5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Five Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Five Questions

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster, I hope you can help me!

Background Info: (since you really cared )
I have a '01 20th AE SE A/T with 190K KILOMETRES located in Toronto, Ontario. Purchased @ 123K, and loved every centimetre along the way. Was silver, painted black with purple pearldust in the clear coat, and now shines like a dark purple pearl in the sun.

-
Problemo Uno:
There is a massive hole in my muffler (it actually sounds really beefy - as I dont really have a 'muffler' anymore given how big that hole has gotten), and the pipe from the back of the muff to the cat is rusted and cracked. Therefore instead of changing the muffler, I figured I might as well get a cat-back exhaust and solve that problem altogether.

I did want a 3" for some mean noise, but looking at the price jump from 2.5 -> 3", it seems like I might just be better off with a 2.5". Realistically, she's automatic and I hope to soon acquire an '03 6spd within the next year or two and go mod-happy when that time comes.

That being said, I'm not opposed to a 3" if I found it for the right price, but I highly doubt that ever happening. Price IS a factor. I noticed that JMAuto has the Megan 2.5" for $380, so with the 10% off that pretty much goes down to the avg price I've found throughout the net, though I see that ordering parts is a serious shop-around task due to the markups and shipping costs, which can be around or over $100 given my location.

Being that I am located in Toronto with this 4spd A/T, what would you recommend and more importantly from where?

-Secondly; my windows struggle. Horribly. Disgustingly. Extremely slow and makes a nasty whining sound when going up or down. The front passenger one especially usually requires the help of someone pushing it gently to the right, which leads me to think its almost off-track? Never played around with it as I didn't want the window to explode in my hands. Will post a video of this. Occurs in the front windows, but the rear ones seem slow as well.

-Thirdly; cheapest retailer to obtain an O2 sensor? (Direct fit obviously)

-Fourthly; if my steering wheel is cranked fully to the left, and I go up on an incline (lets say a fairly raised driveway curb or something) I get a disgusting "GRINGCHA" noise, almost like a dirty rusted heavy-duty spring. It makes your teeth clench, your hairs stand up kinda noise. Any ideas there?

-Fifthly; I want to complement the new catback exhaust with some minor modifications under the hood. Cold air intake or something? I am a newb when it comes to mods so bare with me. Whats the most bang for the buck? I do have someone that can install them for me.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and respond.
Long live VQ!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ill87
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster, I hope you can help me!

Background Info: (since you really cared )
I have a '01 20th AE SE A/T with 190K KILOMETRES located in Toronto, Ontario. Purchased @ 123K, and loved every centimetre along the way. Was silver, painted black with purple pearldust in the clear coat, and now shines like a dark purple pearl in the sun.

-
Problemo Uno:
There is a massive hole in my muffler (it actually sounds really beefy - as I dont really have a 'muffler' anymore given how big that hole has gotten), and the pipe from the back of the muff to the cat is rusted and cracked. Therefore instead of changing the muffler, I figured I might as well get a cat-back exhaust and solve that problem altogether.

I did want a 3" for some mean noise, but looking at the price jump from 2.5 -> 3", it seems like I might just be better off with a 2.5". Realistically, she's automatic and I hope to soon acquire an '03 6spd within the next year or two and go mod-happy when that time comes.

That being said, I'm not opposed to a 3" if I found it for the right price, but I highly doubt that ever happening. Price IS a factor. I noticed that JMAuto has the Megan 2.5" for $380, so with the 10% off that pretty much goes down to the avg price I've found throughout the net, though I see that ordering parts is a serious shop-around task due to the markups and shipping costs, which can be around or over $100 given my location.

Being that I am located in Toronto with this 4spd A/T, what would you recommend and more importantly from where?
Seems as if you answered your own question.

BUT, if you're planning on getting an 02/3 6MT in the future, and going mod happy, why not get the 3" now ... and transfer it to the 02/3 later? I'd go Cattman, obviously I have one. Question for you is will price be a factor when you've gone mod happy? Granted you'll need to fins a cheap replacement for the 00-01 of you want to sell it or even keep it. Most exhaust do a crush bent system for like 220USD including a muffler. Skip the muffler and buy a used 5th gen unit. I've seen them go for 60USD.

-Secondly; my windows struggle. Horribly. Disgustingly. Extremely slow and makes a nasty whining sound when going up or down. The front passenger one especially usually requires the help of someone pushing it gently to the right, which leads me to think its almost off-track? Never played around with it as I didn't want the window to explode in my hands. Will post a video of this. Occurs in the front windows, but the rear ones seem slow as well
Silicone spray/lube.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...w-windows.html

-Thirdly; cheapest retailer to obtain an O2 sensor? (Direct fit obviously)
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...san-parts.html
Direct fit is sometimes difficult. I remember back when, some minor modification re: wiring needed o be done, not sure if this is still the case. Check the websites in the aforementioned thread. Have fun removing them bad boys. Why do you some, and which ones do you need?

Originally Posted by =ill87
-Fourthly; if my steering wheel is cranked fully to the left, and I go up on an incline (lets say a fairly raised driveway curb or something) I get a disgusting "GRINGCHA" noise, almost like a dirty rusted heavy-duty spring. It makes your teeth clench, your hairs stand up kinda noise. Any ideas there?
I have a few hunches, but am curious about this myself. I'm following this thread at the moment:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ing-turns.html FGeel free to bump it as appropriate. Or search, probably be better.
-Fifthly; I want to complement the new catback exhaust with some minor modifications under the hood. Cold air intake or something? I am a newb when it comes to mods so bare with me. Whats the most bang for the buck? I do have someone that can install them for me.
Just get a JWT POP. 120USD, and it will transfer directly when you decide on that 02/3.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-29-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:29 PM

in terms of the scraping terrible noise..

if you get under the car and look at the entire assembly that the strut connects to there is a small metal rod that sticks out and there is supposed to be a small plastic cap on it that is like a bump/turn stop indicator so to speak,.. that can be worn down.. nissan sells the caps for cheap.. you would prob pay more in shipping or just cover it urself somehow...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 PM

Max thanks for the detailed and quick response, but I think that switch to the 03 will be in at least a year if not more, so I think its worth spending the money now.. Any opinions on the Megan Racing OE-RS 2.5" ?

http://www.jmautoracing.com/megan-ra...t-p-16291.html
Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Max thanks for the detailed and quick response, but I think that switch to the 03 will be in at least a year if not more, so I think its worth spending the money now.. Any opinions on the Megan Racing OE-RS 2.5" ?

http://www.jmautoracing.com/megan-ra...t-p-16291.html
Personally I went with the Cattman 3 inch. Wasn't worth doing twice in my eyes. As well given the huge power difference and your intent on a new car even 1 year out. I think he hit it on the head with the stock rear end replacement for now or just an supermarket muffler. Is say replace it with a borla and save up for the future...my two cents from my 4at ***.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Lol...stupid Droid....after market...not supermarket