5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do you always drive with fog lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 11:05 AM

Do you always drive with fog lights on?

Just wondering if you guys always turn your fog lights on when using headlights, or only when there is actually fog.
Do the foglights look cooler? Does it look funny when the headlights are Xenon and the foglights are normal yellow? Does the yellowness of the fog lights make the Xenons stick out more? Just curious
Old 12-14-2001, 11:26 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Do you always drive with fog lights on?

Originally posted by Go Blue
Just wondering if you guys always turn your fog lights on when using headlights, or only when there is actually fog.
Do the foglights look cooler? Does it look funny when the headlights are Xenon and the foglights are normal yellow? Does the yellowness of the fog lights make the Xenons stick out more? Just curious
Mine are on all the time
Old 12-14-2001, 12:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This topic was covered a few months ago. Fog lights on when there's no fog is illegal in some states due to the extra glare toward oncoming traffic. It's also a bit rude as far as being a courteous driver is concerned.

The other camp says they look cool and they have their's aimed not to disturb oncoming traffic. As far as the law is concerned, they don't give a damn.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
I'm liable to make someone blind in front of me w/ my fog lights on...as if my headlights weren't bright enough.

I only use them on pitch dark roads and in rain.
Use only foglights when I drive around neighborhoods, and residential streets. My foglights put out more light than a halogen headlamp

I was under the impression that the fog lights only work when the headlights are on.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:53 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by maxSmart

I was under the impression that the fog lights only work when the headlights are on.
not if you rewire them
Old 12-14-2001, 01:10 PM

Go Blue

Since you are a Michigan fan regardless of what you do I will give you the finger as we pass. Your team still sucks.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:30 PM

ON ON ON !!! well at least with the headlights.

I think our's are actually driving lights anywho. They hardly seem to have any effect with the HIDs on anyhow... so they just look kewl.

Old 12-14-2001, 01:35 PM

the fogs make the car look much more aggresive at night...just my thought
Old 12-14-2001, 01:50 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

my 1.5 cents

I drive with running/fogs on no matter what time it is, at night I just flick on the headlights too. To me it is not only an appearance thing, but also safety one. Or cars do not have daytime running lamps so my fogs fill in the position for me. Anyways I like the way fogs look oncoming...
Old 12-14-2001, 02:13 PM

Re: my 1.5 cents

|Always on ... they seem like there aimed pretty low and not all that bright anyway
Old 12-14-2001, 05:34 PM

all you guys keep on using them when not necessary
and one day you'll wish you hadn't
(i've never found a factory set to offer enough light
to be helpful anyway)
but if rewired, i'm cool with them being daytime running
lamp equivalents
Old 12-14-2001, 05:51 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Do you always drive with fog lights on?

Originally posted by Go Blue
Well I always drive with my fogs cause they make my car look more agressive but I'm a 2K driver so I don't have the fancy pants xenon.

Old 12-15-2001, 12:37 AM

my greatest regret is to spend money installing the fog lights on my GXE.... somehow, the fog lights only glare people and does not improve the lighting. Somehow, the angle is not wide enough and that is real bad. The fog lights I have in my old mazda 626 in singapore really lights up the road for me... sad to say this pair only helps me irritate oncoming motorist
Old 12-15-2001, 12:59 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

On when my lights are on. I like lights.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:00 AM
Got Bent?

mine are on most of the time also when my headlights are on.... with the HIDs though, I can't really tell.... I need some better fog lamps
Old 12-15-2001, 01:07 PM
Mauja He Mauja

on all the time. i do agree that they give the car a MEANER look at night. try and ride someones *** with the fogs on,,,they will let you pass quick
Old 12-15-2001, 02:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I use to drive with the fogs on when I didn't have the HIDs. Now only when its raining out.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:00 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

lights on all the time

I've had two 45mph head ons (7 years apart) where some pulled in front of me or turned across my lane and I didnt have running lamps. For visibility to other drivers, they are always on. As for that other post, I'm not sure how I would "regret it some day". if its buying $4 bulb after 2 years, I dont think thats any regret. I'd pay twice that not to have airbag burns. So, yes.. fogs and lights all the time. I dont think the fogs are actually good for anything besides looks.

As for the HIDs, I dont like to see them dim when I start the car, so I have gotten in the habit of switching back to running lamps only before turning off and back on when the car has been started. I dont think the voltage drop can be good for the ballasts or bulbs. Note, I still let the smart entrance thing do its job, I dont turn them off.

As for the laser... Yes, I hit a speed trap in Nashville that should have entitled me to a seriously nasty ticket. It was 1am, crest of a hill, state trooper on the shoulder, me in slow lane, so almost parallel to him... I noticed that my slightly high aimed HIDs were illuminating him in his car (I was coming over the hill). He was using radar (as my brother and dad who live there told me later). They said they were VERY surpised he didnt get me. I think the HIDs helped. He certainly looked at me as I passed, I had slowed down considerably so I really dont know.. I was the only car on the road.. He should have had me. I dont plan on doing extensive testing of that theory tho
Old 12-15-2001, 03:06 PM

ALWAYS ON! and no reflector on the fogs, BLIND EVERYBODY!
Old 12-15-2001, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
http://www.maximaproducts.f2s.com/12...s/DSC00165.jpg

Awesome pic of 4 Max's w/ Fogs ONLY~!
NIce pics! I need to rewire my fogs, is it difficult?
Old 12-15-2001, 04:02 PM
RussMaxManiac

Let me remind everyone our Fog LIGHTS are not FOG lights. They are aux. driving lights. They do not have the lense for fog, or a orange lense or bulbs to go through the fog. They are there for looks as well as extra ground lighting.

It is not illegal to have factory ones on in any state since they are driving lights.

Originally posted by Magellan
This topic was covered a few months ago. Fog lights on when there's no fog is illegal in some states due to the extra glare toward oncoming traffic. It's also a bit rude as far as being a courteous driver is concerned.

The other camp says they look cool and they have their's aimed not to disturb oncoming traffic. As far as the law is concerned, they don't give a damn.

Old 12-15-2001, 04:50 PM

Re: Re: Do you always drive with fog lights on?

Originally posted by Maxima06071

Well I always drive with my fogs cause they make my car look more agressive but I'm a 2K driver so I don't have the fancy pants xenon.
wasn't it just what i said....lol
Old 12-15-2001, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Always have them on. The increased visibility is just incredible. Especially since the high beams suck.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:34 PM

I believe it is an 'appearance' thing. At night or afternoons when natural lighting is poor then I have HID on. Here I see people driving during bright daylight hours with headlights and fog lights on. IMO it is a thing to catch attention.

I use my foglights in fog, snow, rain, and when I am outside the city limits. My analogy is why where your nice flashy Haley Hansen winter jacket when it is warm outside?
Old 12-15-2001, 06:08 PM

I turn them on when outside is very very dark or
Old 12-15-2001, 06:53 PM

I always have my fogs on when my headlights are on for that cool look.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:58 PM
Mauja He Mauja

blah blah blah 100 dollars for all 4 is worth it,,,get some
PIAA EXTREME WHITE,,,end of story niteyyyyyyyyy
Old 12-15-2001, 07:35 PM

yes..

"IMO it is a thing to catch attention."

exactly.. if you have a white, silver or gold car, you need to make sure people see you..
Old 12-16-2001, 08:12 AM

Snowy whiteout?

I've been thinking of getting fog lights for snow storm driving? Last winter I found it very hard to tell which lane I was in on the highway during sever white out conditions. I was kind of hoping that the fog lights would light the ground directly in front of me thus allowing me to track better in my lane. Has anyone here used the fog lights for these conditions? Did they help? Damn it sucks not knowing if you are in the middle of two lanes when you have an 18 wheeler bearing down on you.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:18 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: yes..

Originally posted by TimW
"IMO it is a thing to catch attention."

exactly.. if you have a white, silver or gold car, you need to make sure people see you..
Actually Silver, Black, are the hardest colors to see. Silver during the day, black during the night.

Old 12-16-2001, 11:38 AM

right russ...

but we are talking about the day here..
Old 12-16-2001, 12:10 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: right russ...

but we are talking about the day here..
i leave thtem running during the day as well,,,looks
Old 12-16-2001, 02:59 PM

driving with out the fogs on make the car look ghetto =X

like driving with one headlight busted
Old 12-16-2001, 03:40 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by DooBall
driving with out the fogs on make the car look ghetto =X

like driving with one headlight busted
true that
Old 12-16-2001, 04:59 PM

I just bought a pair of DICHOIC driving light by PIAA.
Hopefully get it to install next.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:53 PM

I usually drive with my fogs on in the city; helps me see the potholes .
I'm not a big fan of daytime lamps. There are a LOT of stupid drivers on the road. They can look right at you and pull in front of you anyway with their living room on wheels and only 2 feet of space
Old 12-17-2001, 06:33 PM

Hard to tell if they are on, while driving. But it looks so cool, sporty, I keep them on at all times. I wish they were a distinctive color, say, yellow.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:58 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by martinf
Hard to tell if they are on, while driving. But it looks so cool, sporty, I keep them on at all times. I wish they were a distinctive color, say, yellow.
ONLY super whites,,,no yealow no no no
Old 12-17-2001, 07:58 PM

Re: lights on all the time

Dunno about hids and radar... the laser range decrease sounds a tad more plausible, but only a tad..

-Tom Z.

PS.. shhh!!! it's a secret... you just watch!! the next generation of stealth bombers will come stock with HIDS!!!!

I've had two 45mph head ons (7 years apart) where some pulled in front of me or turned across my lane and I didnt have running lamps. For visibility to other drivers, they are always on. As for that other post, I'm not sure how I would "regret it some day". if its buying $4 bulb after 2 years, I dont think thats any regret. I'd pay twice that not to have airbag burns. So, yes.. fogs and lights all the time. I dont think the fogs are actually good for anything besides looks.

As for the HIDs, I dont like to see them dim when I start the car, so I have gotten in the habit of switching back to running lamps only before turning off and back on when the car has been started. I dont think the voltage drop can be good for the ballasts or bulbs. Note, I still let the smart entrance thing do its job, I dont turn them off.

As for the laser... Yes, I hit a speed trap in Nashville that should have entitled me to a seriously nasty ticket. It was 1am, crest of a hill, state trooper on the shoulder, me in slow lane, so almost parallel to him... I noticed that my slightly high aimed HIDs were illuminating him in his car (I was coming over the hill). He was using radar (as my brother and dad who live there told me later). They said they were VERY surpised he didnt get me. I think the HIDs helped. He certainly looked at me as I passed, I had slowed down considerably so I really dont know.. I was the only car on the road.. He should have had me. I dont plan on doing extensive testing of that theory tho
Old 12-17-2001, 08:01 PM

I meant he was using Laser...

oooops

Quick Reply: Do you always drive with fog lights on?