5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Windows Up w/ Remote?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 AM

Windows Up w/ Remote?

OK, so I know the two front windows go down if you hold the unlock button on the remote (on 5th gens at least) but I'm sitting here in my office on the 4th floor of my building and just accidently put my windows down. Had to go all the way back down to the car to put them up. Pissed me off.

Has anyone ever come up with a way to make them roll up from the remote? They'll go up if you hold your key in the lock position in the door, so I would imagine there's a way to make them go up with the remote (and without the $150 module from KP Electronics.)

Any thoughts? I've searched and found nothing.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
OK, so I know the two front windows go down if you hold the unlock button on the remote (on 5th gens at least) but I'm sitting here in my office on the 4th floor of my building and just accidently put my windows down. Had to go all the way back down to the car to put them up. Pissed me off.

Has anyone ever come up with a way to make them roll up from the remote? They'll go up if you hold your key in the lock position in the door, so I would imagine there's a way to make them go up with the remote (and without the $150 module from KP Electronics.)

Any thoughts? I've searched and found nothing.
Its a great idea/thought. I doubt it though.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 AM

I remember reading about these here on the forum, not sure if anyone's ever used it that can comment...

http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/17
Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 AM

It's funny you write about this. I just had this conversation with my wife. I previously had an 06 350z and now have a 2010 Maxima and I still wonder why if they can make it go down with unlock, why not up with lock? Makes sense to me. I would love that feature.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM

OK, so I know the two front windows go down if you hold the unlock button on the remote (on 5th gens at least)......
I thought that was a feature that was skipped on the 5th generations (at least mine doesn't do it, but my '98 used to have it). Is that from the stock remote?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
...at least mine doesn't do it...
Mine do not go down with the remote either Wish it did though...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt
Mine do not go down with the remote either Wish it did though...
I guess Nissan only made available for the I35's of those years but not on the 5th gen Maximas...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This has been discussed before. I believe the 02-03 have this function but the 00-01 do not.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM

yup, i got it on my 03 max. it also pisses me off that they dont go up wit remote, that you have to do it wit a key
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by artemz28
yup, i got it on my 03 max. it also pisses me off that they dont go up wit remote, that you have to do it wit a key
Excuse me, but do what with a key? Are you saying that the windows will roll up if I lock the car manually with the key?

And yeah, my front windows roll down with the key fob. Sometimes they only roll down 4 inches and I have to do it twice to get them to roll down all the way. Sometimes they go all the way on the first try. Almost 8 years now, and I still can't figure out what the difference is.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

Stick your key in, and depending on the way you turn it (assuming they're not already up or down) they will go up or down, depending on the way/direction (CW/CCW) you turn the key.

00-01 skipped out on this 'feature'.

I know you can roll down from the remote from 95-99 and 02-03, but I'm not sure if the 4th gen has the key twist up/down option.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
And yeah, my front windows roll down with the key fob. Sometimes they only roll down 4 inches and I have to do it twice to get them to roll down all the way. Sometimes they go all the way on the first try. Almost 8 years now, and I still can't figure out what the difference is.
YES! ....This drives me nuts. I never know if they are going down 4" or all the way......WTF? Its really not that big of a deal because you just hit the button again, but it is really annoying.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
YES! ....This drives me nuts. I never know if they are going down 4" or all the way......WTF? Its really not that big of a deal because you just hit the button again, but it is really annoying.
Isn't that crazy? I'd buy a drink for anyone to have the answer to that mystery. (Of course, you'd have to come to Rochester, NY.)

Every time I use the remote to lower the windows, I have this pregnant pause waiting for them to stop at 4". When it stops, it's obviously annoying. And when it goes all the way, it's like, "Why did it work that time?"

As to the key manually working the windows, I can't wait for the day to end and try it out. I love learning something new about my car, particularly after all these years.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 PM

If i remember correctly, the 4" and all the way down difference is the length of the hold on the unlock button. I think the car manual says 3 seconds will drop them 4" and if you hold longer it will go all the way down until the button is released. Seems to work this way for me. Maybe its just coincidence?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 6THGEARMAX
If i remember correctly, the 4" and all the way down difference is the length of the hold on the unlock button. I think the car manual says 3 seconds will drop them 4" and if you hold longer it will go all the way down until the button is released. Seems to work this way for me. Maybe its just coincidence?
When I hold the button down, it sometimes stops at the 4", and sometimes it goes all the way. I thought it might be as you stated, but even if I squeeze really hard and hold it down, it will still stop at 4". Seems pretty random to me.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM

When I hold the button down, it sometimes stops at the 4", and sometimes it goes all the way. I thought it might be as you stated, but even if I squeeze really hard and hold it down, it will still stop at 4". Seems pretty random to me.
It's almost as if the car has a temper that day...sometimes it'll let you go all the way, but other times it doesn't wanna cooperate..baffles me also
Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 PM

This has been discussed before. I believe the 02-03 have this function but the 00-01 do not.
Is there a mod to possibly "fix" this?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by byrdman164
It's almost as if the car has a temper that day...sometimes it'll let you go all the way, but other times it doesn't wanna cooperate..baffles me also
It's almost like dating.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM

For me it depends on weather I have the doors locked or unlocked. If I long hold while the doors are locked then it only goes down 4". If I unlock the doors (all four) and then hold the unlock they go down all the way. The only deviation is if the door has already been unlocked sometimes it does the 4" sometimes it goes all the way.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM

It's almost like dating.
lol yes exactly!

Ahem..back on topic lol...I know if my car sits for a while (when the modules go into sleep mode) the windows will only go down a little, but if the car is "awake" they go down just fine. I've also noticed that if the car is "sleeping" that sometimes I can only press unlock once - that is, if I press it multiple times it won't unlock all doors, until after a few seconds, then it works fine. Almost like a yawn. Go figure
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM

I just tried the manual method, with the key in the lock... and the windows rolled up! That is so cool. I never knew it would do that. Then again, I don't think I ever actually put the key in the lock before.

Does it roll up all 4 windows, or just the front? (Lazy question, I know.)
Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Correct.. As did the 95-99..
Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Bad *** Newb

It depends on how many times you press the button. It also seems there's a certain speed/duration you have to hit. I can roll the windows down all the way by hitting it 3 times fast and holding the 3rd push (obviously). Does it work every time? No. Pushing it twice usually brings it down 4".

It's just finicky :shrugs:
Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 PM

I just tried the manual method, with the key in the lock... and the windows rolled up! That is so cool. I never knew it would do that. Then again, I don't think I ever actually put the key in the lock before.

Does it roll up all 4 windows, or just the front? (Lazy question, I know.)
lol...just the fronts, unfortunately. The rears aren't controlled by the same module.

Nice to learn something new after having the car for how long eh?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM

i was al excited when i read the first 2 posts this morning, unfortunitally when i ran outside and tried i was let down...my a4 did it
Old 04-13-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to get my windows down with my aftermarket alarm without a ton of work.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM

I just tried the manual method, with the key in the lock... and the windows rolled up! That is so cool. I never knew it would do that. Then again, I don't think I ever actually put the key in the lock before.....
Mine doesn't even do that!!!...... ... I want a 5.5th gen!!!...
Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 PM

I feel so jipped lol....i noticed my moms car does it (97 max), and assumed that they just didnt do it anymore...so your tellin me me the 02 and up do...grrrr
Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM

Wow. I didn't think that question would generate this many responses. haha.

Its funny though, I asked the dealer when I got my car why they don't go up with the remote and he said its a safety issue. I didn't think anything about it until yesterday when I remembered there's an auto-up feature anyway. Whats the difference if you do it from a remote or from inside the car? If your child's head is sticking out the window, it "should" stop and roll back down no matter what.

There is a way to do this. I'm sure of it. The only thing that could possibly hinder it is the remote itself. When you hold the unlock button the remote is constantly sending out a signal. The lock button (for putting the windows up) should theoretically be the same way.

There are two types of remote signals - those that are constant (transmits for as long as you're holding the button - similar to our remotes and the Homelink buttons) and there are single transmissions, meaning you can hold the button down, and only one signal gets sent for, say, a split second - like some TV remotes. Given that our key fobs send out continuous signals, I see no reason for it not to work this way if wired correctly.

All I need is a free weekend, some speaker wire, and electrical tape...

Last edited by ZGadson; 04-13-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM

waiting..........lol
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Wow. I didn't think that question would generate this many responses. haha.

Its funny though, I asked the dealer when I got my car why they don't go up with the remote and he said its a safety issue. I didn't think anything about it until yesterday when I remembered there's an auto-up feature anyway. Whats the difference if you do it from a remote or from inside the car? If your child's head is sticking out the window, it "should" stop and roll back down no matter what.

There is a way to do this. I'm sure of it. The only thing that could possibly hinder it is the remote itself. When you hold the unlock button the remote is constantly sending out a signal. The lock button (for putting the windows up) should theoretically be the same way.

There are two types of remote signals - those that are constant (transmits for as long as you're holding the button - similar to our remotes and the Homelink buttons) and there are single transmissions, meaning you can hold the button down, and only one signal gets sent for, say, a split second - like some TV remotes. Given that our key fobs send out continuous signals, I see no reason for it not to work this way if wired correctly.

All I need is a free weekend, some speaker wire, and electrical tape...
I would think it's possible if by sending a LOCK signal meant reversing the polarity to the window motors, it should generate the opposite effect - hence, it would roll the windows up instead of down. Guess I found something to play with too.

Come to think of it, the window's opening function is controlled by the smart entrance control unit. My guess is we'd need to find a way to trick it into reversing the signals from the SEC module when the lock signal is transmitted.

From the FSM:
Door Lock/Unlock and front power window down signal is supplied through smart entrance control unit terminal 33 to front power window main switch terminal 8 and to front power window switch RH terminal 11.

Now, thinking again..seeing as how you can insert the key in the door cylinder, turn to the lock position, and roll up the window..I wonder if it's easily possible to somehow use a jumper wire to simulate the "key in door" action by using the door lock actuator...like...if holding the lock button on the remote were to generate a continuous signal to the lock actuator, which is jumped to the LOCK position in the door cylinder...maybe? I don't know, just trying to throw some ideas out there...If any of that seemed confusing, well..it's late haha
Old 04-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Long story short, find a wire that generates a constant voltage when the LOCK button on the remote is pressed, jump that to the circuit for the door cylinder, and voila. I'm gonna have to try it tomorrow if I have time.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:14 PM

we are on a good lead here with post #32. i can vouch my 5.5 gen rolls them down..
but UP. thatd be a great thing if it worked!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 PM

sweet "free" mod if this gets figured out!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by byrdman164
Long story short, find a wire that generates a constant voltage when the LOCK button on the remote is pressed, jump that to the circuit for the door cylinder, and voila. I'm gonna have to try it tomorrow if I have time.
Dude. I think I love you.

Last edited by ZGadson; 04-14-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:39 AM

Dude. I think I love you.
Oh boy....here we go....

:
Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 AM

ya plz provide some pic how-tos, im jealous, i want to do this
Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 AM

Oh boy....here we go....

:
Queers can be gearheads, too.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Play with my balls

I use to offer this back in the day, but no one was interested in it so I stopped. It was a KPTechnologies module. I offered it when it was around 50.00 or so, but now sure what it's at now. I love mine and use it pretty much every single time I get out of my car with my windows down.

Some of the links in this thread are dead or changed cause it's an old thread.

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...ule-02-up.html
Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 AM

^ id love tht module!

Quick Reply: Windows Up w/ Remote?