5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

will these headers fit an 03

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:16 AM

will these headers fit an 03

ok so maybe instead of doing my catback right now i will just anti up for the headers if these will fit. i was over on another nissan site and they stated that these headers would fit the 5.5 gen. i looked but couldnt find any other info on them if they would. from what they say they are v1 obx and all you need to do is block the egr ports and no o2 mods. Has anyone done this and is it possible.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories
http://www.nycnissans.com/showthread...ight=3+exhaust
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM

Just wait and get the right ones, that's like putting 2000 headlights on your 2003, it works but it's gay.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM

i get what your saying but this is my thing. Cash is real tight. i can convince the wife for the birthday to spend 190. to convince her it will be 350 plus is like making a horse fly. thats the only reason im curious on if they will fit is that they are cheap. would there be any mods needed to get thses to fit the 03 5.5?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Will fit but the V2 are equla lenght and Im sure you dont care but the sound from the V2 is killer esp on a 3.5L. I have them on my 4th gen and they sound amazing even at low speed drive offs!!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM

They'll work, considering the 3.5 and 3.0 have the same heads. BUT, you should just keep saving and get a set of OBX or Cattmans. Well worth the extra money. And Brian will definitely back up his product if you go the Cattman route.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:33 PM

i say go for it...but do not use those gaskets they come with...get oem ones
Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 PM

You'll more than likely need to trim down your motor mounts.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Turbo'd Saab

If cash is that tight, you shouldn't be modding a car
Old 03-25-2010, 09:38 PM

those arent even obx v1 headers. The y-pipe isnt right for the v1's. shorty headers like those are pretty much meaningless for our car. if you want to do this for power, this is NOT the route to take
Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 PM

I just noticed on the first set of headers that the OP posted that the O2 sensor bung is on the inside of the y-pipe where it meets the front header. I wonder how they planned that one to work out...
Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
They'll work, considering the 3.5 and 3.0 have the same heads.

3.5 heads =/ 3.0 heads.

Put 3.5 spark plugs in a 3.0, start the motor, sit back and watch the show.

I know what you meant though.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 AM

I would agree with others, save for a better one. If you get this and end up no gain, it will be a waste of money and your wife will be even more **** off.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM

I have to agree with the others. From experience, if you don't have the cash to buy a decent product, settling is only going to give you a headache in the long run.

You will ALWAYS get what you pay for. If you think you are going to spend half the money and get the same product i'm sorry to say you are wrong. I never modded with headers but when I bought my first y-pipe I did the same thing, went cheap. Fitment was awful, It took forever to install, I had to literally bend the rest of the exhaust to get the rear from banging. Then not even 2 years later it rusted out.

The second y-pipe I bought was stainless steel and cost a bit more then my original. Fitment was perfect, no bending (got new cat back as well) it even sounded better.

Moral of the story, tell your wife what you want and explain to her the cost. Tell her that what would be the best gift would be to put what you have towards the future investment of a better product. Save up a little longer and make a purchase that is much more worth it. Learn from others mistakes.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by essential1

3.5 heads =/ 3.0 heads.

Put 3.5 spark plugs in a 3.0, start the motor, sit back and watch the show.

I know what you meant though.
Okay, well the exhaust ports are the same is what I meant to say.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
If cash is that tight, you shouldn't be modding a car
This.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 AM

yea i know what you guys mean. you pay for a better product. ill probably sit and either what for someone to get rid of the obx headers. Paying 700 from cattman wont happen. i know the fitment is pnp but 700 wont fly. i can wait for the obx, v3 right? The other thing like someone said the shortys sacrifice top end.. but i drive mostly street never strip. so having something that is real good down low is my goal.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 AM

Get them! The manifolds will fit but you might need to have some fabrication done to the Ypipe to jogle it around the rear section of the Xmember and align with the catback! If spending money is an issue I think this is your ticket! The Cattman/OBX are medium length primaries so the power/torque is most noticeable at midrange rpm, but the low side and high side are still strong as hell and give really good gains compared to stock exhaust manifolds...Long headers make good lowend torque and make good highend power. This headers are even shorter and are what I call "SHORTY/ BLOCK HUGGERS" you will gain over stock manifolds, probably 10-14 whp...maybe you better get these headers and a SAFC!!! Or just modify on the cheap...air intake drop in filter, hi flow cat/test pipe, Oem modified catback( replaced all the smashed sections with round pipe), Ypipe, intake spacers!!!! That might add up to $500-$700 with used parts....Or just leave it alone that's for free!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:28 AM

Cmax,
i have the cold air intake, resonator delete, test pipe, flowmaster muffler and lots of suspension upgrades. I was actually thinking about the intermediate (B) pipe. I can get it done cheaper than headers. I can get a 2.5 inch for 150-175 done. No crush bends. My only wonder was will just the B pipe in a 2.5 or 3" give any gains with out headers. I know the stock manifolds are the big restrictor with the cats on them. I figure get the b pipe cause i can swing that, and then when i get the extra cash go for the headers. Is there any thought on if a better b pipe alone will give any power gains..?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 AM

seriously, either save up for complete or legitimate parts or dont do anything. DONT get crap ebay headers that will provide very minimal gains over stock, and likely crack from thin metal tubes. DONT get just a b-pipe done. Either get the whole exhaust done or dont do any part of it. You might see minimal gains with a 2.5" or 3" b-pipe, but they probably wont even be as good as the awful gains from the ebay headers. From a $/hp standpoint, either get legitimate equipment or dont do anything. you will make worse $/hp with the ebay headers or b-pipe than something like obx headers off ebay. Just dont cheap out on your car. Save up or spend nothing, honestly its worth it in the long run
Old 03-27-2010, 03:15 AM

if you read the above post i said i would prob hold off on the headers til i can afford the correct ones but i have the cash for a custom b pipe. I already called a shop and they said 150-175 out the door for the b pipe. then later once i have saved the cash for obxs (wont spend 700 on cattman) i can get them and have a full exhaust. all the other stuff listed is stuff that is currently on the max
Old 03-27-2010, 07:46 PM

what im saying is save on the custom b-pipe and do nothing until you can afford a good, made for the maxima exhaust. I dont know where youre from but getting a stainless exhaust intead of the aluminized pipe that most exhaust shops are going to give you is necessary for some people and strongly recommended for everyone else
Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM

i get what your saying. i live in mass so i get salt. i know what your saying on st steel vs alum. i figure i will have the max for some yrs to come but just dont want to spend top dollar on it. I get to the point were when i want something i want it yesterday
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Springfield???? I really wanna see someone buy those Ebay headers!!! You really can't lose buying them! They'so so inexpensive, IMO it's worth trying!!!! You/We won't know until someone trys them...If I had a 3rd Maxima, an extra 5th/5.5th gen, I would just for the hell of it, install them to see what the gains are....They could be the next best thing since Cattman Headers!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:43 AM

people have tried them, or at least the very similar stillen and other shorty headers. the consensus was save up until you can afford real headers
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM

first off, this whole quality talk is subjective and based off a single person's thought n maybe one human experience, nobody still cant prove the to be so much less a quality that it breaks, my 4th gen is now going on 6yrs with some SS autochrome type headers with not one single problem... EVER.... anyways, to the different headers

NOT OBX HEADERS

This whill give gains over stock but non have really tried and prove em to have a ball park figure over stock, plus the theory of shorty headers on a 3.5 according to everybody doesnt make optimal power to even go with them

OBX V2 (BUT THE VERSION 2 FOR THE 3.0)

I'd say at least start here they offer the same performance output as cattman and the V2 OBX for the 3.5, they have an unequal length Y-pipe which most say alters the sound, fitment on these will be a major pain and make you want the cattman's... no modification is needed with crossmember or motor mounts

OBX v3

Same as the v2 but according to OBX they made improvements... anyways i dont believe you can get these right now but just like the v2's you will need to shave motor mounts and probebly your crossmember though there are very few that got away with no modifications, fitment is still a bish and you need to relocate the o2 bung in the rear header, same performance output with equal length Y

CATTMAN HEADERS (does not come with ceramic coated collectors)

because of its 3 peice design this is the easiest headers to install most expensive one however... if you want a swear free install then these are the ones to get... (no swearing is not guranteed as all header job will make you sin to hell lol... same performance output with equal length y

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 03-29-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Proof read your crap b4 you try to lead someone please! OBX V2 does require mods to the Xmember and rear motor mounts...Cattman headers are T304 Stainless and come with no ceramic coating at all...Some ppl choose to upgrade to ceramic coatings like myself, but I did all three pieces!!! As far as "according to everyone" they don't really know!!! Hell Theory wise it should out flow the stock manifolds all day....According to these same folks, on this Org, Pacesetter headers didn't make any real power on the 3rd Gen or fit right and there have been a few that made liars out of "THEM"...At one point in time OBX was unheard of, untested and untrusted! I still think you oughta get those ebay headers and don't look back! It's absolutely a big bargain that you can't pass up! The quality looks about the same as OBX so it'll last awhile but you really didn't have to fork over a fortune either!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 PM

To Grand Hustle and Cmax...Thanks for the info on all those headers. I have also been reading all the posts on obx, cattman and such to see what needs to be done (O2's, shaving, cutting, ect). Like Cmax said they are a good bargain. Will they fit right up.. ummm gonna guess not without work for that cheap, but then again i save some dough. I figure those will give some power to the wheels just by deleting the cats. As much as cattman and obx {shrug}/
Would i love to have 250-260-270 to the wheels... hells yea. Do i wanna pay what it would take to get there.. hells no. Like Irish i have my main project car in the garage that will get the top dollar parts.
Not now but i think when i get that Bday money i may try the ebay headers unless i can find the obxs for a deal. ll post a review but i wont be getting anything till July anyway. Already told my wife my intermediate pipe has a hole again in it (which it doesn't) in the same place last year. The first time I went to the fathers shop and fabbed in some tubbing to quiet it down. So this time i put the bug in hear ear so i can get a custom 2.5 or 3" exhaust and then for bday get the headers

Last edited by jeff5347; 03-29-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Proof read your crap b4 you try to lead someone please! OBX V2 does require mods to the Xmember and rear motor mounts...Cattman headers are T304 Stainless and come with no ceramic coating at all...Some ppl choose to upgrade to ceramic coatings like myself, but I did all three pieces!!! As far as "according to everyone" they don't really know!!! Hell Theory wise it should out flow the stock manifolds all day....According to these same folks, on this Org, Pacesetter headers didn't make any real power on the 3rd Gen or fit right and there have been a few that made liars out of "THEM"...At one point in time OBX was unheard of, untested and untrusted! I still think you oughta get those ebay headers and don't look back! It's absolutely a big bargain that you can't pass up! The quality looks about the same as OBX so it'll last awhile but you really didn't have to fork over a fortune either!
O.k before you come at me wrong and tell me to proof read, why dont you read what i said again before you start gettn an attitude with what i wrote, i never even say what material any of the headers was made of so i dont know where you are going, i didnt know that based on the material the headers will or will not fit... i didnt even know that those headers were yours nor do i care quite frankly i also dont care if you ceramic coated your whole headers or your whole car, i did say they never came like that... im not tryna be a salesman on any of ther headers im just sharing knowledge to the OP who is looking for info... i also said modification was needed on the OBX so please read what i said before you start gettn ansy.... i would be banned if i was to type what reall came to mind, so lets just be grown and lets not have another header thread go south... thank you
Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 PM

why for some reason i forgot about these lol....
Old 03-29-2010, 02:57 PM

lol, and where do you find those for sale these days???

Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM

find a time machine to 2005

Originally Posted by Gemner

Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM

for sure. your best bet is to be in the classifieds section 24/7 so that the one time every 8 months that a set goes up for sale youre first in line. I dont understand why there arent more of these sets floating around out there. I guess they werent very popular for the time they were available. I feel like there are more obx sets out there than hotshots. I can only think of yourself and steven88 that had these and hes long since moved on
Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM

jaypee99 and vqmonster also have these... some bishes lol
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
O.k before you come at me wrong and tell me to proof read, why dont you read what i said again before you start gettn an attitude with what i wrote, i never even say what material any of the headers was made of so i dont know where you are going, i didnt know that based on the material the headers will or will not fit... i didnt even know that those headers were yours nor do i care quite frankly i also dont care if you ceramic coated your whole headers or your whole car, i did say they never came like that... im not tryna be a salesman on any of ther headers im just sharing knowledge to the OP who is looking for info... i also said modification was needed on the OBX so please read what i said before you start gettn ansy.... i would be banned if i was to type what reall came to mind, so lets just be grown and lets not have another header thread go south... thank you
Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
first off, this whole quality talk is subjective and based off a single person's thought n maybe one human experience, nobody still cant prove the to be so much less a quality that it breaks, my 4th gen is now going on 6yrs with some SS autochrome type headers with not one single problem... EVER.... anyways, to the different headers

NOT OBX HEADERS

This whill give gains over stock but non have really tried and prove em to have a ball park figure over stock, plus the theory of shorty headers on a 3.5 according to everybody doesnt make optimal power to even go with them

OBX V2 (BUT THE VERSION 2 FOR THE 3.0)

I'd say at least start here they offer the same performance output as cattman and the V2 OBX for the 3.5, they have an unequal length Y-pipe which most say alters the sound, fitment on these will be a major pain and make you want the cattman's... in which no modification is needed with crossmember or motor mounts during installation!

OBX v3

Same as the v2 but according to OBX they made improvements... anyways i dont believe you can get these right now but just like the v2's you will need to shave motor mounts and probebly your crossmember though there are very few that got away with no modifications, fitment is still a bish and you need to relocate the o2 bung in the rear header, same performance output with equal length Y

CATTMAN HEADERS (does not come with ceramic coated collectors)

because of its 3 peice design this is the easiest headers to install most expensive one however... if you want a swear free install then these are the ones to get... (no swearing is not guranteed as all header job will make you sin to hell lol... same performance output with equal length y

Originally Posted by jeff5347
To Grand Hustle and Cmax...Thanks for the info on all those headers. I have also been reading all the posts on obx, cattman and such to see what needs to be done (O2's, shaving, cutting, ect). Like Cmax said they are a good bargain. Will they fit right up.. ummm gonna guess not without work for that cheap, but then again i save some dough. I figure those will give some power to the wheels just by deleting the cats. As much as cattman and obx {shrug}/
Would i love to have 250-260-270 to the wheels... hells yea. Do i wanna pay what it would take to get there.. hells no. Like Irish i have my main project car in the garage that will get the top dollar parts.
Not now but i think when i get that Bday money i may try the ebay headers unless i can find the obxs for a deal. ll post a review but i wont be getting anything till July anyway. Already told my wife my intermediate pipe has a hole again in it (which it doesn't) in the same place last year. The first time I went to the fathers shop and fabbed in some tubbing to quiet it down. So this time i put the bug in hear ear so i can get a custom 2.5 or 3" exhaust and then for bday get the headers
Sorry GH17, is stumbled on your grammar usage and I apologize, but you did state that Cattman headers don't come with ceramic coated collectors and they don't come with ceramic coated anything...And no those aren't mine...but my whole point is at one point in time OBX were unknown to the Maxima community as these are....You and the rest of the OBX tribe shopped for a less expensive header assembly with fitment issues but equivalent in a performance aspect as Cattman headers in a non-scientific approach! I again would purchase these if I had an extra 5th/5.5th Gen just out of curiosity and trying to see what kinda power can be made with them...Again the price is awesomely inexpensive and I wouldn't pass up this if I was that bargain shopping Orger! I misunderstood your writing as usual but eventually I guess I'll get use to your speech/writing pattern and I'm man enough to apologize....sorry again, I didn't mean to step on them big nuts dude!

This is my Cattman header assembly:

Last edited by CMax03; 03-30-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:55 PM

iirc steven88 had cattman...us hs owners are few and far between

I can only think of yourself and steven88 that had these and hes long since moved on
Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
iirc steven88 had cattman...us hs owners are few and far between
Don't forget about me. Been running them since early 04.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
Don't forget about me. Been running them since early 04.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:19 PM

Old 03-30-2010, 02:29 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Quick Reply: will these headers fit an 03