5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen & 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 08:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5th Gen & 4th Gen

This is what I don't understand.
why people are saying 5th Gen(2000-2001) maximas are slower than 4th gen?? doesn't 2000-20001 maximas have more hp?? at least that's what i thought, cuz i know car manufacturers are always trying to make cars go faster right??!!
i have a 2k2, so my is definitely faster than 4th gen right? i am talking about stock, no modds
thanks.......i'm just curious! don't mean to start anything
Old 12-13-2001, 08:46 PM

Re: 5th Gen & 4th Gen

Originally posted by tapwr3000
why people are saying 5th Gen(2000-2001) maximas are slower than 4th gen?? doesn't 2000-20001 maximas have more hp?? at least that's what i thought, cuz i know car manufacturers are always trying to make cars go faster right??!!
i have a 2k2, so my is definitely faster than 4th gen right? i am talking about stock, no modds
Weight
Old 12-13-2001, 08:59 PM

And the fact that maximum power in the VQDE30-K is at redline, where it is not usable. Just trust everyone and believe that the 4th and 5th gens are EXACTLY as fast as one another.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:59 PM

Here's a story. Me (a 4th gen - 95 with JWT intake and 15s) vs RBa (5th gen - 2K with CAI, y-pipe and exhaust and 17s).

Lined up at a light. Both took off. We remained about even all the way up to about three lights. Not enough to reach top end speed, but enough for RBa to "give it all he had".

Like Burton069 said, it's all about weight.

Stock for stock, auto vs auto, (stick vs stick is trickier - it depends on who gets a better launch, but usually), 4th gen will win over the 5th gen because the 5th gen is heavier.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:03 PM

Weight
Old 12-13-2001, 09:05 PM

thx for reply, and solving the questions in my head.
how bout 4th gen vs 2k2 maximas?
and if anybody know how much does 4th gen weight, and how about 5th?
Old 12-13-2001, 09:10 PM

2k2 shouldn't really be called a 5th gen. You guys have too much hp.

A 2k2 will destroy a 4th gen.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:24 PM

thx for reply, and solving the questions in my head.
how bout 4th gen vs 2k2 maximas?
and if anybody know how much does 4th gen weight, and how about 5th?
My 5spd 95 SE weighs 3018
My 2002 6spd SE weighs 3218

Stock for stock my 2002 is a LOT faster then my 95. With just about every NA bolt on mod for my 95 my 02 is still quicker then it. I chirped 3rd today while driving straight{no curves} in my 5.6th gen! .
Old 12-14-2001, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Here's a story. Me (a 4th gen - 95 with JWT intake and 15s) vs RBa (5th gen - 2K with CAI, y-pipe and exhaust and 17s).

Lined up at a light. Both took off. We remained about even all the way up to about three lights. Not enough to reach top end speed, but enough for RBa to "give it all he had".

Stock for stock, auto vs auto, (stick vs stick is trickier - it depends on who gets a better launch, but usually), 4th gen will win over the 5th gen because the 5th gen is heavier.
i would like to respectfully disagree. i had a 98 auto and traded it in for a 2k auto and the 2k is a fatser car. perhaps 0-30 the 98 would have a slight advantage, but beyond that the 2k is a faster car, no question. i know this because my bro in law has a 95 Legend, and i couldnt beat him with my 98, we just stayed even and i couldnt pull away. now with my 2k i can get him by a car legnth. the only way a 4th gen can beat a 5th gen is if the 4th gen is a stick and the 5th gen is an auto. but auto vs auto and stick vs stick, the 5th gen is faster. so quit hatin
Old 12-14-2001, 08:30 AM

So you're saying:

98 Max vs 95 Legend - equal
2K Max vs 95 Legend - Max won

Then you say since the 98 Max and 95 Legend were about the same: 95 Legend = 98 Max.

So then:
2K vs 98 Max (95 Legend) - 2K will win

Interesting theory, but flawed.

Originally posted by maxman2k
i would like to respectfully disagree. i had a 98 auto and traded it in for a 2k auto and the 2k is a fatser car. perhaps 0-30 the 98 would have a slight advantage, but beyond that the 2k is a faster car, no question. i know this because my bro in law has a 95 Legend, and i couldnt beat him with my 98, we just stayed even and i couldnt pull away. now with my 2k i can get him by a car legnth.
I won't say any more. I'll just say this: I still stand by the fact that stock for stock, auto for auto, a 4th gen will win because of weight. However, since this board has a thing for proof, I'm going to go out and race a 5th gen and record it. If I lose, I lose, if I win, I win.

the only way a 4th gen can beat a 5th gen is if the 4th gen is a stick and the 5th gen is an auto. but auto vs auto and stick vs stick, the 5th gen is faster. so quit hatin
Old 12-14-2001, 09:14 AM

I currently have a 2k2 Auto and 97 auto and previously a 2k1 auto. the 97 auto is and was quicker than the 2k1 auto, but the 2k2 is quicker than the 97 auto. I really didnt feel all that high end the 2k and 2k1 suppose to have, I am sort of glad it was totalled but love my 2k2 and 97 equally as each has it strong and weak points.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:47 AM

i would like to respectfully disagree. i had a 98 auto and traded it in for a 2k auto and the 2k is a fatser car. perhaps 0-30 the 98 would have a slight advantage, but beyond that the 2k is a faster car, no question. i know this because my bro in law has a 95 Legend, and i couldnt beat him with my 98, we just stayed even and i couldnt pull away. now with my 2k i can get him by a car legnth. the only way a 4th gen can beat a 5th gen is if the 4th gen is a stick and the 5th gen is an auto. but auto vs auto and stick vs stick, the 5th gen is faster. so quit hatin
This is SO incorrect it isn't even funny. A STOCK 4th gen ran a best time of 15.6 seconds. A STOCK 5th gen AT THE SAME TRACK 10 minutes later could ony run a fastest of 15.7. Identical launch techniques. You comaprison is HORRIBLY flawed. BTW, a 4th gen auto can pull on a 5th gen 5 speed with the same mods(conditions have to be right). SO QUIT HATIN
Old 12-14-2001, 10:05 AM
RussMaxManiac

The 5th gen is a tick faster than the 4th gen due to weight. And you will only see that on the highway most of the time due to the way the power is setup in the powercurve.

Old 12-14-2001, 10:06 AM
RussMaxManiac

I have one battles like that but the 4th gen had the more mods. Ran 5 total 4th gens off this club with members and no one has beaten me yet.

Old 12-14-2001, 10:07 AM
Maxima Pilot

Using generally available weight data of

Gen4 reukt
Old 12-14-2001, 10:09 AM
RussMaxManiac

Your info is flawed. Weight only is considered a disadvatage off the line. Once your MOVING weight takes NO FACTOR. That is why the 5th gen is much faster rolling than off the line. I have a loaded SE 2001 Maxima. With just a generic intake. I ran DRU at the track. We were getting identical times. When we run, we are dead even. He has a generic cone intake as well and a catback exhaust! He also has a GXE 97. Much lighter than my car even if he has custom leather.

So you're saying:

98 Max vs 95 Legend - equal
2K Max vs 95 Legend - Max won

Then you say since the 98 Max and 95 Legend were about the same: 95 Legend = 98 Max.

So then:
2K vs 98 Max (95 Legend) - 2K will win

Interesting theory, but flawed.

I won't say any more. I'll just say this: I still stand by the fact that stock for stock, auto for auto, a 4th gen will win because of weight. However, since this board has a thing for proof, I'm going to go out and race a 5th gen and record it. If I lose, I lose, if I win, I win.

Old 12-14-2001, 10:10 AM

Russ can beat '02 Maximas too.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:11 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by medicsonic

This is SO incorrect it isn't even funny. A STOCK 4th gen ran a best time of 15.6 seconds. A STOCK 5th gen AT THE SAME TRACK 10 minutes later could ony run a fastest of 15.7. Identical launch techniques. You comaprison is HORRIBLY flawed. BTW, a 4th gen auto can pull on a 5th gen 5 speed with the same mods(conditions have to be right). SO QUIT HATIN
You 4th gen owners will never see the light. Give up 5th gen owners. As long as you know your car is faster then it is. I only lost once 2 a 4th gen and that was Ants97se when my intake was half off the piping and the car was detonating. After I fixed that, a few weeks later we ran again. This time I pulled on him.

He has ypipe, cai.

Old 12-14-2001, 10:13 AM

Yeah, the conditions include the 5 speed driver having one leg and one arm. Give us a break. And with your track times there...you didn't mention the shifting techniques used...if I remember right from one of your other posts those times are letting the car shift itself, instead of using the VQ's max hp at the redline. Doesn't it make sense that a 17% increase in horsepower more than makes up for a 6% weight gain??
Old 12-14-2001, 10:13 AM
Maxima Pilot

My bad, fingers too fast: Using generally

available weight data of roughly 3020 pounds for a Gen 4 stick versus 3200 lbs for a Gen 5 stick the pounds per horsepower data works out to be 15.88 lbs/HP for the Gen 4 and 14.41 lbs/HP for the Gen5.

Now, there are quite a few folks who believe the Gen4 might have been a bit underrated..even if you assume 200 hp for the Gen 4 it still yields 15.09 lbs/HP so...all other things being equal the Gen 5 should be quicker than a Gen 4 by about 4 percent. If it is'nt, someone's not being truthful. Nissan?
Old 12-14-2001, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

You 4th gen owners will never see the light. Give up 5th gen owners. As long as you know your car is faster then it is. I only lost once 2 a 4th gen and that was Ants97se when my intake was half off the piping and the car was detonating. After I fixed that, a few weeks later we ran again. This time I pulled on him.

He has ypipe, cai.
Then he can't drive. Simple as that.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

However, since this board has a thing for proof, I'm going to go out and race a 5th gen and record it. If I lose, I lose, if I win, I win.
What kind of mods you got? I'm bone stock. I'm down for a friendly run if you want. I really dont care either. If I win then cool, if I lose then oh well... Just wanna find out.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by hawkdog

Yeah, the conditions include the 5 speed driver having one leg and one arm. Give us a break. And with your track times there...you didn't mention the shifting techniques used...if I remember right from one of your other posts those times are letting the car shift itself, instead of using the VQ's max hp at the redline. Doesn't it make sense that a 17% increase in horsepower more than makes up for a 6% weight gain??
That same day, we had a 4th gen 5 speed owner that was stuck in the 16s. Launch technique in 5 speeds is an acquired skill, not many people can pull off a sub 15 time. However, both of those drivers have automatics. Launch technique was torque braking to ~2K, then letting go of the brake. Not much to it.

As for the 17% increase in power vs. 6% increase in weight, have you ever looked at where the 5th gen makes maximum power? In case you haven't, its AT redline, which means that it isn't usable outside of 1st gear. THAT'S why the 222 HP 'trick' Nissan used doesn't work out in the 'real world'. A 4th gen is AS FAST as a 5th gen. Why people get insulted hearing this, I don't know, but it has been proven WAY too many times for you all to continue to dispute it.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:33 AM

Performance-wise, JWT intake, that's it. Suspension wise, fstb and rsb.

And I'm in NYC, I take it you're from Joisey? Come to the NE forum.

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
What kind of mods you got? I'm bone stock. I'm down for a friendly run if you want. I really dont care either. If I win then cool, if I lose then oh well... Just wanna find out.
And you know what? This thread is never going to end. It's just going to wind up a big flame-fest. So I'm just gonna sit down and shut up. Not because I "will never see the light"... because I just don't friggin care.

It's amazingly wonderful that Russ has beaten every single 4th gen he's encountered. Good for you Russ, good job!

I, on the other hand, have raced a 5th gen auto with mods, and he couldn't get me off the line or pull away from me. And if we can't compare track times and if we can't compare street races and if are reduced to comparing numbers, well ... then....

I'm gonna sit down and shut up now.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:36 AM

And you know what? This thread is never going to end. It's just going to wind up a big flame-fest. So I'm just gonna sit down and shut up. Not because I "will never see the light"... because I just don't friggin care.

It's amazingly wonderful that Russ has beaten every single 4th gen he's encountered. Good for you Russ, good job!

I, on the other hand, have raced a 5th gen auto with mods, and he couldn't get me off the line or pull away from me. And if we can't compare track times and if we can't compare street races and if are reduced to comparing numbers, well ... then....

I'm gonna sit down and shut up now.
Don't forget that little pull that I have on tape vs. a 5th gen too, guess that doesn't count either...
Old 12-14-2001, 10:39 AM

[/B]
As for the 17% increase in power vs. 6% increase in weight, have you ever looked at where the 5th gen makes maximum power? In case you haven't, its AT redline, which means that it isn't usable outside of 1st gear. THAT'S why the 222 HP 'trick' Nissan used doesn't work out in the 'real world'. A 4th gen is AS FAST as a 5th gen. Why people get insulted hearing this, I don't know, but it has been proven WAY too many times for you all to continue to dispute it. [/B]
My car pulls harder all the way to redline in 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and 4th gear. Are you telling me that if I'm at 6600 RPM in 4th gear that HP isnt there, but in 1st gear it is??
Old 12-14-2001, 10:42 AM

That same day, we had a 4th gen 5 speed owner that was stuck in the 16s. Launch technique in 5 speeds is an acquired skill, not many people can pull off a sub 15 time. However, both of those drivers have automatics. Launch technique was torque braking to ~2K, then letting go of the brake. Not much to it.
I said SHIFTING method, not launch method.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:47 AM

I said SHIFTING method, not launch method.
The 4th gen owner left it in Drive, as did the 5th gen owner. The 5th gen owner was running 15.9s with 'manual' shifting. An automatic can only hit redline in 1st gear, the TCU shifts at points lower than that in 2nd and above. BTW, for maximum performance/best times, you shouldn't be shifting at redline in any gear outside of 1st.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:49 AM

It's not just weight tho that is a big part of it, but it's things like arodynamics, power within the band(where it falls), wheels size, body rock off the driving wheels, things like that there is alot to take in to consideration.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh my bad, I got a RSB too. Mobile 1 oil and thats it.

I'm in there from time to time. Hope I can join you guys one day in dem crazy vids
Old 12-14-2001, 10:52 AM

could you explain why it is horribly flawed? whats the difference between my comparison and yours? has a STOCK 4th gen ever hit a 14.8, like a 5th gen has? you really need to just open your eyes to the fact that 5th gens are faster on average than 4th gens. i am not dissin 4th gens, i had one and loved it, but facts are facts. sorry. AND QUIT USING MY LINES
Old 12-14-2001, 10:55 AM

could you explain why it is horribly flawed? whats the difference between my comparison and yours? has a STOCK 4th gen ever hit a 14.8, like a 5th gen has? you really need to just open your eyes to the fact that 5th gens are faster on average than 4th gens. i am not dissin 4th gens, i had one and loved it, but facts are facts. sorry. AND QUIT USING MY LINES

This is from a 5th gen owner:
Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
I currently have a 2k2 Auto and 97 auto and previously a 2k1 auto. the 97 auto is and was quicker than the 2k1 auto, but the 2k2 is quicker than the 97 auto. I really didnt feel all that high end the 2k and 2k1 suppose to have....
Old 12-14-2001, 11:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by clee130

This is from a 5th gen owner:
[/QUOTE/]
your reasoning is HORRIBLY flawed. why is his opinion any more valuable than mine??? i had a 98 and now i have a 2k. i have had both too. ohh but you like HIS opinion, therefore you use his quote. i see now.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:06 AM

A STOCK 4th gen has hit 14.7.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:07 AM

this is stupid...

Arguing which automatic is faster is stupid. My 5th gen 5 speed, or any other 4th or 5th gen 5 speed will beat any automatic (same mods) like a red headed stepchild. Under any conditions, anywhere, any time. And I don't want to hear you whine about how you beat one. I will race any n/a automatic maxima, and I guarantee I will win 100 out of 100 times. Put Mario Andretti in the automatic for all I care, or put my grandma. It doesn't make a difference. There is no way a COMPETENT 5 speed driver would ever lose to a auto. Putting in a real transmission should be the first mod any automatic owner that wants to race does. 4th gen auto vs. 5th gen auto...fine, they're the same. But who really cares when any 4th or 5th gen stick can take them to school??
Old 12-14-2001, 11:08 AM

Because he wasn't substituting a Maxima into the equation instead of a Legend.

It's like this:
Legend = A
4th gen = B
5th gen = C

C beat A
and
C beat B

So then A=B

Does a Legend = Maxima?

His comparison might have been flawed also, but it's less flawed then your comparison.

[Byour reasoning is HORRIBLY flawed. why is his opinion any more valuable than mine??? i had a 98 and now i have a 2k. i have had both too. ohh but you like HIS opinion, therefore you use his quote. i see now. [/B]
Old 12-14-2001, 11:11 AM

Re: this is stupid...

Here starts the "5 spds are real cars, autos don't count" arguments.

myself

Dammit ... I told myself I was gonna shut up... starting..... NOW!

Arguing which automatic is faster is stupid. My 5th gen 5 speed, or any other 4th or 5th gen 5 speed will beat any automatic (same mods) like a red headed stepchild. Under any conditions, anywhere, any time. And I don't want to hear you whine about how you beat one. I will race any n/a automatic maxima, and I guarantee I will win 100 out of 100 times. Put Mario Andretti in the automatic for all I care, or put my grandma. It doesn't make a difference. There is no way a COMPETENT 5 speed driver would ever lose to a auto. Putting in a real transmission should be the first mod any automatic owner that wants to race does. 4th gen auto vs. 5th gen auto...fine, they're the same. But who really cares when any 4th or 5th gen stick can take them to school??
Old 12-14-2001, 11:12 AM

Because he wasn't substituting a Maxima into the equation instead of a Legend.

It's like this:
Legend = A
4th gen = B
5th gen = C

C beat A
and
C beat B

So then A=B

Does a Legend = Maxima?

His comparison might have been flawed also, but it's less flawed then your comparison.

i still dont understand why it is flawed.

c beats a...b = a...therefore c beats b...why is that flawed???
Old 12-14-2001, 11:12 AM

A STOCK 4th gen has hit 14.7.
And I'm sure someday a 5th gen owner that weighs 110 lbs. will throw some ugly 15" wheels on his car, which is a factory fluke, drop his tire pressure to 15 psi, strip every part possible from the inside, have to push his car back to the garage since he only had enough gas in it to get down the track, and get a perfect run and beat that. And then a "stock" 5th gen will have a better time than a "stock" 4th gen.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:17 AM

Re: this is stupid...

If I remember correctly, this thread was about 4th and 5th gens. Since you didn't ever post anything relavent about this argument, why do you continue to post in this thread about 5 speeds and automatics? And if you believe that you will will 100 out of 100 times, may I point you to Synki, SprintMax, Clee, RBa, Quansung, DMBMaxima88, yo_its_ok or anybody else to prove you wrong? They have ALL witnessed 5 speeds not being able to beat an automatic. Or do they not count either?

Quick Reply: 5th Gen & 4th Gen