5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BOSE question, left channel cutting out intermittently w/ CD player....

Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 PM

BOSE question, left channel cutting out intermittently w/ CD player....

So, I've had my 5.5 gen for a week now and pretty pleased overall (other than getting less than 20 mpg so far). Anyway, I have never been a BLOSE fan, but I was pretty impressed with the BOSE setup in the Max and quality got much better when a burned a couple audio CD's. However, after a few short minutes of playing I noticed the left channel (not sure if only front left speaker or whole left channel) cut out. I tried double checking the balance and it was fine. When I put the balance to the max on the right side, it is quite loud, however when going to left side it is very VERY muffled and quiet. Anyone had issues like this? Strange thing is that it only seems to happen with CD playback, I haven't noticed it at all with AM/FM. I really didn't want to do a full overhaul with new powered fronts/rears/subs for at least 8-10 months, because it sounded OK for the time being, but I don't want this issue to make it a necessity sooner. It seems to "come and go" while I'm driving while mostly just the right side is louder. BTW, where should my CD changer be, because I definitely don't see it in the trunk.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:23 PM

The CD changer is built into the 5.5 headunits.

As for the sound cutting out on the left when listening to CDs, it is a known problem. You have three choices:

Open the bose headunit and reseat a ribbon cable. It's a little involved but can be done. You will need to search for that thread on here.

grab another 6 CD bose head unit from somewhere and do the swap. It's mostly easy. The hard part will be removing the 4 screws on the sides of the radio from the bracing. Total PITA and you need to muscle it.

Swap the Bose out for an aftermarket.

It only happens with CDs. You can rock out all day with the radio or cassette just fine. I mostly listen to mp3's via a cassette tape adapter and tucked the wiring in the side of the console.

Last edited by TallTom; 02-19-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Not that I don't want to help, but I would be wasting effort on an issue that has been covered extensively.

Click on the search button at the top of the forum, and try typing "bose cut out" or similar. All your questions and more will be answered.

Last edited by sparks03max; 02-19-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Well, I guess that's sort of good news. I'll have to do the search and try and repair for now. I would guess the mp3/cassette quality isn't too great compared to cd. Thanks for the help
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM

Just an update and quick question. I did search and found a decent .pdf write-up that someone did with good pics on replacing or resetting the ribbon cable, so will have to do soon, but I am curious also that it seems to be skipping a LOT, and not with bumps in the road. Brand new burned unscratched CDs. Could this skipping be related the the left channel cut-out issue as well?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM

I had that problem with my junk factory stereo too.
Worst factory stereo ever in a car. Everyone has the same problems with it, its just a huge POS. The only thing mine did not do (wrong) was the channel cutout. The sub would cutout, the CD's would intermittently read and it would skip constantly.

Threw it all in the garbage, replaced with aftermarket. Bliss!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Normally the stereo is the first thing I replace in a new used car. I was such an audioholic when I was a teenager I spent almost $9k (no labor, all materials installed myself) on a huge system for my JDM converted turbo Integra. I was actually surprised at how decent the CD sound was with the factory maxima bose until all the cutout and skipping of course. Thing is I have an $8k trip I'm saving for this fall, plus I want to get my Jeep (XJ) running before next winter, so I really didn't want to plan on a $2-$3k stereo install. Guess I'll try to repair for now and go from there.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigorangexj
Just an update and quick question. I did search and found a decent .pdf write-up that someone did with good pics on replacing or resetting the ribbon cable, so will have to do soon, but I am curious also that it seems to be skipping a LOT, and not with bumps in the road. Brand new burned unscratched CDs. Could this skipping be related the the left channel cut-out issue as well?
The write up you have found is well written and does give you a method to perform a TEMPORARY FIX, as it will only fail again. It is just a terrible design in the first place for a head unit, the speakers are poor quality and the sub just doesn't cut it at all. So you can mess with the current system, and get it working (for a short while) listen to poor quality sound reproduction, become even more frustrated when you have to sit down and perform the repair yet again (probably wind-up drinking to many beers) and think it once again sound pretty good. Or do what most of the guys will tell you and keep telling you ... Have the entire system replaced with a far superior Aftermarket unit, replace all the speakers add a sub if you wish and then put your key in the ignition fire up that beast and enjoy your music while your driving.