5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

need some advice

So about 3 weeks ago I went in and replaced my struts and after a test drive and a little gas and a big noise I lost foward and reverse its a a/t.so while I have been in the hosiptal sence the day after this happened my wife had the car towed to a shop to be checked out.I have contacted the shop and they said the drivers side axle came out and that's the only thing they can find wrong. I don't really understand how this could of happened and I was able to drive the car for about 20 minutes.there was a thumping/rubbing noise when I drove and when I gave it the gas it turned into a loud thump then some grinding noise and no drive.well the shop says it will be 748.19 to fix the issue and put the axle back in place could they be hiding something from me there not replacing the axle just putting it back into place.is it that involved I've changed axles before with nothing more then a rubber mallet and a press for the hub.btw they said they could visably see the axle end sitting outside the transmission.could of I done this when I pushed the lower control arm down to mount the bottom 2 bolts on the strut?next question is will I be able to reseat the axle without much problem ill be in the hosiptal about 4 more weeks and the on severe light duty(ulsers are a ****).
Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Get Off My Lawn

First, in doing the front suspension on my 5.5 auto, I noticed NOTHING that would indicated the control arm moving to it's lowest position would pull on or out the axle from the transmission.

Second, (in entertaining the notion they claim that the axle popped out), for a shop to charge over $700 to push an axle back in, they are full of cow poop.

Third, and finally.....it is impossible for the axle to pull out from the transmission, hub, or joint when everything is bolted securely in place. There is NOT enough play in the axle to pull it out of place. It would require unbolting the strut or lower ball joint and allow the hub to move out far enough to remove the axle from the transmission (or hub...when the nut is removed).

If the shop claims there is no damage, control arm in place, strut bolted up properly, lower ball joint didn't snap in half.....I call BS.

So, either they told you wrong that everything else is fine, and the amount they are quoting is to actually fix whatever broke. OR, they are wrong about what the problem is.

I suggest you call them back and talk to the shop foreman or the person who actually looked at the car. Sometimes at shops they communicate problems to a desk clerk who calls the customer. IF they are lacking information or given bad information or got confusted between cars, then that will screw up a lot.

Personal example: I took my company car into the shop for some work and the tires were feathering. They told me there was a technical recall on the car which required control arm and other replacement parts to correct the tire issue. I went back to have the work done several months later....they could not find the recall notice anywhere...so didn't do the work and apologized for the confusion.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 10-23-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 PM

Bump
Old 08-13-2013, 01:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Bump
You have the same issue or just bored and bumping 3 year old threads?