5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Day After Pilot Sport A/S Install Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 06:54 AM

Day After Pilot Sport A/S Install Report

Last night I got my 225/50-17 Michelin Pilot Sports installed. They were 209.99 a piece installed with lifetime balance and rotation from Costco...

Intial reaction: they obviously look more aggressive than the oem's, the road feel is much improved, the feel is a lot tighter and more precise, one problem is that the car is pulling to the right (tires have so much grip, if it is off, you know it), I have to check the air pressures, ailignment might be off from accident I had (read my thread on it)

1st Road test: imho, these tires turn the Max from a sedan into a true sports sedan, the oem tires are put on the car for the reason of being easy to handle for the older, more luxury oriented crowd, the Pilot Sports give you so much road feel and precision that you actually have to do a lot of work to drive. I think road noise is down. I also think they enhance the value and performance of the RSB and FSTB...

On some twisties: I only went on about a mile of good twistie road on my way home from the gym. That's where these tires really show their worth. You feel a lot more confident with these tires. I didn't get any of the slipping feel while taking a sharp 'S' curve that I got with the old tires. They are pretty much point and shoot...

Are they worth the $100 more than other brands of the same size?
-Don't know yet, I'd have to drive them in rain and get my alignment checked

I'll report again after a 3 or 4 tanks of gas (900 miles or so) to tell you what I think then, I'll also take some pics...

backround: 2k Maxima SE, RSB, FSTB, stock everything else...

PS: If you live in the Northern Delaware area, the Costco (Christiana Mall) where I got them ordered an extra set of 4 accidently. You can get them right away there if you want. You need a costco membership, I tried to us my mom's, but the tire tech helped me out and used his (he gets 2% back which comes out to about $17 for him).
Old 12-20-2001, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice write-up. But, what tires are out there in that size for $100 less??
Old 12-20-2001, 03:36 PM

Once you drive them in the rain, you'll be a true believer.

Give them some miles to "break in" and that pull to the right might go away. I remember day one including some odd feel that went away after a couple hundred miles.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:13 PM

Has anyone used these tires in the snow yet, Toronto had their first snowfall last Friday and now I know how bad my stock tires are.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by MaxRPM
Has anyone used these tires in the snow yet, Toronto had their first snowfall last Friday and now I know how bad my stock tires are.
I'm heading up to Whistler the 3rd week of January. I haven't decided yet...either renting a 4x4 or giving my Maxima a shot. That run up Route-1 can be pretty rough, so I'm not sure the Maxima will get the experience...if it does, I'll be sure to let everybody know how it handles with the Pilot's.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:46 PM

Max_Gator,

Those are the Nittos. 450 Extreme.

I just got mine today from Discount Tire, $118 ea. Mounted.

I was going to wait until I got some more time behind the wheel to report, but…

Overall, they’re one hell of an improvement over the Potenzas. I haven’t driven on Pilots so I can’t honestly compare the two. But after the first 20 miles, I’d say I like them but not enough to write them a poem.

More details to come.
Old 12-20-2001, 04:54 PM

Ahhhh Whistler.....I LOVE THAT PLACE

You're so lucky to be living that close. I went there for the first time in April. Now, I only want to go there when I travel for skiing. Again....you are so lucky !

P.S. I just got my Pilot Sports put on one hour ago !!
Old 12-21-2001, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by Adboy
Max_Gator,

Those are the Nittos. 450 Extreme.

I just got mine today from Discount Tire, $118 ea. Mounted.

I was going to wait until I got some more time behind the wheel to report, but…

Overall, they’re one hell of an improvement over the Potenzas. I haven’t driven on Pilots so I can’t honestly compare the two. But after the first 20 miles, I’d say I like them but not enough to write them a poem.

More details to come.
Thanks. That's the first I'd heard of those Nittos. Anyone else have any experience with them? I was going to get the Pilot Sports since there wasn't really anything else out there in 225/50/17 and nothing wider is *supposed* to go on the 7" rim.
Old 12-21-2001, 07:58 AM

yeah, I'm going to have to wait until my car stops pulling right to write a poem...

btw, I went around an almost 90 degree turn last night at 45ish MPH...I would never have even tried this with the potenzas...after I got out of the turn, I couldn't believe I made it through without any slipping sounds...very nice tires...
Old 12-21-2001, 08:11 AM

Nittos

Posting a 100-mile Nitto review now...

Overall, very good. Not "freakin' awesome," but very good.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:05 AM

I haven't yet, but hopefully next week....

when I go to Vermont I'll be able to test them out in the snow. You should see the tread pattern and depth on these things...I can't imaging them not doing well in snow.

I need to see some snow next week....I need to ski on my new skis and boots so bad....I can't wait !