5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Good Manual Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM

Good Manual Transmission Fluid

what is a good manual transmission fluid that i can find at a local parts store? (advance, napa, autozone, oreillys) i was suppose to do the Amsoil, but at the time i didnt have the money and if i order now, it wont be here before the trans i'm sure. so i'm trying to find a option at a parts store.

anyone?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:21 AM

See if there are any race/speed shops in your area they will usually have the name brand premium synthetics in stock.

As for my recommendation, if you can get your hands on it I suggest RedLine tranny oil. It's expensive but the stuff is amazing. Long story short, my dad had an off-road race car and busted the trans case on lap 2 of 5 on a 73 mile desert course. Since he was in the points he decided to just run it until the tranny seized. He ended up 3rd. When the trans case was opened up to see what was salvageable, everything including the ring and pinion was still in new condition.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 AM

i have one shop i can check out today to see if they have anything. does royal purple carry a MTF fluid? i think the advance locally carries it
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Kevlo for President

Amsoil > the rest

But at the store, they don't have a big selection of GL4 so just tell us what they have first
Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM

I use Redline MT-90, and its so far so good.

http://www.shiftice.com/redline_mt90.html
Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubr...-gear-oil.html
Old 08-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Amsoil 75W/90 Gear Oil: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
Redline MT-90
Mobil 1 75W/90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Redline MTL (for extreme Northern climates, Canada area, etc.)
quoted for reference from thread. those are available at the auto stores Nmex?

But at the store, they don't have a big selection of GL4 so just tell us what they have first
ill check and see what they have today
Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by phatboislim
quoted for reference from thread. those are available at the auto stores Nmex?

ill check and see what they have today
Aside from Mobil 1, nope, sorry.

Why not just stick with what Nissan tosses in there? I usually do that with my AT.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Aside from Mobil 1, nope, sorry.

Why not just stick with what Nissan tosses in there? I usually do that with my AT.
Because there are better options.
When I got my 6speed, it had what I can gather was the original fluid in it. It shifted like a stick through mud when it was even slightly cold outside. A good synthetic rids this problem almost entirely.

I've used Amsoil and Redline, I like them both.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Cletus

MT-90 >> all

but a search would have told you that
Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM

I just switched to Amsoil and it's awesome.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Do a search and you will find your answer...

http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubricants-52/
Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 PM

Redline or Amsoil. You will not be disappointed with either.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

Are we done here?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Are we done here?
IBTL

DO IT!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:44 PM
dot dot dot ...

Bottom line is you probably wont get the best from your local auto store. Order online for the best. Over the years,I've learned that is the best option for quality.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 PM

at this point i'm trying to find something at the LOCAL parts store, i know of the MT-90 and what not, i'm trying to find recommendations on something local. i've already done the search and know of what to order, but i'm sure since you didnt realize that i'm trying to find something local that at this time i can not wait for it to come in.

so i appreciate the doucheness, from teh douches on the sites. come to this thread for insight, but get people on here that love to be idiots instead of trying to give insight.

you can lock the thread

PS thanks to who tried to help
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Any reason why you don't want to order online?

Get the most expensive, and clean the sand out, cripes.

We don't know the types/brands/etc available @ YOUR local stores.

Sorry if I came out a little douchelike, but we assume you know the good stuff and would do what you needed to purchase it, whether it be online, through group buys, etc. .
'
I wont lock it because I don't think you've gotten your answer just yet.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Toolie

Motul 75-85 FTW especially for the colder climates.

I have run redline, amsoil, mobil 1 (gl-5 so had to get rid of it quick), and Motul 75w-85 and Motul 75w-90. The Motul 75w-85 is the smoothest of them all. My mechanic races his spec-v on weekends at Mosport and he uses the 75-85 in his tranny. I know that tranny takes a **** kicking every weekend and it is still like brand new.

The redline was ok until it got cold out, same with the amsoil. Amsoil felt a little bit better than redline for the most part. But Since I put the Motul 75x85 in I will stick with that. It shifts smooth as butter no matter how hot or cold it has gotten up here in the great white north.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:22 AM

Any reason why you don't want to order online?

Get the most expensive, and clean the sand out, cripes.

We don't know the types/brands/etc available @ YOUR local stores.

Sorry if I came out a little douchelike, but we assume you know the good stuff and would do what you needed to purchase it, whether it be online, through group buys, etc. .
'
I wont lock it because I don't think you've gotten your answer just yet.
at this present moment my car has been down going on 2 months because my transmission has gone out. when it went out, the mechanic and i thought it was the throwout bearing, so i purchased a clutch kit and flywheel from competition clutch, figuring day i'd have it back, come to find out, my trans is screwed. so i've been having the hardest time trying to get a transmission to come in. raising a dispute with a *not to be mentioned* member and have since ordered a new one. i'm highly doubting that what i order will be here when my transmission goes back in (early this week), hence why i am trying to find something else to go in there until i have time to go back, drain and get the good stuff back in.

i know when i had my GS-R there were other options like alot of people recommended the Honda MTF to go back in after draining it, which i did at that time because i had time to accumulate parts within a short amount of time. supposedly nissan recommends pennzoil (what i used when going through the hell of lowering my car, not getting into details). but read up that that wasnt so good of a MTF, so this is what brings me back here today. if i cant find anything else, ill probably just go see what the best that napa has and go with that until i get my new MTF. beside i almost seeing it as flushing out the trans with putting some MTF in there to break in the new clutch/flywheel/trans then drain and put some good stuff...just was looking for a good recommendation.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Motul 75-85 FTW especially for the colder climates.

I have run redline, amsoil, mobil 1 (gl-5 so had to get rid of it quick), and Motul 75w-85 and Motul 75w-90. The Motul 75w-85 is the smoothest of them all. My mechanic races his spec-v on weekends at Mosport and he uses the 75-85 in his tranny. I know that tranny takes a **** kicking every weekend and it is still like brand new.

The redline was ok until it got cold out, same with the amsoil. Amsoil felt a little bit better than redline for the most part. But Since I put the Motul 75x85 in I will stick with that. It shifts smooth as butter no matter how hot or cold it has gotten up here in the great white north.

that motul was something that he/you ordered online or were you able to find it at a local parts store

BTW i'm sorry i didnt get a chance to run to the parts store yesterday i had to go with my brother to sell his car so i dont even have a list of anything that they carry.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Man go over to a GM or Chrysler dealership and ask for their GL4 oil. They carry Mopar synthetic oil at the correct spec. It's whats in my tranny as we speak. They will make you pay dearly for it.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 AM

I have used redline in my specs tranny and it was alright I switched to BG syncro shift and that stuff is insane. made such a huge improvment. Its the fluid of choice in the spec v community
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Cletus

at this point i'm trying to find something at the LOCAL parts store, i know of the MT-90 and what not, i'm trying to find recommendations on something local. i've already done the search and know of what to order, but i'm sure since you didnt realize that i'm trying to find something local that at this time i can not wait for it to come in. .
so without knowing where you live, you want us to find something local for you

you asked for a "Good Manual Transmission Fluid" and we replied

so i appreciate the doucheness, from teh douches on the sites. come to this thread for insight, but get people on here that love to be idiots instead of trying to give insight.

1. decide what you want
2. go to their website
3. search for local vendor
4. drive to local vendor
5. buy fluid
6. put in car
7. stop being rude
8. profit?

Last edited by SoonerFan; 08-14-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:00 PM

^
did you not see in my original post where i posted parts stores around me? shows how much you actually read before giving valuable information. quit being a pompous mod and actual contribute, you pull this kind of bs in every thread you appear in and i dont say nothing. i come for a response similiar to augustus, nmex and knight and you come in here acting ****ing retarded. please exit

yea, now i'm being rude, before i was being straight up, get it correct.
Originally Posted by Specd_out
I have used redline in my specs tranny and it was alright I switched to BG syncro shift and that stuff is insane. made such a huge improvment. Its the fluid of choice in the spec v community
what is BG syncro shift btw?

btw that dodge option sounds like a great solution as i have a dodge/chrysler dealership around me
Old 08-14-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan

1. decide what you want
2. go to their website
4. drive to local vendor
5. buy fluid
6. put in car
7. stop being rude
8. profit?

at this present moment my car has been down going on 2 months because my transmission has gone out. when it went out, the mechanic and i thought it was the throwout bearing, so i purchased a clutch kit and flywheel from competition clutch, figuring day i'd have it back, come to find out, my trans is screwed. so i've been having the hardest time trying to get a transmission to come in. raising a dispute with a *not to be mentioned* member and have since ordered a new one. i'm highly doubting that what i order will be here when my transmission goes back in (early this week), hence why i am trying to find something else to go in there until i have time to go back, drain and get the good stuff back in.

i know when i had my GS-R there were other options like alot of people recommended the Honda MTF to go back in after draining it, which i did at that time because i had time to accumulate parts within a short amount of time. supposedly nissan recommends pennzoil (what i used when going through the hell of lowering my car, not getting into details). but read up that that wasnt so good of a MTF, so this is what brings me back here today. if i cant find anything else, ill probably just go see what the best that napa has and go with that until i get my new MTF. beside i almost seeing it as flushing out the trans with putting some MTF in there to break in the new clutch/flywheel/trans then drain and put some good stuff...just was looking for a good recommendation.
read and stop being retarded
Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Toolie

that motul was something that he/you ordered online or were you able to find it at a local parts store

BTW i'm sorry i didnt get a chance to run to the parts store yesterday i had to go with my brother to sell his car so i dont even have a list of anything that they carry.
My mechanic keeps it stocked at his shop, for his 300Zx, his spec V and his other nissan vehicles. And for sale to the public
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM

gotcha. thanks man
Old 08-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Cletus

mods,
you going to allow this dude to act this way?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Cletus

I posted an answer…my first post in this thread

MT-90 >> all

but a search would have told you that
you started being rude to people

^
so i appreciate the doucheness, from teh douches on the sites. come to this thread for insight, but get people on here that love to be idiots instead of trying to give insight
so I asked a question and gave advice

1. decide what you want
2. go to their website
4. drive to local vendor
5. buy fluid
6. put in car
7. stop being rude
8. profit?
And you are rude again

^
quit being a pompous mod and actual contribute, you pull this kind of bs in every thread you appear in and i dont say nothing. you come in here acting ****ing retarded. please exit

yea, now i'm being rude, before i was being straight up, get it correct.

And rude again

read and stop being retarded
So please point out where I was “rude” “pompous” or “retarded”
Old 08-14-2010, 02:07 PM

mods,
you going to allow this dude to act this way?
Why does this guy respond to everyones thread talking down to us maxima owners ? is it because he doesnt even have a maxima ?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Maxy91
Why does this guy respond to everyones thread talking down to us maxima owners ? is it because he doesnt even have a maxima ?

you sure act like you understand this place in the 3 months you have been here

who are you

who did i talk down to

no really, somebody please show me where I was rude in this thread
Old 08-14-2010, 02:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Considering the situation, I think we're done here. Put the cheapest stuff in there and order whatever in your opinion is best.

I've done this in the past in my AT when tesing out a new VB. Had to do a drain and refill and I screwed some o-ring insall and had to basically repeat the process at least 3x, so you could imagine had I gone with the 'best' ($$) stuff off the bat, I woulda been

Profit?