5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 gen BOSE AUX input

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by LongoTE
Speaking of which how do you help loosen gorilla glue on top of krazy glue...or where can a get a new coin tray.
Local junk yard?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 PM

I love the write up!! has anyone installed the harness for the bottom iPhone for charging while still able to use the CD/CD Changer button to run in the sound?? I don't care about controlling the iPhone/iPod from the head unit, I usually just set up a playlist or Pandora. or has anyone wired in a USB to the same area as above and added a 'power' line to a USB female plug next to the ash tray? This seems more logical b/c then you can run ANY USB able unit, correct?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 00Lightsout
I love the write up!! has anyone installed the harness for the bottom iPhone for charging while still able to use the CD/CD Changer button to run in the sound?? I don't care about controlling the iPhone/iPod from the head unit, I usually just set up a playlist or Pandora. or has anyone wired in a USB to the same area as above and added a 'power' line to a USB female plug next to the ash tray? This seems more logical b/c then you can run ANY USB able unit, correct?
You can use everything with an aux port on it. No sound would go through the usb if you set up a female port, it would only be for charging.

i have thought about a setup like this for ipods but ended up just getting a micro usb charger that always sits in the 12v socket for when i need it.
You can buy an ipod docking cable that splits into a usb and an aux head, the aux cable would run to the headunit and the usb would plug into a charger that is tapped into the 12v socket behind the trim so it is all hidden from sight. the only thing you would see would be an ipod sync cable that both charges your ipod and sends music to the headunit while still maintaining control from the ipod.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 AM

^^ That's VERY similar what I was looking for. I want the ability to charge while playing b/c I hate having the lame tape deck and the charger plugged in at the same time...so many tangles, and it's a hazard when driving to constantly have them in the way.

You know how when you plug your iPhone/iPod onto a stereo dock, and you can play your music through the dock and out the speakers. I want to be able to do the same thing, but I want a USB 2.0 female plug near the HU like the one below...

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-22...uct/B0030S18HS

this HU has an AUX and USB 2.0 player for flashdrives. Our HU's aren't designed or programmed to navigate through anything other than a CD Changer, right?...if the flashdrive is formatted with just raw files and no folders, it is essentially the same format as a CD playlist with thousands of songs.??

I like the idea of the plug split from a USB/AUX and wiring them separately to work together.....but is this available with an AUDIO FEMALE 'A' USB 2.0 PORT mounted in the dash or near the HU, then split the USB 2.0 into a PWR/AUX behind the HU?

I'd like the ability to unplug the wire whenever I want to get it out of my way....I'm not super fond of a constant AUX wire sticking out, or needing to be tucked away when it is not in use. The only way I would be 'kind of' happy with any AUX wire is if I can plug in or unplug it from the dash...OR at least pull it through the center console and out he TINY notch on the driver side of the console under the armrest.

I feel like I just rambled my mouth off here :-/

Last edited by 00Lightsout; 05-19-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Emoticons NOT working, page breaks NOT working...i added "<p>" to insert page breaks
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 AM

hahahaaaa!!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3NOLsOb...=detailed_info

http://www.wikihow.com/Hook-up-an-iP...29-in-a-Nissan
Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM

has any1 tried this on a non-bose unit...any idea if it works or not?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Great write-up. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Just did this last night and it worked like a charm....thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Amazing tutorial! I plan on doing this over the weekend.

My one question is: do brands for the 3.55mm extension cable differ in quality? They are all <$10, so I doubt it. Can someone point me to one they used and are satisfied with the audio quality and cable durability? Thanks!

Edit: Also, do I need to use an aux extender? What if I just cut off the female part and use those wires, so I'll have the male part ready to plug into the mp3?

Last edited by DeeplyDisturbed; 08-31-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Thanks for this. Did on my and my sister in law's Maxima today.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice find, wish I had that for my stock non-bose stereo.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 00Lightsout
First off, thanks to NIGHTMAREuki for posting this writeup.

I have done the mod to my 2002 with Bose indash 6CD, and am very happy with the results. As the auxiliary input cable, I used an Isimple IS75 Ipod connector. It has the ipod connector on one end, and RCA connectors on the other. There is also the ability to wire into the 12V DC power from the car to charge the Ipod while in use. This setup works quite well.

Here is a link to the cable at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS75-P...4050257&sr=8-8
Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 AM

with this work on the dolby digital HU in the 2002 maxima's?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 PM

I have issues with mine, my blackberry, gf's iphone, and ipod work fine, but a portable DVD player sounds very distorted, and the XM Radio sounds like it has no power, like volume at MAX, and its very quiet like an old clock/radio. Any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Thanks OP, worked flawlessly on my old Pathfinder
Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 PM

well this work on my 2001, it looks different than the HU in write up. I'm guessing they all look the same inside?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Great write up just did this to my maxima worked perfect. At first i thought it didnt work because my phone (galaxy s3) couldnt play even through the speakers even though the headphone jack was in but my friends iphone worked perfect. I knew the aux was working fine but my phone was the problem, theres a whole thread on the bimmer forums on how to get this to work with the galaxy s3 it involves adding resistors to the aux cable which worked for me. Just letting ppl out there know cuz the s3 is a popular phone.

Heres my radio now. Im so happy with this mod

Name:  20130825_150504.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  98.9 KB
Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where do I find out about these resisters? Which Bimmer forum?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Those bose system sucks, so disappointed
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by tagius
Where do I find out about these resisters? Which Bimmer forum?
I found a better solution than adding the resistors to the wire cuz that looked wack. I took the radio out and added 2, 10 ohm resistors to the actual jack.

You solder a 10ohm resistor from the left channel to ground and then you solder another 10ohm resistor from right channel to ground, then you can use any aux cable and any phone works perfect. Make sure you tape up each channel so nothing touches each other cuz even if the wires are too close with no insulation it can create static.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:41 AM

any one done a 2001? i'm about to burn some CD but, i got the car fixed and am in the fixing mood and am thinking of doing this to my 2001 guide or no guide, i know it has a tape deck whihc means it just matter of wiring it in to the magnetic sensor's leads.

i've used a cheap cassette to to head phone adapter, it was low volume with ****ty clarity. i'm sure this helps being wired in directly so way less signal loss but, i have to winder if it will be all for nothing.

I wonder as all units have the tape deck which is what this mod taps in to but, you are still limited to the audio quality the tape deck circuits and head unit can out put vs the cassette adapter which is subject to signal degradation and noise

EDIT: is the left always black and right always red?

Last edited by cdoublejj; 12-01-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 AM

If you're not afraid to spend a little extra money, get the ipod kit from USA SPEC, its a simple plug-n-play. I drilled a hole in the front of my center console (inside the console, of course) and used an antena grommet for a "more professional look". Everything is neatly hidden away. The sound clarity is as good as CD.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Photobucket is really shafting me here with the "Third party" images they've replaced with the actual images. Anyone have the install saved or posted anywhere else? I know it's a long shot. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 AM

doing this this weekend !! thank you OP for wonderful write up and reposting housecor's original write up for the left side cd audio cut out ribbon cable reseating/replacement

in my case, my tape player stopped working it says error, i was using a tape converter for many years and i guess it finally went.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
doing this this weekend !! thank you OP for wonderful write up and reposting housecor's original write up for the left side cd audio cut out ribbon cable reseating/replacement
I am missing seeing the post for the left side audio cut-out ribbon cable reseating-- I have this problem in my original in dash 6 CD changer in my 02 which is the main reason I swapped it out for an earlier single disc unit. Can you plase point out where this info is?? Would love to try it--thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 10:47 AM

shift ice dot com, op posted it as well.

i just finsihed and it worked but didnt work, the aux cord install worked, but my tape player still can not stay on ! it plays for a second and switches to side 2 and then error ! even tho i have a blank tape or a screwdriver.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:16 AM
Father of the 00 VI

shift ice dot com, op posted it as well.

i just finsihed and it worked but didnt work, the aux cord install worked, but my tape player still can not stay on ! it plays for a second and switches to side 2 and then error ! even tho i have a blank tape or a screwdriver.
These radios can also be converted to blue tooth. Don't know how but a few on eBay for sale.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 AM

thanks for the info, i have been searching ebay for factory units, but they are all not working and over priced around $50 (17 year old factory HU that dosent work, no thanks) im frustrated , not sure what to do, the dash kit connecters are as much as a base model alpine head unit, basic head unit and connectors and dash kit $230-$250 for parts, then to figure it out installing.

i thought about soldering the aux cord to an am radio channel but not sure if the cuircit board has the same scenario as the tape does, then it feels like a waste when you do realize what basic headunits can do now, usbs, bluetooth, aux cord etc etc. let alone sound improvements.

i drive 1.5 hours a day , i need my music back asap.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:33 AM

thanks for the info, i have been searching ebay for factory units, but they are all not working and over priced around $50 (17 year old factory HU that dosent work, no thanks) im frustrated , not sure what to do, the dash kit connecters are as much as a base model alpine head unit, basic head unit and connectors and dash kit $230-$250 for parts, then to figure it out installing.

i thought about soldering the aux cord to an am radio channel but not sure if the cuircit board has the same scenario as the tape does, then it feels like a waste when you do realize what basic headunits can do now, usbs, bluetooth, aux cord etc etc. let alone sound improvements.

i drive 1.5 hours a day , i need my music back asap.
Quick fix: an FM Modulator (not an FM transmitter). The modulator goes inline with the FM antenna and when on, you can select what frequency to use (very similar to the crappy fm transmitters). The modulator then completely blocks the signal for that particular frequency so that you can use it for your aux music.

https://www.lifewire.com/in-car-fm-modulators-534577

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 AM

thanks man, looking closely into this option, i didnt realize it because i wasn't a fan of the transmitter route.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 AM

thanks man, looking closely into this option, i didnt realize it because i wasn't a fan of the transmitter route.
Yeah, the FM transmitters are crap these days. They used to be stronger until the FCC stepped in years ago when Sirius and XM became popular. The FM transmitters were much stronger back then and people were getting music on their radios from other nearby cars.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 AM

got a decent deal at crutch field, and if you buy a HU from them, they deeply discount all the connectors trim kit and adapters. 100$ alpine HU and 50$ for everything (steering, level line, wire harness, radio, trim kit etc)