5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BC Racing Coilovers Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM

BC Racing Coilovers Discussion

Ok, so up until now, I've been dead set on getting a set of Tein SS Coilovers. I've only recently been researching BC Racing Coilovers (BR Series), and honestly, they sound amazing! Here is a great review on many coilover options (including BC Racing) on the nycmaximas forum.

http://nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=28904

From what I can gather, they're kind of an 'upscale' version of Megan Racing Coilovers that come from the same Taiwanese factory. They appear to have beefier parts, and all of the reviews I've read (in Maxima and many other car forums) are positive. These coilovers are said to have an excellent blend of handling AND comfort, and are repeatedly referred to as "feeling like more expensive coilovers". They sure look beefy.

The Tein SS setup is reputedly very comfortable, but it is said that it doesn't handle quite as well as other less comfortable setups. I know that JIC A2s are the best for handling and comfort, but this thread is for those of us who would rather not spend $2000 on coilovers. It seems to me that BC Racing offers a good balance of handling/comfort that may exceed Tein SS's.
Another disadvantage of Tein SSs is drop capabilities. I'm almost certain that they don't drop as far as many other coilovers (3.xx inches as opposed to ~4-5 inches with BC/others. So for those of use who want to enter the occasional show or ride slammed, the Teins might not be all that great.

I can't seem to find anyone currently using BC Racing Coilovers on their 5th/5.5 gen... here's a thread from the 6th gen forum in which the OP is happy with his BCs.
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...coilovers.html

If anyone with a 5th/5.5gen Maxima (or any other car for that matter) has BC Racing Coilovers or has ridden in a car with them, please let me know what you think.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

http://forums.maxima.org/advanced-su...ep-please.html
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Phatboislim just bought a set this week. Send his mom a PM, and maybe you can schedule a Play Date.

Joel, with all your research leading you to Tein SS Coilovers, do you think maybe this second guessing could be much ado about nothing? I know it's a difficult decision making a purchase like this, and the desire to absolutely make the right choice is pretty fierce.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Phatboislim just bought a set this week. Send his mom a PM, and maybe you can schedule a Play Date.

Joel, with all your research leading you to Tein SS Coilovers, do you think maybe this second guessing could be much ado about nothing? I know it's a difficult decision making a purchase like this, and the desire to absolutely make the right choice is pretty fierce.
Honestly, no, I think this second guessing is well worth it. I never actually considered BCs in the first place. They were about the only ones that I didn't actually look in to (for whatever reason), and from what I can tell, the only ones that I SHOULD have looked more in to. They sound pretty great... in fact it seems that they would probably be one of those products (like the Teins) that I would be happy with and never regret purchasing. But we'll see... there's still a lot more deciding to do. I wish I could just test them all out first!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Living where you do, you have pretty severe winters. Do they salt where you live?

I'm curious where your head is at about coilovers, winter driving, and winter corrosion. That seems to be a repeated point of discussion. These coilovers are going on a year-round, daily-driver, right?

BTW, at some point this winter, MaximusTi is buying coilovers for his bolt-on, tuned SE TE 6MT, and he's at the same decision point as you.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-06-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Winters aren't the worst here. No salt. Just sand. And if all goes according to plan, I'm moving to Florida this summer for a year or 2. If I don't though, I think coilovers would hold up just fine here in the winter.

Last edited by jowo9; 01-06-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM

my bc's are holding up pretty well so far.. they were on my brothers car for 3-4 months then about 8 months or something on my car.. we were/are both pretty low but could go lower

as for comfort, when they're set to a softer setting, they ride pretty good.. they def. ride better than aftermarket springs/struts though
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Living where you do, you have pretty severe winters. Do they salt where you live?

I'm curious where your head is at about coilovers, winter driving, and winter corrosion. That seems to be a repeated point of discussion. These coilovers are going on a year-round, daily-driver, right?

BTW, at some point this winter, MaximusTi is buying coilovers for his bolt-on, tuned SE TE 6MT, and he's at the same decision point as you.
Of all my mods I am most anticipating this change. More power is great when you use it but good suspension rewards all the time.

I looked at the 3 main players. Tein SS, BC Inverted, JIC FLTA2.

The Teins seem too have quite a strong following within the forum and Tein in general has a solid reputation. Reviews seemed positive from almost all accounts.

BC Racing reviews are similar and the inverted design is an appealing one.

Both however are made in China. I'm sure they work just fine and perform quite well for what they are. At the end of it all though, they will require servicing and the quality of materials and construction are good, just not great.

JIC FLTA2s on the other hand seems to be undoubtedly the best choice. Offering the best of both worlds in terms of ride and handling. Japanese manufacturing and I anticipate a longer service interval. These therefore are my choice.

Yes, I realize the OP isn't interested because of price point but I think this really could be one of the most important changes you make too the car in terms of actual real world day to day performance.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 PM

^^^ Anything is better than a 9 year old stock suspension Haha, MaximusTi, we even have the same summer tires! Yokohama S-drive.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Since you started to OT, how do you like the tires? Whats your wet weather experience been like with them thus far?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusTi
Since you started to OT, how do you like the tires? Whats your wet weather experience been like with them thus far?
I actually really like them on wet roads. They've gripped better than any other summer tires I've had. They're not the stickiest dry weather tires out there, but for the price ($480), I really like them. And when it starts to freeze of course they're horrible, but that's what winter tires are for.

Why, what's your experience been?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
I actually really like them on wet roads. They've gripped better than any other summer tires I've had. They're not the stickiest dry weather tires out there, but for the price ($480), I really like them. And when it starts to freeze of course they're horrible, but that's what winter tires are for.

Why, what's your experience been?
In the Wet I've also had good experience, they hook way better than anything else I've run for summers. I really wish their dry weather performance was as impressive but for the price they are hard too beat.

I also talked briefly with Brian Cattman about the Coil over subject and he also recommends JIC. That was swing vote for me.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 PM

In the Wet I've also had good experience, they hook way better than anything else I've run for summers. I really wish their dry weather performance was as impressive but for the price they are hard too beat.

I also talked briefly with Brian Cattman about the Coil over subject and he also recommends JIC. That was swing vote for me.
Yeah, his vote is worth a great deal of consideration. Unfortunately they aren't in my price range. . I'll have to 'settle' for Teins or BCs... Which is fine with me as they both have great reputations.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM

Of those 2 I think I'd pick the BC Racing ones. The RM type were my second choice. Good luck, if you are on stock suspension it should be an awesome upgrade.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Of those 2 I think I'd pick the BC Racing ones. The RM type were my second choice. Good luck, if you are on stock suspension it should be an awesome upgrade.
May I ask why you'd choose BCs over Teins?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Between the 2 it comes down too the difference in design. The inverted type reduces unsprung weight by moving the heavier parts on board. A reduction in unsprung weight is always better for performance.

That is about the only real reason, I've never been in a car with either setup.

Last edited by MaximusTi; 01-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 PM

What's the best price you've found on the inverted BCs?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM

I didn't make it that far actually. Once I started researching JIC it just became clear to me that they were going too be my choice.

The BC site itself lists them at 1450, so I would imagine they retail very close too the Tein SS.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM

I didn't make it that far actually. Once I started researching JIC it just became clear to me that they were going too be my choice.

The BC site itself lists them at 1450, so I would imagine they retail very close too the Tein SS.
Yeah, I surmised as much. Alright, well thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 05:28 AM

I'm expecting some pretty thorough reviews from both of you come Spring.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 AM

SN: best price ive seen on BC inverted were $1400 i believe..via ebay

oh yea, contact maxboy..use to be maxboyAE01 i believe..he had a white 5th gen on BCs..he loved them. he just told me to grease the threads and try to get some dust covers for them to prevent any seizing.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM

i have them and love them, but no matter what a 5th gen maxima will never handle good, even with coilovers, fstb, rstb, rsb, and stage 2 ltb, and new tires our chassis and steering system are horrible lol
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 AM

i dont know about you Ricky...but my maxima can turn on a dime

Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 AM

A 40ft dime
Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM

41.24' dime
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM

They retail close yes. Within a couple hundred dollars.

Shipping is where you get killed (in Canada). I have been waiting for contact from BC Racing since Tuesday, they informed me they have Canadian distributors, but have not given me any answers yet, I've left many emails and phone calls, no response. This is one of the reasons I've been straying away from them, if this is any indication of their customer service.

Originally Posted by phatboislim
oh yea, contact maxboy..use to be maxboyAE01 i believe..he had a white 5th gen on BCs..he loved them. he just told me to grease the threads and try to get some dust covers for them to prevent any seizing.
I was going to use Graphite Spray, then Vinyl tape, then Vaseline (you could skip the vinyl tape). Basically whatever will protect the threads without compromising them. You want something that will last too, don't want to have to lube them weekly, this is why I was leaning toward graphite spray that shyt sticks VERY well.

Personally, I'm only really interested in dropping because of the 19s (looks), better handling is a bonus, but I'm more concerned with the ride, I don't want to compromise too much comfort for drop. Basically, whatever you choose will be better than stock handling, and that's good enough for me.

The reason I would choose Tein SS for MY application is:
1. Almost bulletproof reputation, even in cold temperatures and salt.
2. Ride quality
3. Reasonable price (when comparing to similarly ranked products)

The only reason I would choose BR Series BCR's over Tein SS is to save a couple hundred bucks.

And the only reason I would be Leary about the RM type BCR's is because I can't find much info on Reliability.

Seems like BCR is making a great product, and definately worth considering!

Downloaded spell check

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-07-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM

keep in mind the profile tire that you have on your 19s....i think this is a reason why i am steering away from 19s..i MAY go back later...but right now im focused on 18s again
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
keep in mind the profile tire that you have on your 19s....i think this is a reason why i am steering away from 19s..i MAY go back later...but right now im focused on 18s again
Yeah ride quality will be comprimised.
I have the OE size for the G37 tires too, so they are 1" higher than stock. Shouldn't be too bad on them, but I have the proper sized tires to mount up when those burn out.
Funny, my winter tires are for my old 97 Maxima, so they are 1" smaller than stock .

One extreme to the next...
\
WAIT!! I've got it!! Screw coilovers, I'll just get smaller tires !
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 AM

^GL with that lol
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

mount up some turd gen rims with lo pros yo. that'll drop it pimpin styles
HaHaHa

I got a reply from BCR:

Matt,

Sorry we have been closed all week for emails and phones due to a expansion and end of year inventory. Your emails have been responded as we are processing orders and this is a vendors section.

For your particular application I would not recommend inverted. Inverted are track only setups, they require more up keep. The BR is a better alternative if this car is seeing public streets and is a cheaper alternative as well. As for pricing the kit would be 35 more for Canada and would be a total of 1085 shipped to your door. If your set on inverted the cost is 200 more. Let us know if you have any questions or how we can be of service.

Thanks, Mike

BC RACING NORTH AMERICA
1-321-206-6381 TEL
1-800-741-1972 FAX
Sounds decently legit, happy to hear back from them finally (it took one firm message stating that I would not be using them if I didn't get some replies, etc, then I got an almost immediate reply!)

I have also inquired whether that is shipped from US or Canada, and what his description of 'upkeep' is.

But this reaffirms my statement about the Inverted series needing more frequent replacement/maintenance.

-Matt
Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM

I think any Coilover setup will require servicing (Removed, shipped away to be rebuilt, reinstall) fairly often. Usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35K Miles.

More of a maintenance item then the typical spring/strut OEM setup.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 PM

I think any Coilover setup will require servicing (Removed, shipped away to be rebuilt, reinstall) fairly often. Usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35K Miles.

Is that a recommendation from CO manufacturers, or an opinion you've come to in your research?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Sponsor

D2 Coilovers are a much better choice then the BC. Some points:

-D2 are made in Japan

-D2 has indivudal adjustability to adjust each coilover as 1 unit

-D2 uses pillowball mounts made with steel bearings. Rubber is crap.

-D2 uses 52mm shock bodies. BC does not.

-All D2 Coilovers have locking collars.

-Fully rebuildable in the U.S. with an outstanding customer service and 2 warehouses in the United States.

BCR is made in China. The rear lower mounts on BC are all steel where as the rear lower mounts on D2 is aluminum. Aluminum is more expensive and lighter.

Last edited by JM AUTO RACING; 01-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM

^^^ Oh yeah, that jumbled mess of spelling and grammar errors REALLY makes me want to rush to buy some D2s. Please stay out of my thread with your poor attempts at product promotion. You don't even have your facts right. For one, BC Racing is out of Taiwan, not China.

Last edited by jowo9; 01-07-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Sponsor

I was merely posting differences since this thread was an informative thread. Nowhere did I ever mention to sell them.

PS. Sorry I spelt racing wrong :-)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Ok, but you are horribly inaccurate! For example, you said D2s have a
52mm shock body, while BCs do not. BCs actually have a 53mm shock body.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Sponsor

I believe only the top of the line model has the 53mm shock bodies.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM

from persons who have ridden in D2s opposed to BCs, if i remember correctly BCs still ride better. i'm not saying D2s are bad, because you can easily set them to soft, but id rather ride BCs. if i make this mistake, ill make it. not to mention i DID save opposed to buying D2s right now so...
Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
^^^ Oh yeah, that jumbled mess of spelling and grammar errors REALLY makes me want to rush to buy some D2s. Please stay out of my thread with your poor attempts at product promotion. You don't even have your facts right. For one, BC Racing is out of Taiwan, not China.

Not exactly accurate, but what I think you may be trying to get accross is that coilovers have a shorter life expectancy that OE Strut/spring, this is true.
As far as needing coilovers rebuilt, you shouldn't need to rebuild the enitre assembly.
The Shocks are what usually wears out, this is a common replace/rebuild item for coilovers, depending on the brand and type of use/abuse, it's not uncommon to have to Rebuild/Replace a couple shocks every year or two, (around your listed mileage).

If there are any other components wearing out in this time frame, it's because the Coilovers are junk, pretty simple. If you can't make bushings, mounts, bodies and springs that will hold up to the treatment COILOVERS WILL RECEIVE BY NATURE then your product is garbage.

This is why I will not buy cheap junk, I'd rather spend the money on more expensive well built Spring/strut combos that will actually last if I'm not going to get GOOD coilovers.

Quick Reply: BC Racing Coilovers Discussion