't move. I have been looking at the FSM as well, and I cannot figure it out.

Originally Posted by Reizy
You tapped both the white/red and yellow/blue into the original white/red and also tapped both black wires to the black on the original 2 wire harness? Its been a while but I think that is all you need to move the seats. All of the other wires are for memory functions.

What year are the new seats from? All of mine were swapped 02 cloth to 02 leather so wiring may be different from year to year.

Check the fuses. Also find and download the FSM.

If you have the harness from the donor car it should go like this:

tap those into this:
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Sounds like your switch may be bad. Can you supply power directly to any of the motors to make them move? I had to do that to get to the front bolts when I removed mine because the car was already half gutted and didn't have power. You do have the 12 or so pin harness that goes into the leather seats? Check for power on the original 2 pin harness, even though it should have moved with your battery.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 PM
I love lamp.

I just installed heated seats into my 02 GLE. All the harnesses were in place under the seat and in the console. However I had problems with the auto positioner. Turns out that if you have memory seats like I do, the controller under the driver seat is different between manual and automatics. The seats I had came from a 6-speed, and obviously I have an auto. I swapped out the units and the auto positioner started working again after doing the re-initialization step in the FSM.

S