5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exhaust config for 2k2 (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 06:34 PM

Exhaust config for 2k2 (Pics)

For all those who are curious about the 2k2 exhaust configuration, and its possible adaptibility for a y-pipe, here it is. This is the ONLY exhaust config for a 2k2. There is no distinction between federal or cali-spec. Note the addition of another precat on the rear cylinder bank, very similar to the front pre-cat style which first showed up on the '99 cali-spec Maxima.

[IMG]c:\files\2k2exhaust1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]c:\files\2k2exhaust2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-10-2001, 06:45 PM
Got Bent?

pics don't work

but anyhow, you are saying that the rear pre-cat is now built into the rear exhaust manfiold? That would make the y-pipe design a bit tougher I would think....
Old 12-10-2001, 06:51 PM

It seems you used [img] with a file saved on ur C drive
Old 12-10-2001, 08:34 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I can't see the pics. Greg, are you implying that a Y-pipe WILL NOT work on a 2k2? We already knew the front bank was no good and now the rear bank is no good? If this is true, I'm not gonna get one of these cars because they really won't be any faster than a well driven 95-00 5 speed with the NA mods. We already know that a Y-pipe on the 01 Max does very little simply because the front precat has to be left on. The precats are what kills the power.

Dave
Old 12-10-2001, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
I can't see the pics. Greg, are you implying that a Y-pipe WILL NOT work on a 2k2? We already knew the front bank was no good and now the rear bank is no good? If this is true, I'm not gonna get one of these cars because they really won't be any faster than a well driven 95-00 5 speed with the NA mods. We already know that a Y-pipe on the 01 Max does very little simply because the front precat has to be left on. The precats are what kills the power.

Dave
Damn Dave, you just killed me on that, so now there is no point in me getting a ypipe unless I get a FedSpec and just deal with changing it when the emissions test comes up. Man I dont want this crap. I want more power, is that too much to ask for? hahahha

Well, Now looks like I need to figure out something else to get more power.

Dixit
Old 12-10-2001, 09:01 PM

That leaves only 1 option, do a conversion to the older fed spec exhaust manifolds. Assuming both engines use the same exhaust manifold gaskets then this can be done. If so all you have to do is relocate the o2 sensors to the main cat before and after.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:12 PM

Dave
Some one said Stillen is developing headers for the 2002 max. I bet my headers would fit, who know's how the o2 sensors would react though.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:11 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by emax95

Some one said Stillen is developing headers for the 2002 max. I bet my headers would fit, who know's how the o2 sensors would react though.
At first I thought it was BS when someone said Stillen was possibly developing headers for the Maxima/Altima. But after thinking about it, I'm sure Stillen wants to get make the headers so that they can own the header market for the Maxima/Altima just like Comptech does with the Acura TL/TLS. Stillen would be the only US company I know of that has the money and Nissan know-how to develop the headers.

The biggest hurdle is getting around all those sensors. I really hope the 2k2 Max/Alti is as easily modified as the early models.

Dave
Old 12-10-2001, 10:22 PM
PhatGuy

We already know that a Y-pipe on the 01 Max does very little simply because the front precat has to be left on. The precats are what kills the power.

Dave
Not true at all! The power gain with an aftermarket y-pipe is pretty much the same for both cali and fed spec 00. It was proven with a cali<->fed spec swap and dynos. All 01 are cali spec as well.

Old 12-10-2001, 11:30 PM

i called stillen yesterday to ask about 2k2 mods. he told me all they have now is an intake and exhaust of course but he also said a y-pipe and a blower were in the works (along with a body kit but that doesnt matter) if it was as simple as looking at pictures to decide whether its possible or not dont you think stillen would know by now? "in the works" must mean that its possible.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Newman96SE
i called stillen yesterday to ask about 2k2 mods. he told me all they have now is an intake and exhaust of course but he also said a y-pipe and a blower were in the works (along with a body kit but that doesnt matter) if it was as simple as looking at pictures to decide whether its possible or not dont you think stillen would know by now? "in the works" must mean that its possible.
I am sure Stillen will cook something good up for us.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:36 AM

I guess the IMG option doesn't work. How do you embed a pic in a message? I've seen others do it.

Anyway - there is a precat on the rear manifold now, in addition to the precat on the front manifold. I am not sure what exactly is in the "Y" pipe anymore in the way of precats, but it is really now just a straight length pipe.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:55 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Damn Dave, you just killed me on that, so now there is no point in me getting a ypipe unless I get a FedSpec and just deal with changing it when the emissions test comes up. Man I dont want this crap. I want more power, is that too much to ask for? hahahha

Well, Now looks like I need to figure out something else to get more power.

Dixit
That precat when removed gives no more power. The Calif spec model gains a considerable amount with a ypipe. Still get it. you will get at least 10 hp at the bare min.

Old 12-11-2001, 07:15 AM

I'm not gonna get one of these cars because they really won't be any faster than a well driven 95-00 5 speed with the NA mods.
Dave
I wouldn't be so sure about the idea of a less modified '02 6 spd. not being faster than modified 95-00 5 speed Maximas. Remember the dyno testing recently done (while the outright HP numbers were all low due to some problem with the dyno) showed that an '01 5 spd.(with Y-pipe and Stillen intake) compared to an '02 6 spd.(with Stillen muffler and intake) was shy 18 HP and 37 ft.lbs. of torque, never mind that the '02 was doing it all at lower rpm. It's gunna take a fair amount of modifing to make up that ground.

As far as whether something is "well driven" I'd assume that the same driver in different cars would still have roughly the same amount of driving skill.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by GregP
I guess the IMG option doesn't work. How do you embed a pic in a message? I've seen others do it.
The IMG tag must point to a photograph which is located somewhere which can be accessed by all of us. You put the IMG tags around a path on your local hard drive, which is not a location freely accessible by this web site. You would need to post those pictures on a web site which was then reflected between the IMG tags. If the pictures are small enough, you can upload them from your hard drive...option at the bottom of the page when you are typing a response called "Attach file."
Old 12-11-2001, 01:45 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by Paul D.

I wouldn't be so sure about the idea of a less modified '02 6 spd. not being faster than modified 95-00 5 speed Maximas. Remember the dyno testing recently done (while the outright HP numbers were all low due to some problem with the dyno) showed that an '01 5 spd.(with Y-pipe and Stillen intake) compared to an '02 6 spd.(with Stillen muffler and intake) was shy 18 HP and 37 ft.lbs. of torque, never mind that the '02 was doing it all at lower rpm. It's gunna take a fair amount of modifing to make up that ground.

As far as whether something is "well driven" I'd assume that the same driver in different cars would still have roughly the same amount of driving skill.
I agree the 2k2 6spd should be signifcantly faster than any other NA Max especially on the highway! If we could only get a good dyno plot of the 6spd to determine optimal shift points! With equal drivers the 6spd would come out ahead without a doubt IMO.

Old 12-11-2001, 02:07 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by PhatGuy

I agree the 2k2 6spd should be signifcantly faster than any other NA Max especially on the highway! If we could only get a good dyno plot of the 6spd to determine optimal shift points! With equal drivers the 6spd would come out ahead without a doubt IMO.
I would like to believe that the 2k2 is significantly quicker, but when the 2k2 6 speeds are trapping out at 93-97mph, ets in the 14.3-14.8 range, 60' in the 2.1-2.3 range, and runs on sea level tracks and cooler weather, I'm not seeing the "significant" gains over a modified 95-00. I'm hoping for the best because I'm considering one of these cars. It does appear the auto 2k2 is significantly quicker though. I think that has much to do with the added torque.

Dave
Old 12-11-2001, 02:26 PM
Keven97SE

You also have to consider that a stock 2002 is going to be far more refined (sound, vibration, etc) than a "super" 95-2001. I personally would much rather be in the car that was quiet and comfy than the noist beesy can car if they're both identically quick. Just something about being able to drive a car right off the lot and start kicking azz without having to thoroughly mess with the car.

Even if you won't see much gain from a ypipe on a 2002, there's still room for improvement that will ultimately make it mod-for-mod quicker than a 3.0L.

I would like to believe that the 2k2 is significantly quicker, but when the 2k2 6 speeds are trapping out at 93-97mph, ets in the 14.3-14.8 range, 60' in the 2.1-2.3 range, and runs on sea level tracks and cooler weather, I'm not seeing the "significant" gains over a modified 95-00. I'm hoping for the best because I'm considering one of these cars. It does appear the auto 2k2 is significantly quicker though. I think that has much to do with the added torque.

Dave

Old 12-11-2001, 02:30 PM
Keven97SE

...(I posted this nice long reply under GregP's other 2002 manifold/ypipe post but nobody seems to be reading that one so I'm re-posting here I must want attention)...

I think I get it.

The problem with the 4th gen through 2001 ypipes wasn't so much that it had the pre-cats in it,
but the convergence of the two downpipes, ie the actual "Y" part. On those cars, the rear downpipe literally angled INTO the front downpipe...the rear pipe didn't flow with the front pipe but rather against it. Seems ludicrous but that must have been the only way Nissan could fit the precat on the rear downpipe and get equal length downpipe sections. It was NASTY and that's why aftermarket ypipes made so much power on 4th gens and 2000-2001s also to a lesser degree.

HOWEVER, looking at this picture of the 2002, it looks like Nissan has finally solved that nasty "Y" section. Although the convergence "Y" pipes themselves are covered by that heat shield, it looks to me like the rear pipe curves towards the front of the car but then turns 180 degrees and convergences with the rear pipe in a far more flow-friendly way...if anybody remembers the first generation Stillen ypipe, that one did the same thing...and Stillen eventually dropped that design
because they found there to be no power gains over the non-equal length (current Stillen) ypipe. Now that Nissan has located the pre-cats on the rear downpipe just like the front, which is right after the manifold, they must have found more space to work with and were able to add a good "Y".

Can anybody with a 2002 remove that heat shield under the "Y" section or otherwise verify this? Does the rear downpipe turn toward the front but then turn 180 degrees back towards the rear and converge with the front pipe?

If this is true, then you can forget even bothering with an aftermarket ypipe. If the "Y" is no longer nasty on the stock pipe, which was the main reason for the ypipe upgrade in the first place, expect very little gain with an aftermarket ypipe on 2002s.
http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxi...axSE-YPipe1.jpg

Old 12-11-2001, 02:32 PM
Keven97SE

Sorry, bad pic link and editor doesn't work:
http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxim...xSE-YPipe1.jpg

Old 12-11-2001, 02:37 PM
PhatGuy

Dave
Well all I know is the NYC guys have put a stock 6spd to the test and it went toe to toe with a gs400 on the highway. Can your car do that? I've only driven a modded 6spd and unless you are boosting it would lay a vicious beating on your ride on the highway. A 14.3 for a stock 6spd on it's very first run is impressive! Once these guys have their cars for a while you will see even better times and higher trap speeds. Imagine if Steve did theblue method and took out his spare, backseats and front passenger seat? Your only fooling yourself if you honestly feel the 2k2 6spd is not significantly faster than any other stock maxima let alone mod for mod. 14.3 stock!!!

Old 12-11-2001, 05:17 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Keven97SE
You also have to consider that a stock 2002 is going to be far more refined (sound, vibration, etc) than a "super" 95-2001. I personally would much rather be in the car that was quiet and comfy than the noist beesy can car if they're both identically quick. Just something about being able to drive a car right off the lot and start kicking azz without having to thoroughly mess with the car.

Even if you won't see much gain from a ypipe on a 2002, there's still room for improvement that will ultimately make it mod-for-mod quicker than a 3.0L.

I completely with you. I would much rather have quiet and comfy running mid 14s in a "quietly" modded 2k2 auto. My 96 has a Y-pipe, b-pipe, intake, and UDP and it's kindy loud at WOT. I think most of the problem lies in the factory sound deadening or the lack of. I really hope that the 2k2 rides decently on a mild 1.5" drop. The lowering the 95+ Maximas is what really seems to kill the ride.

Dave