5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Roof Spoiler pics **POST UP**

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Roof Spoiler pics **POST UP**

I'm mainly concerned on seeing a white 5th/5.5 gen w/ a color matched roof spoiler, but since there are no threads, that i see with roof spoilers, i wanted to take the time to see some posted up. i'm trying to decide if i should get one (and have it painted) or what not...

SOOOOOOOO POST UP!!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM

In for a pair of pennies.

Booooo to roof spoilers.

That is all
Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Google Images. Search on "White Maxima". I think roof spoilers look dumb most every time, particularly on white.

But sometimes it works, and I don't know why that is. (Doesn't work on this AE below.)

Last edited by Rochester; 03-11-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 AM

lol i guess i failed on searching...home boy Juan's i forgot he had one...what do yall think about a white painted one?

SN: i think its still a decent thread, at least people will get a good idea about how itll look on their color
Old 03-11-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Google Images. Search on "White Maxima". I think roof spoilers look dumb most every time, particularly on white.

But sometimes it works, and I don't know why that is. (Doesn't work on this AE below.)

See look how bloody gorgeous that car is, then there is a roof spoiler, and it just doesn't look right anymore, it doesn't look HORRIBLE, just out of place. The roofline is perfect on our cars, the angle is small, the spoiler throws it all off.
Also, is that PS'd or is his trunk open? what's going on there?

I think it's a great thread Slim. I know there are a lot of guys on here that like them. I'm just not one of them.

And that pic really makes me regret not ponying up an extra $500 for the AXIS decade wheels I was going to buy. Thanks for reminding me Roch,

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM

im seriously considering it...but im thinking black for the reason of the tint and 'black trim' around the rear window, on top of me eventually planning to black out the chrome trim around the windows.

i understand though, having one of these is a hit or miss
Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM

One of the things I was looking for at Maxus2010 was the roof spoiler on the 5th gen. And there was no shortage of examples. Seriously.

Looking at these things close up, and assessing it in a more fluid manner than still photography, you get a different perspective. And with that, they all looked colossally stupid. Tacky, cheap, tack-on, crude, childish, ricey... Go ahead and pick your favorite adjective.

Sometimes, with the right photograph on a dark colored Maxima, it can look really good. But that isn't real, it's just a picture.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 AM

One of the things I was looking for at Maxus2010 was the roof spoiler on the 5th gen. And there was no shortage of examples. Seriously.

Looking at these things close up, and assessing it in a more fluid manner than still photography, you get a different perspective. And with that, they all looked colossally stupid. Tacky, cheap, tack-on, crude, childish, ricey... Go ahead and pick your favorite adjective.

Sometimes, with the right photograph on a dark colored Maxima, it can look really good. But that isn't real, it's just a picture.
that almost goes for any mod. but i fully understand what you are saying though, i'm on the fence about it
Old 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
that almost goes for any mod. but i fully understand what you are saying though, i'm on the fence about it
No. No it doesn't. Headlights baked with painted trim looked pretty good, because it's a visual mod that works with the design. The roof spoiler, on the other hand, it works against the design. There's a difference. It's this reason why the AE skirts are so much superior to Stillen.

Now, interpretation of that difference is personal, and some people dismiss the deeper analysis as simply a matter of taste. But I believe the core of good taste is an appreciation for design. It's not random.

Take notes. There might be a quiz later.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-11-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:51 AM

i HATE quizzes!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:43 AM

I am terrible at quizzes! I hope there is a large curve as I will need it to pass.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 PM

i personally love the roof spoilers
Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 PM

post up your pic...i keep forgetting what yours looks like, or even if you had a pic of what it looks like
Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Are you familiar with the phrase, "Something only its mother could love"?

Full-height rear-window spoiler, with extra gold teeth.

Wait for it...
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM

get outa here!!!!!!!!! LOLOL
Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

i hear ya. im partial to the half size spoiler. shrug. to each their own.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM

thats my car right there... trunk looks off cause the latch came lose..... and Bryan ill say painted cause theres no point on leaving it black the point is to let ppl know u have an spoiler. i don know if ur windows are tinted but if they are it wont look rite if u leave it black. na mean.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:10 AM

^^^
Roof spoiler aside... props on the photography, maxboy01AE.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:55 AM

I guess I see how clashes can take the critisism as I don't think there is any smart comments that coulb said to make me even think twice on roof spoilers.... when I get home ill post it.... the whole earth could hate it, its for a fact that ill be getting another one
Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 AM

^^^
Roof spoiler aside... props on the photography, maxboy01AE.
No doubt, Love the photo looks great

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I guess I see how clashes can take the critisism as I don't think there is any smart comments that coulb said to make me even think twice on roof spoilers.... when I get home ill post it.... the whole earth could hate it, its for a fact that ill be getting another one
You stand your ground son!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I don't think there is any smart comments that coulb said to make me even think twice on roof spoilers...
To paraphrase (or interpret ), ultimately "It just is" runs as the bedrock underneath most everything that requires judgment of taste, morality and humor. However, if you can't articulate a defense of those most basic personal assumptions, then the discussion breaks down as useless. Or rather, pointless.

Good luck with that.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-12-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 AM

To paraphrase (or interpret ), ultimately "It just is" runs as the bedrock underneath most everything that requires judgment of taste, morality and humor. However, if you can't articulate a defense of those most basic personal assumptions, then the discussion breaks down as useless. Or rather, pointless.

Good luck with that.
It's just a spoiler John you don't need to go waxing too philosophical about it

Just playin, I love your little 'shpeals'. Very thought provoking compared to a normally 'dat's sick yo', or 'you're an idiot for doing that' type of general forum attitude.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 PM

I have had mine on my car for about 4 months now it's painted to match my car, 20% tint and I think it looks good. I could care less what others may think if it's ricey or tacky it's my car I don't follow the sheep I heard enough of all the oh it's not cool unless you have bags bbs wheels and a big turbo on the vw forums at that point all of the cars look the same I rocked stock wheels with a big turbo and it blended in perfect. I plan on washing mine tomorrow and I'll post up some pics of it for the op
Old 03-12-2011, 09:36 PM
You embarrass me.

I am torn with the half-size roof spoiler. I think it looks good sometimes, and other times the top part is too angled for my taste.

The full-size roof spoiler, however, is an abomination.

If there was a half size spoiler made with the angled part flush with the flat part of the roof, I'd be sold instantly.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I am torn with the half-size roof spoiler. I think it looks good sometimes, and other times the top part is too angled for my taste.

If there was a half size spoiler made with the angled part flush with the flat part of the roof, I'd be sold instantly.
I agree with most of these points.

I had no idea there were 2 different sizes though? That may be why I puked in my mouth when I saw a couple, but other times it didn't look so bad.

The angle is what kills it for me, it's like it swoops up off the roof. which just doesn't flow at ALL.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
The angle is what kills it for me, it's like it swoops up off the roof. which just doesn't flow at ALL.
Yes and yes. To your point, zero, the roofline, rear window and c-pillars on our cars don't really support the design you're referencing. But I agree, when it works, it looks pretty good. The stillen roof wing on the 7th gen isn't half-bad, probably because it's so much more subtle.

And then there's this, by way of Bizarro World example. Brace yourselves. Ignore the trucks.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 AM
You embarrass me.

That's the Full Size roof spoiler.

I'll draw something up in Flash to show the angle I mean. It would look perfect and flush with the car. Hopefully someone that is in fabrication is reading...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM

i agree with this post 100% after seeing that pic of the white one with the full size

but yea if one was made thats similar to the ones made for the 6th gen it'd be no questions asked if i wanted one
Old 03-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

Says the 50 year old man
Old 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by clashez1983
Says the 50 year old man
I don't think you could've said anything more ignorant. I'm assuming the 1983 in your screen name is related to your birth year, which is very original, which means you are older than a good amount of owners on here including myself. Yet you have worse taste and can barely type properly. I can understand you're butthurt because people don't shop in Aisle 5 at Autozone like you, but Rochester is a valued member with actual contributions to this site as opposed to the IQ dropping posts you make us suffer with. Your car isn't mint, you're not a drifter in a FWD car, and for the love of god "classic" doesn't have two "a"s.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Yes and yes. To your point, zero, the roofline, rear window and c-pillars on our cars don't really support the design you're referencing. But I agree, when it works, it looks pretty good. The stillen roof wing on the 7th gen isn't half-bad, probably because it's so much more subtle.

And then there's this, by way of Bizarro World example. Brace yourselves. Ignore the trucks.

See, there's that puke-in-mouth again.

That really, no exaggeration, makes me sick to my stomach.

I don't think you could've said anything more ignorant. I'm assuming the 1983 in your screen name is related to your birth year, which is very original, which means you are older than a good amount of owners on here including myself. Yet you have worse taste and can barely type properly. I can understand you're butthurt because people don't shop in Aisle 5 at Autozone like you, but Rochester is a valued member with actual contributions to this site as opposed to the IQ dropping posts you make us suffer with. Your car isn't mint, you're not a drifter in a FWD car, and for the love of god "classic" doesn't have two "a"s.
It's about time for a post like this.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
Says the 50 year old man
Age is clearly displayed in my profile. Reading > You.

Unlike the roof spoiler on the 5th gen, there are many ways to be distinctive without being blatantly foolish, or gaudy. However, full-on clown does suit certain people better than others. So keep leading with your strengths, buddy, and you'll continue to do great things here.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Because I Can

:matt93se:
Old 03-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM

I had a roof spoiler for a short time. It was...meh.

There were days I loved it, days I hated it. But at any rate, I sold it off in pursuit of other things.

Now, like Z said, if there was an option that was more subtle like the 6th/7th gen roof spoilers, I'd jump all over it.

Personally, I've always been a fan of the Scooby roof spoilers. If someone could design something like that (that's maybe a little bit shorter height-wise), that'd be my first choice.

Something like the one on the back of this IS300:

Or this:

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 03-13-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:13 PM

I'm all for the roof spoiler its great and all..but more importantly i care for is just the regular spoiler on our 5th gens. I say if you get the roof spoiler, paint it to match the color of the car. Otherwise If you just leave it black..it might not look right unless you have tint. But great pic nice shot..must being using some kind of high end camera. :-D
Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 PM

SN:

Old 03-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

. Your car isn't mint, you're not a drifter in a FWD car .
Yea my car is pretty much mint since it did get a fresh paint job last month and it sleeps in a garage

DRIFTER.....One that drifts, especially a person who moves aimlessly from place to place

Take it easy son you dont have to defend your daddy ( role model ) i was just JOKING around or do i have to tell u the meaning of that to. I happen to like the roof spoiler its obvious that not many people over the age of 40 won't like the roof spoiler that all i was saying

Rochester i was just kidding around no hard feelings

Last edited by Clashez; 03-13-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

Taste is taste some may like the roof spoiler some wont.... why doesn't every body wear penny loafer, super tight pants and flowered shirts cause this guy does and calls it subtle..

Last edited by Clashez; 03-13-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:02 PM

I motion for

Quick Reply: Roof Spoiler pics **POST UP**