5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Windows Up w/ Remote?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Klikzzz
^ id love tht module!
Go for it, man. Research KP Technologies and report back:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/
Old 04-14-2010, 05:13 PM

The whole point of my question was to avoid this exact KP Technologies module and save $50. The wiring is there already. We just have to figure out which wires to jump to the Smart Entrance Control unit under the steering wheel.

This should be a 100% free mod once we figure it out.

I have tomorrow off, so I plan to play around and hopefully figure this out.

Last edited by ZGadson; 04-14-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
The whole point of my question was to avoid this exact KP Technologies module and save $50. The wiring is there already. We just have to figure out which wires to jump to the Smart Entrance Control unit under the steering wheel.

This should be a 100% free mod once we figure it out.

I have tomorrow off, so I plan to play around and hopefully figure this out.
Yeah, I got tied up doing a few other things today and didnt have time to get into it. But hopefully tomorrow will be better. The main part of it would be to have a constant signal from the keyfob, closing the circuit for the key cylinder (so it imitates a key being turned to the lock position). Makes me wonder if the SEC unit only pulses the LOCK signal to the actuators, unlike the UNLOCK signal which is constant as long as the button is pressed. Hmmm...because all we need is that constant voltage from a LOCK signal, jumped to the key cylinder, and it works. Tomorrow, the door comes apart.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:25 PM

For those interested, please see page 4 of my cardomain, where I put up a page from the FSM (for reference)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3245762/4

look at the front door key cylinder switch. Its a simple switch, in which one direction provides a path to ground for one circuit, likewise for the other. Now if you look where it gets its signal from, its the master window switch! Pin 6, to be more exact. By grounding Pin 6 on the window switch, it will act as if the key is inserted and turning to LOCK. What I need to find is a constant ground signal that is only apparent when the LOCK signal is sent from the keyfob. Otherwise, this is looking extremely possible! Bear with me people....haha
Old 04-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Zgadson, have you come up with anything?

I played around with it for a little bit today, and havent really come up with much unfortunately. I was able to ground out pin 6 on the master window switch (orange wire, black trace) and when you dump that signal to ground, it imitates the key being turned to the lock position, and sequentially locks all the doors, then rolls up the windows. Great. But now the problem.

In order for this to work, we would need to find a wire that provides a constant ground signal, ONLY when the lock button is pressed. Which, from what I found today, cannot be found inside the drivers door. The actuator for the door lock only receives a pulsed signal, which wouldnt be any good for what we need. As for today, I dont know if youd call it a success or a fail. My theory about grounding out that wire worked perfectly. However, Im having a problem figuring out how to connect this with the LOCK signal from the remote. Also, I looked at the module from KP. It seems as if their module requires two pulses of the LOCK signal to operate the automatic rollup. Which makes me wonder, if it requires TWO pulses, does that indicate that there isnt a constant signal available? Im not about to give up on this just yet. I need to research the SEC module further to see if there is any kind of output from the LOCK signal from the remote. The real problem is that the window roll down feature is module controlled, between the SEC and the module in the master window switch. Which makes this extremely important to find a ground side circuit that remains constant as long as the LOCK button is pressed from the remote. A power circuit cannot be used, or the risk is there to burn out the modules, which is a big no no.

If anyone else has any input, please share your thoughts. Im having a thought block at this point, and I had to put the car back together to run some errands.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by byrdman164
Zgadson, have you come up with anything?

I played around with it for a little bit today, and havent really come up with much unfortunately. I was able to ground out pin 6 on the master window switch (orange wire, black trace) and when you dump that signal to ground, it imitates the key being turned to the lock position, and sequentially locks all the doors, then rolls up the windows. Great. But now the problem.

In order for this to work, we would need to find a wire that provides a constant ground signal, ONLY when the lock button is pressed. Which, from what I found today, cannot be found inside the drivers door. The actuator for the door lock only receives a pulsed signal, which wouldnt be any good for what we need. As for today, I dont know if youd call it a success or a fail. My theory about grounding out that wire worked perfectly. However, Im having a problem figuring out how to connect this with the LOCK signal from the remote. Also, I looked at the module from KP. It seems as if their module requires two pulses of the LOCK signal to operate the automatic rollup. Which makes me wonder, if it requires TWO pulses, does that indicate that there isnt a constant signal available? Im not about to give up on this just yet. I need to research the SEC module further to see if there is any kind of output from the LOCK signal from the remote. The real problem is that the window roll down feature is module controlled, between the SEC and the module in the master window switch. Which makes this extremely important to find a ground side circuit that remains constant as long as the LOCK button is pressed from the remote. A power circuit cannot be used, or the risk is there to burn out the modules, which is a big no no.

If anyone else has any input, please share your thoughts. Im having a thought block at this point, and I had to put the car back together to run some errands.
I don't think its a matter of pulses, but like you said, it is a matter of finding a viable place to ground that wire. I was looking through the window schematics and found that same orange/black wire, and I do have a voltometer, so I'll have to play with it a little more to find our ground.

This here is pretty much the only thing I found in the FSM - has that same orange/black wire you mentioned. It says it goes to the engine computer, but I bet there's a wire at the smart entrance unit under the dash, too. Would only make sense. I haven't had time to actually dig around in the car today, but tomorrow is a new day.

Last edited by ZGadson; 04-15-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 PM

That same orange/black wire, for our research purposes, is a 5V reference wire. When the key is inserted into the door cylinder, and turned to LOCK, it dumps that 5V straight to ground. The CPU then sees 0V, and locks the doors. If it continues to see 0V, it begins rolling up the windows until the key returns to neutral, or the windows roll up completely. I think we're on to something with this alternate ground solution, we just need to perfect it. It all comes down to finding that ground with the LOCK signal from the remote.

What I meant with the pulses was that the KP module senses two pulses of the door lock actuators, and then proceeds to roll up the windows. From what I'm understanding, that module "piggybacks" the system, detects the lock pulse twice, then effectively actuates the front windows.

I still think if we can mimic the key/locking position, and use maybe one or two wires, it'll be a great remedy for very little time and money.

The next chance I get I'm going to rip out the SEC so I can easily access it, and start checking wires for a constant ground applied with the LOCK signal.
Keep those fingers crossed haha
Old 04-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Are you meaning to say that with the KP module, you have to push the lock button twice and the windows roll up?

My Z06 (leased, so I can't mod it ) starts when you push the lock button 3 times on the remote. This what you mean by "pulses?"
Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Are you meaning to say that with the KP module, you have to push the lock button twice and the windows roll up?

My Z06 (leased, so I can't mod it ) starts when you push the lock button 3 times on the remote. This what you mean by "pulses?"
Exactly what I meant. Pressing the lock button once 'pulses' the actuators, pressing it again sends a second pulse.

From what I read on the KP website, it seems that two presses of the lock button (2 signal pulses) and the KP module initiates the window roll up.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/produc...n&model=Maxima
Old 04-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Exactly what I meant. Pressing the lock button once 'pulses' the actuators, pressing it again sends a second pulse.

From what I read on the KP website, it seems that two presses of the lock button (2 signal pulses) and the KP module initiates the window roll up.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/produc...n&model=Maxima
I think all the module does is exactly what we're trying to achieve - just in the form of a mudule that acts as the remote would act. Pushing the lock button twice tells the module to simulate a key in the lock position in the lock cylinder, which really is unnecessary once we figure out how to 'replace' the KP module with the remote basically.

(Sorry if I start not making sense at some point. Its Vodka o'clock here now.)
Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 PM

I think all the module does is exactly what we're trying to achieve - just in the form of a mudule that acts as the remote would act. Pushing the lock button twice tells the module to simulate a key in the lock position in the lock cylinder, which really is unnecessary once we figure out how to 'replace' the KP module with the remote basically.

(Sorry if I start not making sense at some point. Its Vodka o'clock here now.)
lol @ vodka o'clock

You're right, that's exactly what the module does. It's a friggin key simulator! haha...I'm still convinced it can be done with a simple (hopefully) rewire.

2. GREEN – DOOR LOCK SWITCH OUTPUT
a. Connect this wire to the output of the lock cylinder. This wire will read 5
volts until you turn the key in the lock cylinder to ‘lock.’ In the ‘lock’
position it will read ground. (taken from the KP website)

This is exactly what we need to accomplish, minus the module
Old 04-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Alright. Tomorrow, when the hangover wears off, its game time.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Excellent. Maybe you'll have better luck / more time than I did
Old 04-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Just because I like the thought and work being put to this, If you figure it out I'm sending 10 bucks through paypal.....shoot make it 13...lol...I Make a motion for us all to at least give something if they figure it out...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Stick your key in, and depending on the way you turn it (assuming they're not already up or down) they will go up or down, depending on the way/direction (CW/CCW) you turn the key.

00-01 skipped out on this 'feature'.

I know you can roll down from the remote from 95-99 and 02-03, but I'm not sure if the 4th gen has the key twist up/down option.
I just tryed it with my 98' Maxima and it doesn't work. Hope to have my 5.5 gen soon !
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM

that would be great if we can figure this out. i hate when i roll up my window and forget my passenger doesnt and when i get into work i see the window down gotta run back to hold the friggin key there not fun at all.

i was wondering because i have a viper 5900 alarm and remote start and if anyone has the wiring diagram for the 02 se that would be great. i did some research but cant find anything. or if anyone installed this alarm in their car thats even better if you can help me out
thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The next chance I get I'm going to rip out the SEC so I can easily access it, and start checking wires for a constant ground applied with the LOCK signal.
Keep those fingers crossed haha
You can easily reverse polarity with a simple automotive relay. Find either a constant ground or a constant +12V signal with the button pressed and you're good to go.

edit: Since I was on the thought of relays I figured why not a timed relay and even better why not this? DEI 528T
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6735879
Can be had on ebay for $14 shipped too.

Will that do the trick?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM

yup, on 03 max they dont go up wit remote, that you have to do it wit a key
Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Play with my balls

You guys are trying to figure out how to get a ground signal to stay constant when the doors are locked long enough for the windows to roll up, with or without multiple pulses. The whole point of the KP module is that it does just that......because there is no constant ground that last for a specified time frame that you will find in any of the wiring long enough for the windows to roll up. If you're trying to do that, you might as well get a pulse timer to pull that ground signal and hold it while sending it to the window motor. That's why this module was created, because they've looked into it already and just remade the pulse timer into a more functioning "Windows Rollup Module".

DEI makes these modules that control pulsing and holding constant ground as well, maybe those are cheaper to buy, but I'm not sure how far you will get with trying to rewire what is already there to achieve the end results you are looking for. I've tried this already a few years back with this and the sunroof. My only other option was to go with an aftermarket alarm system with the window control functions. Hence, why I just went with the module.

On a side note, I also used 2 DEI modules to remote start the car on 3 Lock pulses from the keyfob. It was a success and I might reinstall it again. (Removed it cause I thought I was selling the car)

Hope this helps save sometime for you, but would love to see anything you guys come up with that I haven't looked at yet.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM

A write up on how you did the remote start would be nice deckout lol...
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Reizy
You can easily reverse polarity with a simple automotive relay. Find either a constant ground or a constant +12V signal with the button pressed and you're good to go.
I was thinking this too, but you beat me to the punch. If the SEC module puts out a 12 volt signal while the key fob is pressed, use the 12 volts to energize a relay with normally open cocntacts and the relay contacts will provide the ground as long as the relay is energized, which is as long as the key fob is pressed.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 PM

Anyone have directions on doing the window up or down using an aftermarket alarm's aux outputs? I have a viper 5701, the aux outputs can be linked to things like arm/disarm and they can also be programmed into 30 second timed output.