5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0031 P0037 P0051 P0057

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 AM

P0031 P0037 P0051 P0057

I have searched on here with a few threads on the subject and NO solution. I had one o2 sensor replaced; the upstream rear one and it drove fine for a whole week with no SES light. On the following week, as soon as I turned on the car, the SES light came on. I retrieved the codes and found P0031, P0037, P0051, P0057. Obviously all my o2 sensors can't be having issues so there must be a short somewhere.

I changed out the 15a fuse by the dash, since that was the cheapest fix, but it blew quickly after starting the car.

I may just go the route of unplugging/plugging each one to see which one is the culprit and take it from there.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? As I said, all that has been changed since the problem started is the rear upstream o2 sensor; I'll unplug that one first, as it is the last one that has been changed.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM

i decided to use this thread and see where it goes since i am now getting all 4 of the same codes. p0031, p0037, p0051, p 0057. these codes have never came up before and i have an o2 simulator for the seconday o2's. if the o2 simulator was bad i would have a code for bank 2 sensor 2 as well, correct?

yesterday night i replaced bank 1 camshaft position sensor. i disconnected the negative terminal, followed the fsm, reconnected the cable, and did the ecu reset procedure as well. i let the car idle and get to normal temperature and i took it out for a spin. it ran fine in low rpms, high rpms, and WOT.

i also changed my intake setup. i removed the intake resonator box. just throwing that out there. maybe it has something to do with my problem.

besides thinking that bank 1 primary sensor went bad and o2 simulator went bad as well, what can cause this problem? it seems strange to me and want to see what input you'll can give me.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by junglee Z
i decided to use this thread and see where it goes since i am now getting all 4 of the same codes. p0031, p0037, p0051, p 0057. these codes have never came up before and i have an o2 simulator for the seconday o2's. if the o2 simulator was bad i would have a code for bank 2 sensor 2 as well, correct?

yesterday night i replaced bank 1 camshaft position sensor. i disconnected the negative terminal, followed the fsm, reconnected the cable, and did the ecu reset procedure as well. i let the car idle and get to normal temperature and i took it out for a spin. it ran fine in low rpms, high rpms, and WOT.

i also changed my intake setup. i removed the intake resonator box. just throwing that out there. maybe it has something to do with my problem.

besides thinking that bank 1 primary sensor went bad and o2 simulator went bad as well, what can cause this problem? it seems strange to me and want to see what input you'll can give me.
All I can suggest is to make sure that none of your o2 sensors are being grounded against any metal. One of my o2 sensors was grounding against the heat shield; which thankfully is completely gone - no more rattles and no more SES light.

You'll still have to replace that fuse if it is blown, otherwise the code will just come back.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Polished2002
All I can suggest is to make sure that none of your o2 sensors are being grounded against any metal.
Agree. Had that problem in an Accord I used to have. Every so often, it would just run rough but never gave me a code. Everything on the car checked out. Finally took it to my Dad's mechanic after I finally got a code that could have been anything from an O2 to a bad fuel pump (Pre-OBDII car). Fuel pressure checks out okay, while he is examining the single O2 sensor wiring, the car stalls. Restarts it, moves the wiring again and it stalled again. Pulled the O2 to get a better look at the wiring and he could see a small section where the insulation had worn off and was rubbing against the front dogbone engine mount. Changed the O2 (since the wire was part of the O2 and not the actual wiring harness-and the O2 had 140k miles on it...) and no more problems.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM

it's funny both of you'll talked about o2. everytime the car is accelarating and the rpms are going up, i get a really bad heat shield rattle. possibly from o2 touching it? i will definitely check that out tonight and hope that's the problem. thanks guys
Old 03-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I had this happen to me today. I checked the fuse an it's not blown. What would be my next step?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 PM

i found my problem but havent fixed it yet lol. after i installed headers on my car i had to extend the o2 sensor wire. my stupidity caught up to me finally. i extended the wire and ran it down right in front of the manifold without securing it so it wouldnt move and the wires, which were wrapped in black electric tape, got stuck on the manifold and melted. so i got those codes since it's basically getting a bad signal because 2 wires out of 3 are intact or no signal at all. thats why bank 1 sensor 1 codes are coming (2). and the other 2 codes for bank 1 sensor 2 is because i'm also using an o2 simulator so i guess that's not working because of the wire that burned out.

check and see if all your o2 sensor wires are still good and not touching any metal and if youve extended the o2 sensor wires recheck the wires. also take the advice that was posted above to see if your o2's aren't touching any heat shields
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So after speaking to a Nissan teach I found out that there is a fuse under the hood as well as under the dash. I swapped that one out and it blew instantly. I will get around to checking the wires this weekend. I'm sure something is gounding out. I also extended my o2s after installing my headers and only half assed zip tied them. I guess if I did it right the first time I would have saved my self the trouble.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 PM

i fixed the o2 sensor wire today by cutting out the burned section and connected all the wires again. but this time i secured the wire properly. i reset the ecu and drove around for a while, got home and shut the car off. when i got back in my car and started it, the ses light came back on. all 4 codes again. i will take a look at the o2 sensor fuse tomorrow and see if it's blown. hopefully that's the problem so i can fix it easily. i want my car to be free from the ses light! i've tackled every issue one by one and it's so frustating now.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM

the 15a fuse was blown because of the wiring issue. i replaced that fuse today and i finally have no ses light. amazing.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Biggballn
So after speaking to a Nissan teach I found out that there is a fuse under the hood as well as under the dash. I swapped that one out and it blew instantly. I will get around to checking the wires this weekend. I'm sure something is gounding out. I also extended my o2s after installing my headers and only half assed zip tied them. I guess if I did it right the first time I would have saved my self the trouble.

where is this fuse located under the hood? im getting the same codes..
Old 08-30-2016, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would a lose ground wire also cause this problem?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:26 PM

It is a possibility. There are 2 wires bolted to the engine by the oil filler cap. Remove, clean and re-install these grounds and see if this helps.