5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

!!!Found our 3-4K hesitation!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM

!!!Found our 3-4K hesitation!!!

Ok so i was cleaning under the hood yesterday. I did my my own version of the VIAS block plate last year. When i did this i plugged the vacuum hose that runs to the valve on the VIAS. I left everything else the way it was. SO i was cleaning last night and thought that once the engine reaches 3-4k and the ecu tells the acuator to open to allow a vacuum for the valve to open. I figured this momentary opening and letting the Vacuum Can build vacuum for the VIAS is giving that few seconds of a hesitation, just like you woul feel if there was a gasket leak. So i disconnected the vacuum hose running to the acuator (blue arrow) and put a cap on the spout coming off the UIM (red arrow)

All i can say is the car now pulls right thru 3k wit hno hesitations. It is like a new motor.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Uh, that's how your suppose to do it...

Block off both ports on the actuator and cap off the UIM nipple.

You can even remove the Canister and clean up the engine a bit.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM

For reference, here's NWP's instructions...

http://www.nwpengineering.com/VQ35DE_FWD_VIAS.pdf

Same procedure should be done with DIY'er.

Here is mine...

This was before NWP even made them.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Aww way to rain on my parade hahahah
Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Sucks doesn't it...

Same thing happened to me with a really nice MAF adapter I purchased on eBay.

r-tec-3-maf-aluminum-adapter-cheap-alternative-custom-intakes-pictures
Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM

can i do this on a 5th gen?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
Nope...
Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Speaking of vacuum leaks... that's a pretty thin DIY block plate. Did you reuse the OEM gasket, or RTV?

And yeah, you can remove the VIAS vacuum canister if you'd like.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM

jeff5347, how's the oil catch working out for you? I see the hoses in your pic.

I got sick of emptying the oil out of mine and removed it early last year.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Speaking of vacuum leaks... that's a pretty thin DIY block plate. Did you reuse the OEM gasket, or RTV?

i just went outside and removed all the hardware for the VIAS. Yea the plate is dirty and about a 1/8th inch pice of steel plate i cut to fit. When it was in the plate size before i cut it it was some what flexible, after cutting and shaping it it is stiff and doesnt flex. I used RTV to seal it and saved the gasket to put the VIAS back on when i get rid of it. I need to get the alum mag polish or take it back off and clean it and clear so it stays clean.

Originally Posted by nismopc
jeff5347, how's the oil catch working out for you? I see the hoses in your pic.

I got sick of emptying the oil out of mine and removed it early last year.
its actually working good. i got it at HD and removed all the junk inside. it has the tiny screw plug on the bottom so i can take a small cup and drain it into the cup. i haven't drained it in prob 2 months and only have less than a measured fluid cup.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

Mine is all all OEM the way it was stock, and it's fine.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:07 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Just don't unclip the electrical connections or you get a pending P1800 code.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Just don't unclip the electrical connections or you get a pending P1800 code.
This, too. Good clarification.

Hey, Scott. You know what? -- I still haven't done this yet. It's in my plans for next month, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Everything I've read from you on the VIAS delete tells me you've no regrets.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 PM

oh i did disconnect the elec connector for the actuator. what did you guys do with yours
Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jeff5347
oh i did disconnect the elec connector for the actuator. what did you guys do with yours
Leave it connected. Put a cap on both nipples.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

This, too. Good clarification.

Hey, Scott. You know what? -- I still haven't done this yet. It's in my plans for next month, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Everything I've read from you on the VIAS delete tells me you've no regrets.
Definitely worth the $40. The only time I notice the minimal low end loss is if I get caught at a weird speed where it is just past where it should downshift into a lower gear (like going 30 and it goes into 2nd and not 1st) but it is sort of like mimimal turbo lag because all of a sudden it starts to pull hard.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:51 AM

now u know how a 5th gen shifts. i always thought 5.5 shift alittle wierd. i kinda like 5th gen shifting better but 5.5 looks (front grill/bumper)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM

Definitely worth the $40. The only time I notice the minimal low end loss is if I get caught at a weird speed where it is just past where it should downshift into a lower gear (like going 30 and it goes into 2nd and not 1st) but it is sort of like mimimal turbo lag because all of a sudden it starts to pull hard.

Hey Scott....I want to do this to my 02 (AT)....I know its been a bit since you've blocked the VIAS....do you have any long term input...in terms of gas mileage...did it eventually get better? worse? stayed the same?...and this loss of low end torque.....in your opinion....is the top end totally worth the loss in low end....is it really that noticeable?....Do you have the phenolic spacers?

By the way....I liked your analogy....kinda like turbo lag....lol.

thanks

Last edited by 2 GO B4; 04-18-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM

I've had my plate for a few months now and have'nt installed it yet. My first excuse was because winter arrived and then I was thinking about the low end loss. Now that the weather is nice and I have a new gasket thanks to an Org member, I guess theres no more excuses. I must try and see how I feel about it as it's easily reversable if I don't like it.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM

^^^ Yeah, I'd like to know your impressions too Scott... I just made my own aluminum block plate. Not as pretty as Aaron's from NWP, but it works the same. I'm not too sure what I think yet... don't know if the difference in top end that I'm feeling is all in my head or not I also THINK I feel a slight low end loss, but I don't know if that's in my head too... it's hard to tell. I have spacers as well, but I'd like to hear your long term impressions.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 PM

nwp actually does not state to do that in the instructions. with the NWP your blocking off the vias solenoid, the other hose marked in red above is still connected.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by hotstartup
nwp actually does not state to do that in the instructions. with the NWP your blocking off the vias solenoid, the other hose marked in red above is still connected.
True. I noticed that too...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:08 PM

I have to agree with you on that. If you don't catch it at the right speed it's terrible. But once it catches back up to speed it's great. What's even better is when it snaps into gear and takes off.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Gotta love that Z33 CVTC curve
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
Nope...
that sucks!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bigpopaj369
that sucks!!!
Doesn't matter man, my dad has a 2k, and there is no real change in powerband from low down to up high. Very smooth and continual power from that engine. The DE-K manifold setup works pretty well as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
Hey Scott....I want to do this to my 02 (AT)....I know its been a bit since you've blocked the VIAS....do you have any long term input...in terms of gas mileage...did it eventually get better? worse? stayed the same?...and this loss of low end torque.....in your opinion....is the top end totally worth the loss in low end....is it really that noticeable?....Do you have the phenolic spacers?

By the way....I liked your analogy....kinda like turbo lag....lol.

thanks
Mileage hasn't changed at all, still get 18-20 in mostly city driving (22.5 when I was in Phoenix due to significantly better light timing there) and the same 26-27 if I am all freeway. Those numbers are doing the actual math, trip computer shows 3-4 mpg better than those numbers. Actually had a 502 dte reading after a fill-up on my trip out to Phoenix.

The top end gain is worth the touch of softness between 2800-3800 rpms, not to mention the transmission now automatically shifts around 6500 rpms when before it was around 6000-6200 rpms so it not only takes advantage of the top end gains, put puts you at a higher rpm in the next gear on the upshift. Still can spin the tires pretty hard off the line so the low end loss isn't that big. I'm expecting to get it all back whenever I do the intake spacers anyway.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 AM

Mileage hasn't changed at all, still get 18-20 in mostly city driving (22.5 when I was in Phoenix due to significantly better light timing there) and the same 26-27 if I am all freeway. Those numbers are doing the actual math, trip computer shows 3-4 mpg better than those numbers. Actually had a 502 dte reading after a fill-up on my trip out to Phoenix.

The top end gain is worth the touch of softness between 2800-3800 rpms, not to mention the transmission now automatically shifts around 6500 rpms when before it was around 6000-6200 rpms so it not only takes advantage of the top end gains, put puts you at a higher rpm in the next gear on the upshift. Still can spin the tires pretty hard off the line so the low end loss isn't that big. I'm expecting to get it all back whenever I do the intake spacers anyway.
Thanks for the input Scott....really appreciate it.....I will go ahead and order the block plate today. I have one quick question for you.....I have been seeing conflicting info on which vacuum nipple (i know i know.....for those of you out there with minds in the gutter all of the time) to plug...is it the nipple on the manifold....the nipple on the solenoid....or both???
I am looking forward to doing this mod....and I will post my thoughts up as soon as I do....Oh...one more thing Scott...did you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery when you did this....for the relearn?

thanks much
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Plug ALL THREE (3) and remove the canister. Leave the solenoid harness plugged in.

You don't want any vaccuum leak in the upper intake - PLUG IT
Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM

This is EXACTLY what I noticed... wow.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Plug ALL THREE (3) and remove the canister. Leave the solenoid harness plugged in.

You don't want any vaccuum leak in the upper intake - PLUG IT
Do this.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:15 AM

^^^ Why? does it make a difference? I just removed the vacuum hose from the intake and plugged it and the intake nipple... is there any reason to remove the canister?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jowo9
^^^ Why? does it make a difference? I just removed the vacuum hose from the intake and plugged it and the intake nipple... is there any reason to remove the canister?
As for UIM nipple:
Un-metered air in upper intake, even that small can impact performance. PLUG IT.

As for the solenoid:
Capping it makes it think it's still under pressure and connected to UIM. PLUG IT

As for canister:
IMHO - If your not using it then why leave it?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 AM

I've currently used a really ghetto method of plugging, cuz I did my own block plate. Does anyone have any recommendations for good, functional, and aesthetically pleasing plugs?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM

As for UIM nipple:
Un-metered air in upper intake, even that small can impact performance. PLUG IT.

As for the solenoid:
Capping it makes it think it's still under pressure and connected to UIM. PLUG IT

As for canister:
IMHO - If your not using it then why leave it?
okay....on the NWP website...the pictures of the block plate only show one nipple plug.....do you get one or two with the kit???
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM

I've currently used a really ghetto method of plugging, cuz I did my own block plate. Does anyone have any recommendations for good, functional, and aesthetically pleasing plugs?
Contact Aaron at NWP, and paypal him a couple bucks for his trouble.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Looks better if you don't have the engine cover on.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Looks better if you don't have the engine cover on.
Haha , true...
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM

I have a '04 engine, so would this work on it? and can I do it on a pure stock engine and by doing this i would get gains?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
okay....on the NWP website...the pictures of the block plate only show one nipple plug.....do you get one or two with the kit???
Almost ALL auto parts stores sell these. I get mine from Advance Auto Parts for a few bucks.

Search Results for “vacuum cap” @ online parts stores. Example:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...erm=vacuum+cap

Quick Reply: !!!Found our 3-4K hesitation!!!