5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Outer CV boots are torn on both wheels, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Outer CV boots are torn on both wheels, need advice...

2k Maxima w/ 65k miles.

Should I have just the boots replaced or go ahead and change the axles too? Is it about the same amount of labor on each job?

If I do the axles, what would be the entire parts list? I can take everything to a mechanic friend.

I have a limited budget, so I need to figure out what is the most cost effective solution.

Thank you, T
Old 04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

For long-term practical purposes if you have to change the CV boots you might as well change out the axles because the labor will be the same for both. The axle replacement will be of course costlier due to the axle costs, but a more effective long-term solution as well.

I hear the raxles brand of axles are pretty good, do a search as many people have provided feedback.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:16 PM

GPS brand from Advanced Auto has been getting OK reviews. $70.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:17 PM

Lifetime warranty, too.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM

Ok so I need: inner and outer cv boots, axles and what else?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 PM

You just need axles.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by auveeb
You just need axles.
So when you buy the axles, they come with the boots?
Are there any other seals that need to be replaced?

Thanks, T
Old 04-10-2010, 09:11 AM

With 65K on the original CVs you have a lot of life in it. Mine tore at 100K and just replaced the outer boots (inner boots rarely move to result in a tear) and now I havce 180K.

OEM ones are $600. The ones you buy from shops are remanufactured for $60.. I would just replace the boots and reuse it. It has a lot of useful life left in it to just thro it away!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Toolie

replacing the boots is a major dirty greasy job. like some of the others said, call Marty at raxles and get a quote for both axles. his prices are excellent and the parts are guaranteed. and the cores have prepaid shipping, so just stick your old axles in the box and send them back.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 PM

If both of your boots are torn, I'm willing to bet at least one of them has been that way for a long time. The boots keep grease in and water out and keep the CV from wearing out. Once a boot is torn, if you don't replace it and re-pack the joint (which is a messy job) pretty quickly, you risk damaging the joint.

Clicking=>damage. In other words, if the joint is clicking, it needs to be replaced, but if it's not clicking, that doesn't mean that it's automatically fine.

To summarize, I would replace the axles. I had a torn boot for <2k miles and replaced the axle anyway. As mandyfig said above, if you get them from Advance, they have a lifetime warranty, and they're not expensive. You could do the whole job yourself (if you're confident/competent) well under $200, closer to 150. That's 2 axles and probably about 3 quarts of gear oil or transmission fluid. Since you have pretty low mileage, you can probably get away without replacing the output shaft seals, but they're like $8 apiece if you decide you want to.

If you just replace the boots, you risk having to replace the axles anyway and wasting money. Just doing axles in the first place is better if reliability is your goal, and probably the wallet-smart way to go too if you're planning on keeping your car for long.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by VQ30MPG
If both of your boots are torn, I'm willing to bet at least one of them has been that way for a long time. The boots keep grease in and water out and keep the CV from wearing out. Once a boot is torn, if you don't replace it and re-pack the joint (which is a messy job) pretty quickly, you risk damaging the joint.

Clicking=>damage. In other words, if the joint is clicking, it needs to be replaced, but if it's not clicking, that doesn't mean that it's automatically fine.

To summarize, I would replace the axles. I had a torn boot for <2k miles and replaced the axle anyway. As mandyfig said above, if you get them from Advance, they have a lifetime warranty, and they're not expensive. You could do the whole job yourself (if you're confident/competent) well under $200, closer to 150. That's 2 axles and probably about 3 quarts of gear oil or transmission fluid. Since you have pretty low mileage, you can probably get away without replacing the output shaft seals, but they're like $8 apiece if you decide you want to.

If you just replace the boots, you risk having to replace the axles anyway and wasting money. Just doing axles in the first place is better if reliability is your goal, and probably the wallet-smart way to go too if you're planning on keeping your car for long.
Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the advice.

T

Last edited by tfrost; 04-11-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 AM

just change you axles ....seein as how they are ripped im sure some dirt has already made its way in there and will shorten the life of your current axles...i replaced both of mine driver and passenger side...both sides were 70 each and it was better than doing boots cause the labor is about the same
Old 04-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
With 65K on the original CVs you have a lot of life in it. Mine tore at 100K and just replaced the outer boots (inner boots rarely move to result in a tear) and now I havce 180K.

OEM ones are $600. The ones you buy from shops are remanufactured for $60.. I would just replace the boots and reuse it. It has a lot of useful life left in it to just thro it away!!!
Right...unless the boots have been torn for some time allowing dirt and/or water to get in risking the life of the joint.

So one has to ask themselves....do the boots now which is pretty much the same labor as changing an axle and risk having to change the axles sooner, rather than later. Or, change out the axle and feel confident you won't have to do it again for a long time.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 AM

yeah well the 60 dollar option for a reman isnt true....mine were 70 each BRAND NEW not remaned.....and like he said would he want to change just the boots now and say in 6 months to a year have to cough up the same as he just did for a set of boots to redo the axles and waste money on boots and labor....i would just go with the axle replacement.....mine tore at about 140k and by 160 the axles on both sides were clicking so 20k worth of mileage isnt worth another 500-1000 if you ask me