5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ypipe debate.......???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 08:35 PM
maxgsxr1

ypipe debate.......???

i have a 01 auto max and thinking about putting on a cattman ypipe with all stock exhaust. currently have k\n oscai and underpulley.i read in past that the car only gains power over 5000 rpm.and looses a little off idle to say 4000. i don't want to loose torque around town driving normal(usually reving to 4500).is this true? is it relly worth buying? maybe i should just get a rear converter test pipe?(between y and b pipe)....i want more power though out rpm. with out nos or supercharger!!! any suggestions people?thanx. oh and i don't want to trade for 2k2........too much of a loss...

Old 12-10-2001, 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: ypipe debate.......???

Originally posted by maxgsxr1
i have a 01 auto max and thinking about putting on a cattman ypipe with all stock exhaust. currently have k\n oscai and underpulley.i read in past that the car only gains power over 5000 rpm.and looses a little off idle to say 4000. i don't want to loose torque around town driving normal(usually reving to 4500).is this true? is it relly worth buying? maybe i should just get a rear converter test pipe?(between y and b pipe)....i want more power though out rpm. with out nos or supercharger!!! any suggestions people?thanx. oh and i don't want to trade for 2k2........too much of a loss...
I heard this is not true at all. The Ypipe is supposed to give you a HP gain over the full range of a dyno chart.

The Popcharge is what is lost on the lost end but gains are great on the highend.

Hope you are not confusion the two.

Dixit
Old 12-10-2001, 10:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The Y-pipe adds power at all rpms, most importantly lowend torque. Unfortunately you've got a 2k1 which means you've got a more restrictive emissions system on-boaird and the Y-pipes don't work quite as well as they did on the 95-00 Maximas.

Dave
Old 12-10-2001, 10:21 PM

Yeah my butt dyno felt the difference especially at higher rpm's
Old 12-11-2001, 03:55 AM
Got Bent?

you won't lose anything with the y-pipe.... it's all gains from 3k rpm and up.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:30 AM
maxgsxr1

anyone have a dyno sheet?????why is my exhaust more restrictive than 2k0?

Old 12-11-2001, 04:34 AM
Got Bent?

anyone have a dyno sheet?????why is my exhaust more restrictive than 2k0?
the front pre-cat is built into the front exhaust manifold rather than in the y-pipe... stock, they are probably the same. But with a 2k1 and 2k cali spec y-pipe, you can only replace the rear pre-cat... the front pre-cat stays in the front manifold.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:29 AM

Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
The Popcharge is what is lost on the lowend but gains are great on the highend.
Dixit
Unless of course you have an '02 in which case it would seem the intake system can actually contribute to an increased peak torque being reached at a LOWER rpm.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

Originally posted by Paul D.
Unless of course you have an '02 in which case it would seem the intake system can actually contribute to an increased peak torque being reached at a LOWER rpm.
On paper at least.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

Originally posted by Michael98033

On paper at least.
If by "On paper" you mean the dyno sheet printouts, you'd be right, but I don't understand your point, are you implying the gains aren't real because they're printed on a dyno sheet instead of a time slip???

AND if you're implying that the gains I mentioned are theoretical and not based on something objective, I've got the "paper" (ie. dyno sheets) which prove you're wrong.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

If by "On paper" you mean the dyno sheet printouts, you'd be right, but I don't understand your point, are you implying the gains aren't real because they're printed on a dyno sheet instead of a time slip???

AND if you're implying that the gains I mentioned are theoretical and not based on something objective, I've got the "paper" (ie. dyno sheets) which prove you're wrong.
Right...uh, the first one.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:45 AM

I have a 2K1 with (OSCAI and) Y-pipe and can tell you, no power was lost at all. I feel a nice extra pull at 3K RPM up, then it gets even nicer at 4500 RPM all the way to red line. You’ll feel a DEFINITE difference as it pulls hard up to 100MPH.

Get one and you’ll be spending less time at those lower RPMs anyway…

Have fun!
Old 12-11-2001, 08:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

Right...uh, the first one.
Well...uh, it's winter around here and the track closed months before I took delivery of my car so you'll have to excuse me if I didn't manage to get the type of paper which would convince you. Fortunately my years of racing experience and dynoing those race vehicles indicates to me that what I saw on the dyno with my '02 Maxima WILL translate into better time slips.

I'm curious about what experience you have which might indicate that the "on paper" results I have wouldn't translate into some real world gain???
Old 12-11-2001, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

Well...uh, it's winter around here and the track closed months before I took delivery of my car so you'll have to excuse me if I didn't manage to get the type of paper which would convince you. Fortunately my years of racing experience and dynoing those race vehicles indicates to me that what I saw on the dyno with my '02 Maxima WILL translate into better time slips.

I'm curious about what experience you have which might indicate that the "on paper" results I have wouldn't translate into some real world gain???
Taking my post "uh, the first one" for what it is, it would only suggest that I was, in fact, referring to dyno sheet printouts when I said "on paper." It in no way suggests challenging your assertions regarding how these dyno numbers might translate into better time slips. In fact, I didn't even bring that up in the first place. It was merely, what I can only assume to be, insecurity which caused you to assume that my four-word post of "on paper at least" was in some way intended to challenge your well recognized racing expertise. I've read several of the books you've written on the subject...your observations and anaylysis of how higher dyno numbers translate to better time slips are quite astute and anybody who tells you that you're full of $hit will get a piece of my mind.

But seriously, no kidding, you really think that higher horsepower might actually be reflected on the track with faster times?
Old 12-11-2001, 09:54 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Dave B
The Y-pipe adds power at all rpms, most importantly lowend torque. Unfortunately you've got a 2k1 which means you've got a more restrictive emissions system on-boaird and the Y-pipes don't work quite as well as they did on the 95-00 Maximas.

Dave
There is dyno proof that the front precat on the 2k1 and a regular fed 2000 makes no difference in power. The ypipe has the same gains on a 2k1 that it has on a 2k and 95-99.

Old 12-11-2001, 10:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

But seriously, no kidding, you really think that higher horsepower might actually be reflected on the track with faster times?

But seriously, I DON'T think "that higher horse power might actually be reflected on the track with faster times". Higher HP motors sometimes go no faster or even slower and there's lotsa reasons for this but obviously you'll NEED to read one my books to find out why.

Back to the topic at hand, the reason I feel my '02 Maxima will be faster at the track with the mods isn't JUST because it showed a higher peak HP on the dyno. By posting this sort of stuff I was actually trying to contribute to this forum (ie. providing information about how the '02 seems to react differently to similar mods as have been tested on the '01). I have yet to figure out what it is you're trying to contribute, maybe your wit and charm are enough on their own???
Old 12-11-2001, 10:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

But seriously, I DON'T think "that higher horse power might actually be reflected on the track with faster times". Higher HP motors sometimes go no faster or even slower and there's lotsa reasons for this but obviously you'll NEED to read one my books to find out why.
I'll do that. Like I said...I wasn't trying to challenge your knowledge...don't claim any sort of expertise on the subject. I am, however, aware of the variables which can and do contribute to track times and that higher HP won't always better those times. I think its fair to say that two 3200 lbs. Maximas with one having only an intake and y-pipe modification which cause that one of the two to produce approx. 15-20 more HP @ the wheels @ around 6000 RPMs is likely to cause that one car to post better times at the track assuming the intake modification has not significantly impared low-end torque and the 15-20 HP increase does not induce significant wheel spin. I didn't mean to oversimplify, but I obviously was focussing on sarcasm and not mechanics or physics at the time.
By posting this sort of stuff I was actually trying to contribute to this forum (ie. providing information about how the '02 seems to react differently to similar mods as have been tested on the '01). I have yet to figure out what it is you're trying to contribute, maybe your wit and charm are enough on their own???
I'm quite positive my wit and charm are enough. I know that because of my years of experience in delivering wit and charm to the masses.

I know I certainly appreciate your contribution to the forum, no need to be so sensitive about FOUR WORDS. Just keep being your helpful self and I'll try to be less witty and charming around you. Sound okay?
Old 12-11-2001, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

I didn't mean to oversimplify, but I obviously was focussing on sarcasm and not mechanics or physics at the time.
I know I certainly appreciate your contribution to the forum, no need to be so sensitive about FOUR WORDS. Just keep being your helpful self and I'll try to be less witty and charming around you. Sound okay?
Well now I know where you're coming from. The initial "four words" had me confused because I wasn't sure if you even knew about the dyno testing, and the subsequent short post still had me wondering what you were getting at. The idea that a dyno test doesn't necessarily translate to a faster time at the track is certainly something we can agree on, but I think in this particular case it's pretty reasonable to assume the "on paper" results would translate.

You see I can be kinda 'thick' and needed more than "four words" to understand where you were coming from, so in the future, I don't think you need to turn down the wit and charm, but maybe if you see me coming you can provide a few more words of explanation than is normally necessary.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ypipe debate.......???

Well now I know where you're coming from. The initial "four words" had me confused because I wasn't sure if you even knew about the dyno testing, and the subsequent short post still had me wondering what you were getting at. The idea that a dyno test doesn't necessarily translate to a faster time at the track is certainly something we can agree on, but I think in this particular case it's pretty reasonable to assume the "on paper" results would translate.

You see I can be kinda 'thick' and needed more than "four words" to understand where you were coming from, so in the future, I don't think you need to turn down the wit and charm, but maybe if you see me coming you can provide a few more words of explanation than is normally necessary.
Touche.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:01 PM
maxgsxr1

bump

Old 12-13-2001, 09:27 AM

bump
Why?