5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dropping RPMS???? Help Me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dropping RPMS???? Help Me!!!

Help Me Guys!

lately I've been getting every now and then rough idles in the morning, or after I haven't started the car for a while. Basically I start the car, rpm is at like 1100, then it will start to drop to like 100 like its about to stall, then it just jumps back up to normal.. Weird ehh?? Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2001, 12:37 PM
JET Speed Lab

Old 12-13-2001, 01:18 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well...

its pretty simple. if its about 30 seconds after start, thats ECU adjusting the fuel/air/idle. matter of fact, if you take off right away (cold) your car will stumble for a split second if under a load (like a hill).

100 RPM seems really low, mine falls to 300-500 for a 1/2 sec, then comes back up. My solution is to drive after that since youre supposed to wait til the car is alittle warm anyway - its only like 30-45 secs.... if you wait til that stepdown, at least you arent trying to drive on a cold super-rich engine... just a cold one
Old 12-13-2001, 01:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Dropping RPMS???? Help Me!!!

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
Help Me Guys!

lately I've been getting every now and then rough idles in the morning, or after I haven't started the car for a while. Basically I start the car, rpm is at like 1100, then it will start to drop to like 100 like its about to stall, then it just jumps back up to normal.. Weird ehh?? Any ideas?
well..check your idle speed controller first, and then check for possible vacumn leaks
Old 12-13-2001, 01:46 PM
Administrator

I guess the 5th Gen forum only has ****** huh?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=5thgenwhores

Old 12-13-2001, 04:00 PM

Me Too!!

My car has been doing this now for some time and I have checked everything out and I can't seem to figure out what it is. I actually had the car die on me twice. It even did it after warming up, one time I was at a red light and the car just died when I came to a complete stop. So I recranked it and everyting seemed fine and then it did it again at the next light but it hasn't done it since. I don't know what it is but if you figure it out PLEASE let me know because I am tired of wondering if my car is going to stay cranked.
Old 12-13-2001, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Re: Me Too!!

Originally posted by nvmymax2
My car has been doing this now for some time and I have checked everything out and I can't seem to figure out what it is. I actually had the car die on me twice. It even did it after warming up, one time I was at a red light and the car just died when I came to a complete stop. So I recranked it and everyting seemed fine and then it did it again at the next light but it hasn't done it since. I don't know what it is but if you figure it out PLEASE let me know because I am tired of wondering if my car is going to stay cranked.
did you do everything in that link i posted above?
Old 12-14-2001, 06:35 AM

Re: Re: Me Too!!

Originally posted by SprintMax
did you do everything in that link i posted above?
I think I'm gonna order a MAF from David B. and replace mines. I notice all this bad !!@$%@ happening after I installed my PR Cai. SES Light, Bas Gas Milage, Idle Probs, not as much oomf off the line... Sounds about right???
Old 12-14-2001, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Me Too!!

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I think I'm gonna order a MAF from David B. and replace mines. I notice all this bad !!@$%@ happening after I installed my PR Cai. SES Light, Bas Gas Milage, Idle Probs, not as much oomf off the line... Sounds about right???
yes.. or maybe you have oil on your MAFS.. try to clean it off first.. i think its the screen you clean.. with a little TB cleaner.. try that before you buy a new MAFS
Old 12-14-2001, 08:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Me Too!!

Originally posted by SprintMax
yes.. or maybe you have oil on your MAFS.. try to clean it off first.. i think its the screen you clean.. with a little TB cleaner.. try that before you buy a new MAFS
Yeah sounds like a good idea.. I'm gonna take apart my cai from the tb and clean the MAF... I hope this will cure my ills...
Old 12-14-2001, 04:22 PM

Thanks Sprint, BUT...

here is where I stand on my problem. I have cleaned the MAFS and changed the plugs and this seemed to help. I haven't had the stalling problem since, but I do have a check engine light on and it has been on since the night that I installed the PRCAI. I ran the codes and it came back as the MAP/Barometric sensor?%#! So I replaced this sensor and I still have the light with the same code. My nissan dealership is unwilling to work with me so I am on my own. If you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Also I adjusted the TPS for my ZEX when I first installed it and I had a few problems so I tried setting it back as close as I could to its stock voltage setting. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-14-2001, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Re: Thanks Sprint, BUT...

i am surprised you have tapped a very valuable resource close to you.. MardigrasMatt.. Matt knows his stuff.. but at this point i am not sure what your problem is.. but if i find out anythign i will let you know.. i will check the 5th Gen Service manual later and let you knwo what i find...

here is where I stand on my problem. I have cleaned the MAFS and changed the plugs and this seemed to help. I haven't had the stalling problem since, but I do have a check engine light on and it has been on since the night that I installed the PRCAI. I ran the codes and it came back as the MAP/Barometric sensor?%#! So I replaced this sensor and I still have the light with the same code. My nissan dealership is unwilling to work with me so I am on my own. If you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Also I adjusted the TPS for my ZEX when I first installed it and I had a few problems so I tried setting it back as close as I could to its stock voltage setting. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-14-2001, 04:31 PM

Matt..

I have talked to Matt before but we have not really ever had time to try and disect the problem. He has looked over it with me and we came up empty handed. Thanks for your help, I have had this problem for almost a year now.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Re: Matt..

I have talked to Matt before but we have not really ever had time to try and disect the problem. He has looked over it with me and we came up empty handed. Thanks for your help, I have had this problem for almost a year now.
check pm's ..maybe you can look over the 5th gen manual and find something..i couldn't find anything
Old 12-14-2001, 05:17 PM
Got Bent?

you get a code for the MAP sensor? That is wierd... thats the sensor that is bolted right on to the stock air intake scoop.... it just sits out there and it doesn't really need to be in any specific place... as long as it's hooked up ok, that's all the really should matter
Old 12-14-2001, 05:27 PM

That is what I thought ...

I replaced the sensor, the hose running to it and everything that had to do with it and it still is tripping a code in the ecu.
Old 12-14-2001, 05:36 PM
Got Bent?

have you tried going back to the stock air intake setup and then resetting the ECU to see what happens?