5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 PM

I need your help

I've been having intermittent power loss lately and I'm trying to determine what could be the cause.

After reading many threads, I saw someone saying he had intermittent power loss and replaced his VIAS system and it fixed it.

I popped the hood of my car tonight, and tried to pull on the VIAS rod and noticed that if I pulled all the way, it would remain stuck in the open position... (this is with the engine off).

So my question is, can one of you 5.5gen owners please try to do the same thing and tell me if the VIAS valve remains open after manually opening it all the way? Thanks in advance...

Here's a pic...

Last edited by Gizm0; 11-09-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Come on guys I know it's cold out there tonight but it won't take more than 2 minutes...
Old 11-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Wish I could help answer your question but I have deleted my VIAS for a block off plate.

did you pull on the vias control arm when the engine was off? if so it most likely should have stayed open as it would require the power from the Vias control valve unit under the engine cover

In behind that plate is a large butterfly that when you pulled on the vias control arm you probably opened the butterfly plate up and because the car is not running there is no power from the vias control unit to re-close it as required, the whole system operates under a vacuum and would require the engine to be running

Last edited by Ghost_54; 11-09-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Bump!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I believe this is a normal funtion when you manually force the mechanism as you did. Either the diaphram is getting stuck at that point OR the butterfly mechanism in the intake is getting stuck.....I hope you've not damaged the diaphram doing this.

Under normal conditions, it becoming "stuck" should not occur.

Assuming for a moment this is your problem and the valve is sticking open when under normal operation/driving....I do not believe this would contribute to your "power loss." However, I'm not sure I have a CLEAR image/understanding of what you mean as a power loss. Perhaps some elaboration could provoke some commentary on problem solving your issue(s).
Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
However, I'm not sure I have a CLEAR image/understanding of what you mean as a power loss. Perhaps some elaboration could provoke some commentary on problem solving your issue(s).
When I say power loss, I mean that it takes forever for the car to go, even at WOT, I feel like I have 4 passengers in the car and the trunk full of bricks… If I go up a hill around 55-60mph, I’ll have to downshift into 4th to get above 3500rpm to get my car moving whereas before the power loss issue, I would take that hill in 6th with ease. This problem is intermittent. Some days the car runs just as new, some days, I feel like I’m towing a 4000lbs trailer…
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM

*1 more with the block-off plate*

If I recall the butterfly valve that gets actuated by the VIAS solenoid is spring-loaded. Sounds to me like the spring has broken on your unit. Either that or there is a fair amount of carbon buildup in your UIM which is making the plate stick.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 AM

There shouldn't be any "sticking". The vacuum actuator engages the valve, and the spring pulls it back to normal position.

You know, mine's in a box in the attic, but you've got me a little curious to look at it again. I'll go play with it tonight... unless I forget or become otherwise distracted.

In the meantime, here's a picture. Notice that the normal position is for the VIAS to be "open". When actuated, it closes the valve. Just saying...

Last edited by Rochester; 11-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 AM

OK, it is normally opened and closes when activated...

I don't think the spring is broken. It remains stuck in the closed position when I pull on the rod all the way, but if I push on it just a little bit with my finger, the spring pulls the lever and puts it back all the way in the wide open position...

It almost makes me feel like the butterfly valve is sticking in the closed position like Froggmann says... This should throw me a pending code if it did right? I'm going to advance auto parts tonight and have them check for any pending codes...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:54 AM

OP, you could always remove the VIAS and inspect it.

Removing the VIAS is one of those things that seems like a big deal, until you actually do it. I know that sounds like something relative to everyone's mechanical expertise, but honestly... on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is replacing your panel filter and 10 is yanking your intake manifold, this is maybe a 2.

And people, it's my scale. If I want to put "yanking your IM" at 10, that's my prerogative. It works in the context of this discussion.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
OP, you could always remove the VIAS and inspect it.

Removing the VIAS is one of those things that seems like a big deal, until you actually do it. I know that sounds like something relative to everyone's mechanical expertise, but honestly... on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is replacing your panel filter and 10 is yanking your intake manifold, this is maybe a 2.

And people, it's my scale. If I want to put "yanking your IM" at 10, that's my prerogative. It works in the context of this discussion.
I know, i've replaced my rear valve cover and did the plugs last week in about 2 hours. It shouldn't be too bad to remove my VIAS...

Last edited by Gizm0; 11-10-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Gizm0, I just now dug my VIAS out of the attic, and experimented with the moving parts. There was zero opportunity for it to rub or get "stuck" on anything. It always snapped back on the spring, smoothly.

You know, there's only a few millimeters of gap between the plate and the valve wall. I bet you there's a build up of gunk and carbon that's compromising the fit, even though the return spring is really strong. Take your VIAS out and take a look. My old one was actually clean... the previous photo was when I removed it, that's not a new one. But it's only got 60K miles on it, I use a dry air filter, and I've had a couple of upper-engine cleanings.

Good luck, man.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I also have it taken off my car. I played with it for a minute and it doesn't stick. I'd suggest a BOP as a "fix". Many of us do it just as a mod, even if our VAIS assembly is functional.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Yeah, I also have it taken off my car. I played with it for a minute and it doesn't stick. I'd suggest a BOP as a "fix". Many of us do it just as a mod, even if our VAIS assembly is functional.
This is true.

C'mon, OP. Simple, inexpensive and reversible mod. It looks pretty hot, too.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Toolie

You won't throw a code because the there is nothing mechanical to tell the ECU the butterfly is stuck. If the solenoid fires when it is told that's all the ECU cares about. So if the solenoid does fire and nothing moves mechanically due to something being broken there will not be a fault.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
You won't throw a code because the there is nothing mechanical to tell the ECU the butterfly is stuck. If the solenoid fires when it is told that's all the ECU cares about. So if the solenoid does fire and nothing moves mechanically due to something being broken there will not be a fault.
I thought I read somewhere that a faulty VIAS would throw a pending code but will not trigger any CEL?

Anyhow, I will take my VIAS off the IM this week end and clean it if it is dirty,and hope that it will help. I'm considering the NWP block off plate, but I heard mixed opinions about it. I don't want to loose low end power...
Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
I'm considering the NWP block off plate, but I heard mixed opinions about it. I don't want to loose low end power...
This time last year, I also had mixed opinions about the VIAS-delete mod.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...r-5-5-gen.html
Old 11-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Toolie

a faulty solenoid will throw a code, not a stuck butterfly
Old 11-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Update, It wasn't the VIAS, it was my MAF that was slowly dying w/o throwing any codes... I just replaced it with a 2k1 MAF tonight and my car runs like a champ now!