5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clutch Replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:06 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Clutch Replacement???

I've been an org member for awhile. Owned a 3rd gen and a 4th. I just purchased a 5.5 Friday. It's almost exactly what I've been looking for and for the price I've been looking. The clutch is a current issue though. It's slipping. A dealership mechanic and the shop foreman both told me the clutch was good, but I've driven standard transmission vehicles my entire life and know what it should and should not do.

I'm new to this part of the forum. I'm use to the fourth gen stickies which are very succinct and current. I've searched a bit in the stickies, but am I correct that there is no clutch replacement how-to's stickied? I've got the FSM, but it's nice to supplement that info with actual hands-on experience to be aware of any unforeseen difficulties others have run into. Anyone have some guidance on where to research this R&R?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM

This probably won't help much, but I did mine a few months ago and used only the FSM for the entire process. If you have the knowledge and/or experience, the FSM is all you really should need.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by nismopc
This probably won't help much, but I did mine a few months ago and used only the FSM for the entire process. If you have the knowledge and/or experience, the FSM is all you really should need.
Ok, thanks. I was trying to be prepared for misc hiccups that are inevitable with anything done the first time. I like to hear from people who actually have done it without the aid of lifts and expensive shop tools.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Yup, did it by myself in my 2 car garage using standard Craftsman car jack, jack stands and basic tools. I did however, use a electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight. Made the job go MUCH smoother.

Only snag I ran into was I had a buddy come over when I was installing the tranny. He helped line it up from the top as I was putting it back in place.

Also, I can not recall if the FSM stated to remove the crossmember or not, but I did not. Left it in there and worked around it. It kept the engine in place. ;-)