5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

In honor of my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In honor of my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires

I have composed a poem as tribute to my new Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons, 225/50/ZR17. Ahem...ahem...

I love you in the rain
I do not feel any pain

I will love you in the snow
My car, it now does go

I do not have any tire spin
If I did it would be a sin

My Potenza's, they were crap
I would have rather taken a nap

Your ride, it is so sweet
As a buyer, I will repeat

I grip the road on turns
For curvy roads one yearns

I will thank you every day
Every day in every way

I will drive you round the cities
I will avoid running over kitties

I will admire your lovely mold
As the corners I do hold

I thank you Michelin Pilot Sport
For being the best of any sort

Of all the tires on the road
For transportation of any mode
I think you are the very best
The very best of all the rest

Old 12-10-2001, 11:15 AM

Very nice poem

what did you pay for them? and were did you get them?
Old 12-10-2001, 11:22 AM

Re: Very nice poem

Originally posted by Blackgums100
what did you pay for them? and were did you get them?
I paid $230 a tire. That included mounting, balancing, free rotations for the life of the tires, free patching of punctures, and one free alignment. I bought them at a local tire shop in Seattle.

You can order these online for less (around $200, I think), but I wasn't up for dealing with the shipping and taking them to a shop to mount and balance. Also, since I know I am going to put new springs and struts on my Maxima before a year is up, I get that one free alignment afterwards. I figure, at the worst, I break even if you include convenience in the measurement. I can walk to the tire shop I chose, so that weighed in the decision.

They GREATLY have improved the wet traction of my car...I live in Seattle, so the pavement's wet a lot. Noticeable ride difference. Repeat passengers have noticed the difference, which has got to be a good sign. I have been pushing them on turns and fast starts at lights...definitly a good investment.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:26 AM

Good poem and I totally relate. I loved my Pilot Sports.

Notice I said LOVED.

I was driving to work the other day and really didn't notice anything, but the car was driving a little off. I come out of the office to find a totally flat rear tire. I drove a block to the closest gas station and filled it up with air. I then brought it over to my tire guy that I got the tires from. He pulled the tire and found a huge nail in the thing. The bad news was that I was driving on it for too long and chewed up the inside of the thing. He said it wasn't safe to use after a repair.

I only have 8 months left on my lease and he was holding on to my brand new Potenza's that I swapped up at 1000 miles. He put those back on the car. I had planned to put them back on at the end of my lease after wearing out the Michelins. I put about 32K on the Pilots (and they still had about 40% of tread left).

Going back to the stock tires reminds me everyday why I LOVED my Pilot Sports. I will get another set immediately after getting my next car.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:22 PM

Beautiful poem... but my tires were cheaper!!
Old 12-10-2001, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
Beautiful poem... but my tires were cheaper!!
Yeah, but your tires don't have a poem composed for them I notice.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:17 PM

Michelin Pilots

Originally posted by Michael98033

Dude, I really, really, really luuuv my Michelin Pilot XGTZ4's, but poetry??? Dude come on. I will tell you, before installing them on, I frequently had serious thoughs of a certain German car, now, I don't think I really care that much. So, on that level I can relate. For the amount of $1k, there is absolutely no better mod. Congrats, enjoy. Keep on rolling, rolling, rolling.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:38 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

Damn that brings a tear to my eye. Are you going to bury them in the back yard when their lives are over? Nice tires!!
Old 12-10-2001, 09:42 PM

kinda OT but since u guys love michelin so much , do you think I should go with michelin pilot XGT V4 215/60VR15 stock is good year RSA 205/65R15 right now on a 99 GLE? or should I stay with 205/65/15 size?
Old 12-10-2001, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
kinda OT but since u guys love michelin so much , do you think I should go with michelin pilot XGT V4 215/60VR15 stock is good year GA 205/65R15 right now on a 99 GLE? or should I stay with 205/65/15 size?
I think that it is pretty clear that to get that happy zappy feeling that we all have, you have to het Z rated Michelin tires. Very expensive, but very well worth it. God, who knows, you might come back composing poems for your tires. Enjoy.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by rubman

I think that it is pretty clear that to get that happy zappy feeling that we all have, you have to het Z rated Michelin tires. Very expensive, but very well worth it. God, who knows, you might come back composing poems for your tires. Enjoy.
but they don't make Z rated for 15inch, its only V rated... Anyways will I see any problem going from 205/65/15 to 215/60/15 ? my car will be slower or faster or the same?
Old 12-11-2001, 07:07 AM

Funny you should mention that rubman... I too used to dream about a certain German car, but all thoughts fadded away after owning a set of Pilot Sport XGT-Z4's.

Now if only we could get a dealer to swap out the tires on a brand new car so that we could save some cash on these awesome tires. All I would want is some sort of credit for the crappy stock tires... I have a local place that sells the Michelins for an awesome price (better than Tire Rack) with free rotations for life.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by Michael98033

My Kumho
Make me Zoomho

viola!! A masterpiece!!

Old 12-11-2001, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by punkdork
My Kumho
Make me Zoomho

viola!! A masterpiece!!

Old 12-11-2001, 08:01 AM

"I will drive you round the cities
I will avoid running over kitties"

I heard you can print up the price info from tirerack, or any other internet tire store, and take it in to Sears and get the price matched...this will save you on shipping. I haven't done this, but I plan on getting the Pilots soon and I will call Sears and let you know what they say.

We should put that poem in the FAQ under the question: "Are the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S worth the $200?"
Old 12-11-2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by bcannon
We should put that poem in the FAQ under the question: "Are the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S worth the $200?"
Then my name would live on in the history of .org much like those who have gone before me...the following names would be more effective if they faded in and out in a blurry background much like the opening credits of The Matrix...Y2KevSE...mingo...Paul6spd...etc...etc.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:43 AM

I was inspired by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S poem, so here it goes for my rsb and fstb...

I have a car from Japan
the car leans in turns, oh man!
I installed my bars
now the Max drives like race cars
all you Newbie questions are banned!
Old 12-11-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by bcannon
I was inspired by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S poem, so here it goes for my rsb and fstb...

I have a car from Japan
the car leans in turns, oh man!
I installed my bars
now the Max drives like race cars
all you Newbie questions are banned!

bcannon's a poet
but he didn't know it
Old 12-11-2001, 11:52 AM

Here’s a question….

I could get the Nitto 450’s for $118 each, mounted. Or, I could get the Michelin Pilots for about $210 each. Right?

Good. Now, I can get a Courtesy FSTB for $100 and an Addco RSB for $115.

So, which would be better?

Nitto 450 + FSTB + RSB + $100?

Or Michelin Pilots?

Not meaning to rag the tires, guys... just putting the economics in perspective. Seriously, I’d have to go for the Nittos and FSTB and RSB and almost a short throw shifter!

P.S., Rubman, how you liking the Y-Pipe? We’ll have to do a little 5th-gen thingy again soon…

T.
Old 12-11-2001, 12:04 PM

Re: Here’s a question….

Originally posted by Adboy
I could get the Nitto 450’s for $118 each, mounted. Or, I could get the Michelin Pilots for about $210 each. Right?

Or Michelin Pilots?

Not meaning to rag the tires, guys... just putting the economics in perspective. Seriously, I’d have to go for the Nittos and FSTB and RSB and almost a short throw shifter!
No doubt, if you're talking about getting maximum benefits out of an investment of upwards of $1K in your car, then go Nitto and add the FSTB, RSB, and have some extra cash. If you're trying to get the best tire out there (for all season/performance/comfort/tread life/etc), I was just voicing my opinion on that, leaving economics out of the picture. I would just as strongly support a decision to add an RSB or FSTB as they have both impacted the quality of my ride as significantly as the tires.

Talking about what the best item out there is and talking about the best item for a fixed amount of money are two entirely different things. For example, I think I made the best choice in vehicles, for myself, in the $30K range...I do not think I made the best choice in vehicles PERIOD.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:31 PM

Re: Here’s a question….

Originally posted by Adboy

Or Michelin Pilots?

P.S., Rubman, how you liking the Y-Pipe? We’ll have to do a little 5th-gen thingy again soon…

T.
Adboy, since we last met in Ricahrdson, I've done a mod or two. First, was the y-pipe(best mod ever). Had the front bumper re-painted(who hasn't). Had a teen-ager clip my rear bumper, while having it replaced did the 2002 tails. Bought 2002 SE 3.5 Altima wheels(absolutely loved them). At that point also added my XGTZ4's(actually that was part of my negotiation when I bought the car @ courtesy). MIchelin's were(aside from the y-pipe), best mod ever. Hopefully we can all get together in the Spring.
Old 12-11-2001, 03:49 PM

I am more than a little frightened by this poem. Glad ya like the tires though.

SuDZ
Old 12-11-2001, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
I am more than a little frightened by this poem. Glad ya like the tires though.

SuDZ
I can write more poetry if you'd like.