5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Painting rims black!!!!!!!!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 AM

Painting rims black!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hey was up everyone so im droping the car soon and i wanted to paint my rims black for a more aggressive look can anyone photoshop the rims black???and my fogs are on the way thx to cmd26

Old 03-21-2010, 01:43 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/photoshop-artwork-forum-77/
Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 AM

ooo thx man....i forgot about it
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 AM

drop before painting rims...IMO

also if your going black look into... smoked side markers.. AE'd headlights...black tape on the door trim and grill trim.. black out front nissan emblem..
Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 AM

Be careful about that or powder coating.
The baking process warped my Shoguns 2 oz weight to balance.
I had before my big brake kit.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Why are all your threads screaming with repeated exclamation points?

WHY????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, your rims look fine as is. They're very attractive. If you paint them black, instead of looking aggressive, black on sunlit sand might just look dirty.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Personally those rims look great just as is, I do agree with you on a mild drop and get some nice fog lamps to replace the black filler caps ... perhaps up grade the head lamps to a set of 02-03 HID lamps blacken them and clear the corner orange lens. subtle changes work wonders for the whole overall appearance of the ride. You could also change the side markers to a smoked set to help with the looks of the exterior of the car... just my 2cents
Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Why are all your threads screaming with repeated exclamation points?

WHY????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, your rims look fine as is. They're very attractive. If you paint them black, instead of looking aggressive, black on sunlit sand might just look dirty.
I agree.. i wouldnt paint those specific rims black... rather do what i said eariler in blacking out other parts.. chrome accents..headlights.. ect
Old 03-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Should have sold the rims as you planned before....get the rims you like.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Nah dont paint them. Especially with a gold car.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by tunafish51
Nah dont paint them. Especially with a gold car.

Hey, what's wrong w/ black rims on a gold car lol
Old 03-21-2010, 03:50 PM

IMHO i've never liked those wheels on your car..even imagining it with a drop still didnt appeal..i think you need to try to trade and get some other wheels...
Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
IMHO i've never liked those wheels on your car..even imagining it with a drop still didnt appeal..i think you need to try to trade and get some other wheels...
Yup, +1. Sell it and get the ones you like.

If you will drop them, get a different set!
Old 03-21-2010, 05:40 PM

scrap the paint idea. do the other subtle upgrades others have mentioned.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:55 PM

are those 18in g37 wheels?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Hell ya i got someone on my side lol........btw nice car

bgawad----there 17in g37 wheels

Last edited by MIKE323; 03-21-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Buy coilovers instead

Just kidding but IMO you will get a lot better aesthetic satisfaction out of dropping your car, truuuust me. I had the stock G35 17 rims and my car looked like a truck till I got my D2 coilovers.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM

Drop it first, It looks like a 4x4 Maxima!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kinda of black are you gonna paint it... glossy, semi-gloss, ultra flat, low gloss black??????????????
Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 AM

Thx MoncefA33........i just hope everything looks great when its finished
Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Buy coilovers instead

Just kidding but IMO you will get a lot better aesthetic satisfaction out of dropping your car, truuuust me. I had the stock G35 17 rims and my car looked like a truck till I got my D2 coilovers.
your car still aint dropped *** LOL
Old 03-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Since the forum is all about opinions, here's one: dropping the Nissan Maxima is usually lame, unless you do it lightly and match it with the right rims and offset. If all you do is drop = lame.

Although the car is quite excellent in its class, it's still just an average, 4-door sedan. Moreover than not, when it gets dropped it looks really out of place, and a modification born of immature priorities. Suspension and handling is best optimized by selecting the right performance parts, not by lowering the car.

I'm really tired of this "drop the car" nonsense.

That said, it's an argument I'll never win around here.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

no its not. LOL

i only want better handling and if a lower COG is going to help that, then that is what i would do, but to lower the car for pure aesthetics in my opinion is dumb.

to the OP...dont paint the wheels they look good the way they are and more than likely it wont turn out the way you want it to. If your dead set on black rims either buy new ones or pay a professional to have those painted.

my .02

B
Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
to the OP...dont paint the wheels they look good the way they are and more than likely it wont turn out the way you want it to. If your dead set on black rims either buy new ones or pay a professional to have those painted.
true that.. those rims are way too nice to be ruined with a sloppy paint job..
Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 AM

Since the forum is all about opinions, here's one: dropping the Nissan Maxima is usually lame, unless you do it lightly and match it with the right rims and offset. If all you do is drop = lame.

Although the car is quite excellent in its class, it's still just an average, 4-door sedan. Moreover than not, when it gets dropped it looks really out of place, and a modification born of immature priorities. Suspension and handling is best optimized by selecting the right performance parts, not by lowering the car.

Rochester, relax. This dude knows me personally so he likes giving me crap on the .Org.

And I think my car looks gangsta when it's dropped on the G wheels with rear spacers
Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 AM

HAHA I've gone black with stocks on my gray lustre. And i'd go black with stock rims on a gold max. I just wouldnt mess with those particular ones on there black.

they look great stock with drop
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Drop it first, It looks like a 4x4 Maxima!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kinda of black are you gonna paint it... glossy, semi-gloss, ultra flat, low gloss black??????????????

Im most likely going with a semi gloss...........How come i dont like these rims that much but everyone loves them.....does anyone want to trade for 18 lol jk

Last edited by MIKE323; 03-22-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Rochester, relax. This dude knows me personally so he likes giving me crap on the .Org.

And I think my car looks gangsta when it's dropped on the G wheels with rear spacers
Moncef, I don't care if he calls you a ***. That's between you, him and your respective closets. I was being sincere in disagreement on "dropping" our cars. There's a weird kind of peer pressure on the Org in this respect, and I don't understand where it comes from. You know, on days like today when I'm early to work, I get to park directly outside my office. And I'm looking at my 17" SE rims and stock suspension height right now, thinking it looks just fine. I don't see a 4x4 (sic).

There's something that you guys are seeing that's just not on my radar. Maybe I'm frustrated, because I don't understand the perspective that makes this a priority, much less an issue.

Anyway, no one needs to stick up for you on the forum. You handle yourself just fine.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Moncef, I don't care if he calls you a ***. That's between you, him and your respective closets. I was being sincere in disagreement on "dropping" our cars. There's a weird kind of peer pressure on the Org in this respect, and I don't understand where it comes from. You know, on days like today when I'm early to work, I get to park directly outside my office. And I'm looking at my 17" SE rims and stock suspension height right now, thinking it looks just fine. I don't see a 4x4 (sic).

There's something that you guys are seeing that's just not on my radar. Maybe I'm frustrated, because I don't understand the perspective that makes this a priority, much less an issue.

Anyway, no one needs to stick up for you on the forum. You handle yourself just fine.
You dont think it would look a little better sittin a little lower at all?

B
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM

You dont think it would look a little better sittin a little lower at all?

B
Dude, I never thought about it one bit until I started participating in this forum. To be honest to my aesthetic values, I would like better continuity in the gap comparing the tire to the top of the wheel-well against the gap between the tire and the sides of the wheel-well. However, the overriding aesthetic priority would be to keep the car parallel to the ground.

Do I wish that the Maxima did this as well as the Infiniti G, for example? Well, sure. The G addresses wheel-well gap with perfect design.

I'm sorry for going OT, I occasionally like to vent about this drop-your-ride nonsense. And maybe the OP could benefit from a different opinion on the matter, even though I am teasing him a little, too.

Go on and get back to talking about painting!!!!!! your!!!!!!! rims!!!!!!! black!!!!!! Argh!!!!! MY EXCLAMATION KEY IS STUCK AGAIN!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 AM

The main reason why i want to drop the car is because the front gap between the tire and fender is big its like i could fit my foot in there lol
Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Drop yes, paint on the rimsmaybe?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Dude, I never thought about it one bit until I started participating in this forum. To be honest to my aesthetic values, I would like better continuity in the gap comparing the tire to the top of the wheel-well against the gap between the tire and the sides of the wheel-well. However, the overriding aesthetic priority would be to keep the car parallel to the ground.

Do I wish that the Maxima did this as well as the Infiniti G, for example? Well, sure. The G addresses wheel-well gap with perfect design.

I'm sorry for going OT, I occasionally like to vent about this drop-your-ride nonsense. And maybe the OP could benefit from a different opinion on the matter, even though I am teasing him a little, too.

Go on and get back to talking about painting!!!!!! your!!!!!!! rims!!!!!!! black!!!!!! Argh!!!!! MY EXCLAMATION KEY IS STUCK AGAIN!!!!!!!
i see your point. I want a lower car for pure performance reasons. Ive taken a ride in cars whose owners what the look of a lowered car. well thats all they paid for was the look. my spine will never be the same from those rides

B
Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM

I agree with what Nissanman is saying.

I bought coilovers for the handling. My buddy bought coilovers so he could ride full slam.

Guess who broke an axle first.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM

It's not just on the .org man.
Most people don't like un-lowered cars, myself included.
Aside from getting my car maintenance up to speed, lowering is the first thing to be done.

Lowering > Rims

Infact..

Lowering > Everything
Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MIKE323
Hell ya i got someone on my side lol........btw nice car

bgawad----there 17in g37 wheels
Gold Club members gotta stick together by default lol

Well count me on your side b/c I had more than my share of dropped vehicles and I honestly got tired of it. It literally made me miss the relatively 'cushy' stock ride.

Until I can get my hands on some coils I'm not dropping the car. I don't wanna trade up comfort in the name of looks.

no its not. LOL

i only want better handling and if a lower COG is going to help that, then that is what i would do, but to lower the car for pure aesthetics in my opinion is dumb.

my .02

B
Agreed. But hey, that was me in my early twenties lol (I don't miss the days)
Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by tunafish51
HAHA I've gone black with stocks on my gray lustre. And i'd go black with stock rims on a gold max. I just wouldnt mess with those particular ones on there black.

they look great stock with drop
Grey luster/black is another combination that I favor lol. For stock rims, Nissan does pretty well w/ theirs.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM

But hey, that was me in my early twenties lol (I don't miss the days)
Age. It has to be the common denominator. While there are always exceptions (Hi, Ghost), I'm thinking older bones want to feel the road, they don't want to get felt up by the road. Big difference.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Age. It has to be the common denominator. While there are always exceptions (Hi, Ghost), I'm thinking older bones want to feel the road, they don't want to get felt up by the road. Big difference.
I'm with you Roch, although his does seem to sit higher in the front than mine does.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM

True indeed, and like you I've never seen anything particularly wrong with a stock height Max. It seems, I don't know...normal to me
Old 03-22-2010, 05:07 PM

meh..im on stock suspension for about a yr now, as much as i love the ride, the car looks like a$$. not to mention the car handles like crap..

Quick Reply: Painting rims black!!!!!!!!!! :)