5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ratcheting sound from suspension/drivetrain when accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ratcheting sound from suspension/drivetrain when accelerating from a stop

Here's a new one (for me). My 02 SE 6 speed (178,000 kms, original axles) has a speed related ratcheting sound from the front suspension/axle when I slowly accelerate in a straight line from a standstill (so not a strut bearing), but at a guess I'd say it's a bearing noise. Just replaced the driver side front wheel bearing and hub due to wear but this particular noise is still present. The 3 other wheel bearings check out and the front passenger side was replaced a year ago. I'm thinking inner CV joint or carrier bearing on the passenger axle, but I haven't come across this before, so I'm not sure, and don't feel like changing the axles until I have a clearer diagnosis. Other possibility, one or another input or mainshaft bearing. I didn't detect any play at the axles when I did a routine once over recently. Your thoughts?
BTW, Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Axles usually make a high pitched pinging type sound. Does the noise contine as you are moving or does it only occur while you accelerate?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Axles usually make a high pitched pinging type sound. Does the noise contine as you are moving or does it only occur while you accelerate?
Dennis, thx for your reply. Been busy the last few days, and the car has now developed a fairly serious vibration under acceleration. I thought it was the axle nut at first, as I had reassembled in a hurry with an impact gun after doing the bearing and had not torqued to spec. Felt a vibration, checked the nut, which was loose, and torqued properly. Next day had vibration again, checked the axle nut, and it was still tight.
To answer your question though, I only hear the ratcheting sound as I pull slowly away from a stanstill (didn't try coasting). I don't hear it after about 15-20mph, but whether that's due to increasing car/wind,tire noise or not, I can't say.
Reasonable to think the ratcheting sound at low speed indicated a worn CV joint, and the joint has now deterioated further, causing play.vibration under load?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM

PM Perkman87 about this...I'm pretty positive he had a similar issue with his Maxima. I don't remember what he found, though.

Does it sound like this?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 AM

Heya Brett,
Thanks for posting that vid. The sound I'm hearing is less a squeak and more like unhappy ball bearings... I should record a soundclip rather than try and describe it-thanks for that idea too. The vibration when I accelerate above 40 is what's really getting my attention now though...
Old 01-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Are you positive it's not a wheel bearing? I've seen bearings spin and become noisy without causing any play in the wheel. It happened to my Trans Am.

Zero play, but when we pulled the wheel hub off, you could see where two of the bearings had been pretty much annihilated.

I've also seen new bearings act noisy for a few days during "break in." How long has it been since you replaced the bearing in the front? Right after I replaced my passenger's side front, it would squeak for the first 500' or so until the bearing got warm. It did it for about a week, and hasn't done it since.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 01-05-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Positive beyond a doubt it's not a wheel bearing? Nope, been wrong too often to ever be positive. I'll take a stethoscope to everything next time I have it on the lift.The noise didn't change with the new left wheel bearing, but maybe the right one that was changed last year is making the noise and is otherwise without symptoms. What does a buggered carrier bearing on the passenger axle usually sound like? And wouldn't ya know it, no vibration today after the car spent the night outside...I think I'll just keep the thing parked outside for the winter and deal with the vibration when it thaws out in the Spring
Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 PM

I've never had the carrier bearing go bad, so I'm not sure what kind of noise it would make to be honest. The only thing my axle has done is conveniently puke its insides all over my oil pan/oil return lines.

I don't see how the carrier bearing would cause vibration, though, because it's sort of locked in place and not "free-standing" (I guess that's the best way to describe it?) like the wheel bearing is. Unless it's completely seized and blown apart, throwing the axle out of balance.

The only other issue I have had as far as vibration is from my tie rods. Under moderate to heavy acceleration, my front end would shake wildly from being out of alignment, which caused the wheel to play with the worn tie rod. Any other time, the car was smooth as silk. It didn't start happening until after I put my new axle in, though.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 PM

hmmm,interesting about your tie rods...it's such a hoot how sometimes when we repair one component on our cars, something else crops up. I didn't have this vibration before changing the wheel bearing, and the bearing installation seems to be fine, so I guess I'm experiencing unreplaced parts jealousy or something... After I get back from vacation I'm doing the engine mounts,endlinks, swaybar bushings. RE my carrier bearing question, I agree-doubtful a bad carrier would cause this vibration, but it might cause that ratcheting sound I hear. I think the vibration is another fish.