5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Diesal fuel in my engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:28 PM

Diesal fuel in my engine!!!

yeh im dumb, i kno, so i put 4 gallons of diesal fuel into my engine when it was on empty, i started it and went down the road for about 30 seconds and it died. what do you guys suggest i do?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 PM

I'm not a mechanic, but that sounds like an expensive mistake.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by carrottop
yeh im dumb, i kno, so i put 4 gallons of diesal fuel into my engine when it was on empty, i started it and went down the road for about 30 seconds and it died. what do you guys suggest i do?
Ok, where to start...

Drop the tank, get it cleaned. replace ALL of the rubber hoses from tank to the fuel rails. Pull and flush the fuel rails. Replace any components from tank to fuel rails. Replace your fuel injectors. Pull you spark plugs - get a vacuum and a custom hose - suction out all of the cylinders.

Once you have all of that done - your engine should be able to start - it may run rough for a bit if you have any diesel left in the system, put some 104+ octane in a 1/2 tank of fuel and run it out.

You may want to SeaFoam your Maxima too.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:46 PM

you might be able to just drain the tank and refill with gas. there should be an attachment near the fuel rail to depressurize the fuel system, drain it from there.

consult a mechanic.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM

How?

At least where I live, the pumps are different sizes and you can't do it... It's possible, if you try to put the nozzle in, realize it doesn't fit, but squeeze the trigger anyways. Other than that it's not possible.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
How?

At least where I live, the pumps are different sizes and you can't do it... It's possible, if you try to put the nozzle in, realize it doesn't fit, but squeeze the trigger anyways. Other than that it's not possible.
lol craigse, the pumps were different sizes, and yes i did squeeze anyways. call me an idiot, i kno. i need help !!!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Damn Buddy...
Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
you might be able to just drain the tank and refill with gas. there should be an attachment near the fuel rail to depressurize the fuel system, drain it from there.

consult a mechanic.
The diesel will have gunked up everything from fuel pump to injectors - a mechanic will charge him over $1200, and probably won't do a good job on it. Just follow what I said and you'll save your engine and you money.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Why not try to simply drain it first? Diesel is not glue, its a thin fuel just like gasoline.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:17 AM

smhhh ... y?? lol
Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 AM

Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
Ok, where to start...

Drop the tank, get it cleaned. replace ALL of the rubber hoses from tank to the fuel rails. Pull and flush the fuel rails. Replace any components from tank to fuel rails. Replace your fuel injectors. Pull you spark plugs - get a vacuum and a custom hose - suction out all of the cylinders.
Why are you saying to change all the rubber hoses?
Why are you saying to change fuel injectors?
What are you hoping to suction out of the cylinders?

If you're thinking that there's fuel in the cylinders....you'd better specify an explosion proof vacuum, since most draw air (and fumes) right over the electric motor.

"Guy folllows advice given on Internet, blows self, car, and garage sky high".
Old 07-04-2010, 06:08 AM

The diesel will have gunked up everything from fuel pump to injectors - a mechanic will charge him over $1200, and probably won't do a good job on it. Just follow what I said and you'll save your engine and you money.
It's Diesel, not bunker.

Diesel fuel runs through finer injectors all day, everyday.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Unklejoe
Why not try to simply drain it first? Diesel is not glue, its a thin fuel just like gasoline.

This.

To the OP: You aren't the first person that has done this. Go to a halfway decent mechanic, and explain what happened.

They'll probably drain the tank, fill with gas, and jumper the fuel pump to flush the lines and rail.

Done.

Last edited by SteveB123; 07-04-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
This.

To the OP: You aren't the first person that has done this. Go to a halfway decent mechanic, and explain what happened.

They'll probably drain the tank, fill with gas, and jumper the fuel pump to flush the lines and rail.

Done.
Ditto.

I've seen people that have done this before.

Drop the tank and drain it. Fill with Premium.

Disconnect at fuel rails and run fuel pump until everything is flushed.

All the rubber should be fine. Diesel is a clean distillate.

Injectors for diesels are not all that much different. Once it starts it will run rough for a good while, but should eventually clear up.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Bad *** Newb

+1 million to flushing it.

I'd only be worried if you had a diesel engine and filled her up with gas haha.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 AM

can anyone explain how to actually drain the tank? the tow truck driver said there should be a plug on the gas tank where i could just drain it and then to add normal gas and it would dilute it.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 AM

Ok, where to start...

Once you have all of that done - your engine should be able to start - it may run rough for a bit if you have any diesel left in the system, put some 104+ octane in a 1/2 tank of fuel and run it out.

This is entirely excessive, it's diesel fuel not the bubonic plague. Also, gasoline is a great solvent for diesel fuel.

I don't know how easily this method can be replicated with the Maxima, but I've helped/seen it performed on dozens of other makes/models.

1) Open fuel rail bleed port, or disconnect fuel supply line to fuel rail.
2) Connect a hose to connect rail or supply line to a drain container.
3) 'Jump the pump' to drain the tank - sometime a simple key on, sometimes wiring around a relay.
4) Once empty, stop the pump and put in 2 gallons of gasoline (don't let the pump run dry for too long).
5) Repeat step 3, 4 & 5 (for a total of two flushes).
6) Fill with a few gallons, undo plumbing and electrical system changes and start the engine (everything should be fine).
7) Dispose of slop gasoline/diesel fuel.
8) Sit back and be proud of you accomplishments, have 1-3 beers.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 AM

can anyone explain how to actually drain the tank? the tow truck driver said there should be a plug on the gas tank where i could just drain it and then to add normal gas and it would dilute it.
Few modern plastic tanks have any drain provisions. Typically they must be accessed from the fuel pump assembly aperture. To reach the pump opening some vehicles have access panels in the passenger compartment (like the Maxima) so the tank does not need be removed.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow
7) Dispose of slop gasoline/diesel fuel.
That's probably the trickiest part right there. If this is done in his driveway, he'll have 10 or more gallons of Diesel/gas mix to get rid of.

You don't just pour that stuff down the drain.

Tank pump out will be through the fuel pump bung, btw.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by SteveB123
That's probably the trickiest part right there. If this is done in his driveway, he'll have 10 or more gallons of Diesel/gas mix to get rid of.

You don't just pour that stuff down the drain.

Tank pump out will be through the fuel pump bung, btw.
BBQ time!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Just pour the old fuel down the toilet.

JK
Old 07-04-2010, 08:07 AM

This nearly exact same situation was actually on Car Talk last week. A woman called in who did the same thing, accidentally put in about 6 gallons of diesel into her van when she was on empty. They said that since it was a small amount of diesel and since the car died after such a short time she could take it to a reputable mechanic and have the tank flushed and everything cleared out for about 200-400 dollars. I'm sure you could probably get away with spending about the same for the fix.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:36 PM

If time is money, how much time would it cost you to do all this yourself? I had a friend do this, took it to his mechanic, $200 bucks later he was rolling again...
Old 07-04-2010, 03:15 PM

had my buddy take off the gas tank and drain it and put it back on, in the process he snapped the old fuel pumps top connectors so now i need a new one. does anyone know if nissan should be open tommorow monday july 5th?
Old 07-04-2010, 06:35 PM

had my buddy take off the gas tank and drain it and put it back on, in the process he snapped the old fuel pumps top connectors so now i need a new one. does anyone know if nissan should be open tommorow monday july 5th?

Nissan...? Japan? Yeah, probably.

A local franchised dealer? Call and find out.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Get Off My Lawn

wow.

Just be calm and indicate your getting estimates to get it fixed. If you go in panicking and excited..they'll double the price. You tell them you did it, they'll laugh at you, triple the cost, then laugh some more.

If you tell them your Mamaw did it borrowing your car to get groceries, they may cut the price in half.

Food for thought.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24 PM

You might end up having some catalytic converter problems once you get things up and running. Hopefully not but something to watch for
Old 07-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Ok, where to start...

jeez bud, i think he said he put diesel fuel in his tank, not glue. last time i heard someone put diesel fuel in there tank, we just dropped the tank and emptied it out and refueled it with gas and then put it back in.
then we used a can of starter fluid to try and get it started again and after about 1/2 hour of cranking and dying, the car came to life again.
granted this was on a Dodge Neon, i dont think the procedure changes on a max.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by xponential
I'm not a mechanic, but that sounds like an expensive mistake.
Damn Skippy!!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM

should i get an oil change 2 before i try and start the car? a buddy at work told me some of the diesel mite of mixed with the oil in my engine...also, why is nissan trying to charge me 250$ for a fuel pump and autozone only charges 85$
Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM

This video may help. It's not a Maxima, but the principles should be the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTlZIId4cI
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM

:superfacepalm:
Old 07-06-2010, 03:51 PM

*anxiously awaits for SoonerFan's response*
Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM

should i get an oil change 2 before i try and start the car? a buddy at work told me some of the diesel mite of mixed with the oil in my engine...also, why is nissan trying to charge me 250$ for a fuel pump and autozone only charges 85$
Are these serious questions?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Man why would your gas ever mix with your oil this is not a lawnmower. Second of course nissan is charging you more because you are getting an oem fuel pump not an aftermarket remake that autozone sells.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Are these serious questions?
very serious im a noob, i need help, plz explain
Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM

a buddy at work

No.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM

very serious im a noob, i need help, plz explain
Try to use your own head and learn how your own car works, it'll help you save a bunch in a long run. 80% of responses you got so far came from people who are just as noob as yourself but won't ever admit it. So you still have a hope . Nothing is wrong with your car at the moment except some idiot (oops - buddy, sorry) managed to break your pump already. Post #18 actually gave you instructions what to do if you wanted to take cautious route.

I actually wonder if you just went ahead and filled the rest with Premium and burn it through the engine - would it work? 4 gallons is only about 10% of the entire tank, should work just fine IMHO. This is of course after you bleed the fuel system from the diesel fuel which went there already by running pump for a minute or so.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
4 gallons is only about 10% of the entire tank, should work just fine IMHO.
Whoa, whered you get a 40 gallon tank!? Last time i filled up it was 16 gallons making 4 gallons 25%.

Id advise against diluting

Quick Reply: Diesal fuel in my engine!!!