5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I've been in touch with Terry from zeetoyz. Since he lives so close we are going to test fit the 03 z caps on my car. I'll keep you posted
If I lived in the same town as this guy, I'd be doing the same thing. It's a good opportunity, getting a hands-on opinion about something, instead of just pictures on the inter-webs.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Toolie

Hopefully I will have time wednesday morning to meet him. I have a few things to do but if time permits I will meet and take a few pics
Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 PM

i got sumtin instore for you guys soon... i might do it soon or in the spring...my bay will look like new
Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
i got sumtin instore for you guys soon... i might do it soon or in the spring...my bay will look like new
Well tell us what it is!!! Don't leave us hangin' like that!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 AM

^^^ loll i cant that wuld ruin the surprise...and no it doesnt consist of takin my motor out and cleaning it or anything like that
Old 10-13-2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
^^^ loll i cant that wuld ruin the surprise...and no it doesnt consist of takin my motor out and cleaning it or anything like that
Ruin the surprise? You think you're the first person to glue Justice League action figures to your engine cover?

I don't think so.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

BTW John, DressUpBolts does sell the M8 master cylinder nuts which do happen to be 1.25 pitch in different types of colors. I went ahead and ordered gold. I also ordered new fender bolts (stainless Allen with black plastic washers).
Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
BTW John, DressUpBolts does sell the M8 master cylinder nuts which do happen to be 1.25 pitch in different types of colors. I went ahead and ordered gold. I also ordered new fender bolts (stainless Allen with black plastic washers).
I believe the main Negative Cable is bolted to a tranny bracket with a M8 Nut, as is one of the main water pipes to the engine on the transmission side. But with all your turbo hardware, you might not be seeing the tranny-side of the block.

How about replacing the three M8 bolts on your VIAS plate to match the DressUpBolts.com hardware?

Black plastic washers? Show me.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-13-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM

This is probably the first and last time I'll ever be in a position to say this, but I just painted my dipstick.

Krylon semi-gloss black for plastics. Very stealth now, and one less thing yellow.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
I believe the main Negative Cable is bolted to a tranny bracket with a M8 Nut, as is one of the main water pipes to the engine on the transmission side. But with all your turbo hardware, you might not be seeing the tranny-side of the block.

How about replacing the three M8 bolts on your VIAS plate to match the DressUpBolts.com hardware?

Black plastic washers? Show me.
Yeah. The main water pipe and neg. cable nuts are buried and not worth my time replacing them. I can barely see them. I actually like the look of the stainless bolts on the VIAS. I will show you why later.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

This is probably the first and last time I'll ever be in a position to say this, but I just painted my dipstick.

Krylon semi-gloss black for plastics. Very stealth now, and one less thing yellow.
Join the club. I have my dipstick painted as well. Black that is
Old 10-13-2010, 05:25 PM

I just did a bunch of engine cleaning today... man it's hard to keep that thing clean when it's a daily driver! I tried some steel wool on the timing chain cover area (I think). It isn't perfect, but looks better now. And I cleaned my front valve cover as much as possible. Then I did that throttle body wire thing that you did Rochester, with new wire loom. Ran it directly under the engine cover. Relocated the wire that's mounted to the passenger strut tower and filled the holes with some black plastic hole plugs.

Every time I look at that engine bay, I am overwhelmed with the crazy amount of things I could do to it to make it look better. I guess an 8 year old DD will show some oxidation/rust/wear pretty much everywhere. I'm not gonna stress if it's not perfect (which it is FAR from). Oxidized pipes and rusted bolts are just a part of life I guess
Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Then I did that throttle body wire thing that you did Rochester, with new wire loom. Ran it directly under the engine cover. Relocated the wire that's mounted to the passenger strut tower and filled the holes with some black plastic hole plugs.
You're talking about that tuck thread. Yeah, that was fun stuff.

Originally Posted by jowo9
Every time I look at that engine bay, I am overwhelmed with the crazy amount of things I could do to it to make it look better. I guess an 8 year old DD will show some oxidation/rust/wear pretty much everywhere. I'm not gonna stress if it's not perfect (which it is FAR from). Oxidized pipes and rusted bolts are just a part of life I guess
Sounds familiar. It wasn't until this summer that I got this nuts about detailing the engine bay, and it wasn't until this thread. Sure, I had done a few things almost unintentionally, but nothing like recent efforts.

So, anyway, I blame you, jowo9. It's all your fault.

Oh, and I want pictures. Let's see this work.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-13-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Now those sure are purrrrdy looking bolts
Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 AM

Join the club. I have my dipstick painted as well. Black that is
I'd take a photo, but the front IVT sensor and front VC bolts are all seriously corroded. Still trying to figure out what to do about the VC bolts.

And besides... it's a dipstick.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd take a photo, but the front IVT sensor and front VC bolts are all seriously corroded. Still trying to figure out what to do about the VC bolts.

And besides... it's a dipstick.
Its alright John.....we really dont need pictures of your dipstick.....
Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 AM
You embarrass me.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max
Uh oh. That reads like a double-dog dare.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Man, trying to plug all the holes in the engine bay is a task in itself. Going to need tons of different size hole plugs. They do make a difference though.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Go ahead and ask him about his **** maybe you can get him to post pics of that too hehe. I heard it's getting a bit worn down

(sorry John, couldn't resist)

Last edited by jowo9; 10-14-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Man, trying to plug all the holes in the engine bay is a task in itself. Going to need tons of different size hole plugs. They do make a difference though.
Maybe you could use Rochester's dipstick to plug your holes?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM

sorry John.......that one was waaaayyyyy too easy.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM
You embarrass me.

Okay, this is where I leave the conference room.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 AM

I know, I know... dipsticks, shift ***** and hole plugs.

The jokes write themselves.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Toolie

Well, I met with Terry from zeetoyz today. The weather sucked but we were able to test fit a few things.
His washer cap fits as a replacement. The coolant reservoir is a little tight but not a problem in my book. The power steering cap he makes fits over the existing cap. You have to trim the tabs, but. That is how it works on the z as well to keep the seal.
He also makes an aluminum cover for the dipstick. He also has aluminum caps for the a/c lines.
We are meeting again tomorrow to test fit the brake and clutch caps. Oh, and he makes a really cool oil cap.
You can get polished, or anodized red or blue. You can check the www.zeetoyz.com website to seehis work. He will make sets for us without the z logo.
If anyone is interested in a set, I will start a g
auging interest thread and see if can get enoug
h guys to get a discount. Right now the washer,coolant and power steering caps go for 60 US.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Toolie

i forgot to mention that I'll be taking pix of everything on my car tomorrow. All colors.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-14-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM

I prefer a nicer lipstick shade than black...too Goth for me.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Maybe you could use Rochester's dipstick to plug your holes?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Well, I met with Terry from zeetoyz today. The weather sucked but we were able to test fit a few things.
His washer cap fits as a replacement. The coolant reservoir is a little tight but not a problem in my book. The power steering cap he makes fits over the existing cap. You have to trim the tabs, but. That is how it works on the z as well to keep the seal.
He also makes an aluminum cover for the dipstick. He also has aluminum caps for the a/c lines.
We are meeting again tomorrow to test fit the brake and clutch caps. Oh, and he makes a really cool oil cap.
You can get polished, or anodized red or blue. You can check the www.zeetoyz.com website to seehis work. He will make sets for us without the z logo.
If anyone is interested in a set, I will start a g
auging interest thread and see if can get enoug
h guys to get a discount. Right now the washer,coolant and power steering caps go for 60 US.
Does he have anything for the power steering reservoir? Other than the normal ugly chrome reservoirs that are all over E-bay?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Toolie

Just the caps AFAIK

Does he have anything for the power steering reservoir? Other than the normal ugly chrome reservoirs that are all over E-bay?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Toolie

As promised, I met with Terry again today. Good news!! All his caps fit. I'll post pics when I get home tonight. I took pics with oil cap, coolant, washer, PS, brake, clutch, and oil dipstick cover. He had a full set of blue minus the clutch cap. Also took pictures with red for PS, washer and coolant caps only. He didn't have the other caps in red.

Who needs one of my intakes? Knight needs some blue caps lol

Forgot to mention he also has LP and HP a/c caps

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Who needs one of my intakes? Knight needs some blue caps lol
For those lurking in this thread and don't know what you're talking about... let's see pictures and prices for these mid-pipes you're selling.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

For those lurking in this thread and don't know what you're talking about... let's see pictures and prices for these mid-pipes you're selling.
Yeah, that'd be nice. I'm getting a JWT Pop, but am still debating whether or not I want a midpipe, or to leave the stock Helmholtz resonator in place. So... many... decisions!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Toolie

Ok, here are the pics of the caps installed on my car...For those with crappy monitors the color is almost identical to an 03 350Z

here are the red caps, he didn't have a full set on hand but you get the idea...

And here is a closeup of the dipstick cover in polished aluminum

Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Toolie

Here is my short ram midpipe installed on another Maxima with an AEM dryflow filter

Here is my extra short ram for those who want to run a pop charger with a little more tube, or want to run an aftermarket velocity stack from BPI or Vibrant

I don't have any installed pics for the 3.0 engine, but I make them for those guys as well

Pipes are 70 shipped from Canada. Wish I could go lower but it costs over 20 to ship these things.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-15-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Toolie

I'll be selling my greddy oil cap and buying everything this guy has for my car. I didn't take any pics of the A/C caps but hopefully when we work out a price for the whole set he'll have a few made up. I love the oil cap, it is easier to get undone, and no logo to get crooked.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:21 AM

I like the oil cap insert, because I like the uniform look. And I think I like the dipstick cover, but I'm not sure. As to the plastic caps, the only one that's appealing to me is the washer fluid cover. The others seem somewhat bulbous.

IDK, Ray... there's something unnecessarily obvious about drawing attention to reservoir caps... which is why I'm going OEM black instead of this hideous yellow. However, it does all match nicely, what with the blue nuts & bolts you've been buying. And once you get your engine bay cleaned up, I'm sure it will all come together nicely.

After you buy your caps, I'd like to see more photos of this aluminum dipstick cover, please.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-16-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Toolie

remove the Z cutout

It's a two piece cover, has a "top" and a "bottom" which screw together

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-16-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Toolie

I like the oil cap insert, because I like the uniform look. And I think I like the dipstick cover, but I'm not sure. As to the plastic caps, the only one that's appealing to me is the washer fluid cover. The others seem somewhat bulbous.

IDK, Ray... there's something unnecessarily obvious about drawing attention to reservoir caps... which is why I'm going OEM black instead of this hideous yellow. However, it does all match nicely, what with the blue nuts & bolts you've been buying. And once you get your engine bay cleaned up, I'm sure it will all come together nicely.

After you buy your caps, I'd like to see more photos of this aluminum dipstick cover, please.
I don't think the caps will look as obvious once I get all the hoses swapped to blue. But we shall see. If the weather would stay nice up here for a few hours I could finish off all my pipes so I can get around to installing everything.

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)