5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

looking to make the car sit even

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM

looking to make the car sit even

as we know 5th gens tend to sit a lil higher in the front than the rear, my question is if i install 4th gen front oem springs will they sit flush or will it still sit uneven. im not looking to slam the car or anything like that just want it to sit flush. any input?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by soto2635
as we know 5th gens tend to sit a lil higher in the front than the rear,
The wheel arches are larger in front.

Where are you putting your level so it indicates higher in front?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
The wheel arches are larger in front.

Where are you putting your level so it indicates higher in front?
No level needed. Known fact. All 5th gens sit higher in front stock. And with the fender opening the way it is, it makes it look even higher than it really is.

Example pic from Housecor's website:

Last edited by nismopc; 08-17-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
No level needed.
So...how will you know when its level?

Judge it off of uneven wheel arches?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 AM

Coilovers
Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 AM

No level needed. Known fact. All 5th gens sit higher in front stock. And with the fender opening the way it is, it makes it look even higher than it really is.
Known fact?

So... if I park the car on flat (relatively level) pavement, and measure the distance from the side skirts to the ground, you're saying the front of the skirt will measure higher than the rear?

Doesn't that seem kind of silly?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

Tell a fat girl to sit on the hood.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 AM

This is just about the worst way I could imagine (well, ok, maybe not "the worst", but certainly right up there) leveling our cars, but I also got sick of the stance shortly after getting my car on the road, and knowing how far down struts and springs were on my "to-do" list, I went this route for now:

Approx. $15 from napa for two pair, what the job calls for. That picture shows them in a "lifting" orientation, but if you flip 'em around, they also clamp real nicely. I pulled my front strut assemblies out, clamped two coils together, and put it all back together. Took me about an hour, and I got an instant front end drop, which leveled the car out nicely. 'Course, it bottoms out real easy now since I've severely limited the front springs' range of motion, and yeah, the nuts could come loose or the bolts could snap and then there's parts flying and springs releasing and all hell breaking loose, potentially, but I was willing to take the risk.

They've been in there for a little over a month and a half now, and I've had no issues, I've learned how to minimize the bottoming, so they'll do for now.

Throw veggies if ya want....
Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 AM

some people cut a 1/2 coil off of their front springs...? I was thinking about going the same route when i finally get some illuminas
Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 AM

dont the 4th gen springs have a lower spring rate??
Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Hustler got it right the first time. If you want to constantly tweak your ride height, pony up for some coilovers. Compromising the suspension solely for appearance sake is a fail.

Cuts and clamps...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hustler got it right the first time. If you want to constantly tweak your ride height, pony up for some coilovers. Compromising the suspension solely for appearance sake is a fail.

Cuts and clamps...
To clarify: I'm not interested in constantly tweaking my ride height- much like power mirrors- once I get 'em where I want 'em, they stay there. If I wanted to put $1400 coilovers on my car, they'd be on my car. I don't technically consider this method a "compromise", since they are designed for clamp use.

Cutting or heating springs to weaken and therefor drop, yeah, those two methods would be what I was referring to, when I mentioned "worse ways" of affecting ride height. This is non-permanent, which is what I intended. When I get around to focusing on my suspension, they'll be thrown away. Till then, at least it sits right, instead of all goofy high front end-ish. If I get labeled with a "ricer" or "looks over performance" moniker as a result, sobeit, I see it and drive it everyday.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMacks
I don't technically consider this method a "compromise", since they are designed for clamp use.
'Course, it bottoms out real easy now since I've severely limited the front springs' range of motion, and yeah, the nuts could come loose or the bolts could snap and then there's parts flying and springs releasing and all hell breaking loose, potentially, but I was willing to take the risk.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM

lol! well played, John.

Ok, so I was being a bit overly melodramatic, when I typed out the potential for failure, sue me, I don't honestly think that's going to happen, but in the interest of "caveat emptor", I had to say it.

We all agree there's a certain risk for failure in any "mod" done, to anything, yet we push on anyway, willing to accept the odds. As I said, my car's ride height was sickening, much moreso than the resulting ride quality. To each his own, duplicate if you want, remove 'em if you don't like the results.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 AM

Progress Springs.

Much improved stance and excellent ride and handling.

No need for cutting and clamps.....
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just replace your front springs with H&R's and be done with it. I will most likely be doing this within a month or so.....

But do a search. Housecor had a thread about that and i think quite a few people on here have done it with some pretty good success appearance and handling wise. If you go that route, I would definitely get a RSB as well to help counteract the softer springs in the rear.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 AM

I do wish I had coilovers for their handling performance. And if I did, I'd probably tweak the ride height... not as a priority, but because it's a coilover feature to play with. But I just couldn't justify the cost when looking at the big picture. (My personal big picture, not yours.)

So, HP Blues and stock springs... that's my compromise.

Looking deeper into Spring Clamps, they seem a reasonable way to assess height adjustment, but not at all as a final solution. You don't have to be a physicist to look at this picture and realize that recoil and integrity is compromised (there's that word again.)

I'd ride on these things the way I'd ride on bald tires... very nervous. Well, I wouldn't actually ride on bald tires, but you get my point.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by kgallerie
just replace your front springs with H&R's and be done with it. I will most likely be doing this within a month or so.....

But do a search. Housecor had a thread about that and i think quite a few people on here have done it with some pretty good success appearance and handling wise. If you go that route, I would definitely get a RSB as well to help counteract the softer springs in the rear.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-new-pics.html
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 AM

Perfect approach. I did not search to realize we could buy front springs only. That's what I should have done, and probably will when I get around to replacing my struts.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 AM

I'd ride on these things the way I'd ride on bald tires... very nervous. Well, I wouldn't actually ride on bald tires, but you get my point.

Ok, so this was when I was younger (much younger), but I did this to my '87 Sentra and it worked out well for over 3 years.

Not suggesting this to anyone!~ Just my experience.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 AM

Perfect approach. I did not search to realize we could buy front springs only. That's what I should have done, and probably will when I get around to replacing my struts.
You'll probably have trouble finding front only......you'll probably need to buy the whole set.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM

its beat... im lowered , and still have this stance...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by kgallerie
You'll probably have trouble finding front only......you'll probably need to buy the whole set.
To add to this, I've ridden on a mixed set of springs in the past, and in doing so, you learn that there is a long shot in hell you'll ever come across just a Fr or rear set, so if you really want the 'look', you'll have to pony up the extra dough and have to keep the non installed springs in your garage.

Oddly enough, I've got a rear set of Progress in my garage now.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM

and I will have a rear set of H&R's and a rear set of H-tech's sitting at home.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM

My Eibach's give a pretty even drop. And I don't think the OP cares if the front is technically higher than the rear, he just wants it to LOOK even, much like the rest of us.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Ok, so this was when I was younger (much younger), but I did this to my '87 Sentra and it worked out well for over 3 years.

Not suggesting this to anyone!~ Just my experience.
doesnt look safe at all
Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 PM

would tein s tech springs be a good set to get just for fronts or are they to low??
Old 08-17-2010, 03:41 PM

^s-techs would prolly drop the front so low that it would look more raked than even. I would avoid these cheaper methods to achieve the appearance you want without regard to how your suspension is going to handle. Just get some h&r springs for the fronts if you plan on keeping your stock shocks.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM

Known fact?

So... if I park the car on flat (relatively level) pavement, and measure the distance from the side skirts to the ground, you're saying the front of the skirt will measure higher than the rear?

Doesn't that seem kind of silly?
Yes and yes...

...been a trait of Nissan design's for a while now.

Surprised many were not aware of that. One of the biggest complaints from fellow Nissan owners to why they want to lower front more than back. Even several aftermarket springs lower car evenly which in turn still keeps the front "side skirt" higher than back.

From experience:
Maxspeed have a slight rake to them (Currently installed)
Vogtland lower car almost even front to rear and cause front to sit higher like stock look.

Housecor's pics and measurements tell the story much better...

http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html
Old 08-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Coilovers
If got the dough or some Eibach's or Progress Springs pretty cheap cause damn 15 dollar clamps
Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by roggeezy
^s-techs would prolly drop the front so low that it would look more raked than even. I would avoid these cheaper methods to achieve the appearance you want without regard to how your suspension is going to handle. Just get some h&r springs for the fronts if you plan on keeping your stock shocks.
i m on after market struts my OEM ones crapped out on me my struts are fairly new only 6k miles on them
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM

If you really want to lower your car inexpensively, try a set of Megan Racing springs (1.6F 1.5R). They work very well with stock struts and greatly improve dive, squat, body roll, and stance. I got mine for $108 on meganracingperformance.com. Here's a pic of my Max with the Megans installed:
Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
If you really want to lower your car inexpensively, try a set of Megan Racing springs (1.6F 1.5R). They work very well with stock struts and greatly improve dive, squat, body roll, and stance. I got mine for $108 on meganracingperformance.com. Here's a pic of my Max with the Megans installed:
looks good ima look into these
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 PM

I envy you guys that can get away with lowering your cars a bit. The roads in my town are so bad now I think I'll have to look into a lift kit for my Maxima.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM

I would LOVE to see a video of how the spring performs when hitting a bump on a car. Especially the lifted ones. And actually even more I would love to see a video of those flying out when hitting a bump and the car falling 3 inches instantaneously
Old 08-18-2010, 05:21 AM

Just to add my .02. Before i lowered my car with SPrints i cut my front coil half a coil. That little of a removal didn't alter my handling but made a difference in the way it looked. Dropped the front just enough to make it look good. If you cut springs the right way, and don't remove to much, you will not have a problem. I can tell you removing 1/2 a coil lowered it almost close to and inch, maybe 5/8 or so. I wanted to keep going lower until i cut a little more than a coil and i was f'd. So just don't overdue it if you do. I pony'd up for Sprints once i f'd up and the look is probably the lowest you can go on springs before coil-overs come in. Paired them with illumina's since they killed the stock shocks, and the stance is perfect.

KB i don't know about Colorado but the Mass roads are horrific. Anywhere you go potholes, big dips, cracks, everything, and don't get me started on the winter months, but once i memorized the bad spots my car rides great. With all the swerving to avoid stuff i should be an ace at the slalom course.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Cletus

lots of bad information and advice for cheap (and unsafe) suspension modification

anyone who's main purpose in moding suspension is looks needs to be slapped
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM

cut coils will not reduce the safety of the vehicle if cut correctly and not beyond the struts total rebound. When i had cut my front springs the 1/2 coil i still needed a spring compressor to attach it to the strut. when all was together it was still as tight as before i touched it. Also you dont cut it off with a torch as it does heat the metal and weaken it. i used a cutoff wheel, less heat, no fatigue. When cut more than what i should of the spring didnt sit tight unless loaded on the car and that was not gonna be driven that way. i drove for a good while with just the 1/2 coil off and it handled no different and looked better than the 4x4.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Cletus

or you could do it properly and buy new springs
Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Yes and yes...

...been a trait of Nissan design's for a while now.

Surprised many were not aware of that.

Housecor's pics and measurements tell the story much better...

http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html

How do you measure, other than on the uneven wheel arches?

Where do you put a level? Door sills?

Quick Reply: looking to make the car sit even