5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

vent visor tint dark or light??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 PM

vent visor tint dark or light??

Which weathertech window visors look right on a stock 01 silver max, dark tint or light tint?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are your windows tinted?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by roggeezy
Are your windows tinted?
I did not tint them, they dont look darker than factory.

Can a pedestrian tell if your windows beneath the visor are cracked or not with the lighter tint?

Last edited by maxipaddle; 04-19-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:45 PM

I emailed the place that sells them but they told me both tints would look good on my car which doesnt help me lol. I would rather have the opinion of a maxima owner anyways.

Originally Posted by mcneil email
Thank you for your interest in MacNeil Automotive.

Both the light and dark tinted deflectors will look fine on a silver colored car. The light tint is a medium to light gray shade that would work well with the vehicle color. The dark tint is more of a black smoke that is optically transparent and will also work with the silver paint and the black window gaskets.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

How did this guy manage to post a thread
Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
How did this guy manage to post a thread
Quite simple i made 15 posts. I decided against asking my questions in established threads entirely unrelated to vent visors, so i made my first pots in the newbie thread, I waited a few days asked again waited a few days asked again then again then realized that almomst no one here reads that thread. If the moderator does read it then he must be on a long vacation. After i got to 15 i posted my thread. Then i went back and removed some of the excess reppetition from the newbie thread so i dont leave a mess for the mod when or if he finally does come back.

In hindsight i probably should have picked 15 threads totallly at randoms and posted "good job , looks great dude!" I'll do that next time if i have to start over lol.

Last edited by maxipaddle; 04-19-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by maxipaddle
Quite simple i made 15 posts. I decided against asking my questions in established threads entirely unrelated to vent visors, so i made my first pots in the newbie thread, I waited a few days asked again waited a few days asked again then again then realized that almomst no one here reads that thread. If the moderator does read it then he must be on a long vacation. After i got to 15 i posted my thread. Then i went back and removed some of the excess reppetition from the newbie thread so i dont leave a mess for the mod when or if he finally does come back.

In hindsight i probably should have picked 15 threads totallly at randoms and posted "good job , looks great dude!" I'll do that next time if i have to start over lol.
I'm not really into newbie bashing but that's pretty weak.

They're only rainguards btw, close you eyes and pick one. Either way it's not gonna make or break you.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
I'm not really into newbie bashing but that's pretty weak.

They're only rainguards btw, close you eyes and pick one. Either way it's not gonna make or break you.
If you dont have an answer to my question, why bother posting? thats annoying.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM

i'd go dark but then again my car is black... only way to know is to just bite the bullet and buy a set.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Lol. I did answer. I said buy one, either way it'll look fine. Don't be so sensitive dude.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 AM

Which weathertech window visors look right on a stock 01 silver max, dark tint or light tint?
Is you car sheer silver or sterling mist? It also depends on if you have blacked out anything else on your car. If you are going for a blacked out theme, go for the darker tint. If you are mostly stock, go for the lighter ones.

IMHO....... dont get any. I never understood the purpose of these besides making your car look like its driven by an 83 year old grandma. Again....thats just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 AM

if your set on getting them get the lighter ones, they wont be as noticable. The key is to be subtle.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
IMHO....... dont get any. I never understood the purpose of these besides making your car look like its driven by an 83 year old grandma. Again....thats just my opinion.
The question being, "Which one looks right?", I'd have to side with kgallerie on his opinion -- neither.

Unless you're looking for functionality (such as it is), then either. But that's not what you asked.

Whether smoked or black, these side window visors are an ugly hunk of cheap plastic commonly found on an old Mercury Marquis, and typically driven by elderly people.

OP, the forum is all about opinions. Here's another: pass on the visors.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'd go with pink .. maybe some yellow highlights in it somewhere.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 AM

lol I should have said which one will look better, or perhaps, less fugly. Sorry NmexMAX i dont think they sell pink. I could hide some pink cold cathode lights under them so they flash to the trunk rattling of my cheap subwoofer, what do you think? lol.

I'll send you pictures for the price of cold cathodes and a cheap sub. I'll do the labor for free.

The silver is a bit champagney, so it probably is sterling mist. Or im too sober.

I'ves seen some cars out there where they really stick out and others where they not so noticeable and kind of blend in. I posted this question in hope that one of the tints would look the latter on my car lol.

And no im not a smoker. I want the visor so i can keep my windows cracked. Along with a windshield shade my car should be a whole lot cooler. Its not just comfort thing, though i do have black leather interior and the seat and stering wheel get hot. But also those very high temperatures trash lithium ion batteries. They'll only last 2-3 months instead of 2 years. I'll be able to keep more of my stuff in there at lower temps. Also cracking a windows seems to help get teh moisture out faster when im defogging.

I remember when i was a teenager leaving the sun roof slightly open on a hot and ''dry'' day. When i came out later i found alot of rain. Havent made that mistake ever again.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM

This is my old max i no longer own, I cant find pics of ym current one with tinted windows.. but.......the tints are 35% ,.. find out whats legal in your local area and then price it around,.. in my opinion they are much more functional than the visors (which im not a huge fan of).. I'll sell you the sunroof visor in that picture if your looking for one

Last edited by mist max2000; 04-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Why are the visors not functional?

I belive its not legal to tint the winshield darker here, theres a limit on the side windows and but no limit on the rear. I dont want my windows very dark, also it would look bad with the side windows dark and the winshield not.

I just found out theres IR heat blocking tint.

http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoWindscreen.aspx

http://www.crystallinefilms.com/

I have a feeling that stuff is pricey.

Does the sunroof visor keep rain out when parked or only when driving? I do think those are a bit ugly though very common on maximas.

I wish someone did a test of the temperature in the sun with various options to see how much they contribute.. Visor with windows cracked. dark tint. Expensive Ir blocking tint. pleated winshield sunshade etc.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM

I wish someone did a test of the temperature in the sun with various options to see how much they contribute.. Visor with windows cracked. dark tint. Expensive Ir blocking tint. pleated winshield sunshade etc.
Sounds like you just volunteered

Go for it.....I'd be interested in the results.

BTW....where are you located?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM

I live south of you, in CT. It isnt arizona but it does get hot here. It wont get hot here for while obviously.

I have some calibrated probes and a good IR thermometer. The visor and sunshade is cheap and easy but the tints arent. Especially testing different ones, dark normal tint, really dark tint, expensive dark IR or expensive clear IR tints etc.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM

i dont think i said they wernt functional, i said i think window tint can be more functional. It def reduces the heat inside the vehicle, and if you want to block the front window just buy one of those pop up parking shades lol... I dont have any tint on my front window, nor is that legal anywhere unless you have a connection with a eye doctor and can get a prescription for window tint
Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM

I live south of you, in CT. It isnt arizona but it does get hot here. It wont get hot here for while obviously.

I have some calibrated probes and a good IR thermometer. The visor and sunshade is cheap and easy but the tints arent. Especially testing different ones, dark normal tint, expensive dark IR and clear IR tints etc.
oh,..well that makes 2 of us in CT, I'm in southington, and just in case your wondering.. I got my tints done on the berlin TPK @ tint master. They do great work, I think the whole car 4 windows and rear @ 35% comes out to like 200? i dont remember and they did it in 2-3 hours...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Does the sunroof visor keep rain out when parked or only when driving? I do think those are a bit ugly though very common on maximas.
The sunroof visor is for reduced airflow noise.

Just to put things in perspective here: the OP wants plastic shades on the side windows, but thinks the sunroof visor is "a bit ugly"?

How is that not the same thing?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM

The sunroof visor is bigger and more noticeable being (edit:the only non flat thing) in the middle of the roof i think. And the OP wants functionality with the least amount of uglyness neccessary hence the OP's concern with which tint would look more natural with the car. If the sunroof visor kept our rain then i would put that into consideration. My car never came with one.

Last edited by maxipaddle; 04-20-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:49 PM

Dude, whatever is in your head, I don't get it, and I'm not helping with a contrary opinion. I apologize for getting involved.

/unsubscribed
Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 PM

You should also check your laws about how far down the front (from top) you are allowed to tint the windshield - for example in Florida it's to an "A->" marker on the drivers and passenger sides of the the windshield... on the 'darkness' - usually looks good if you do this the same as the front doors windows,

Also, on the visors (for your doors) tinted if you get them (the clears look odd) - I personally don't like them for the Maxima, as I think it takes away from the smoothness of the car, but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM

Theyre not entirely clear, just a lighter tint.

At this point i think i might check out the return shiping cost. I might just purchase both sets of visors and then decide. I was hoping someone here would have experience with them.

Im going to look into window tinting.

If anyone has a page concerning this science of visible and Ir tint levels, leaving a window cracked open, sun shades etc solar gain and actual temperatures id appreciate that (probably wishful thinking).
Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 PM

none. theyre both ugly. and they will prolly get stolen anyway.

if u have to get it though and u have a silver car with stock tint. get the clearer/greyer ones.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM

I would go dark period and get some tint like the same color for the backs
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Personally, I've always thought the window vents were for smokers, so they could smoke when its raining. My grandpa's Buick has them, thus, I associate window vents with elderly smokers. Sunroof vents look "OK," but it still detracts from the clean lines of the car.

Get these:

Last edited by ZGadson; 04-24-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
Get these:

IMO if you have tinted windows, get the dark ones. no tint, clear.

if you don't smoke, don't get them, i think they look kinda cheap.