5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

i found a vac line disconnected.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 PM

i found a vac line disconnected.....

w.t.f i have been having a problem with my car being hard to start, and its bogging/hesitating at around 2000rpm when cold and gone when it warms up ( a lean mixture) i think..... so i thought my maf was bad, but hooked a multi meter up to it and checked resistance.... its fine same with my tps, i dont know what its supposed to be but when i increased throttle it smoothly dropped in resistance, same with my tps, the only other thing i thought it could be was my coolant temp sensor thinking that the motor was constantly hot..... nope just replaced it and same deal.... BUT.... when i was installing the new one... wtf a vacuum line.... disconnected....?????? well where does it go..... so i have search the area for a spot for it to go and i cant find one.... its gotta go somewhere.... so i need your help to find where it goes... it goes deep down somewhere to far for me to chase it so i need another 5th gen owner to look at the engine bay and tell me where it goes.... my vehicle is a fully loaded 2000 max auto. ac,traction control etc..... IT COMES UP FROM UNDER ALONG SIDE OF THE TRANNY DIPSTICK THEN IS ZAP STRAPPED TO A BRACKET( its like the only one there) and then runs up underneath the big hose running from the front valve cover to the intake and thats where it stops, i have ran the car and felt for air coming or going to it and i dont feel any so please someone help my find where it goes
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Based on you description, I think it's the same hose i noticed this past weekend. I could not see any place that it could connect to. I am thinking perhaps it could be a vent tube. Hopefully someone with more experience with these cars can chime in(just picked mine up 2 weeks ago).
Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM

If you have a dipstick, i'm assuming you have the auto. I have a 6 speed and I have this for my tranny. It's supposed to be some sort of transmission breather hose or something. At least for the manuals, its perfectly fine to have this. I believe the auto's should have something similar as well and this is probably what it is. A hose attached to the tranny on one end but to nothing else on the other.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM

it is just a vent/breather tube from the tranny and does not connect to anything, perfectly normal

Last edited by Ghost_54; 12-13-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM

its a breather hose for the transmission guys. It connects to no where..
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM

ghost 54 beat me too it by 2 seconds lol
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM

that soo wierd it seems kinda like a dumb design, whoy would they extend it to the top of the motor!!!!!! ah well i love this car now i just need to get rid of this bogging/hesitation when my motor is cold, i know there is lots saying its the maf or the intke gaskets but..... for me to instal a refurbished maf its almost 300 bucks and for the gaskets (which i dont want to do myself) its around 850.00 with no ses light i dont think its worth dropping that money on suspects they need to be guilty!!!!! would a maf act up only when cold
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 PM

You would not get a code that is specific to the MAF, I see you have another thread some what related to the issue here ... I suggested a full can of seafoam on your next full tank of gas to help clean your injectors and clean up your hesitation issues.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 PM

yea we dont have seafoam in canada.... i got some really good injector cleaner and ripped my tb apart and cleaned it really good! i can kinda notice it very oh so very slightly when its warm to if i very gently hit the throttle its almost like a gentle sway back and forth but very gentle its just more pronounced when its cold i think.... alot more pronounced so to date i have cleaned my tb, changed air filter and plugs, i run synthetic oil and tranny fluid, i always fill with 91 octane, changed my cts, cleaned my maf..... twice..... i know its not a misfire, its something else..... but what, i kinda started thinking it was something to do with my iacv maybe leaking coolant into my intake, but when i ckeaned my tb i didnt notice any signs or smells of coolant in either my tb or intake, but it was gunky black, but all cleaned now... i just want to start my car with no problems and drive away with no problems.... im going crazy someone chime in with a simular problem plz..... i love this car and want to think about it at night about how much i love it not how i can fix this problem, i just bought it a month ago right befor it got cold(er) didnt notice it then i put 87 on my first fill, then while reading the owners manual noticved it needs premium so i immediatly filled it with premium and put octane booster to balance it out now im having this problem, should i just go and spend the 300 on a new maf????? its a remanufactured one?????
Originally Posted by Ghost_54
You would not get a code that is specific to the MAF, I see you have another thread some what related to the issue here ... I suggested a full can of seafoam on your next full tank of gas to help clean your injectors and clean up your hesitation issues.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM

would a bad battery cause hesitation, i have been looking around and lots of people have been talking about bad batteries and there cars are hesitating (mostly on other types of cars though with different charging systems like the focus and there ecm charging units, ive been looking at my battery in my car(00 max) i know the people got all there servicing done at nissan but its a nissan battery and it looks pretty fricken old!!!!! would that be giving me my hesitation problems????? there are so many possibles for the culprit, they also cost lots of doe rae me! i could sink 3000 into this car based on what i think is wrong lol

Originally Posted by getflushed
yea we dont have seafoam in canada.... i got some really good injector cleaner and ripped my tb apart and cleaned it really good! i can kinda notice it very oh so very slightly when its warm to if i very gently hit the throttle its almost like a gentle sway back and forth but very gentle its just more pronounced when its cold i think.... alot more pronounced so to date i have cleaned my tb, changed air filter and plugs, i run synthetic oil and tranny fluid, i always fill with 91 octane, changed my cts, cleaned my maf..... twice..... i know its not a misfire, its something else..... but what, i kinda started thinking it was something to do with my iacv maybe leaking coolant into my intake, but when i ckeaned my tb i didnt notice any signs or smells of coolant in either my tb or intake, but it was gunky black, but all cleaned now... i just want to start my car with no problems and drive away with no problems.... im going crazy someone chime in with a simular problem plz..... i love this car and want to think about it at night about how much i love it not how i can fix this problem, i just bought it a month ago right befor it got cold(er) didnt notice it then i put 87 on my first fill, then while reading the owners manual noticved it needs premium so i immediatly filled it with premium and put octane booster to balance it out now im having this problem, should i just go and spend the 300 on a new maf????? its a remanufactured one?????
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM

they extend it to the top of the motor so it does not get water in it if you are retarded and drive through a large puddle or lake.....

just put nitrous on it. then it wont bog. :-)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 PM

quote:so it does not get water in it if you are retarded and drive through a large puddle or lake.....

no apparently im a retard though...... i dont know why id didnt realize that! what a dumby i am..... thanks!, do you have any insight on the battery sit. being the reason for my bog
Originally Posted by perkman87
they extend it to the top of the motor so it does not get water in it if you are retarded and drive through a large puddle or lake.....

just put nitrous on it. then it wont bog. :-)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM

haha, Everyone is always asking where that hose goes.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by getflushed
Yes we do have seafoam in Canada. And a MAF is NOT $300 for a 2k maxima. It's like $87 on courtesyparts.com or from Dave B.

Last edited by jowo9; 12-14-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 PM

hmmm..... where did you see sea foam????? lordco doesnt have it, napa doesnt have it, mopac neither, all the parts stores out here i cant find it, plz help me hahaha im sure ill have the same store out this way that you saw it at.... yea i dont want to order a tiny fragile electronic part offline and have it be screwed when its gets here.... i cant find one for any cheaper that 250 once i give them my old core.... ive never had a tps go on me what are the attributes i know hesitation but what kind when cruising does the car choke when it hits the "dead spot" or does it kinda just bounce around and feel like little misses, is it worse in cold weather or hot??
Originally Posted by jowo9
Yes we do have seafoam in Canada. And a MAF is NOT $300 for a 2k maxima. It's like $87 on courtesyparts.com or from Dave B.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM

stupid me stupid me i think i found my problem it was so obvious, but im not sure,

Acceleration Problems

<li id="jsArticleStep1"> A car that seems to hesitate or stumble during acceleration may have a faulty throttle position sensor. AA1Car.com explains if the sensor sends the wrong throttle position message to the engine, the engine will not add extra fuel to the mixture until the oxygen sensor feedback circuit steps in to correct the imbalance. This momentary miscommunication will cause the car to hesitate.

hence why i felt it really bad in the cold and thats because, when you car is cold your in a closed loop (or open cant remember) and your 02 sensors arent working until the car warms ups so when i hit my dead spot in my tps the o2 sensor isnt there to correct it, but when it gets warm i can only so slightly feel it, because the o2 sensor is correcting it.... im picking one up tomorrow and tryin it out..... hopefully the bugs gone!