5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pulling Codes-No CEL-6 Ready-since headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Pulling Codes-No CEL-6 Ready-since headers

As always something crazy.

Headers installed everything runs fine, cant hear any detonation or anything. After they installed them though they put the one white downstream in the upstream bung so they wouldnt have to extend the main o2. then zip tied it up.
I corrected this and extended the wires slightly to allow the upstream to plug in and be put in the bung. I also wired in the o2 sim, and have no cel since.

Plugs were changed when spacers were added less than 4k miles ago. I have yet to change any coils. Doubt theres a maf issue as the car runs fully through the entire rev range. Will pull the evap can today and try some wd40.

Now I hooked up my reader and it shows the following

No Cel

1 INC- Catalyst

6 READY- Misfire - Fuel - Comp - Evap - o2 - o2 Heater

Prior it was pulling a p0174 which prompted me to check their work and thats where i noted the issue with the swapped o2s.

Car runs fine, but it does feel as though its being held back. The down streams are by passed with a sim.

ideas? Before i try throwning money at it?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

So what exactly is the problem?

Under WOT, O2 sensors have no affect on performance, so the holding back thing would have nothing to do with that or them.

I'm curious about the 'codes' or feed back you got with your reader.

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
1 INC- Catalyst

6 READY- Misfire - Fuel - Comp - Evap - o2 - o2 Heater
Does it not just give normal P0 codes?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
So what exactly is the problem?

Under WOT, O2 sensors have no affect on performance, so the holding back thing would have nothing to do with that or them.

I'm curious about the 'codes' or feed back you got with your reader.

Does it not just give normal P0 codes?
Lol. No. It gives the actual code. But in doing the sim its now just showing pending codes? the p0174 is gone. But the read function gave the above listed additional info. I figured a misfire would indicate cylinder...no such luck.It actually lists them how I listed them that's why I listed how I did. Under wot it sometimes is fine.. part throttle there is a lag. I'm trying to
narrow the issue but its not actually popping the code. Was curious if a pending misfire that's showing along with the other listed would show me a direction to start.

Or is it normal with headers to have the listed inc codes?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

As well the only code that's triggered the ceo is the o2 code...that's why I figured it was playing in...

Was thinkin the cat may be clogged as that was listed as in. On the reader. And the o2s and heater being listed as well makes me think that system was playing into it. My o2s are plugged in with the heater wires still intact but still it lists those items.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Cat isn't clogged because I understand you have headers, so there are no O2 sensors after your main cat on the 5.5 gen, and you've replaced your pre-cats with headers, so there's no sensor monitoring any cat activity.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Check rog. I was figuring a possibility of the main cat being clogged.

Today it hit me with an issue that I'd asked about previously. Where it wouldn't rev over 2500 after some city driving. Came out 30 minute later and full rev. Same info still showing... don't know..
Will try cleaning the evap today and maf....sigh...as well guess ill get to testing the coils.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Check rog. I was figuring a possibility of the main cat being clogged.

Today it hit me with an issue that I'd asked about previously. Where it wouldn't rev over 2500 after some city driving. Came out 30 minute later and full rev. Same info still showing... don't know..
Will try cleaning the evap today and maf....sigh...as well guess ill get to testing the coils.
The rev issue I've at least seen that people experienced that with a bad maf...

Last edited by Cant_Get_Ryte; 08-16-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

EVAP cleaning, IMO, wont really do anything. I'd say try cleaning the MAF. I hate intermittent problems.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
EVAP cleaning, IMO, wont really do anything. I'd say try cleaning the MAF. I hate intermittent problems.
cleaned the maf last night. got on the freeway at 4am did a roundabout for twenty minutes. issue appears to be gone. True test will be today as its warmer than last night, just in case that plays in.

pulled stronger than it has been, the flat spot is gone, full acceleration is back, no issues with shifting either, the bog is gone...the only question i have is can a failing maf affect shifting on an auto?

went back to the trans shop that did my transgo install and he said that my tranny appears to be in top shape, fluid is new and well maitained, and there were no shavings or anything in the pan when they checked it.

Im curious if this ties into the other issue? I think if the issue returns ill bite the bullent on a 2k1 maf and proceed from there.

I appreciate the help with my lunatic brainstorming.