5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Upgrade for the 2001 AE

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 10:14 AM

Does anybody own a 2001 AE and what upgrades have you done. What was done and how much more horsepower was added.
Old 11-08-2000, 10:22 AM
Keven97SE

Lowering springs would be high on my priority list. The AEs are awesome looking but still up on stilts. Eibachs are available but a little on the stiff side. Ask for other inputs on those springs regarding comfort, though...I'm just rehashing what I've heard.

Power-wise, maybe just a ypipe. That should gain a good 10 HP minimum. 2001s have such good HP while still being quiet, so I'd think twice about doing all the other "noisy" mods: Intake, muffler, etc etc. Ypipe still retains quiet on a stock exhaust.

Originally posted by proudowner
Does anybody own a 2001 AE and what upgrades have you done. What was done and how much more horsepower was added.

Old 11-08-2000, 11:35 AM
Banned

I just added..>

a Stillen rear sway bar and front strut bar yesterday.
What a major difference the rear bar makes.

My last car had all the aftermarket parts and was starting to get on my nerves, so I will not be doing any power mods
for awhile...love the silent power.

Y-pipe will give you top end power on the highway and a cold air intake will give you off the line power. Installing the
intake you will loose some low end, some people don't tell you that and I would hate for you to install the intake
and not be happy with the results.

Old 11-08-2000, 01:40 PM

Re: I just added..>

The rear sway bar is a "must have" modification in my book. The FTSB helped a little, but not as much as the RSB. I'm limiting my car to handling and cosmetic mods. I'm happy with the 222 HP. I took off my JWT intake and went back to the stock airbox. Sure I gained 6 HP with the JWT, but I lost the same in torque. I like torque better. I'll possibly consider the Y pipe. With Cali spec cars, I don't think there is much to gain with it though, since we'll still have one precat left. Right now I'm enjoying the refinement of my car. Adding exhaust and other mods will take that away. I'm getting old.

Originally posted by Jeff K
a Stillen rear sway bar and front strut bar yesterday.
What a major difference the rear bar makes.

My last car had all the aftermarket parts and was starting to get on my nerves, so I will not be doing any power mods
for awhile...love the silent power.

Y-pipe will give you top end power on the highway and a cold air intake will give you off the line power. Installing the
intake you will loose some low end, some people don't tell you that and I would hate for you to install the intake
and not be happy with the results.

[Edited by Paul2kGXE on 11-08-2000 at 03:42 PM]