5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Camry and Accord just got the award for Most Stolen Cars in 2000

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Camry and Accord just got the award for Most Stolen Cars in 2000

Aint that just lovely? I love it........ Since I know me and many others are camry and accord haters.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001...olen_cars.html

What I want to know is I dont know how they are stealing the camry and accords cause I believe they have the same coded keys like we do in our maximas. I mean I know the coded key thing aint the best protection, but to me I dont know how to get around it unless I know the wiring inside out to know how to bypass it.

But even then most aftermarket installers still dont bypass it by splicing two wires, they still use a bypass unit that requires you to keep one of your keys in it.

Interested yet intriguing.

Dixit

Link to Metro areas top ten stolen car lists.
http://www.nicb.org/services/top_stolen_cars2.html
Old 12-11-2001, 03:43 PM

Re: Camry and Accord just got the award for Most Stolen Cars in 2000

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Aint that just lovely? I love it........ Since I know me and many others are camry and accord haters.

What I want to know is I dont know how they are stealing the camry and accords cause I believe they have the same coded keys like we do in our maximas. I mean I know the coded key thing aint the best protection, but to me I dont know how to get around it unless I know the wiring inside out to know how to bypass it.

But even then most aftermarket installers still dont bypass it by splicing two wires, they still use a bypass unit that requires you to keep one of your keys in it.

Dixit

The 1989 Camry has had it for years. Plenty of people I know had much higher insurance rates due to it.

SuDZ
Old 12-11-2001, 04:43 PM

Who'd want to steal a camery
Old 12-11-2001, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by unrealii
Who'd want to steal a camery
Good question....
Old 12-11-2001, 05:38 PM

Maxima #4 representin NYC
Old 12-11-2001, 06:39 PM

The statistics are very misleading though. The numbers are not adjusted for the # of cars of that type registered in that area. For example I drive about 80 miles a day in the Detroit Metropolitan area and I rarely see any Maximas in my drive. I'd take this to mean there aren't that many of them in my area (which I believe to be correct) and sure enough the Maxima isn't even on the list for my area. However if we go to Nassau-Suffolk, NY where I see piles and piles of Maximas everytime I'm out there on business (which is nearly weekly) and viola it's' #3 on the list.

So all we have is the government wasting money to conclude that the cars that sell the best in an area are stolen the most in that area.

No Kidding...

Stereodude
Old 12-11-2001, 07:14 PM

But I still want to know how these fools steal a car with the coded key systems?

I mean I looked at the ESM and it looks impossible to sit there and "hot wire" a bypass for it.

Dixit
Old 12-11-2001, 07:27 PM

Thanks for posting this Big Dog, interesting....i was thinking along the same lines as stereodude. Big Dog maybe some of these cars are stolen by force or maybe they look for keys under the car or somethig. But that can't be all the time. Some car thiefs aren't very smart but i'm sure there are many that have hook ups and then there are the ones that are intelligent and have the know how. Many some of those stats are for older model cars and some of the keys aren't the ones you are taking about the coded ones, reason I say this is because i don't remeber seeing the model year for the cars. But anyways interesting stuff. Thanks again for posting this.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:32 PM

But I still want to know how these fools steal a car with the coded key systems?

I mean I looked at the ESM and it looks impossible to sit there and "hot wire" a bypass for it.

Dixit
Towing truck? I'm interested what they done to those cars afterwards since it's impossible to start the engine without replacing/reprogramming ECU. May be, they got hands on Consult-like equipment to do just that.

Mike.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Max_5gen

Towing truck? I'm interested what they done to those cars afterwards since it's impossible to start the engine without replacing/reprogramming ECU. May be, they got hands on Consult-like equipment to do just that.

Mike.
See I dont believe that consult-ii program program or anything like it can do it.

I am looking clearly at the ESM and spent over 1hr on it and as far as I am concerned their is no way to bypass it, otherwise if there way, most aftermarket alarm installers would chose that method instead of buying a bypass unit and having to install a key in there permanently for a remote-start system.

But then again, I heard on the local DC forum that someone's 2000 Lexus GS300 got stolen, that also has a "coded key" system. So I dont know how that happened.

Dixit
Old 12-11-2001, 10:29 PM

I'm not amused by that poll!
Old 12-12-2001, 03:32 AM

maxima is #10 in D.C.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:24 AM

See I dont believe that consult-ii program program or anything like it can do it.

I am looking clearly at the ESM and spent over 1hr on it and as far as I am concerned their is no way to bypass it, otherwise if there way, most aftermarket alarm installers would chose that method instead of buying a bypass unit and having to install a key in there permanently for a remote-start system.

But then again, I heard on the local DC forum that someone's 2000 Lexus GS300 got stolen, that also has a "coded key" system. So I dont know how that happened.

Dixit
The only way to steal most modern luxury cars is to just flatbed them away. Then you've got time to work on whatever you like. After that, God knows what they do, they probably end up stripping them for parts.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:52 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Dixit

To a thief a whole car being parted out and sold for parts he or she can make 4X the amount rather than selling the car as 1 piece. Since the Accord and Camry are "popular" and really haven't changed body styles in a while the parts are interchangable.
Body shops this way can save alot of money when billing the insurance company for a brand new part.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:49 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Yeaaa!!!

Accord and Camry are #1...woot woot woot.

My parents drive Camry's and I drive an Accord!!

Wait, most stolen!?!? Oh, that's bad isn't it!!!

Old 12-12-2001, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Yeaaa!!!

Accord and Camry are #1...woot woot woot.

My parents drive Camry's and I drive an Accord!!

Wait, most stolen!?!? Oh, that's bad isn't it!!!

remind me to keep parking next to camry and accords
Old 12-12-2001, 10:10 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=84121
Old 12-12-2001, 11:35 AM

No no, you can't do that. If all us Maxima owners keep parking next to
Camry and Accords, then Maxima will become the #1 stolen car....

Originally posted by SprintMax
remind me to keep parking next to camry and accords
Old 12-12-2001, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
maxima is #10 in D.C.
Whoaa..... You in DC too???

But it being #10 has to be the 4th gen and older cars, cant be the new 5th gen, if it, i wanna see how they are stealing it.

Dixit
Old 12-12-2001, 04:10 PM

Speaking of keys under cars

It's funny that you say that about keys under cars. The other night I followed a car that clearly had keys hanging on a wire underneath it.Hehe, my lights were reflecting off of them and stuff. I wonder if I had rolled the windows down if I could of heard them?

Originally posted by Menacer
Thanks for posting this Big Dog, interesting....i was thinking along the same lines as stereodude. Big Dog maybe some of these cars are stolen by force or maybe they look for keys under the car or somethig. But that can't be all the time. Some car thiefs aren't very smart but i'm sure there are many that have hook ups and then there are the ones that are intelligent and have the know how. Many some of those stats are for older model cars and some of the keys aren't the ones you are taking about the coded ones, reason I say this is because i don't remeber seeing the model year for the cars. But anyways interesting stuff. Thanks again for posting this.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:30 PM

The article says it's from a study for the year 2000. I don't know when Toyota and Honda began using computerized keys, but I don't think Nissan started it until the 2000 model year, right?

The article says: "The 1989 Camry led the way for the fourth year in a row, followed by 1990, 1991 and 1988 versions. Honda's 1994, 1996, 1990 and 1995 Accords placed fifth, sixth, eighth and tenth, respectively."

I'm guessing the chip-ignition system wasn't in place for those model years. I don't know this for a fact, however.

...not that our's are invulnerable though. I'm sure professional rings use tow trucks and crooked valets to get em. But at least we'll keep the amateurs from grabbing em.