5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Complete ReLighting/Bulbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Complete ReLighting/Bulbing

Ok guys,Ive been gone for way too long. My search wasnt so great,thats why Im posting... Im sure someone here can just rattle off what Im looking for.

What Im looking at doing is replacing all of my exterior lighting with LEDs where possible. So what I need to know is this....What bulb sizes should I be looking for?? I know I need M14,M7,& M4's cuz I found those packages in the car,but which bulb goes where? And what fits what? Im looking to buy all my stuff ASAP (Today). Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

These are what I need to know -

Tail light
Head Light
Turn Signals
Brake Lights
Reverse Lights
Old 05-16-2010, 10:45 AM

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

Be sure to get the 6ohm resistors/loaders for the rear brakes and rear turns
you will need six over all.

www.superbrightleds.com is a site that many of us use, im sure someone else will suggest other sites to check out as well
Old 05-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by scottygill

www.superbrightleds.com is a site that many of us use, im sure someone else will suggest other sites to check out as well
Are LEDs better than projectors? im dying to change mine, im sick of stock!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gjaa
Are LEDs better than projectors? im dying to change mine, im sick of stock!
are they better then projectors? in what regard? as headlights?

I use http://www.autolumination.com/ for my led bulbs. when it stops raining i will go out and take some pics of my car

Last edited by Nissanx54; 05-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM

http://www.v-leds.com/

They have replacement flasher units too. I think the 3 PIN Japanese unit will work.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Im basically doing what youve done. I got clear tails and now I wanna replace the bulbs with the appropriate colors I appreciate all the info/help so far guys,thank you!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by xx1479
http://www.v-leds.com/

They have replacement flasher units too. I think the 3 PIN Japanese unit will work.
ok, im confused as hell, hwat do i need to get to put LEDs in my headlights? are they just a plug n play kind of deal?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 AM

ok, im confused as hell, hwat do i need to get to put LEDs in my headlights? are they just a plug n play kind of deal?
why would you put LEDs in your headlights?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 AM

LED Hi/Low beams aren't going to work. I don't think they even make LED bulbs for 9003/HB2's and if they do they are only for Fogs. If you want to replace the factory bulbs for something brighter you're going to have to go with a HID kit. Every other light can be replaced with LEDs though. You'll have to tap into your turn signal wire's with resistors to make your turn signals work properly.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 AM

Nissanx54 and xx1497 are right on the money... There arent options available for a proper led headlight setup, get yourself of OEM HIDS, that will open a world of mods up to you as well. In the mean time theres about 15 other bulbs you should think about replacing with LEDS that will not only improve function, but look good too.

LED your clear or side markers, the map lights, dome lights, courtesy door lights, visor lights, tails.... Dont put yourself in a position where your max isnt road worthy because you destroyed headlights in lou of LEDS that arent bright enough or strobe out. I cant imagine the potential org bashing if you do.

Goodluck

Last edited by scottygill; 05-17-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Nissanx54 and xx1497 are right on the money... There arent options available for a proper led headlight setup, get yourself of OEM HIDS, that will open a world of mods up to you as well. In the mean time theres about 15 other bulbs you should think about replacing with LEDS that will not only improve function, but look good too.

LED your clear or side markers, the map lights, dome lights, courtesy door lights, visor lights, tails.... Dont put yourself in a position where your max isnt road worthy because you destroyed headlights in lou of LEDS that arent bright enough or strobe out. I cant imagine the potential org bashing if you do.

Goodluck

thanx for the tips man, i already started doing the other lighthes, did the dome and map bulbs waiting on the courtesy lights and looking for a write up on how to do the switches for the windows and locks.

now question, are HID conversion kits completly legal? could you recomend one i could use?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 AM

If you want bang for your buck then hidextra.com is pretty good. but if you want to spend a fortune you can go OEM. v-leds.com has hid conversion kits also.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

now question, are HID conversion kits completly legal? could you recomend one i could use?
HID kits in a halogen housing is not legal, but people who dont care about blinding oncoming drivers do it anyway.

If you want to do it right, get some 02-03 headlights.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Do the 02-03 housings fit in 00-01's?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do the 02-03 housings fit in 00-01's?
Yes.....there are several write-up on here. Do a little searching and you should find them.

And I believe there are some for sale in the 5th gen classifieds.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 AM

would you or anyone else happen to know what wire coming out of the turn signals is the positive/hot? i am attempting to hook up some arrow signals in my mirrors and i need to hook it up to the turn signals.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM

AUTO- according to this Mitchell OnDemand I'm looking at, the LF turn signal hot is a grn/blk wire, with the RF being grn/yel.

Looks like the grounds aren't tied into the harness at all, they appear to terminate to grounds E22 and E53 at the lf and rf corners of the engine compartment, respectively.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
AUTO- according to this Mitchell OnDemand I'm looking at, the LF turn signal hot is a grn/blk wire, with the RF being grn/yel.

Looks like the grounds aren't tied into the harness at all, they appear to terminate to grounds E22 and E53 at the lf and rf corners of the engine compartment, respectively.
Yea, thats what I thought they were. I asked because everytime I hooked up the mirror signals, it was start melting the wire. Turned out it was because one of the wires coming out of the signals was broken. But I just went ahead and tied into the harness underneath the dash next to the center console. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 PM

LED Hi/Low beams aren't going to work. I don't think they even make LED bulbs for 9003/HB2's and if they do they are only for Fogs. If you want to replace the factory bulbs for something brighter you're going to have to go with a HID kit. Every other light can be replaced with LEDs though. You'll have to tap into your turn signal wire's with resistors to make your turn signals work properly.

I am doing the same thing as some people on here are doing. I am about to put 36 LED 12V bulbs in my tails and all 4 signals, and 5 LED 12V 4W bulbs in my running lights up front. You said to the other guy he would need to put in resistors in the appropriate wires. What size resistors would I need to put to accomidate my LEDs to function normally? Also, can anyone tell me what bulb I need for my fog lights? Is it 9005? I am looking to replace them with some yellow ones, HID if possible, but I can't find what they are.

Last edited by AUTOmobilePHILE; 05-23-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by AUTOmobilePHILE
I am doing the same thing as some people on here are doing. I am about to put 36 LED 12V bulbs in my tails and all 4 signals, and 5 LED 12V 4W bulbs in my running lights up front. You said to the other guy he would need to put in resistors in the appropriate wires. What size resistors would I need to put to accomidate my LEDs to function normally? Also, can anyone tell me what bulb I need for my fog lights? Is it 9005? I am looking to replace them with some yellow ones, HID if possible, but I can't find what they are.
this is where you want to go

thats what i used to figure out what i needed for all my inside lighting im replacing map light, dome light, vanity mirrors and courtesy lights on the doors with LEDs, i have also decided im going with OEM HIDs for my headlights, even though they are more expensive they are completely legal and will improve the way my car will look
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM

this is where you want to go

thats what i used to figure out what i needed for all my inside lighting im replacing map light, dome light, vanity mirrors and courtesy lights on the doors with LEDs, i have also decided im going with OEM HIDs for my headlights, even though they are more expensive they are completely legal and will improve the way my car will look
Yea, I checked it out, but I already looked at that one. They don't show the fog light bulb and I still need that resistor info to anyone.