5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

tire reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:52 AM

tire reccomendations

It seems many (most) tires are noisy - regardless of the car brand.

I have a 2001 GLE, 16" tires standard size, and am wondering what tires the Maxima crew reccomends.

I seek all season tires - number one trait being quiet and smooth, then good wear, then handling.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 AM

Your priorities are different than most on here regarding performance so this recommendation comes second hand from a friend of mine. I have no personal experience with these tires but he is highly impressed with them.

Yokohama DB super E spec.

http://www.yokohamatires.com/

Also as well as being quiet they are the first tires made from Orange oil.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid1
It seems many (most) tires are noisy - regardless of the car brand.

I have a 2001 GLE, 16" tires standard size, and am wondering what tires the Maxima crew reccomends.

I seek all season tires - number one trait being quiet and smooth, then good wear, then handling.
I sell tires, trust me if your number one priority is smoothness and silence, then look into a set of Michelins. While they might be a little extra, they are worth every penny. I have the primacy mxv4's on my car right now and love them. Although this summer when I get new wheels I will go with a set of summer tires, either a new set of general uhp's or goodyear eagle F1's.

Last edited by LongIslandMax; 11-07-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 AM

+1, you just can't beat Michelin mxv4's for quietness and long-wearing.

The problem with them is that they are at least twice the cost of what you can get other fairly decent tires for.

So I always buy Michelins used from a local used tire store, usually the ones I get have about 65% tread left, and they cost me $150 for a set of 4, mounted, balanced, tax and tire fees all included.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 AM

Agree with the MXV4's, (my previous tires). I am currently running Kumho Ecsta Platinums and they are a real close second to the Michelins at 2/3 the price.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:58 AM

Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I have them and love 'em.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I have them and love 'em.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
I have the same tire, I like them too.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM

When I bought my Max several months ago, it came with nearly new Yokohama AS 430's in the 225-50-17 factory size, V speed rating. They are all-season M+S rated, treadwear 500, traction AA and temp A. They're very quiet and smooth, and track straight as an arrow. Despite the higher 500 treadwear rating, they actually grip and corner very well. Braking performance is also impressive for this tire, and wet braking is also very good. They are also directional, and have handled the torrential Florida afternoon thunderstorms very well and evacuate water better than I thought they would. One thing that definitely impressed me with these tires is that they don't behave like most other all seasons. Cornering traction in dry and wet is very predictable, and they don't "let go" of their grip with a shocking "Oh s**t!!!" scare. After driving on these tires for the last 4 months or so, I like them so much that I've decided to keep them till they wear out. For what you're looking for, I highly recommend these tires. Check to see if they're available in the 16 inch wheel size you need.

Last edited by T_Behr904; 11-07-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 AM

im on my 3rd set of toyo 4s, i like em
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM
You embarrass me.

Buy a set of dedicated summers and winters. Make the initial jump the first time, and you won't look back.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
+1, you just can't beat Michelin mxv4's for quietness and long-wearing.

The problem with them is that they are at least twice the cost of what you can get other fairly decent tires for.

So I always buy Michelins used from a local used tire store, usually the ones I get have about 65% tread left, and they cost me $150 for a set of 4, mounted, balanced, tax and tire fees all included.
I have also bought these tires used in the past, and these tires would also be a good recommendation as well...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

My $.02: I have sold hundreds of tires while working in the automotive industry. More importantly, I have driven on many types of tires. I want to mention that every geographic location has its own variance in road conditions so this is something you should primarily consider when searching for the correct tires for you. I agree with those who recommend the Michelin MXV4+ that they are quiet and have a great ride, even though they are a tad expensive. They are really great tires. However, in my experience I have found the Yokohama Avid V4S to be the best all season tire I have ever used on any car. We don't get a lot of rain here, but when we do it flash floods quickly(tons of pooling on the road) or drizzles(which leaves the oil on the surface of the road). Avid V4S are great at resisting hydroplaning. I am amazed every time it rains. As far as the performance side, the Avids stick in corners. I am never limited by tires, but by suspension. A word of caution: If you like to roast your tires, don't spend money on good tires with our recommended speed rating. You will be replacing them often.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:59 AM

I appreciate all of the information. All tires suggested are in the hunt. While checking them out, another tire possibility surfaced:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Maxima GLE&autoModClar=

Michelin Primacy MXM4 - anyone have any eperience with these?

I like the price / performace of the Continentals, the quiet of Michelins, and the reviews on the Yokahomas . . .

I guess I am thinking where is the sweet spot - good performance (quiet, treadwear, handling) at a good price
Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid1
I appreciate all of the information. All tires suggested are in the hunt. While checking them out, another tire possibility surfaced:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModel=Maxima GLE&autoModClar=

Michelin Primacy MXM4 - anyone have any eperience with these?

I like the price / performace of the Continentals, the quiet of Michelins, and the reviews on the Yokahomas . . .

I guess I am thinking where is the sweet spot - good performance (quiet, treadwear, handling) at a good price
I had the Pilot version of the Primacy on an Audi a few years ago in 16 inch, it was a great tire.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 PM

I don't drive a 5th gen, but I got the Primacy MXV4 tires installed on my 3rd gen less than a month ago. I'm gonna have to agree with those that recommended them. Very quiet, comfortable, better handling. Great tire I have ever had installed on my car.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:40 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

If you live where there isn't much snow in the winter, give the Bridgestone Potenza RE-760 Sports a look. Very quiet, tenacious grip and they a wearing better than any other tires I've had (Yokohama 520s, Michelin Pilot HX-MXM4s, Falken ZE-912s, Potenza RE-050 RFTs).
Old 11-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Hey Max pros - I sincerely thank you all for the input. I decided to go with the 215/55R-16 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. They supposedly wear very well, are very quiet, and provide a smooth and confortable ride - and some claim better fuel economy.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 PM

MXV4's are expensive, but awesome tires. VERY long-wearing, and very quiet.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 PM

I agree with the MXV4's, im running Goodyear Eagle F1's and I like them. They're quiet, yet grip when you need it.