5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I am putting this on my car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 PM

I am putting this on my car...

The other day, one of my friends was putting the stock exhaust back on his 350z.

We decided to start it up with an open y-pipe, just to hear what it sounded like, and I noticed that it sounded EXACTLY like my Maxima did with an open y (I have the equal length OBX headers).

It wasn't until the mid pipe was bolted on that it got that 350z/g35c sound.

After the muffler was bolted on, the sound tone did not change, it just got quieter.

This tells me that the majority of the 350z's tone comes from the resonator on the mid pipe.

So...I got a 350z mid pipe for $10.

I plan on cutting the resonator off of the long pipe on the left side of the pic and bolting it on my test pipe (the flange looks the same). I may have to weld a straight pipe in after the flange and re-weld it to the resonator, it all depends on how everything fits. (The flange on the right is where it will bolt onto my test pipe)

I will make a vid and take pics. I will do this as soon as it stops raining.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Good work, detective.

Im really interested to find out how this ends up sounding.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM

ahhh! this has been wayy overdue, soo many people want the sound of the Z idk how many threads ive seen here asking how to obtain such sexy tone lol cant wait for the results!
Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM

FWIW, Here's a vid of my car with just the resonated test pipe (no catback).

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=108828032467734

and it sounds really similar to this Z in this video at 19 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM-xU_twAbc
Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM

In for results. But I am highly dubious.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 PM

Watching.

I think pursuit of the 350z note is kind of pointless. IMO, our cars have the potential to have their own nice exhaust sound.

Personally, I think the crotch rocket sound we get from equal-length Y + aftermarket catback sounds awesome at cruising speeds and WOT.

Still interested to see if you get the results you want.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 03-28-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Subscribed.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 PM

I don't think the 350z/g35 fits our cars. By all means it sounds beautiful, just not on a max imo. Doesn't match the body..
Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM

Also, I tried this off my buddys g35. Bolted straight up but had an exhaust leak (obviously). It was a random type of thing. It sounded similar to before with a bit less rasp. I have un-equal y pipe though.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
Also, I tried this off my buddys g35. Bolted straight up but had an exhaust leak (obviously). It was a random type of thing. It sounded similar to before with a bit less rasp. I have un-equal y pipe though.
Yeah, I've heard the un-equal length y can give the Maxima a deeper tone where the equal length gives more of a high pitched tone. (I have the OBX v2's which are equal)

Ill give it a try and post back.

For $10, it is worth a try lol
Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM

i'll take the way my car sounds over a z. the z sounds good but a max with headers and a cattman c/b sounds awesome
Old 03-28-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
i'll take the way my car sounds over a z. the z sounds good but a max with headers and a cattman c/b sounds awesome
Wanna sell me your Cattman when you finally get rid of the Max?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 PM

thats gonna be one expensive muffler since the entire car goes with it!

im keepn the car for now, that is until i get a fawking job!

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Wanna sell me your Cattman when you finally get rid of the Max?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
Yeah, I've heard the un-equal length y can give the Maxima a deeper tone where the equal length gives more of a high pitched tone.
That's exactly opinion I took away from a similar conversation a few months ago. People were commenting on the tone in a video clip of a Cattman catback, and I was saying mine sounded deeper, with less rattle. Eventually, someone pointed out that the uneven Cattman y-pipe was the reason.

If you can get a deeper tone with this resonator, more power to you. The rice-rocket tone is not at all appealing, IMO.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 AM

thats gonna be one expensive muffler since the entire car goes with it!

im keepn the car for now, that is until i get a fawking job!
You won't trade rear sections with me?

I just want that rear section. Not the whole exhaust. But if you're planning on keeping the car as-is, I understand.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
You won't trade rear sections with me?

I just want that rear section. Not the whole exhaust. But if you're planning on keeping the car as-is, I understand.
That works out good, as I just want the b-pipe lol.

BTW, it is still raining here, but I did manage to cut the resonator off of the big pipe. Waiting for the weather to break so I can throw it on...
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM

Great detective work but I'm probably going to get shot for this comment. I dont care for how the 350z sounds. I always thought it sounded like a moaning old man. Though, I have noticed that our cars do sound a little bit like Z cars around 3k rpms but maybe im crazy lol
Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM

I've always wanted a more FX35 type sound. That gutteral, almost gargling sound. zomgsosexy.

Stock FX35 Exhaust

Last edited by ZGadson; 03-29-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM

maximas sounds more aggresive than a 350 does IMO you add headers and nice exhaust setup and no 350 will compare IMO
Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's exactly opinion I took away from a similar conversation a few months ago. People were commenting on the tone in a video clip of a Cattman catback, and I was saying mine sounded deeper, with less rattle. Eventually, someone pointed out that the uneven Cattman y-pipe was the reason.

If you can get a deeper tone with this resonator, more power to you. The rice-rocket tone is not at all appealing, IMO.
The sound difference is huge to say the least... Here are some examples.

3" catback with equal length Y-pipe WOT:

3" catback with unequal length Y-pipe WOT:

Regular driving with equal length Y-pipe:

Regular driving with unequal length Y-pipe:
Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 PM

I think equal length headers sound so much better.

The unequal length headers give it a sort of 4th gen sound.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM

I think equal length headers sound so much better.

The unequal length headers give it a sort of 4th gen sound.
Yeah it's normally called a "pontiac" sound. It sounds just like one of the local 4th gens But hey... it's 3" vs 2.5", we'll see what happens.

And the headers are the same in both, you have misread or mistyped. In both examples, they are equal length Cattman headers. The difference is in the Y-pipe.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM

^^^
Sparks! You were that someone. Sorry, champ, I couldn't remember the details. And here you are with audio and video, no less. Love the sound of that 4th video.

Well, there you have it, then.

I'm glad you don't live near me, because I'm sure you'd be a bad influence on me modding my car way more than I have already. Or a good influence, depending on your POV.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:02 PM

great sound on the equal length y-pipe
Old 03-29-2010, 07:07 PM

I think our VQs sound equally awesome with both equal and unequal length y-pipes.

sparks, good looking out with the videos.

The low-end makes me tempted to buy an unequal length Y, but I love the top-end sound of the equal length.

The un-equal length also makes our car sound more like a Subbie, IMO.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Yeah I was referring to the y-pipe when I say unequal or equal.

I can't wait to test this thing out. If I like the sound, I will buy an ebay catback and ditch the fart can and just run this resonator.

Edit:

Sparks, for your 3" y-pipe, did you cut the flanges off the original y and weld them on the 3" tubing or did you just cut and weld the 3" y right to the headers?

I would think the ladder would be better just in case the flanges on the headers themselves are still 2.5", no?

Last edited by Unklejoe; 03-29-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

lets get some pics of the equal y-pipe & unequal y-pipe, or a shot under the car im curious thats all pics work for me, otherwise im stuck imagining lol sounds good overall i like both
Old 04-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Update:

I had to have my dad weld in a piece of straight pipe in place of the bend that was there. It would not fit under the crevice under the body of the car with the bend in place.

I plan on running it just like that. It is just the right length so the little piece of pipe that comes out of the resonator just rests on the little bar that is below the exhaust pipe. I will weld a hangar on at a later point, if I like the sound.

I will be putting this on as soon as I have some free time on my hands...

Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Well I put it on... and it sucks.

It is WAY louder than it was on my friend's Z, probably because his Z still had cats and stock manifolds.

I made some videos, but the quality is so bad that you shouldn't even waste your time, but for those who are interested:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=115056961844841&saved#!/video/video.php?v=115056408511563

and revving

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=115056961844841&saved#!/video/video.php?v=115056961844841

I plan on buying an eBay cat-back and cutting off the turbo cannon muffler and possible welding the resonator in its place. If that still sounds like crap, I will buy a real muffler.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Well I put it on... and it sucks.

It is WAY louder than it was on my friend's Z, probably because his Z still had cats and stock manifolds.

I made some videos, but the quality is so bad that you shouldn't even waste your time, but for those who are interested:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=115056961844841&saved#!/video/video.php?v=115056408511563

and revving

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=115056961844841&saved#!/video/video.php?v=115056961844841

I plan on buying an eBay cat-back and cutting off the turbo cannon muffler and possible welding the resonator in its place. If that still sounds like crap, I will buy a real muffler.
Hmmm...I bet if you ran another resonator in line with that in the b-pipe, along with a decent muffler you could actually get some pretty good sound out of that.

Good work, detective. I don't think you should give up all hope on the project just yet. I think you should get a video that's not cell-phone quality, though. The Z tone is definitely there.

perkman had just a straight-piped b-pipe with an HKS rear section a while back that sounded downright awesome before he got his headers. I'd like to hear that coupled with a Z res...

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 04-06-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 AM

Sparks, for your 3" y-pipe, did you cut the flanges off the original y and weld them on the 3" tubing or did you just cut and weld the 3" y right to the headers?

I would think the ladder would be better just in case the flanges on the headers themselves are still 2.5", no?
I certainly wasn't stupid enough to cut up the cattman Y-pipe when I could just fab up a new Y-pipe for the 3". It still uses 2.25" primaries on the Y-pipe like the cattman does as those are not a restriction.

3" unequal length made by RJ's in raleigh

2.5" equal length cattman
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Have you been to the dyno to compare the two y-pipes? I'm sure there is a good gain with the 3".

And I have not lost all hope! lol, I will keep this posted on what I decide to do next, but I have to do something soon because this makes me want to kill myself lol
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Have you been to the dyno to compare the two y-pipes? I'm sure there is a good gain with the 3".

And I have not lost all hope! lol, I will keep this posted on what I decide to do next, but I have to do something soon because this makes me want to kill myself lol
Going to do track comparisons... I see no reason to spend a wad of my hard earned cash to dyno the 2 against each other when I'd rather just do what I have always done... go to the track. My car has never been on a dyno other than 1 time a couple of years ago when it was stock.

I could have told you just using the same resonator wouldn't be even remotely close to what you need to get the same sound.

You must consider that their stock sound is derived mainly from the manifolds and Y-pipe design as that is where ALL of the sound characteristics are affected the most during the mergers and considering pulse spacing. The resonator is not some magical instrument of sound making, it just reduces nasty sounds... same goes for a muffler.

I must say, though, that this forum's endless quest for the "g35 sound" is quite entertaining. Moreso because it is doomed for failure than anything else. You would have to recreate the exact dimensions of their headers/Y-pipe to get an identical sound... and that is just not happening. But before I go and discourage you, I must wish you good luck, so that you will continue your quest and my entertainment.

Also, as a confirmation to this, go on their forums or youtube and find sound clips of G/Zs with different header/Ypipe combinations, including X-pipe and H-pipe true duals. You will find that they can have a very different tone, even with the same catback, because of different headers and mergers. Our cars just have so few options it's hard to make a similar comparison.

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-06-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:31 AM

^^when you going back to the track?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 AM

I only asked about the dyno because a back to back dyno will be far more conclusive than a back to back track run. Considering the difference in power is probably at max 10hp, that easily falls under the margin of human error during a run at the strip.

Not that dyno numbers matter in the real world anyway, it just goes further when the results of a mod can be quantified.

As far as my "quest" for the g35c sound, I have nothing better to do with the little free time that I have, and this only cost me around $15 total, so I figured it was worth a try.

I might get that eBay catback and weld a new muffler in place of the obnoxious looking one. For $130 shipped, it can not be beat.

I will try to keep you entertained lol

If you see good enough gains, I may have to cut up my OBX header's collector and weld a three incher in its place. I don't see my flex pipe lasting much longer anyway.

Anyone wanna buy a custom 350z resonator?

Last edited by Unklejoe; 04-06-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM

^^when you going back to the track?
I went on Friday. Was a bad night for me with no way around the water box and lots of lifting off the throttle because of bad traction and wheel hop with a damp track and wet tires... I still managed to pull a 13.6@105 with a 2.3 '60, which is pretty good considering it was warm and I probably lost a lot of time spinning both during the '60 foot and on my 2nd gear shift.

My car is very quiet with this exhaust and Y-pipe, you can barely hear it in this video. What you do hear sounds really weird. Haha! You can hear me spinning hard and wheel hopping into 2nd then even chirping the tires into 3rd. This is vs a 2000ish Mustang GT

Aaron also caught the end of one against a newer gto (guessing 05-06 b/c it had the stock hood scoops). While we were staging, the announcer had announced "nissan ... maxima vs a GTO I bet that GTO is gonna get him"

I wasn't the only one running slow... that 05-06 GTO was an auto and should have been good for a 12.8-13.2@105-108, but he was running a 104 trap to my 105 and was slower down the track even with a better '60 foot. He beat me by .2 on the '60 foot (I did a 2.3), but I treed him by .10 and beat him by .10 in ET and trapped 1mph faster.

Guess I'm already back to waiting on a cold night... Ugh the heat down here!

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-06-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM

what is your highest trap?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:24 AM

what is your highest trap?
For N/A, 107.5 in this run on street tires. This was last year with a 500ish DA. 57 degrees out.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

those vids are sick sparks
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 PM

some healthy traps, i demand 12s from you this year! lol

Quick Reply: I am putting this on my car...