5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Speed Warp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 10:48 AM

2k2 Speed Warp?

I had a chance to play with my new 6spd today and I'm surprised. It didn't seem as fast as I thought it would feel, but when I looked down at the speedo I was going much, much faster than I thought. The trip computer and speedo don't always agree on the average speed either. The speedo is 5-10km/hr optimistic (or vice versa) at 120km/hr.

The time/speed warp thing my be due to a quieter engine and flatter power curves than I'm used to (98 SE and a Daytona IROC R/T). The car handles a lot flatter and tighter than the '98 as well. There are times I get the feeling that I'm riding in a simulator instead of a real car.

Is it a bad speedo (like the Altima) or does the smoothness of the 2k2 mask its real power? Maybe this car is just a bit too refined for me!
Old 12-18-2001, 11:53 AM

The car is meant to fool everyone.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2k2 Speed Warp?

Originally posted by maxed
I had a chance to play with my new 6spd today and I'm surprised. It didn't seem as fast as I thought it would feel, but when I looked down at the speedo I was going much, much faster than I thought. The trip computer and speedo don't always agree on the average speed either. The speedo is 5-10km/hr optimistic (or vice versa) at 120km/hr.

The time/speed warp thing my be due to a quieter engine and flatter power curves than I'm used to (98 SE and a Daytona IROC R/T). The car handles a lot flatter and tighter than the '98 as well. There are times I get the feeling that I'm riding in a simulator instead of a real car.

Is it a bad speedo (like the Altima) or does the smoothness of the 2k2 mask its real power? Maybe this car is just a bit too refined for me!
I agree my 6spd does not throw me in the seat like my 95 and 98 did. One look at the speedo proves that the car is accelerating a bit faster though. After testing it with my G-tech it is indeed faster. It does not push you in the seat like the 3.0 VQ because the power curve is so smooth, it does not have a jolt in the middle of the power curve like the pre 02's did.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:21 PM

Re: Re: 2k2 Speed Warp?

Originally posted by emax95

I agree my 6spd does not throw me in the seat like my 95 and 98 did. One look at the speedo proves that the car is accelerating a bit faster though. After testing it with my G-tech it is indeed faster. It does not push you in the seat like the 3.0 VQ because the power curve is so smooth, it does not have a jolt in the middle of the power curve like the pre 02's did.
wut i think it is!! it's the weight of the car.
for example i rode in my friends civic's and prelude's they hella throw u in the seats, but my maxima(2k) does not throw me into the seat. although when i race any civics or preludes i kill them, which means that my car is faster!!!! and quarter mile time is also alwayz faster in my car! i ran 15.1 and they ran like 15.4
Old 12-18-2001, 06:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2k2 Speed Warp?

Originally posted by PearlRalizinG2k

wut i think it is!! it's the weight of the car.
for example i rode in my friends civic's and prelude's they hella throw u in the seats, but my maxima(2k) does not throw me into the seat. although when i race any civics or preludes i kill them, which means that my car is faster!!!! and quarter mile time is also alwayz faster in my car! i ran 15.1 and they ran like 15.4
It's the power curve not the weight of the car. Go drive a 2000 max and it will seem like it is pulling way harder, it's not of course and it weighs about the same amount.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:25 PM
PhatGuy

Yet another fine example of a Canadian 6spd Owner!

Maxed post a reply on the Canadian Roll Call let us know where you are at:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1

Enjoy the new ride!

Originally posted by maxed

Old 12-18-2001, 07:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya i noticed even compared to my 95 auto this car doesn't fell much faster but it is so much more refined and obviosly MUCH faster, 14.3, this is the reason why people who test drove the altima and then this think the alti is faster. it's less refined. drive a GS430 and a ITR and the ITR will feel faster cus it's less refined. but the GS will be a hella lot faster.