5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Runs rough in humidity.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 PM

Runs rough in humidity.

During really hot and humid days in Northern Virginia, Max runs rough. When you turn her on, she sounds angry and has a high and rough idle. When driving, she is nearly powerless (you can floor it and go basically no where). Also, when stopped and I throw the car into neutral, the car will have a high idle again and as soon as you through it in drive (auto) it jerks. My brother's 4Runners jerk every time but they're built so "tough" or something...whatever that garbage they sell is. But my Max has never disappointed me really until this summer.

Also, the A/C wimps out when it's humid out. Full blass, full car air, Max A/C with all the vents opened and you're still sweating because it refuses to get cold, but it's generally better on not so hot and humid days.

So that's just a tidbit of information. Also, the car is a automatic and had a MAF replaced at 150k. The car has 173k on it now and is due for an oil change which will happen next weekend.

Currently in Nags Head, NC. Any locals around? Just curious.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 AM

No cel codes? maybe plugs,coils,maf,cheap gas or low octane...maybe A\C needs recharge...shes angry at you
Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 AM

You may have a seized AC compressor or a worn out bearing on the AC compressor. This may be why your AC seems like its not really getting cold and your idle is higher/ lost of power. Your engine is pretty much trying to fight with the pulley on the compressor. Your car is pretty high up there in miles. Was the AC compressor ever replaced? The same thing happend to my brother's gf's 2 year old Mazda CX-7. Car was way low on power and very rough idle. However on her car the compressor was covered under warranty. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
No cel codes? maybe plugs,coils,maf,cheap gas or low octane...maybe A\C needs recharge...shes angry at you
No CEL codes, no. The MAF was replaced 20k miles ago, I use 93 octane premium gas from Shell so I use what it asks for. A/C gets cold sometimes and sometimes not, so I may give it a recharge but that wouldn't explain the loss of power?

Originally Posted by Chanimal117
You may have a seized AC compressor or a worn out bearing on the AC compressor. This may be why your AC seems like its not really getting cold and your idle is higher/ lost of power. Your engine is pretty much trying to fight with the pulley on the compressor. Your car is pretty high up there in miles. Was the AC compressor ever replaced? The same thing happend to my brother's gf's 2 year old Mazda CX-7. Car was way low on power and very rough idle. However on her car the compressor was covered under warranty. Good luck!
The AC compressor was never replaced so I'm starting to think this may be it. When the A/C is on, I can hear a squealing spinning noise which I would assume would be related to the pulley on the compressor. Yes, my baby is wracking up the miles.

Sucks about the Mazda though, but that's why I'm staying in the Nissan family. I may eventually venture out to a VW though...
Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 PM

you might have water in the fuel many times gas stations mix the fuel .They always put ethanol in the fuel which doesnt help.You should get a bottle of dry gas and a octane additive, should help.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:36 PM

MAF sensor defective and on its way out
Old 07-04-2010, 01:56 PM

What has changed since say last summer when it was fine?

My dads 2K exhibits none of these symptoms.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:51 PM

unplug it and run it with the MAF disconnected, the idle will even out & you just won't pass 2500 rpm
Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 PM

The no power issue sounds like a clogged catalytic converter - especially with that mileage.

As for the A/C - check for seizing and check the low/high pressures... (you many need a shop for that).
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM

It also sometimes has a hot plastic burning smell which I heard can be the AC compressor on it's way out, so when I get back in town (in Atlanta right now, thank God) I'll go see if it throws any codes. Also, the MAF was replaced about 20 thousand miles ago, so I don't think it's the MAF to be completely honest with you. I don't think they're that crappy...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Also, here's a quick update: The A/C still has it's normal problems, won't get that cold, etc. but it doesn't smell like plastic anymore.

But here's my question: When it's rainy or stormy out, the car drives like absolute crap. Worse then ever. You push the gas and it literally hesitates for a second to do anything, then goes and jerks and makes very, very rough shifts. It even does this at operating temperature.

BUT when it's perfectly dry outside, on a nice sunny day, the car runs like I just drove it off the lot.

There's been talk about a bad AC Compressor, but could this be a source to my problem? I don't know why an AC Compressor would be relevant though, because it happens when all air is off.

Any ideas? I love the car, but it makes me mad certain days.

sidenote: I rode around in a Mercedes ML350 for ten days, fully loaded, got back in my stock Max and couldn't have fallen anymore in love over again with my Maxima. Maxima > Mercedes hahah.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 AM

when was th last time you changed the tranny fluid or gave it some maintence
Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 AM

MAF sensor dude!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 AM

throttle body needs a clean and your ac needs topping up.............
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
when was th last time you changed the tranny fluid or gave it some maintence
As for the tranny fluid, I have no idea when it was last changed. And it's taken very well care of oil and filter wise, but other than tranny fluid, what other maintenance do you have in mind?

Originally Posted by CMax03
MAF sensor dude!
DUDE! Like I've mentioned multiple times, it was replaced about 20k miles ago (or around then), I know they tend to suck but not that badly.

Originally Posted by bob-lee
throttle body needs a clean and your ac needs topping up.............

I will be recharging the AC this weekend or so. What do you recommend as far as the throttle body?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 AM

Hope you find your problem!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Here is my advice...and I hope you at least read and follow. It doesn't seem like you really want to do the work on your own because a number of people have posted great advice already on the issue(s).

1. A/C compressor needs to be checked for a bad bearing. After reading through the posts I am betting this is your issue with the A/C. Get this fixed first because it can be causing your power loss problem too (as noted in another post).

2. Pull MAF and air temperature sensor (right before MAF), inspect and clean both. There is a thread on how to clean your MAF without screwing it up. Clean your throttle body while you are at it as well.

3. Pull your ignition coils and plugs. Check for any signs of wear or corrosion. Change plugs if you haven't changed them in a while and make sure you use some dielectric grease on the tip of the plug connecting to the ignition coil. The grease will help keep moisture out. Of course, use anti-seize lubricant on the threads of your plugs.

4. Check battery connections and grounds and clean as necessary.

If you still have issues after this pull your exhaust and check for a clog in any of the cats. However, based on how you say it runs on a warm, dry day I doubt this is the issue.

If you don't want to do all of this either take your car to the shop or sell it. Don't post more without doing some actual, investigative work. We can only presume so much as to what is going on without you putting your hands on the car, or having a mechanic work on it.